Truemove - H - Prepay Available

greatjob

Hi,

Truemove H prepay seems to be available and I was surprised to see that their website has finally been translated in English (or at least partially).

http://www.truemove-h.com/en/prepay/

Coverage: http://www.truemove-h.com/en/3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx

Couple of friends have the postpaid service and are quite happy with the speed.

I wonder if the prepay is as good though.

GJ

Edited by greatjob

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice but... 2 Baht / MB?

That's 2,000 Baht for 1GB.

Doesn't make sense to be honest. Well OK - doesn't make sense for my use pattern b/c I like to tether the laptop. If I only used it for phone data it would probably work out a bit more than postpaid.

Nice but... 2 Baht / MB?

Doesn't make sense to be honest. Well OK - doesn't make sense for my use pattern b/c I like to tether the laptop. If I only used it for phone data it would probably work out a bit more than postpaid.

As I understand it the base SIM is 99 baht, and that includes some basic level of services.If you wanted to pay 2,000 baht for 1 GB you could. However, you can layer on additional data, WiFi, voice, SMS, MMS on top.

1 GB of 3G would be 349 baht/month, which also includes 10 hours of WiFi.

The TrueMove H services seem competitively priced.

http://www.truemove-h.com/prepay/prepay-topping.aspx

One thing that's always bugged me with those True 3G coverage maps: So much of the coverage is over the water. e.g. Look at this large coverage area just south-southwest of Bangkok, which is entirely over water:

post-33251-0-39793700-1325213910_thumb.g

And, down the east coat, including Pattaya, there seems to be more coverage over water than over land.

Why is that?

Edited by wpcoe

One thing that's always bugged me with those True 3G coverage maps: So much of the coverage is over the water. e.g. Look at this large coverage area just south-southwest of Bangkok, which is entirely over water:

And, down the east coat, including Pattaya, there seems to be more coverage over water than over land.

Why is that?

Maybe for the islands and boats???

Hi,

Truemove H prepay seems to be available and I was surprised to see that their website has finally been translated in English (or at least partially).

http://www.truemove-h.com/en/prepay/

Coverage: http://www.truemove-...k_coverage.aspx

Couple of friends have the postpaid service and are quite happy with the speed.

I wonder if the prepay is as good though.

GJ

Being on pre-paid or post-paid wouldn't make any difference to the network speed or coverage.

Why is that?

Maybe because the transmission travels further when there are no built or geographical obstructions.

Edited by jamesbrock

As reported by a friend, directly from the mouth of a True employee in Hua Hin: "if you don't live right along Hua Hin's main street, forget about using 3G". No idea whether this is True (pun intended) or not, I don't stay there.

Nice but... 2 Baht / MB?

As I understand it the base SIM is 99 baht, and that includes some basic level of services.If you wanted to pay 2,000 baht for 1 GB you could. However, you can layer on additional data, WiFi, voice, SMS, MMS on top.

http://www.truemove-...ay-topping.aspx

Ah, I see thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Nice - they have 5 GB and 10 GB plans now. For a price but at least they're offered, so that's cool.

Edited by nikster

Nice but... 2 Baht / MB?

http://www.truemove-...ay-topping.aspx

Ah, I see thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Nice - they have 5 GB and 10 GB plans now. For a price but at least they're offered, so that's cool.

I guess it depends on how long the credit is valid - I can't get the English version of that page, or the Conditions, to load in English so can't work out how long the credits are valid for.

Also, can't for the life of me find the SMS & MMS rates for Thailand to Australia. Can anyone who reads Thai please help me?

I guess it depends on how long the credit is valid - I can't get the English version of that page, or the Conditions, to load in English so can't work out how long the credits are valid for.

Also, can't for the life of me find the SMS & MMS rates for Thailand to Australia. Can anyone who reads Thai please help me?

Pre-paid plans are valid for 30 days.

International SMS and MMS rates vary by provider, and any specific promotions. I think for an SMS from Thailand to Australia with TrueMove would be 9.63 baht. I'm assuming TrueMove H would amtch this price? Given we are discussion TrueMove H I assume you cannot take advantage of TrueMove's InterSIM rates (5.35 baht per int'l SMS).

Why is that?

I guess that would make perfect sense in the context of Thai business models. Exclude the huge land-based population districts for a few dozen boats that might be in the area. rolleyes.gif

Pre-paid plans are valid for 30 days.

I guess it's too much to ask for the unused data to be rolled into the next month like some carriers back in Australia did...

International SMS and MMS rates vary by provider, and any specific promotions. I think for an SMS from Thailand to Australia with TrueMove would be 9.63 baht. I'm assuming TrueMove H would amtch this price? Given we are discussion TrueMove H I assume you cannot take advantage of TrueMove's InterSIM rates (5.35 baht per int'l SMS).

Thanks for that. I don't send enough SMS or MMS to justify getting the InterSIM; but, will head out and try to find the TrueMove H pre-paid SIM today. In the end, it doesn't really matter what they charge for the few messages I'll send per month...

So, despite me trying to tell the guy in the mobile shop that it was the wrong SIM, I got a pre-paid TrueMove iSIM today. From my research last night, I knew the iSIM was specifically for internet enabled devices (Aircards, tablets, MiFi, etc.) and would not allow calls or messages over the mobile telephone network; yet, despite this, and the sticker on the package saying 'PRE, H MICRO NET ONLY', the guy insisted it would work with my iPhone 4.

In a way, he was right - I am getting pretty fast speeds (pings as low as 150ms, and d/l speeds up to 6.13Mbps) that I'm rapt with considering I'm in Samui - so the SIM does work with my iPhone 4; however, as I knew, I can not use my phone as a phone with it in... Oh well, I was pretty sick of dtac's Edge speeds here, and 169 baht is SFA to have fast data until I can get the right SIM.

Moral of this story: do your own research, and don't listen to morons in stores who should know their stuff.

Edit: He was also adamant that I couldn't port my number from dtac to TrueMove because I wanted a pre-paid service... Again, wrong.

Edited by jamesbrock

Why is that?

The antenna's are directional. If you could put them on poles 100m from shore, and shoot in, there would be no coverage. In reality they would be aligned down a beach road, or worse, behind it, requiring them to shoot out. I.e. if can only rent a site on 2nd beach road in Pattaya, you need to shoot out to cover the first.

Cause there are no buildings on the water, it can go for quite a long way ( no hinderence ).....

@ Lannig, I think u have been BS to. I stayed Worabura in south HH, had 3G there, and at Sheraton HH which is north of the airport in September . Was jus in Ao Chalong ( Phuket ), Phi Phi, Ko Lanta.... Had True Move H signal on my iPad.

Edited by skippybangkok

@ Lannig, I think u have been BS to. I stayed Worabura in south HH, had 3G there, and at Sheraton HH which is north of the airport in September . Was jus in Ao Chalong ( Phuket ), Phi Phi, Ko Lanta.... Had True Move H signal on my iPad.

As mentioned, the word came from a True employee and I was just quoting this FWIW.

Anyway as far as I can remember the Sheraton HH *is* along the main road. And being the Sheraton, I somehow suspect that these guys might have an aerial on top top of the building just for them.

No idea about the other places.

As mentioned, the word came from a True employee and I was just quoting this FWIW.

Anyway as far as I can remember the Sheraton HH *is* along the main road. And being the Sheraton, I somehow suspect that these guys might have an aerial on top top of the building just for them.

No idea about the other places.

Cheers........ i doubt the Sheraton has a standalone antenna. 850Mhz is a lovely spectrum, goes very very very far compared to 2100 Mhz ( and 1800 Mhz for 2g).

In terms of coverage, there is tons more than on the maps for their Web site. I was all over phuket / krabi / ko lanta / phi phi area sailing ....... and everywhere except for Pho Phi Ley ( Maya beach ), there was True Move H 3G. (AIS had 1 bar on 2G on Ley ).

Down side, the whole family was fiddling on their devices at our anchor spots instead of enjoying the scenery / reading a book.

Yesterday I went to the TrueMove shop in Chaweng to try to get a pre-paid H micro-sim. The sales girl - who spoke decent english - first tried to give me a pre-paid iSIM; when I asked if that was for data only, she told me that you cannot make voice calls, or send SMS or MMS on pre-paid. Wait, what? Yes, if I wanted to use my iPhone as a phone, I'd have to go onto a post-paid plan.

Do these people get commissions for signing up customers onto post-paid plans?

She called a guy over, and pulled out this brochure, which clearly shows voice, SMS, & MMS availability, but she told me it was a misprint. He agreed, and confirmed that I had to go on a post-paid plan. Rather than attempting to teach them their job, and the ins & outs of the products they're supposed to be knowledgable in, I thanked them for their time and walked out.

Looks like I'll be ordering one on the TrueMove website...

Also using True-H now, and same experience in the True shop, total lack of knowledge on what they sell.

First told me True-H is only postpaid, while standing on top of a whole stack of prepaid simcards, both iSim's and iphone sims's.

Next they told me data is 2B/mb, as packages only available post paid. <deleted>, register and works straight away...

The I wanted the iphone sim, as iSim has no voice... First told me only can be sold with iphone (<deleted> again), after insisting they the proceeded to say I can't use in my HTC phone as it's a microsim, <deleted> again as it is both (normal sim size, but you can push out the microsim part for Apple use)...

Grrr

Works very well though :) probably because nobody uses it yet thinking it is not available!

I bought a TrueMove H pre-paid Smartphone SIM today for 99 baht. They are widely available, at least in many counter-shops in MBK. I looked at a few shops before I found a number I wanted.

I haven't activated the SIM, but will follow up with details when I do. I am leaning towards the default plan, and layering on the 1 GB/349 baht mobile broadband plan.

post-9615-0-20368300-1325661941_thumb.jp

For those on TrueMove H pre-paid or post-paid:

When you are outside of TrueMove H coverage areas do you roam onto TrueMove's legacy GSM network? (I'm assuming TrueMove H's network is a full GSM and 3G network.)

If so, are there any issues originating/receiving voice calls?

Do you roll-over to TrueMove's 2G data network?

Any issues originating/receiving SMSes?

For those on TrueMove H pre-paid or post-paid:

When you are outside of TrueMove H coverage areas do you roam onto TrueMove's legacy GSM network? (I'm assuming TrueMove H's network is a full GSM and 3G network.)

If so, are there any issues originating/receiving voice calls?

Do you roll-over to TrueMove's 2G data network?

Any issues originating/receiving SMSes?

It will roam back in the old normal true move network ( assuming your phone is 1800 MHz capable ). Few bugs here and there, was 10 nautical miles out of Ao Chalong and had true move normal on iPhone , but not H on iPad.

If roaming, will see only " True Move H" ( no 3G behind the ID )

For the other op's , I suspect it will take a few days for the shops to sing the same tune..... Maybe we should ask TV'ers who speak Thai to tell us what they bought and get some insight to the packages

Edited by skippybangkok

I bought a TrueMove H pre-paid Smartphone SIM today for 99 baht. They are widely available, at least in many counter-shops in MBK. I looked at a few shops before I found a number I wanted.

I haven't activated the SIM, but will follow up with details when I do. I am leaning towards the default plan, and layering on the 1 GB/349 baht mobile broadband plan.

I went back to the TrueMove shop again today - this time armed with the picture of the correct SIM - and was told that, not only do they not have this SIM, but that no shop on the island of Samui has it! Oh well, I'll be in Bangkok in 11 days; I can be patient... crying.gif

I went back to the TrueMove shop again today - this time armed with the picture of the correct SIM - and was told that, not only do they not have this SIM, but that no shop on the island of Samui has it! Oh well, I'll be in Bangkok in 11 days; I can be patient... crying.gif

I can buy one for you and mail it to you, if you cannot wait. If you want, PM me your mailing address. The SIM is only 99 baht, and postage can't be more than that?

I can buy one for you and mail it to you, if you cannot wait. If you want, PM me your mailing address. The SIM is only 99 baht, and postage can't be more than that?

Thanks for your very generous offer, but I'm sure the wait will do me good. I don't need it, I just want it...

Can't an account be changed from a post-paid plan to a pre-paid plan without a new SIM? I thought I did that many years ago with my DTAC account.

If so, can't you just buy a SIM for a post-paid TrueMove-H plan and then they change your account information in the computer to pre-paid? When I changed (MNP'd) from TrueMove to TrueMove-H, the Hua Hin shop handed me a SIM (post-paid).

They sure make this stuff more difficult than it need to be! wacko.png

That I'm not sure of. Even if technically so, I'm sure the staff here would not know that it is so.

I agree that, like many other things in Thailand, it's harder than it needs to be; so we just continue to shop around until we find someone competent in their own job...

Can't an account be changed from a post-paid plan to a pre-paid plan without a new SIM?

Yes, but only within the same service provider. TrueMove and TrueMove H are different entities. To move from TrueMove (pre-paid or post-paid) to TrueMove H (pre-paid or post-paid) you would have to utilize the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) process.

If so, can't you just buy a SIM for a post-paid TrueMove-H plan and then they change your account information in the computer to pre-paid? When I changed (MNP'd) from TrueMove to TrueMove-H, the Hua Hin shop handed me a SIM (post-paid).

If you want a TrueMove H pre-paid SIM maybe just best to buy one?