2012 - Am I Alone In Beginning To Wonder?

F1fanatic

I'm a realist that believes nothing unless 1) it is proven or 2) I have personal experience that makes me believe it is true.

Therefore... I treated all the 2012 'end of the world' theories as laughable - but lately I'm beginning to wonder....

There can be little doubt that every country is experiencing 'odd' weather over the last year or so.

I would be interested to hear others' thoughts - but not those who for whatever reason have always taken the 'imminent end of the world' seriously.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep to your original plan, common sense

catastrophies are easy for people to know about these days due to huge coverage worlwide, a 100 years ago you would not have heard of almost any of the "natural" events that you hear of now.

It was still all happening but only known about locally. Why even the next village often knew nothing of what was happening with its neighbours a few miles away.

The world will end but we wont end it.

So here is my prediction the world will not end in 2o12

Edited by travelmann

The Mayans never said they thought that the world would end in 2012, it's all a complete load of rubbish. Do some googling.

Do some reading and try to find the word Mayans in Travelman's post.smile.png

Name some well-known 2012 end of the world theories that are not linked to the Mayan calendar :P

Beginning to wonder !! So what started all this air of melancholy that has surrounded you. ??

The 'imminent end of the world' could happen at sometime but not l believe in my time but l have been wrong before on many issue.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

If you live your life fearing death then you have never truly lived. I have a friend who was convinced he was going to die at 42 because that was the age his Dad was at death. He is 52 now and we are still ripping the p^ss out of him for it.

Not sure about the 2012 thing but the world is pretty messed up now. If u take in to consideration that our planet has had a few huge catastrophes in the past its not unreasonable that it will happen in the future.

It could be meteors, super volcanoes or earth crust displacement. Will it be the end of the world? probably not! just the end of ours!

In the end, whats the point of worrying about it? There is nothing we can do about it!

The economic crash will be the end of the world as we know it.

The world is a powder keg.

Powder puff.

The world is a powder puff. Or an apple. I was told it was my oyster, once.

Most economic crashes are the end of the world as we know it, and I am sure this one will be no different.

We're all domed, domed I tell you!

As my dear old grandmother said, about twenty times each "I'll not see another one" - whether it be birthday, Christmas, New Year or Number 42 bus.

And, I should point out, it's a lovely, sunny day, I'm back in the office and the kids are enjoying the end of their Christmas holidays, with visas renewed for another year.

SC

Be careful what you write here or you'll end up with an arrest warrant "for telling falsehoods that cause public damage" as did Thongbai Khamsi of for spreading rumours that the Bhumibol Dam would collapse under an earthquake. cheesy.gif

Maybe they should send out arrest warrants for people who believe such rubbish. They were the ones who caused more trouble by spreading the rumour. By the time it reached me it was: "stay away from high buildings in Bangkok. The little kid predicted thousands would die in Bangkok after a huge earthquake".

I don't believe anyone can predict the future but yes we could be in for turbulent times regarding world economy.

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world but it is the end of their long calender.

Maybe not for 2012 but seeing how we treat our planet, especially here in Thailand: dumping all the rubbish 1m from where you walk/drive/live, burn what you don't throw away, (I like the smell of burning plastic), I have to close my windows at night because of the smoke caused by the many charcoal production fires...

Anyone thinking we are IMPROVING the world we live on?

Be careful what you write here or you'll end up with an arrest warrant "for telling falsehoods that cause public damage" as did Thongbai Khamsi of for spreading rumours that the Bhumibol Dam would collapse under an earthquake. cheesy.gif

Maybe they should send out arrest warrants for people who believe such rubbish. They were the ones who caused more trouble by spreading the rumour. By the time it reached me it was: "stay away from high buildings in Bangkok. The little kid predicted thousands would die in Bangkok after a huge earthquake".

I don't believe anyone can predict the future but yes we could be in for turbulent times regarding world economy.

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world but it is the end of their long calender.

Theyd have to arrest most of the world .....................religion

• Like 1

Powder puff.

Most economic crashes are the end of the world as we know it, and I am sure this one will be no different.

As my dear old grandmother said, about twenty times each "I'll not see another one" - whether it be birthday, Christmas, New Year or Number 42 bus.

And, I should point out, it's a lovely, sunny day, I'm back in the office and the kids are enjoying the end of their Christmas holidays, with visas renewed for another year.

SC

Do you mean "DOOMED" or is your head just a funny shape?

Powder puff.

SC

Pinned , we are all pinned I tell tou !

Powder puff.

SC

Pinned , we are all pinned I tell tou !

Dammed. I'm stagnating, but maybe I'll go down to Nana to get damed..

SC

Edit: It was always that shape, but you can get a better view of it now.

SC, your dear old grandmother was probably right about the number 42 busbiggrin.png , but of course travelmann is right, we just know a lot more about the natural disasters than ever before.

Come a tsunami, for example, and within minutes the whole world can watch it happening live on television! I dare say that when Krakatoa erupted, the scenes of devastation were horrendous, but very few in the West ever knew what was going on. If Thailand's tsusnami had happened a hundred years ago, would anybody have cared about a little fishing village in Phuket being washed away?

SC, your dear old grandmother was probably right about the number 42 busbiggrin.png , but of course travelmann is right, we just know a lot more about the natural disasters than ever before.

Come a tsunami, for example, and within minutes the whole world can watch it happening live on television! I dare say that when Krakatoa erupted, the scenes of devastation were horrendous, but very few in the West ever knew what was going on. If Thailand's tsusnami had happened a hundred years ago, would anybody have cared about a little fishing village in Phuket being washed away?

She stopped saying any of those things a year or two before they came true.

Which brings us to an interesting point - no doubt the end of the world will be unprophesied, and perhaps prophetable only in hindsight.

SC

I think weather events (cyclones, flooding, heat, etc) are much more common and severe than say a decade ago. The amount of meteroelogy records set in recent times attest to that.

Tsunamis, of course, are related to eathquakes and there is strong evidence they are increasing in frequency and severity all the time. See chart:

graph.jpg

Trends since 1986

For example, between 1986 and 1996 (incl), a period of 11 years, there were "just" 15 earthquakes listed by USGS of magnitude 7.0 or greater. This is not markedly different (albeit a slight decrease) from previous (similar periods) of 20th century, where an average of about 18 might be expected.

But between 1997 and 2007 (incl), a period of only 11 years, there were 99 earthquakes with magnitude 7.0 or greater : This is more than a six-fold increase on the previous similar period - and is a stark increase on any earlier decades in 20th century too.

See complete article here:

http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk/

Something is building up and it could be bad news for all of us!

Edited by Old Croc

I like the chart. You should pass it on to Naam for his future use. I particularly like the absence of titles and units.

I also like the arbitrary choice of dates for your eleven year periods. How do the statistics compare if you put the Chi Chi sequence of earthquakes into the 1987 - 97 band?

I don't find weather any more common than in previous years, though there are good explanations for why the weather may be more energetic than it was say fifty years ago; its scarcely the end of the world, though. I am sure we will all live through these troubled times, as we will learn to cope without Jonny Wilkinson or Chris Patterson, as appropriate.

SC