Train Collides Into Pickup Truck; Kills 1, Injures Over 120

webfact

Train Collides into Pickup Truck; Kills 1, Injures Over 120

An express train bound for Bangkok from Surat Thani Province hit a pickup truck in Pranburi. One person has been confirmed dead while more than 120 others have been injured.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-28

footer_n.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train collides with pickup truck in S. Thailand, killing one, injuring 124

English.news.cn

BANGKOK, Dec. 28 (Xinhua) -- A southbound Surat Thai-Bangkok splinter train on Wednesday crashed with a pickup truck in southern Prachuab Kirikhan province, killing one and hurting about 124.

Source: http://news.xinhuane...c_131331830.htm

-- news.xinhuanet.com 2011-12-28

footer_n.gif

I just passed this level crossing by car. Living in this area.

There are automatic gates, which unfortunately dont work well. Sometimes after a train drives past the gates wont open. In this case cars just driving a little bit zigzag around the gates. I can imagine that also sometimes the gates wont close if a train approaches.

Edited by Superskunk

As best as I recall, there was just another news item in the past week or so about a train hitting cars stuck on the tracks in traffic on Asoke Rd. in BKK...

It's getting to the point where it sometimes seems the only safe place to stay is at home... Tour buses, Nope. Jet skis, Nope. Tuk tuks, Nope. 1-2-Crash Airlines, Nope. Speeding vans, Nope. Bomb scares for CentralWorld New Year's Eve event, Nope. Southern Thailand, Nope.

BTW, as New Year's Eve approaches, so does another anniversary of the Santika nightclub fire and fatalities.

Happy New Year's to All. ph34r.png

A similar accident happened here in the lower north east. Being very familiar with sitting on a train made me understand how often technical problems occur. I'm very sorry for the injured people, as the hospitals here are more than questionable. I hope they'll all have a speedy and full recovery.

Reading and hearing about the "high speed' project in Thailand makes me thinking what would happen if there would be trains doing 340 km/h? Wish all of you a Happy New Year 2012 without accidents....... jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

same same , they never learn from their mistakes, ..cars and trains are for the big boys , ban them from thailand until they learn how to use buffalos and bikes first , ....safety will improve 10,000% and thailand can claim to be the HUB of green living !

same same , they never learn from their mistakes, ..cars and trains are for the big boys , ban them from thailand until they learn how to use buffalos and bikes first , ....safety will improve 10,000% and thailand can claim to be the HUB of green living !

I feel sorry for you.jap.gif

We definitely need hi-speed train megaprojects here at this country.

Yes indeed, but not for the reason you're thinking of. Hi speed trains have no level-road-crossings and even the railroad track is completely sealed off from any other intruder... You had something else in mind!

I feel sorry for you.jap.gif

me too. It looks like a complete dumb is on the forum... Indeed this is democracy as well! However, he urgently needs some mental help!

I've been here 12 years. Rules: 1 never travel by public transport 2 always travel with 'lookout' in my car 3 keep one hand on the horn 4 slow right down at railway crossings 5 if a bus in the rear mirror MOVE OVER. 6 Pray.

LOL giggle.gif

but it makes you wonder how they have been able to retain such an unblemished record regarding air transportation?

I was just there as well. Came out of Tesco, heard sirens (Sirens? In Thailand?). By the time I got to the intersection before the crossing, they were already diverting traffic to the right past the big market. Pickup was a green Nissan, many parts of it were strewn along the tracks, the rest of it (a mangled heap) got towed away. Track bed and sleepers are damaged right at the crossing. At least two cars derailed and jackknifed, it took at least 300 meters to stop. I'm surprised only 120 are injured and only 1 is dead.

Edited by roxnadz

This is when I wish I lived in the US or Europe, because trains never derail or hit other vehicles there. The drivers in the "Westernized" countries are all safe and well trained in operating motor vehicles. Everyone knows not to drive when they are sleepy or when they have been drinking. NOT

The lady who drove the car died while there were a large number of injured passengers from the train, mainly those sitting in the first car. There are also foreigners among the injured. The lady car driver skipped red light.

My wife, who is a nurse, came to the site about five minutes after the accident occurred.

I just drove through here too. What a mess.

Feel sorry for the 120 injured. My wife heard from locals in the nearby market that female driver was drunk on her way home from a party. Who knows it that is true or not.

I drive through this crossing 3-4 times doing the school run. This is a automatic gate.

I have seen many times motorbikes going around the guard rails when the lights are flashing and its a wonder this hasn't happened more often.

I drive and worry about myself here and never take it for granted for one minute as I watch cars tailgate cars and motorbikes. Motorbikes cutting off cars thinking they can win against a ton of metal or a car thinking they can stop in time when they are tailgating a motorbike.

I ride with the thought " if they don't die today they will die tomorrow " and each year the toll rises! Each year 12,000 death with about 60% of them on motorbikes and those in the age of 15-25yrs? then there is hundred of thousands that end up in the emergency room. If one is into pain go to a local hospital like Banglamung and look at all the pain for motorbike accident each day. They are killing themselves slowly and if the government ever made videos as to how their people drive around and act when they get behind the vehicle and how foreigners view them they think they loose face now?

It it will never change and the above doesn't even count the stupid accidents with trains.