What Is The Ratio Of Russian To English Speakers These Days?

submaniac

Overall, their food is BORING. If you are making a list of the most wonderful cuisines in the world, Russian food is near the bottom of the list. Of course the Communist Soviets made it much worse and trashed the cuisines of other cultures under their steel fist, and it has gotten better since all that changed, but still, overall, boring.

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

Chinese, please come and EAT here!

You're always going on about Chinese food. I prefer the good old "meat and potatoes" Russian fare over Chinese crap.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATTA tourist arrivals show an interesting story

But these only count people who use some sort of package from an ATTA member, which discounts all the individual travellers, long-stayers, retirees, working people etc.

Overall, their food is BORING. If you are making a list of the most wonderful cuisines in the world, Russian food is near the bottom of the list. Of course the Communist Soviets made it much worse and trashed the cuisines of other cultures under their steel fist, and it has gotten better since all that changed, but still, overall, boring.

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

You're always going on about Chinese food. I prefer the good old "meat and potatoes" Russian fare over Chinese crap.

What can I say? Some people don't taste food. How does food designed for cold winters in Siberia fit well in a TROPICAL environment?

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

Unlike tasty British, German, Dutch and Scandinavian food.

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

Yes, Chinese (in all its vastness) is objectively a superior food culture to ALL of those. No contest.
  • Like 1

Truly can't reason much difference between a dominating Farang species as Pattaya is concerned. Brit or Russian. Either are [and have] very destructive to the evolution of the immediate region.

This perceived Anglo hold on domination and xenophobic sense towards foreign places is sadly humourous at best. The Empire faded some time back.......

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

Yes, Chinese (in all its vastness) is objectively a superior food culture to ALL of those. No contest.

Indeed. Mother of all cuisines...jap.gif

• Like 1

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

What can I say? Some people don't taste food. How does food designed for cold winters in Siberia fit well in a TROPICAL environment?

Perhaps once upon a time I would agree with you, but after seeing so many different nationalities sitting down to what I would basicaly call inedible I've come to realise that we should not judge the quality of another nationality's food choices.

For example, my Filipino wife would prefer to sit down to eat something I could not even stomach no matter what choices and cuisines she had to choose from.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

I was brought up on Dutch food. Much of it was designed for cold weather, just as it is in most northern European countries yet I can still enjoy it in Thailand. I'd be pretty sure you've eaten plenty of cold weather food here too - how about stews?

Indeed. Mother of all cuisines...jap.gif

Perhaps you've been influenced by Western style Chinese.

In such a vast nation there must be extreme variations in cuisine. Perhaps in the northern extremes of China bording on Siberia the food is very similar.

Yes, I love variety, including Russian food. Sometimes. My grandmother cooked (fantastic) borscht. Better than you could imagine getting in any restaurant. So I have the right to comment on the monotony and bland lack of adventurousness of Russian food. Dutch food? You're so lucky you used to rule Indonesia! It's not that I'm against Russian food per se, but for a foodie like me to see so many new places opening serving Russian food (and most of it is mediocre at best) instead of more interesting choices, that's not so wonderful. So what do we have now, 100 places in town serving Russian food and not one Sechuan hot pot restaurant? That is INSANE!

There is at least one more interesting Russian place in town. That place between 2nd and 3rd north of Pattaya Klang, because they serve GEORGIAN (bordering Turkey) food!

Edited by Jingthing

I'm quick to be suspiscious of those whom display intense defence of all things European blindly.

Remembering, that European civilisations have been greatly dependent and highly influenced universally by traditional non-European civilisations.

Historical diffusion is dominated by those in question.

I was walking past the Jomtien bahtbus queue by the school and South Rd the other day.

A Russian said "<incomprehensible> Jomtien?" to the girl herding farangs onto the bahtbus.

"Da, da, da", she replied.

Which is thai.So what is your point exactly?

I was walking past the Jomtien bahtbus queue by the school and South Rd the other day.

A Russian said "<incomprehensible> Jomtien?" to the girl herding farangs onto the bahtbus.

Meaning what?

Yes jing you are right i meant to type ja ja maybe he misheard..I guess soon they will learn how to say &lt;deleted&gt; you in Ruskie to.

I know near pattaya park a Thai food vendor who speak fluent Russian

Edited by HIGHRISE

So what do we have now, 100 places in town serving Russian food and not one Sechuan hot pot restaurant? That is INSANE!

So one thing is certain - Russians like to eat Russian food while on vacation - even though they could eat a lot cheaper.

There is also the comfort aspect of eating one's home cuisine to consider. I suppose Americans, Australians and some other multicultural nationilities don't really have a home cuisine to crave for and are therefore more adventurous in their food selections.

So what do we have now, 100 places in town serving Russian food and not one Sechuan hot pot restaurant? That is INSANE!

So one thing is certain - Russians like to eat Russian food while on vacation - even though they could eat a lot cheaper.

There is also the comfort aspect of eating one's home cuisine to consider. I suppose Americans, Australians and some other multicultural nationilities don't really have a home cuisine to crave for and are therefore more adventurous in their food selections.

&lt;deleted&gt;. Americans have a home cuisine. We're (American travelers and expats anyway) just as a generality more adventurous than other nationals in the food department.

You want to try some typical regional American "home" cuisine. Try the new Lone Star BBQ place on Soi Lengkee. Or yes Sunrise Tacos as California burritos are American food, not Mexican food. Or how about Deli-zza for New York style deli sandwiches? Obviously, the richness and variety of American "home" cuisine isn't represented very well here, but there are some tastes on offer.

OK, you can include McD's and KFC if you like. I don't like, but so many do, and their American fast food origin can't be denied.

Edited by Jingthing

&lt;deleted&gt;. Americans have a home cuisine. We're (American travelers and expats anyway) just as a generality more adventurous than other nationals in the food department.

&lt;deleted&gt; to you too. There's too many cultures in America to indicate a specific "home cuisine". It's just a silly as saying Australia has a "home cuinsine" when people may originate from all over the world.

&lt;deleted&gt; to you too. There's too many cultures in America to indicate a specific "home cuisine". It's just a silly as saying Australia has a "home cuinsine" when people may originate from all over the world.

I can't speak for Australia but I can speak for America. All countries have foreign influences. There is nothing odd about that and nothing which makes that mean a country doesn't have a distinctive cuisine. Italian without tomatoes from the new world, try that one out. I will say that because of the massive size and diversity of the USA, the regional aspects of it are where you find the flavor and it is hard to pinpoint one national taste. Cheers. Edited by Jingthing

A "great Russian moment" last night. As I was walking on soi 1 behind a chubby 50ish Russian mother and her daughter (yes, they were speaking Russian),they walked into this dark, abandoned yard that has druggies living in the neglected house in the back. Being curious why they walked into this dark place,I stopped and looked over the wall. OMG...the lady was squatting down taking a piss! She was lucky the soi dogs that hang out in the yard didn't bite one of her cheeks.

A "great Russian moment" last night. As I was walking on soi 1 behind a chubby 50ish Russian mother and her daughter (yes, they were speaking Russian),they walked into this dark, abandoned yard that has druggies living in the neglected house in the back. Being curious why they walked into this dark place,I stopped and looked over the wall. OMG...the lady was squatting down taking a piss! She was lucky the soi dogs that hang out in the yard didn't bite one of her cheeks.

clap2.gif LOL

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

...unless you are actually IN China where "Chinese cuisine" is a myth.

NL

China 1981-91

Let me guess... you don't have a phone with a built-in camera?

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

...unless you are actually IN China where "Chinese cuisine" is a myth.

NL

China 1981-91

Explain yourself. Obviously Chinese food includes a vast array of regional styles.

There's too many cultures in America to indicate a specific "home cuisine". It's just a silly as saying Australia has a "home cuinsine" when people may originate from all over the world.

I can't speak for Australia but I can speak for America.... I will say that because of the massive size and diversity of the USA, the regional aspects of it are where you find the flavor and it is hard to pinpoint one national taste. Cheers.

Ummm... are you chaps agreeing to disagree or disagreeing to agree? Seems that you are both making the same point; that there is no homogenized US-style cuisine... it's just too large and diverse.

I am pretty sure Russian cuisine will be a 'breakout' cuisine eventually as the country is also large and diverse. The palate of those around the Mediterranean-like Black Sea probably don't particularly appreciate the 'Siberian' choices. Much like Chicken Fried Steak isn't standard fare in Alaska. However, that breakout won't happen until more people visit Russia and share their dining experiences or, much more likely, when people like Gordon Ramsay, Antony Bordain and their ilk make it 'special' just so they get more viewers and higher ratings.

PS. Chinese cuisine is same same.... just too diverse to be lumped in as 'one' cuisine. My experiences were mostly in the northwest. It was 100% sh!te but I am not saying that such REGIONAL delights as Lancashire Szechuan Hotpot are not 'to die for.' They just didn't do it in Qinghai.

Edited by NanLaew

There's too many cultures in America to indicate a specific "home cuisine". It's just a silly as saying Australia has a "home cuinsine" when people may originate from all over the world.

I can't speak for Australia but I can speak for America.... I will say that because of the massive size and diversity of the USA, the regional aspects of it are where you find the flavor and it is hard to pinpoint one national taste. Cheers.

Ummm... are you chaps agreeing to disagree or disagreeing to agree? Seems that you are both making the same point; that there is no homogenized US-style cuisine... it's just too large and diverse.

I am pretty sure Russian cuisine will be a 'breakout' cuisine eventually as the country is also large and diverse. The palate of those around the Mediterranean-like Black Sea probably don't particularly appreciate the 'Siberian' choices. Much like Chicken Fried Steak isn't standard fare in Alaska. However, that breakout won't happen until more people visit Russia and share their dining experiences or, much more likely, when people like Gordon Ramsay, Antony Bordain and their ilk make it 'special' just so they get more viewers and higher ratings.

Actually recently saw a hilarious show of Bourdain in the Ukraine. The highlights were the bread, the vodka, and black market (totally illegal) Beluga caviar. Yes I know Ukraine is not Russia.

I agree Russian food can be duded up, but I totally disagree with you that Russian will ever be an international trendy cuisine.

As far as diversity within cultures, come on now, nobody disputes that Italian cuisine exists yet there is massive regional diversity there as well. Hardly a one taste cuisine.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok yeah right ok hmmm

Edited by HIGHRISE

Actually recently saw a hilarious show of Bourdain in the Ukraine. The highlights were the bread, the vodka, and black market (totally illegal) Beluga caviar. Yes I know Ukraine is not Russia.

I agree Russian food can be duded up, but I totally disagree with you that Russian will ever be an international trendy cuisine.

As far as diversity within cultures, come on now, nobody disputes that Italian cuisine exists yet there is massive regional diversity there as well. Hardly a one taste cuisine.

I have only caught a couple of Bourdain's shows but I will admit that he is very entertaining. The fact that he even aired prime-time feature on Ukraine (not Russian) food indicates that if he wasn't dipping his toe in the waters, the shows producers were. Relatively easy to find a start-end point on Ukraine versus the whole of Russia.

"Russian food can be duded up".... There is no generic Russian menu but certain REGIONAL Russian cuisines may well be rescued from the illusion of it being all about borscht and bread. In the past three months, I have seen two different articles in two different airline magazines highlighting the 'breakout' Norwegian kitchen. Now, who would have thought that there was anything else but lutefisk and ryebrot there? Maybe there isn't but it doesn't really matter that you, I or others don't see any future for "Russian" epicurean delights, because tastes are peculiar to individuals and someone will, 'duded up' or otherwise. Just takes one series of 'Ramsay's Russia' to tilt things.

You are spot-on with Italy's culinary diversity but in all honesty, what has been historically touted as "genuine Italian" since the days of your parents (and probably before)? The fact is that probably 90% of average punters when asked what they think about when they hear "Italian" food, they are will say either pizza, lasagne or spaghetti, none of which are 'universal' in Italy itself.

All off topic of course!

Regarding the OP; there's no denying there's more "Russians" coming to Pattaya than ever before but don't forget that there's also far, far less "Brits" coming as well.

Edited by NanLaew

IMHO speakers of English far outnumber speakers of Russian, around here.

Many people from Western Europe speak English, and many Thai people also.

Very few nationalities besides Russian actually speak the language.

It's actually interesting to observe in former Eastern bloc countries, the older people can often speak German and/or Russian, but the younger people specialise in English