New True Visions Hd Box

thaimate

So for example, if someone signed up for the free HD content trial and got the new HD box, and then decided during the free trial not to continue the HD programming, would they just keep the HD box and use it for their regular ongoing SD package... Or True would come along and take back the HD box and give the customer back their old SD box?

I'm confused...

If I had to guess, since HD boxes can show SD and HD, deposit fee is the same, monthly rental fee is the same, and assuming HD boxes are not in short supply I would guess True would not swap the HD box for a SD box as that would just cost them man-hours (money) to come do the swap-out and to repackage to use again. Maybe they hope just having a HD box will eventually entice a person to sign up for HD service/programming.

However, but, trying to guess the mindset of a Thai company when it comes to service and charges is like trying to hit the bullseye with a dart from a 100 meters on a windy day while drunk.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my box is up and running ,and the further it runs the better as far as i am concerned ,where with my old box i could put my favourite channels in order it seems that with this box you cannot ,all you can do is put a star next to your favourites (20 max) though what use this is i cannot for the life of me think as you still have to scroll through dozens of channels you do not want to watch ,you can of course put the number of the channel you want in ,but then you have to write a list of your channels you watch . if this is what i have to go through to watch a channel then true have just lost a customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic. I hv learnt a lot from this forum related to True’s current decoder “upgrading” project. I am using both gold cable/silver satellite packages with 21in, non-HD TV. I recently gleaned this, maybe interesting, little snippet which I don’t recall seeing on the forum so far. (I am definitely a user only and not a techy). Further apologies if already discussed here.

From my latest conversation with True, I understood that HD must be (for them?) transmitted in mpeg4. Was informed that old sat. digital boxes were/are mpeg2 compatible only.

As a result true are intending to transmit both SD / HD in mpeg4 so old dig. sat. boxes will refuse all signals.

Only exception is some packages below Silver, eg Knowledge, where apparently mpeg2 signal is to be maintained (seems illogical ?) so no need to change sat.box (assuming Knowledge package is available on satellite system, no idea).

I do not hv technical ability to evaluate above comments but if correct, seems like most people will shortly be forced to relinquish old True, dig.boxes, like it or not. Or maybe it is just (more) BS ?.

Having recently ugraded my cable set-top box to HDplus, I totally agree previous post that, compared to old dig.sat. boxes, the non-ability to re- number channels is a massive negative “bonus”, not to mention the necessity to use 4 steps to solely view the list of selected favorite channels or 2 steps to start rotating thru the list (even the old analog cable box allowed rotation directly).

In addition, it requires a gorilla-sized hand to cover the remote.

The only positive cable benefit that I noticed was a major increase in quality of picture compared to old analog display, now on a par with my dig.sat.picture, maybe even slightly better.

Maybe the theoretically forthcoming PVR , VOD etc functions will carry weight for some users but personally, at the moment, if I could think of a way of retaining my current dig. sat. box, i wouldn't hesitate.

Rgds / Stan

From my latest conversation with True, I understood that HD must be (for them?) transmitted in mpeg4. Was informed that old sat. digital boxes were/are mpeg2 compatible only.

As a result true are intending to transmit both SD / HD in mpeg4 so old dig. sat. boxes will refuse all signals.

Only exception is some packages below Silver, eg Knowledge, where apparently mpeg2 signal is to be maintained (seems illogical ?) so no need to change sat.box (assuming Knowledge package is available on satellite system, no idea).

It's always a bit of a mystery of what TrueVisions is really doing and why...

But as for your comment above, I believe their Knowledge Package is available via satellite as well as cable service...

And most of the channels available via the KP are also part of the higher level, more expensive packages... apart from the extra "premium" channels that get added on.

So not sure how the older model satellite boxes could be blocked from receiving those MPeg2 signals for KP channels....

Probably a move to tie the card to the box and squeeze out those who use the Dreambox?

I am one of these devils who uses a Dreambox and I will keep the current system as long as I can.

The new True receiver is a totally outdated Samsung with plenty of problems (google it) and (for the time being) no recording capabilities. Experience with True's previous PVR teaches us that movies recorded on their box can only be played back with the decoder card inside (unlike the Dreambox).

Moreover, the so-called HD channels are really of very inferior quality, hardly any better than the normal corresponding channels (picture ad sound), so not worth the money.

I was told the present signal will be turned off in June. Further information was not available, although I was promised a technician will contact me. Nobody did.(Why am I not surprised?). I guess the new "signal" is a different encoding. Presently True uses Irdeto. Maybe they switch to Viaccess.

I originally called True right at the start for this (Aug/Sep?) in the hope I would get in October. I was told someone would call back. No-one did. So I called again a few weeks later and they said November was the earliest. Then the floods came and they put back a few days due to being busy. Then for the revised date the technician rang and said could he come the following Tuesday. In the event he didn't turn up. So 3rd appointment missed. Just called and they said March at the earliest. What a joke! I asked to speak to the guy's manager, and allegedly I'll get a call back.

Typical True. People who don't necessarily want it, get it as a priority (for True). People who asked, they b*lls it up as usual.

Are there any alternative packages yet to buy in Thailand? Someone mentioned True may lose the Premier League next season. If so, I'd be very happy to go with whoever gets that... :)

Dear All,

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic. I hv learnt a lot from this forum related to True’s current decoder “upgrading” project. I am using both gold cable/silver satellite packages with 21in, non-HD TV. I recently gleaned this, maybe interesting, little snippet which I don’t recall seeing on the forum so far. (I am definitely a user only and not a techy). Further apologies if already discussed here.

I do not hv technical ability to evaluate above comments but if correct, seems like most people will shortly be forced to relinquish old True, dig.boxes, like it or not. Or maybe it is just (more) BS ?.

Having recently ugraded my cable set-top box to HDplus, I totally agree previous post that, compared to old dig.sat. boxes, the non-ability to re- number channels is a massive negative “bonus”, not to mention the necessity to use 4 steps to solely view the list of selected favorite channels or 2 steps to start rotating thru the list (even the old analog cable box allowed rotation directly).

In addition, it requires a gorilla-sized hand to cover the remote.

The only positive cable benefit that I noticed was a major increase in quality of picture compared to old analog display, now on a par with my dig.sat.picture, maybe even slightly better.

Maybe the theoretically forthcoming PVR , VOD etc functions will carry weight for some users but personally, at the moment, if I could think of a way of retaining my current dig. sat. box, i wouldn't hesitate.

Rgds / Stan

I seriously doubt the remark of: "As a result true are intending to transmit both SD / HD in mpeg4 so old dig. sat. boxes will refuse all signals."

Why? Can you image the number of SD boxes in use today...probably 99% of the combined number of SD and HD boxes...with probably 95% plus of those SD boxes in use by Thai's living in small one room apartments watching their 21" TV...and have much bigger things to worry about such as paying bills versus whether they have HD TV capability or not. Why Thai's would storm True Headquarters if there were ever told they "have" to upgrade to HD or not be able to view True TV service...and I expect there would be a lot of farangs in the crowd also. SD will be around for a long, long time and TrueVisions will use all kinds of sales tactics (and maybe a little bit of misinformation through the lack of information) that a person just has to have TrueVisions HD service or all kinds of bad luck will beset them, the world will end, having HD will make you rich, having HD will get rid of pimples, etc...etc....etc.

Now, when the Thai soap operas on Channels 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 start being broadcast in HD, then Thai's will stampede to switch to HD; until then, HD is just nice to have for some.

Edited by Pib

I had a True HD box installed the other day and asked the tech guy after reading this thread. He said that Dreamboxes will not work after October 2012 as True is changing the encryption then. I then asked if True SD boxes would work then, and he said NO WAY.

Well...

I had a True HD box installed the other day and asked the tech guy after reading this thread. He said that Dreamboxes will not work after October 2012 as True is changing the encryption then. I then asked if True SD boxes would work then, and he said NO WAY.

Well...

Well George that may all be good and dandy but if they start charging people an additional 500 baht a month for the new box, we might actually see some competition in this industry....

Well...

Still too hard to believe about True SD boxes not working after Oct 12.. A person would think True would be adverising this left and right (to include messages popping up on every channel occassinally and in every monthly billing) versus having tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands or more, True customers not being able to view TrueVisions come Oct 12.

Well...

Still too hard to believe about True SD boxes not working after Oct 12.. A person would think True would be adverising this left and right (to include messages popping up on every channel occassinally and in every monthly billing) versus having tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands or more, True customers not being able to view TrueVisions come Oct 12.

Could that possibly be the reason they are changing all the SD boxes to HD boxes do you think?

Well...

Could that possibly be the reason they are changing all the SD boxes to HD boxes do you think?

I think because some folks get phone calls from TrueVisions asking them if want to upgrade to HD and maybe even using a sales tactic or there is a Thai to English communicaiton misunderstanding which makes folks thing they must upgrade is not proof that come Oct 12 TrueVisions SD boxes will no longer work. That's a huge change if true and I'm sure TrueVisions would be advertising this "must change/must swap out boxes" heavily via TV, mailings, etc, otherwise your service will not work come Oct 12...and oh yea, since you now have HD service you monthly bill will be higher after the 3-4 month promotion period. And I'm not talking about their TV, shopping mall, and mailing advertisements about upgrading to HD just because HD is now here, is great stuff, get it now, etc.

Just wish someone would post a link/attachment from TrueVisions where it specifically states SD boxes will not work after Oct 12; you must upgrade to HD boxes. Because everything I read so far in this thread seems to be third hand information....that is, he said, she said, I heard, etc. Heck, I just switched from satellite to cable TrueVisions (and cable internet) in Jun 11 and they gave me SD boxes....they did ask if I wanted HD service but I said no.

Edited by Pib

Well...

I think because some folks get phone calls from TrueVisions asking them if want to upgrade to HD and maybe even using a sales tactic or there is a Thai to English communicaiton misunderstanding which makes folks thing they must upgrade is not proof that come Oct 12 TrueVisions SD boxes will no longer work. That's a huge change if true and I'm sure TrueVisions would be advertising this "must change/must swap out boxes" heavily via TV, mailings, etc, otherwise your service will not work come Oct 12...and oh yea, since you now have HD service you monthly bill will be higher after the 3-4 month promotion period. And I'm not talking about their TV, shopping mall, and mailing advertisements about upgrading to HD just because HD is now here, is great stuff, get it now, etc.

Just wish someone would post a link/attachment from TrueVisions where it specifically states SD boxes will not work after Oct 12; you must upgrade to HD boxes. Because everything I read so far in this thread seems to be third hand information....that is, he said, she said, I heard, etc. Heck, I just switched from satellite to cable TrueVisions (and cable internet) in Jun 11 and they gave me SD boxes....they did ask if I wanted HD service but I said no.

Pib they wont do this, gives any potential competitors time to plan or subscribers time to dump them. Anyways, the way they move, if they say Oct 12, 2012 it will be this time next year....

Oh, I won't get worried (or PO'ed at TrueVisions) until someone posts the definitive proof which would be a TrueVisions link/document where it clearly states SD boxes will not work after Oct 12; you must upgrade to HD boxes.

And as previously mentioned, I'm not talking HD adertisements unless somewhere in the advertisement it states only HD boxes will work after Oct 12, SD boxes will not work after Oct 12 so a person must upgrade to HD boxes by Oct 12 to maintain TrueVisions service, etc.

Anyone learned how to program "favorites" into various categories (sports, music, etc.), with the new remote for the Samsung HD box? We could do this with the old True box. I'm not exactly a techy-idiot, and this has got me stumped.

I don't have any horse in this race anymore... But for those who do, why don't you call TrueVisions CSR English speaking folks and see what they say on the subject. Not that they're always accurate...but at least that would be a start.

John you'll be happy to know we now have a 24 hour rugby channel but no NFL. ;)

Knowing you have 24-hour rugby TV warms me to the depths of my heart, James....

But for me, Netflix, Hulu and NFL Game Rewind are more than enough to satisfy my TV viewing habits... along with a variety of audio and video podcasts of subjects of interest to me...

True is getting some of my dosh still for internet connections, but they're no longer getting any for anything else.

Probably a move to tie the card to the box and squeeze out those who use the Dreambox?

I am one of these devils who uses a Dreambox and I will keep the current system as long as I can.

The new True receiver is a totally outdated Samsung with plenty of problems (google it) and (for the time being) no recording capabilities. Experience with True's previous PVR teaches us that movies recorded on their box can only be played back with the decoder card inside (unlike the Dreambox).

Moreover, the so-called HD channels are really of very inferior quality, hardly any better than the normal corresponding channels (picture ad sound), so not worth the money.

I was told the present signal will be turned off in June. Further information was not available, although I was promised a technician will contact me. Nobody did.(Why am I not surprised?). I guess the new "signal" is a different encoding. Presently True uses Irdeto. Maybe they switch to Viaccess.

I'm a bit new to HD as we've always used an anologue decoder with True. We upgraded to a digital decoder a few ago and yesterday True cut the anologue signal.

A friend of mine who is a tv technician recommended me to buy an "Openbox S10 HD PVR decoder and set it up with a satellite dish.

My question is: Is this the same as a dreambox? and is it legal? also what channels would be available? The guy says over 200 channels.

I have looked at a number of foreign websites and it seems that this is a normal satellite decoder.

Pib they wont do this, gives any potential competitors time to plan or subscribers time to dump them. Anyways, the way they move, if they say Oct 12, 2012 it will be this time next year....

You are forgetting that technically True has a monopoly.................. bah.gif

How ever if you live in Bangkok or south of there Astro from Malaysia is a possibility.

As long as you are using the Dreambox with a True card it is perfectly legal

Other techniques that are possible with the Dreambox and the Internet are not,

and that is probably what True are aiming to eliminate.

Don't ask, that is not a permitted topic in Thaivisa.

I am pretty sure the new boxes will be paired with the card.

A partial quote from a Nation 16 Sep 11 states:

After facing stagnant growth in its premium subscriber base for a couple of years, TrueVisions, the leading subscription-based cable-television operator, has invested more than Bt2 billion to introduce high-definition smart set-top boxes to replace current customers' old versions over the next two years.

This implies to me we are looking at a late 2013 date if TrueVisions truly wants to replace all current SD set-top boxes due to whatever reason(s) such as a future encryption change, a fancy dream of thinking all current customers would sign-up for HD/other services, etc. Read the whole article at this Link.

By the way, two neighbors on my street over the past few months have canceled their TrueVisions DSTV (satellite) TV service and installed C-band systems. One of those two neighbors had his C-band system installed just today and canceled his TrueVisions service this afternoon. He said all the family really watches is Thai channels 2,5,7,9, NBT, TNN, and a few other Thai channels and is tired of paying the TrueVisions monthly subscription for channels he can get free on C-band. He also knew the won't experience any more rain-fade like he regularly experienced with the TrueVisions KU band system.

I can understand True's general need to get into the HD business, as some segment of their customer base is likely demanding it... though I'm not sure exactly what that segment would be...or how large it might be. But it will likely be the future as things slowly evolve.

But re The Nation article, I'm really not sure how any significant move by TrueVisions into HD, or phasing out old SD converter boxes in favor of HD boxes, is going to markedly improve their "stagnant" growth in premium subscribers...

HD c**p programming is still c**p programming. And how many more Thais who now are using True for SD programming are going to want to shell out extra baht every month for the kinds of offerings True had on its cable HD lineup???

It strikes me as more of one of those slow evolving technology shifts...like going from analog to digital cable originally... or computer manufacturers eventually shifting from USB 1 to 2 and now to 3. Technology advances, but the pricing models really don't change that much.

I am not sure the investment is going to make big returns. :whistling:

HD c**p programming is still c**p programming. And how many more Thais who now are using True for SD programming are going to want to shell out extra baht every month for the kinds of offerings True had on its cable HD lineup???

Content is driven by market forces. :bah:

Pib sums it up well when he mentions locals going to the Thai channels only.......

Not exactly a sophisticated market place.

My wife last night was watching a lakorn in which two hotties were fighting with each other and beating each other up in a ladies bathroom by taking turns holding the other one's hair under the bathroom sink faucet and getting their hair-do wet... Now I'd say THAT's pretty sophisticated! licklips.gif

My wife last night was watching a lakorn in which two hotties were fighting with each other and beating each other up in a ladies bathroom by taking turns holding the other one's hair under the bathroom sink faucet and getting their hair-do wet... Now I'd say THAT's pretty sophisticated! licklips.gif

And that particular show will probably win the coveted "Thai Soap Opera Two Ladies Fighting in the Bathroom Award for 2012." And this is not an easy award to wn since the competition is fierce with so many Thai soap opera shows running episodes like this. Best of luck to all.

Edited by Pib

I live in an apartment (Mansion) in Bangkok and got True Gold when I got a new TV set a few months ago. I previously had some analog boxes that I should not talk about. The ones that I still had quit working a few nights ago because the building switched over to the digital hub. So I called a number that I was given to have a shop install Astro Cable on my wifes and my daughters TVs. It cost 2300 baht for the installation (they had to run new cables from somewhere else in the building) plus 6000 baht for the first year for two feeds. No box is needed. I got this installed yesterday. It has 64 channels and a quick glance through them showed a lot of channels that I will never use: Middle Eastern, Indian, European, etc. With no box there is no program menu and it is like the ancient TV antennas that we had years ago. There is no TV guide booklet and no website that displays what is on the local feed. Astro should work for the Thais in the family but it would not be suitable for me. I understand that if you get the Asto dish you get twice as many channels.

I still have True Gold on my own TV set and after the newness of True Gold wore off I watch it less and less. The programs are costantly being replayed and the programming is limited, even with the Discovery and HD upgrade packages. I built a small computer to attach to the new TV set and use it for playing downloaded movies and programs. There are alternates to True but not very good ones.

zen

I don't have any horse in this race anymore... But for those who do, why don't you call TrueVisions CSR English speaking folks and see what they say on the subject. Not that they're always accurate...but at least that would be a start.

John you'll be happy to know we now have a 24 hour rugby channel but no NFL. wink.png

On TrueVisions? What channel?