Great Deal

canuckamuck

I was looking at a couch and chair and we saw a set in a color that we liked so we inquired about the price. The lady told us that the couch and two matching chairs was 12,900 baht.

Because the couch was comfortable and exactly what we were looking for we asked how much for just the couch and she said 8,900.

We then asked how much for the couch plus one of the chairs (we don't really need two because we already have other furniture in that room). The lady told us we could have the one chair for 1,100 if we bought the couch at 8,900. Now the total was 10,000 baht even.

So I am thinking, “we are getting a deal; if we buy another chair the whole set would be just 11,000 which is 1,800 cheaper than the original offer for the set”. But the lady tells us “no, the couch and two chairs is still 12,900.”

So we decide to buy the couch and the 1,100 baht chair and leave her with the identical 2,900 baht chair.

I think I made the right call wink.png

But really the whole lot only cost her 2000 baht to buy in from her supplier

I am not against anyone making a profit, I just found her marketing skills to be curious. We were strongly discouraged from buying the whole set because there appeared to be a penalty for buying all three items.

But really the whole lot only cost her 2000 baht to buy in from her supplier

I am not against anyone making a profit, I just found her marketing skills to be curious. We were strongly discouraged from buying the whole set because there appeared to be a penalty for buying all three items.

Get a friend to go back and ask to buy the last chair......in a few days. It makes no sense, look at tesco pricing buy a case of soemthing is more expensive than buy indivdually sometimes, or buy 2 small packs is cheaper than one big, theyr'e all NUTS!!

Bottom price for her to make a good profit on all three items was 10k, by maintaing the margin on the sofa, she was able to achieve her target margin by adding in the one chair at what appears to be a reduced price. She now has one chair remaing to sell and add to her margin, making an even better deal.

You took exactly what you wanted, very happy with your bargain, she is happy too. Isn't that the art of selling?

Bottom price for her to make a good profit on all three items was 10k, by maintaing the margin on the sofa, she was able to achieve her target margin by adding in the one chair at what appears to be a reduced price. She now has one chair remaing to sell and add to her margin, making an even better deal.

You took exactly what you wanted, very happy with your bargain, she is happy too. Isn't that the art of selling?

Only if you wish to reduce your margins and force down profitability. It will be difficult to sell that one chair as it is part of a matched set.

The OP liked the style, fit and comfort. It may be difficult to find a consumer that shares that same opinion and so the chair may sit for months gathering dust until it is marked down. The end result is that the retailer carries the cost of financing that inventory and has forgone an opportunity to improve cash flow. The key for any home furnishings retailer is to have turnover and to get risd of stock.

Only if you wish to reduce your margins and force down profitability. It will be difficult to sell that one chair as it is part of a matched set.

The OP liked the style, fit and comfort. It may be difficult to find a consumer that shares that same opinion and so the chair may sit for months gathering dust until it is marked down. The end result is that the retailer carries the cost of financing that inventory and has forgone an opportunity to improve cash flow. The key for any home furnishings retailer is to have turnover and to get risd of stock.

When you price anything, you set your margins, base price, the price you place on the product is inflated if you expect to provide a discount, therefore your cash flow is just fine if you make your base price, and therefore margin. You and I do not know if there is a market for the chair, maybe a single chair can sell for 2000 baht, which leaves a profit of 1000 over and above the price offered by the op for the set........don't go into sales GK....merry christmas