Opening Uk Bank Acct When You Have Been Away

Not so much of a problem for me as have kept a few accts open. But a friend was mentioning about different accts and we noticed that for many you needed to be resident in the UK and some even specified for the past 3 years.

Anyone have experience of this when you have been away or are in UK part time but still have UK address.

The UK banking system is a sham.........most institutions incorrectly interprate rules set down by the FSA as they are so worried about being fined....money laundering docs they ask for is a classic example....I opened an account at SCB in 12 minutes and walked out with passbook, ATM and pin number, in the UK that would take at least two weeks....unless its an offshore account you need to be "normally resident' in the UK and if you havnt lived at your present address for at least two years they require the previous address.........load of cobblers

The UK banking system is a sham.........most institutions incorrectly interprate rules set down by the FSA as they are so worried about being fined....money laundering docs they ask for is a classic example....I opened an account at SCB in 12 minutes and walked out with passbook, ATM and pin number, in the UK that would take at least two weeks....unless its an offshore account you need to be "normally resident' in the UK and if you havnt lived at your present address for at least two years they require the previous address.........load of cobblers

I think you are right there. I asked a few of my daughters friends (Thai) who have studied in UK what they did and they all had to pay around 10 GBP or more just to have a bank acct (per month)

So it seems they can sting the non res people for more fees.

I tried a couple of years back at Nationwide and struggled, so left it. Keeping existing accounts is a sensible option

smile.png

That's what I've done but some people I've talked to see to have closed theirs down. I can see how this could be a nightmare. Even one year trying to open another acct; I really could have used my existing but thought why not have one at this bank too. It was really difficult but it became a "challenge" and I really react to those giggle.gif

Needless to say I achieved "mission accomplished"

Now I'm doing a bit of thinking ahead and seeing this could be a problem for my children if they go to UK but with a UK address I think we can achieve it if I can get some of the utility bills put in their names.

http://moneyfacts.co...oof-of-address/

This article gives some useful pointers.

Edited by cmsally

When I was in BKK in 2010 I wanted to carry out a financial transaction through my UK Broker. Easy enough one might think...WRONG. I have a house in the UK, an NI number, EU passport, bank account, UK credit card and UK driver and Pilot licenses . I was still required to prove my identity and have it attested by the Brit Embassy. The only document accepted was my drivers license because it contained my address. I was faced with about B5K expenses including courier charges back to the UK; not a fortune, but it meant a two week delay in my getting my own dosh. During this period any interest was lost down a big black hole. To add insult to injury, when I requested my details to be returned to me by the Broker, answer NO, so what happens to my personal information in the meantime, answer from my Broker, 'we are required to retain your information for 4 years before it can be returned'. The banking system (not directly involved here, but they might as well have been), and the administration and red tape that the FSA places on ordinary folk wishing to conduct simple transactions, is absolutely outrageous. Don't' trust UK banks or internet banking so since then I have had my salary paid in cash. An higher level of security risk is involved but at least I have full control over how and when my hard earned dosh is handled. Unfortunately there are (rare) occasions when banks have to be used.

Edited by lumply

I haven't lived in the U.K for a while, but i remember they use to check the electoral register when you wanted to open bank accounts, to check if you were a resident. One possible way around this is the HSBC bank, because they are a global bank, they have a policy of opening bank accounts for you, if you can get a referral letter from another HSBC bank anywhere in the world. so you can open an HSBC account somewhere in the region, get a referral letter, and you should be able to open an account in the U.K. I did try this once in Malaysia, as i have an HSBC account in Hong Kong, and they confirmed it can be done. If you can get an HSBC account in Hong Kong, they have a special service where they will open accounts for you in other countries in advance of relocation.

It all depends on the bank.

I have just opened two brand new UK onshore accounts with banks that I have never dealt with before. I did it from here online/by post with my Thai address.

One of them wanted copies of 2 pieces of photo ID and 2 pieces of address ID, all certified by my bank here. TMB (bless them) did the 4 certifications for nothing. smile.png

The other bank wanted 1 copy of photo ID and 2 original address ID documents, and the certification has to be done by a lawyer or Embassy official. As it happens I had a certified copy of my passport to hand from a property transaction that happened a few months ago, so I sent that.

I took advantage of being in the UK last month to open 3 other accounts, also with banks I've not used before, again with my Thai addess, but of course I was able to go in person and let them see the original documents, which is always easier. They only needed one photo ID and one address ID. They took their own copies.

I stayed away for years, Llyods closed my accounts and when I tried to open some, it wouldn't work, I couldn't pass electronic checks.

Then I started using my niece's UK address (with her consent). This (going on the electoral register) involved me going to the town hall, filling a form in, and sending it back. Then a form went out for my niece to sign and confirm the names of the people resident there.

TIP: remember the date you went on the register. When you open accounts, it will ask how long you've been there, and if your answer is wildly out, then it raises red flags.

Once you're on, it takes a while to 'get on the the systems', but once I did this, then I opened up a load of accounts. One building society just did the electronic check and didn't even want my physical ID. I think the reasoning with the banks is, if you're on the electoral register, then they're covered.

So, go on that as soon as possible. I've opened I think five accounts now, and no one asked me for a utility bill, just Driving L. plus being one the electoral register was enough. Also, banks don't all use the same criteria, just one refused me, so if one says no, ask others (but I think lots of failed attempts at opening is recorded somewhere... so don't go mad).

I stayed away for years, Llyods closed my accounts and when I tried to open some, it wouldn't work, I couldn't pass electronic checks.

Then I started using my niece's UK address (with her consent). This (going on the electoral register) involved me going to the town hall, filling a form in, and sending it back. Then a form went out for my niece to sign and confirm the names of the people resident there.

TIP: remember the date you went on the register. When you open accounts, it will ask how long you've been there, and if your answer is wildly out, then it raises red flags.

Once you're on, it takes a while to 'get on the the systems', but once I did this, then I opened up a load of accounts. One building society just did the electronic check and didn't even want my physical ID. I think the reasoning with the banks is, if you're on the electoral register, then they're covered.

So, go on that as soon as possible. I've opened I think five accounts now, and no one asked me for a utility bill, just Driving L. plus being one the electoral register was enough. Also, banks don't all use the same criteria, just one refused me, so if one says no, ask others (but I think lots of failed attempts at opening is recorded somewhere... so don't go mad).

If you are registered at her place, does she have to pay Poll Tax for you? Am sure all residents of a home must pay.

I am on the electoral register in my home town, but not registered at my mums house, my mum votes for me.

But would like to open an account at a bank in the UK, which ones are the easiest these days?

Edited by beano2274

It's not clear what constitutes a 'resident' either. I had trouble once going back and trying to claim benefit as I hadn't retained any UK links. But now I'm registered with a UK doctor, belong to this spiritual group I joined, have a library card etc. etc. This is where I slipped up last time, I couldn't show any evidence that I intended to return.

If you are registered at her place, does she have to pay Poll Tax for you? Am sure all residents of a home must pay.

No, that changed when it went from being Poll Tax to Council Tax some years back.

When it was Poll Tax then yes everyone paid, the thinking behind it was that it cost more to empty the bins when there were eight in the house rather than two. When it went to be a Council Tax, similar to the old Rates, then you were charged on the value of the house rather than the number of occupants, though there is a discount for a single occupant.

So now an old couple who have lived in a nice house for years and seen it's value increase will pay more than eight people crammed into a two up two down.

No, that changed when it went from being Poll Tax to Council Tax some years back.

When it was Poll Tax then yes everyone paid, the thinking behind it was that it cost more to empty the bins when there were eight in the house rather than two. When it went to be a Council Tax, similar to the old Rates, then you were charged on the value of the house rather than the number of occupants, though there is a discount for a single occupant.

So now an old couple who have lived in a nice house for years and seen it's value increase will pay more than eight people crammed into a two up two down.

thanks for the info

It's not clear what constitutes a 'resident' either. I had trouble once going back and trying to claim benefit as I hadn't retained any UK links. But now I'm registered with a UK doctor, belong to this spiritual group I joined, have a library card etc. etc. This is where I slipped up last time, I couldn't show any evidence that I intended to return.

The current government plan to introduce a 'Statutory Residence Test' to determine who is and isn't UK resident, at least for tax purposes.