Bringing My Pc To Thailand?

Baal

Ill be arriving this January on Multiple-entry Non Immigrant visa, I want to bring a few things like my pc and my LCD monitor. Will there be trouble with customs?

Yes Ive searched the forum, find lots of post about bringing personal belongings by the container but only one about a computer. I want to bring my mountain bike but thats another hastle for another day.

My worry is tariffs and the fact that my luggage will be torn apart because it has electronics in it.

Ive no idea how to bring this crap with me, maybe I should just bring my hard drive, vid, sound card and monitor and purchase a new box, mobo and processor.

If I bring key components like I mentioned above would I get hassled?

Thanks,

B.

*am I nuts for wanting to bring my mountain bike? Ill probably put that up on the rack with my cars too. :o

*what about my skis? just kidding.

When I came here two years ago from California I shipped a half-container of personal effects, including a scanner, printer, about 200 DVD movies, and a mountain bike. I used a shipping agent in San Francisco, I declared everything, and there were no problems with customs, and no duty to pay.

My belongings arrived intact, no shrinkage, and on time.

My computer was a notebook, so I just carried that with me on the flight. No problems.

Perhaps I was just lucky.

When I came here two years ago from California I shipped a half-container of personal effects, including a scanner, printer, about 200 DVD movies, and a mountain bike.  I used a shipping agent in San Francisco, I declared everything, and there were no problems with customs, and no duty to pay.

My belongings arrived intact, no shrinkage, and on time.

My computer was a notebook, so I just carried that with me on the flight.  No problems.

Perhaps I was just lucky.

Thanks JW, I want to bring it on the flight with me because I will need it when I get there. I may just do a big Duffle w/wheels and one of these setups, or something like it for my electronics and software.

tote(1).jpg

I have to get special locks to do that I think? anyone know much about this? I havent travelled out of the states with anything but clothing for a few years now.

Edited by Baal

No problem, pack it well in it's own carton in a very large suitcase and tell the carrier what it is.

They usually have a special tray that it goes on before it leaves you at check in.

Mark it well as "fragile".

If you can take your HD out all the better, the bag will get knocked about.

I had bags made to measure in the UK by a sailmaker out of strong canvas & double zips, secured by cable ties, and they were ignored at Thai Customs...... if they can't see it (labels) they are not bothered.

I had a PC & a huge, old 19" monitor.

They both survived from Blighty.

Chok dee. :o

No problem, pack it well in it's own carton in a very large suitcase and tell the carrier what it is.

They usually have a special tray that it goes on before it leaves you at check in.

Mark it well as "fragile".

If you can take your HD out all the better, the bag will get knocked about.

I had bags made to measure in the UK by a sailmaker out of strong canvas & double zips, secured by cable ties, and they were ignored at Thai Customs...... if they can't see it (labels) they are not bothered.

I had a PC & a huge, old 19" monitor.

They both survived from Blighty.

Chok dee. :D

LOL, I had a job a couple years back where I had to haul a 19" monitor to a new city every week. OMG that was a drag, especially when I watched them drag it out of the cargo hold on commuter flight. They just pulled it from about 7 feet high and let the container fall to the runway. :o:D I had custom built the foam insulation myself so it survived, but it was always a moment of truth when I got to where I was going and plugged it in.

Thanks to all for the tips, especially the removing the Hard Drives one, I was thinking the same thing. That is a really smart move for anyone moving a pc from place to place.. Hardware can always be replaced.

A non immigrant visa does not provide duty free entry.  Believe x-ray has become a factor on inbound baggage from some reports.  I would travel with hard drive only, or trade for a laptop.

Hmmmm, well what would the cost be, how much would they charge me, how do the asess the value? Its an E-Machine box, but the insides have a 350 dollar video card, two hard drives, Creative sound card, and a gig of ram. I think it "the emachine version is probably 500US these days.

I also want to bring my Samsung LCD.

If its not going to cost too much Ill bring them because it would cost me over 1,000US to build the same machine in Bangkok.

Are they going to stick me for a cell phone or camera too?

thanks. :o

They are not out to stick anyone but if you carry a home computer into a foreign country you should expect a few questions. If they charge you it could be much higher that you might expect (even if not a penalty fine for non declare) as it will be new price plus shipment by air on your flight most probably.

You did not say what the reason for your non immigrant visa or the type was so if you have a business type reason for the computer perhaps you are home free.

The fact is we can not say if or not you would have problems. But I suspect the chance of it being questioned is higher now than in the past.

They are not out to stick anyone but if you carry a home computer into a foreign country you should expect a few questions.  If they charge you it could be much higher that you might expect (even if not a penalty fine for non declare) as it will be new price plus shipment by air on your flight most probably.

You did not say what the reason for your non immigrant visa or the type was so if you have a business type reason for the computer perhaps you are home free.

The fact is we can not say if or not you would have problems.  But I suspect the chance of it being questioned is higher now than in the past.

Maybe Ill just bring the monitor and parts, HD, Vid Card, Mouse etc and I can probably take out the cpu as well.

Are they going to rummage through all that? I could take that in my carry on bag, which is what I would probably do.

I have no idea what they charge for that kind of stuff.

You said it - if they see all that electronics in your bag they are very likely to want a closer look.  From some reports that would include at the end of journey as well as departure and every point in between.

thanks for all your help, I dont mind them looking at it, I just dont want to get charged an arm and a leg for it. Are we talking under 100us?

But isn't import duty on IT products only 5% anyway? And I'm not so sure if they charge VAT on it but if they will that would be 7% on sum of cost of goods + 5% import duty.

I would much rather worry about your computer and the monitor damaged for going into the cargo compartent as checked-in luggage as they will certainly not allow you to hand carry it to the cabin even in the business class if they won't fit or too heavy to place in the overhead storage. Good idea if you can bring them in pieces and reassemble them in Thailand. A desktop casing and power unit alone shouldn't cost you too much here.

Edited by Nordlys

I have brought two desk top CPU's into Thailand. (different trips) Both with keyboards and one with an LCD monitor. Nothing was said and I walked out the nothing to declare line. It was interesting that the one I marked FRAGILE was damaged. The other I learned and stuck a soft pillow inside the case to keep the boards from jiggling and packed the case in the original styrofoam packing. It travelled just fine.

Over the years I have imported a number of items in my personal baggage.

If asked I just say it is my personal property and there has been no problem.

Even brand new items in their original boxes!!

Unless you have drugs in the cabinet.......... :o

Edited by astral

Ill be arriving this January on Multiple-entry Non Immigrant visa,  I want to bring a few things like my pc and my LCD monitor.  Will there be trouble with customs?

My worry is tariffs and the fact that my luggage will be torn apart because it has electronics in it.

Ive no idea how to bring this crap with me, maybe I should just bring my hard drive, vid, sound card and monitor and purchase a new box, mobo and processor.

If I bring key components like I mentioned above would I get hassled?

*am I nuts for wanting to bring my mountain bike?  Ill probably put that up on the rack with my cars too. :o .

Think about it, if you use up an extra suitcase or even a half-container to ship your electronics, you'll probably end up spending between $100 to $300 on shipping alone.

Why do that when you can build a new system over here for less than $500?

Sell your monitor (you can buy the exact same one here for the same price). Rip out your hard drive and any special cards you might have (like Firewire or a TV tuner), and then just go over to Pantip or S.Rangsit or the new IT City (the old Laksi Plaza) and have them insert your components into a new box and board. Should only take an hour and you'll have a brand new system with all the bells and whistles.

That's what I did with my hard drive and video card. I just packed them in my suitcase surrounded by lots of clothes and they came through the flight just fine. Then I purchased a new Pentium machine with a 60GB drive, had them install my old hard drive as a G:drive and I installed the video card and camera ports myself. Total cost was around $500 and it's served me well for 3 years.

I just recently purchased two Pentium machines with LCD flat screens and DVD-writers for less than $1000 and they're pretty dam_ fly. Go to Pantip Plaza and (on the 4th floor I believe) there is a shop called "Family Fun". I know the owner and she owns several stores in Pantip so you can be assured that her people are reputable, qualified and professional. They'll assemble a high-end system for you and there's no worries about any two-tiered pricing because you're a farang. All the prices are posted and if you want to haggle for a discount, that'll depend on your bargaining skill, nothing else.

As for a mountain bike. Bring it if you can. Bikes in this country are CRAP.

Edited by Pudgimelon

If they charge you it could be much higher that you might expect (even if not a penalty fine for non declare) as it will be new price plus shipment by air on your flight most probably.

If they assess duty, the freight charge they used to add – and perhaps still do – is 1% of first class air fare per kilo.