New True Visions Hd Box

thaimate

The new HD DSTB comes with a new smart card. The new smart card will not work in the old SD box. My Thai neighbor still has rhe old DSTB and "knowledge". When we want ro watch football I would take my card and install it in his box. Doesn't work now. Guess he will be coming to my house to watch football and drink all of my whiskey. And ,oh boy, can he drink!

can't he upgrade his box.. or a cunning array of mirrors similar to your setup for watching pr0n from the shower... what no one does that, just me!!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new HD DSTB comes with a new smart card. The new smart card will not work in the old SD box. My Thai neighbor still has rhe old DSTB and "knowledge". When we want ro watch football I would take my card and install it in his box. Doesn't work now. Guess he will be coming to my house to watch football and drink all of my whiskey. And ,oh boy, can he drink!

can't he upgrade his box.. or a cunning array of mirrors similar to your setup for watching pr0n from the shower... what no one does that, just me!!

Even upgrading to the new box may not help now as supposedly Smartcards and boxes are now being married upon issue. That is the Smartcard will only work in the box it was issued with. Try putting the card in a different model box or an identical model box and it wouldn't work...will only work with the box it was issued with. I can see how this would be easy to do by simply linking together the serial numbers of the box and card...probably other methods available also. Not sure if this is true or not, but I've seen a lot of crossfeed where supposedly this is happening.

Can anyone tell me the cost of having one additional "normal", (non HD) box?

Take a look at Post #22. Based on Post #22 which also matches with my monthly bill since I have two boxes, an additional outlet/box would be B282.48 for one additional outlet plus B155.15 for box rental...both a per month charge...totalling B437.63/month plus 7% VAT. This applies to either SD or HD boxes. HD boxes can also display SD channels, but not vice versa. But if also signing up for the HD service there would be another B490/month.

Thank you. Not cheap!

That's the price they quoted me via e-mail. In addition there is a one time installation charge of 1000 baht/box and a refundable deposit of 2000 baht/box. IT is not refundable if you cancel within six months of installation. In addition they supply 20 meters of cable free. Additional cable is 35 baht/meter. The smart card issued with the new box will not work in the old box. I tried and they confirmed.

Smartcards and boxes are now being married upon issue.

That is the Smartcard will only work in the box it was issued with.

Try putting the card in a different model box or an identical model box and it wouldn't work...

will only work with the box it was issued with.

Yup that is how it works

and becoming common across the world. :bah:

• Like 1

New HD box also has a "bug". If playing music the "banner" will not turn off and, unlike, the old box it only has one composite output, the old had two. One composite output was replaced by the "HD" output. After a few e-mails, True confirmed the "bug" aand are working on a solution - sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to find out how much a start-up package (incl the dish) for both the DSTV -and cable packages will cost me. The TRUE websites seems to be all (mostly) in Thai. Also: How much monthly for the premium or most expensive package, etc. I hear talk about "Astro". Are there other options apart from TRUE? They sound like a horror story! Thanks.

You can get your browser to translate the page........

Or just click 'English' and it will give you the page in English.

The English button is in the lower right hand side of the page. Clicking it will usually get a person a page with some to all English on it...varies from page to page. Using Google Translate may not help since the pages are graphics based versus text based...no text for Google translate to grab a hold of and automatically translate. But apparently Google Translate will also look in the underlying web page coding to see if an English language link exists and force the page to switch to that English language page.

But with above being said, the English language button should be placed in the upper right hand of each page to make sure it can be easily found; but True don't seen to want to make anything easy.

Edited by Pib

We also got the new box - they just said they were coming round to put it in, and they did.

As my TV is not HD, all a bit moot at this point.

However, am I the only one who finds the menu text from the new box to be bloody irritatingly small?

Whereas I could read the upcoming programs in the correct menu from where I watch TV with the old box - now I simply cannot.

Or maybe some bright spark can tell me how to increase the apparent font size (thats probably not the right way to say it, but hopefully you know what I mean).

We also got the new box - they just said they were coming round to put it in, and they did.

However, am I the only one who finds the menu text from the new box to be bloody irritatingly small?

Whereas I could read the upcoming programs in the correct menu from where I watch TV with the old box - now I simply cannot.

Or maybe some bright spark can tell me how to increase the apparent font size (thats probably not the right way to say it, but hopefully you know what I mean).

it is my turn today ! supposed to come at 09.00h, the guy shown up at 11.30h :-(

the very FIRST experience, I need to pick up my glasses ! I can't read much on screen info.

then, I think I need to replace a pair of HD eyes as well :-) no point for a HD TV if I have only a pair of aging SD eyes !

3 HD channels only. Will cancel HD package if they don't add more channels.

What are the three channels

and are they really HD or just an SD feed?

According to the TrueVisions web site it's channel 120 Reality Channel HD, channel 121 HBO HD, and channel 122 True Sport HD. But if on cable you can get 11 HD channels. See this True Visions Link for the HD channel lineup--nothing to shout about.

wow . . . just put numbers together, am I stupid ?

assumed 1 million TrueVision subscribers, each spends THB490 more per month, then the game of CHANGING HD Box has extra income THB490mln per month, or THB5,880mln per year !

what would be the estimate cost of switching and running 3 channels / 11 channels HD contents ?

Thai-rob-Thai :-(

assumed 1 million TrueVision subscribers, each spends THB490 more per month, then the game of CHANGING HD Box has extra income THB490mln per month, or THB5,880mln per year !

what would be the estimate cost of switching and running 3 channels / 11 channels HD contents ?

That's only if those 1 million subscribers want to sign up for HD, I won't be one.

That's only if those 1 million subscribers want to sign up for HD, I won't be one.

me neither, then 1 million minus 2 :-)

apparently, there are more than 1 million subscribers !

I'm trying to sort out this topic...

Yes, True has their HD programming content, 11 or so channels of BS, for their cable subscribers....

And now they're switching to new HD cable boxes with PVR capability, and offering subscribers a free install and switch to the new boxes... and a several month free promo period of access to HD programming...

But, the HD programming is a separately priced add on to their regular programming packages like Silver, Gold and Platinum.

I'm assuming, just because you get a new HD capable cable box, that doesn't automatically require you to opt for paying extra to subscribe to their HD content package.

I guess the question would be, they have a certain monthly rental fee for their cable boxes and remotes now.... Are those monthly fees going to change with the new boxes and if so by how much.... apart from the optional HD programming content add-on.

BTW Pib, as I read it, those charges you referenced above in the image file seem to be True's programming monthly charges for their HD content...as add ons to any of their higher regular programming packages. That doesn't seem to address what the monthly rental cost would be for the new HD boxes and remotes.

We have three outlets, two HD boxes and one PVR. On the two new HD boxes, there has not been any increased prices. When the HD promotional period is over if we were to choose the HD there would be . We have satellite not cable so we will not get all the HD channels even if we wanted to pay for them as True has not yet sorted out the problem for HD on satellite receivers. On the PVR, I have just been advised that the Samsung boxes PVR capabilities is not yet operative so those with the old PVR's (like me) should not change to the new HD boxes as far as TrueVision's customer service department is aware of.

For sure, the customer service department will be the next to last to know and we will be the last to know. If our signals go off and we call customer service, by then they will have been advised and will be able to help us, but not before. The customer service rep I talked to mentioned that TrueVisions marketing department would be the department advising them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to help a Thai neighbor with a TrueVisions digital cable TV installation, I did get it working and it is indeed impressive.

My questions are about the LAN connection:

1.) I assume you lose TV service if the LAN connection goes down?

2.) What exactly is the LAN connection used for?

3.) How much LAN bandwidth does a single dreambox use? Is it just a few kilobits per second? Bursty?

Thanks.

I am trying to help a Thai neighbor with a TrueVisions digital cable TV installation, I did get it working and it is indeed impressive.

3.) How much LAN bandwidth does a single dreambox use? Is it just a few kilobits per second? Bursty?

Thanks.

The LAN cable is to receive the signal, it doesn't use much bandwidth but if the internet service goes down you lose the TV picture,

Thanks.

The LAN cable is to receive the signal, it doesn't use much bandwidth but if the internet service goes down you lose the TV picture,

What kinds of signals?

I assumed the bulk of the video and audio is delivered over the coaxial cable?

Thanks.

The TrueVisions cable TV and cable internet work independently....they are running on different cable frequencies and using different modulation schemes. If your cable internet goes down, this does not mean your cable TV signal goes down. Happened to me just a few weeks ago. Lost the cable internet connection from 2pm-6pm...so did my neighbor...but our True cable TV was still fine....called True at 2:30pm...they said they are working it....at 6pm the cable internet came back online..during this time the cable TV signal was fine....the programming sucked as usual but the TV signal was fine.

Thanks.

The TrueVisions cable TV and cable internet work independently....they are running on different cable frequencies and using different modulation schemes. If your cable internet goes down, this does not mean your cable TV signal goes down. Happened to me just a few weeks ago. Lost the cable internet connection from 2pm-6pm...so did my neighbor...but our True cable TV was still fine....called True at 2:30pm...they said they are working it....at 6pm the cable internet came back online..during this time the cable TV signal was fine....the programming sucked as usual but the TV signal was fine.

I haven't done a good job of explaining my situation. There is a DVB-C (ALLSAT 810 CHD; HD Digtial Cable Receiver) which is connected to a True coaxial cable, and this box also has an ethernet connection. The ethernet is connected via a WiFi device to a nearby WiFi AP/router, connected via True DSL. This is not a DOCSIS installation.

I guess the internet connection is used for some sort of signalling or control or ?

So I'm trying to figure out what happens on this internet link, and how much bandwidth is used as this installation may scale.

BTW, the service is freakin' incredible: Man U v. Liverpool in HD.

The LAN/ethernet connection is used for streaming video from your router'/internet or PC. Basically the receiver can obtain TV signal data from cable or the internet. Sounds like your neighbor may have/have had at one time a subscription/setup to a streaming video website(s). It's not really any different than you taking your computer, surfing to a certain web site, and then watching streaming video. So, if the internet connection is lost a person just wouldn't have access to whatever internet website(s) the receiver was setup to connect to. Or, as mentioned, the setup could just allow the person to stream video from his PC to the receiver via the router.

As to how much bandwidth is used/reserved by the box that basically depends on what speed/bandwidth the website is feeding and/or any Quality of Service (QoS) setting in the receiver or router which can dedicate a certain minimum and/or maximum bandwidth to the receiver. Just for example, say there is a QoS setting in the router or receiver (which are usually optional setups) to reserve 2Mb of bandwidth and you have a 10Mb DSL connection; this means 2Mb will be reserved for your receiver when in use and remaining 8Mb to your other computer equipment. Now, this does mean you will get 2Mb streaming video download speed; it only means a pipe 2Mb in size is reserved to carry whatever data flow speed you will get from that streaming video web site...if the streaming video web site can only provide a 500Kb streaming then 1.5Mb of that reserved pipe goes unused. VOIP adapter boxes work in a similar way where they usually have an optional QoS setting where you can reserve so much bandwidth, say 128Kb, to carry your voice/telephone signal...then the rest of your internet bandwidth is available for other use such as feeding your computer(s).

Edited by Pib

Thanks.

I assumed when he mentioned 'Dreambox' that he is using an alternative means of obtaining Truevisions.

If you use True cable can you use any decoder box to recieve the signal?

The LAN/ethernet connection is used for streaming video from your router'/internet or PC.

No offense intended, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but I am pretty sure you are not familiar with this specific application, nor am I for that matter, hence my questions.

The internet connection is required for the system to function. That is to say, as soon as I disconnect the internet connection the audio drops, the video remains but if I try to change the channel the screen goes black, with a Thai message.

The internet connection is required for this application, not to stream video, but for some sort of status/control/signaling. That's the part that prompted my initial questions:

1.) I assume you lose TV service if the LAN connection goes down? Yes, answering my own question.

Yea, I'll drop out of this discussion...just providing some feedback on receivers that have cable TV input connectors and ethernet connectors. So many different models out there...so many different receiver manuals...and I couldn't find and detailed info on the particular model you mentioned by doing some googling...so many different cable/internet services. Cheers.

Edited by Pib

pib, Iomatopo,

I'm always interested in new receivers.

And, Googling about the ALLSAT 810 CHD (in Thai) reveals that the receiver may have a feature banned on the forum. Although, I understand it is a cable installation and not satellite.

But, please, anyone correct me on this.

Cheers