The Cheapest Charlie

bermondburi

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate who was over from the UK for Xmas? He came over done his usual BKK, Pattaya thing. Then wanted to do something different. So ok I had a word with the G/F, we decided to take him to Bang-Sapan over Christmas. I drove down in my car from BKK. His contribution for the whole journey (both ways) Bt1000. When we got there we drove around looking for accommodation. Found a beautiful new bungalow, right on the beach. I am sure we were the first guests to use it. It was two bedroom, two showers, In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights. All the time we were there the guy took us out every day sightseeing. On one occasion we stopped in a little fishing village for a meal. At the end of it my mate? declared that it was the best meal he had ever eaten. It cost me 1000 Bt?. Each day the guy stopped of at a local market on the way back to buy food for the evening. G/F and myself eat a lot of fruit and veg so to us it just seemed natural for us to buy what we wanted. When we got back she messed in with the guy and his mate who was doing the cooking. To prepare the evening meal. On the last day when we asked for the bill it came to 8,860Bt, the extra being minibar. My mate? handed over 3,000Bt.

Meanwhile back in BKK he pays a visit to one of his haunts in Soi Cowboy, gets talking to a girl buys her a coke? Two of her mates join them he also buys them cokes, being the big spender. The end of the night his bill comes to just under 4,000 Bt. It turns out that they were supposedly drinking Tequila and Coke. When I told my G/F we didn't laugh much, honest

jb1

• Like 1

When I worked in one of the big hotels in BKKit was not unusual for a couple to come in for breakfast (included in the room price) with a friend or two and, on being presented with a bill for their friends simply refuse to pay because " the rooms were too expensive anyhow"

So following that train of thought if I buy a top of the line Sony Viao from the Sony shop I can just help myself to a Walkman on the way out.

My mate who was over from the UK for Xmas? He came over done his usual BKK, Pattaya thing. Then wanted to do something different. So ok I had a word with the G/F, we decided to take him to Bang-Sapan over Christmas. I drove down in my car from BKK. His contribution for the whole journey (both ways) Bt1000. When we got there we drove around looking for accommodation. Found a beautiful new bungalow, right on the beach. I am sure we were the first guests to use it. It was two bedroom, two showers, In fact it was designed to be let as one complete unit or two separate units. We decided as we were all together to take it as one unit. My G/F done the deal with the guy, breakfast + evening meal 8000 Bt for 5 nights. All the time we were there the guy took us out every day sightseeing. On one occasion we stopped in a little fishing village for a meal. At the end of it my mate? declared that it was the best meal he had ever eaten. It cost me 1000 Bt?. Each day the guy stopped of at a local market on the way back to buy food for the evening. G/F and myself eat a lot of fruit and veg so to us it just seemed natural for us to buy what we wanted. When we got back she messed in with the guy and his mate who was doing the cooking. To prepare the evening meal. On the last day when we asked for the bill it came to 8,860Bt, the extra being minibar. My mate? handed over 3,000Bt.

Meanwhile back in BKK he pays a visit to one of his haunts in Soi Cowboy, gets talking to a girl buys her a coke? Two of her mates join them he also buys them cokes, being the big spender. The end of the night his bill comes to just under 4,000 Bt. It turns out that they were supposedly drinking Tequila and Coke. When I told my G/F we didn't laugh much, honest

jb1

Ya gf doesn't have to pay? :D

When I worked in one of the big hotels in BKKit was not unusual for a couple to come in for breakfast (included in the room price) with a friend or two and, on being presented with a bill for their friends simply refuse to pay because " the rooms were too expensive anyhow"

So following that train of thought if I buy a top of the line Sony Viao from the Sony shop I can just help myself to a Walkman on the way out.

You would be doing well to help yourself to a Walkman I'd say

Sorry to stray off topic, I clicked like on rakers post above , now what? Is there a running tally somewhere or whats the point. Does he get an sms or something say his post was liked?

As for tight wads, too many to mention with one brush. Guys that take the 25 satang change from anywhere rank up there in my books.

jb1

Ya gf doesn't have to pay? biggrin.png

He always stays at guest friendly places?

Had we taken the option to split the place in two, the price would have Bt 4000 each. OK

jb1

Well, I will cross a busy road to save four baht, and I have lots of company. On the other hand, I usually leave change under one baht on the counter, or throw it in fountains, or whatever ...

http://www.thaivisa....to-save-x-baht/

I throw my satang into a piggy bank at home. It really adds up. After four years I have about a 100 baht. Can I join the club? passifier.gif

Well, I will cross a busy road to save four baht, and I have lots of company. On the other hand, I usually leave change under one baht on the counter, or throw it in fountains, or whatever ...

I throw my satang into a piggy bank at home. It really adds up. After four years I have about a 100 baht. Can I join the club? passifier.gif

I actually like to leave it in public places. On top of phone booths, etc. Someday I'll probably get a 10,000 baht littering fine for that.

I actually like to leave it in public places. On top of phone booths, etc. Someday I'll probably get a 10,000 baht littering fine for that.

Karma gone wrong . . . wacko.png

I once knew somebody that would would put out unfinished cigarettes and put them back in the pack to finish later. Stereo-typically, he was from Yorkshire.

my nan used to do that-with frigging roll ups

You mate went 3rd's on the total bill, whats the issue ?

Must admit, I'm struggling to see what's so wrong about it also.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

• Like 1

I guess people can call me tight if they want but before a night out, I drink a bottle of sangsom from 7eleven whilst getting ready so I'm feeling in the mood as the night starts. Then I don't have to spend so much on booze in bars.

Also once or twice I have filled a bucket with my own alcohol and gone dancing acting like I just bought the bucket from the bar... But that's only when I've really gone over budget for the month.

I was once invited out by a friend, he had his GF with him. I bought a round, he bought a round and when it came to her round....... They tried to claim that as a couple they only had to pay once, which of course left me paying double.

If the OP is expecting his friend to chip in when the GF doesn't, I don't think the OP's friend is the one that is being cheap.

if its a two bedroom apartment, then thats it 2 rooms, bill split in half, as to rounds of drinks or food, when there are three then thats different, the couple should buy two rounds. but bedrooms should be paid equal, he had one bedroom, so did the couple, rooms are charged each room, not each occupant

Edited by steve187

if its a two bedroom apartment, then thats it 2 rooms, bill split in half, as to rounds of drinks or food, when there are three then thats different, the couple should buy two rounds. but bedrooms should be paid equal, he had one bedroom, so did the couple, rooms are charged each room, not each occupant

You miss the point.

His friend his paying out. The GF is (presumably) paying nothing.

The GF pays nothing and is along for a free ride yet the friend is the one accused of being tight? The GF effectively gets a free holiday, or collectively both get a discounted holiday, yet still they have the nerve to moan that their friend is the tight one?

They had the option of taking the bungalow as two separate units, they didn't. Instead they chose to rent it as one and split the cost. Splitting the cost means just that

Edited by Moonrakers

You miss the point.

His friend his paying out. The GF is (presumably) paying nothing.

The GF pays nothing and is along for a free ride yet the friend is the one accused of being tight? The GF effectively gets a free holiday, or collectively both get a discounted holiday, yet still they have the nerve to moan that their friend is the tight one?

They had the option of taking the bungalow as two separate units, they didn't. Instead they chose to rent it as one and split the cost. Splitting the cost means just that

And divided by 3,not 2 and a free GF!,

I think the OP chose to ignore the divide by 3 issue, and his mate can go home with a clear conscience

Edited by MAJIC

We (my friends and I) usually consider Thais as too poor to be included in cost splitting.

It would just be mean to expect contributions from Thai girls (they have to buy their own food in bars).

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Edited by ludditeman

Where do I start, well my wife rents out rooms for a living she owns some and acts as an agent for others, one guy has sent her e mails asking questions about the same room for 2, YES TWO years, Im waiting for him to ask if it includes "X number" of sheets of toilet paper in the rent price.

We reckon he lives in a trailer park, dreams of coming to Thailand, is almost at the travel agents every week but never quite books the ticket.

he is always asking if we can lower the price then invents imaginary dates when he is coming. On it goes, I have his first e mail from 2 years ago, he pops up every 6 months or so in our inbox.

Tight or weird??? who knows but theres a lot of nutters out there coming here

• Like 1