Thais Fall Too Easily For Rumour And Superstition

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thais fall too easily for rumour and superstition

The Nation

It's in our nature to believe in gossip and hearsay, but this can be a very dangerous thing when the social media spread panic like wildfire

The recent controversy over the prophecy that one of the country's largest dams would burst on New Year's Eve has shown how vulnerable Thai society is to rumours and speculation based on unscientific evidence.

Thongbai Khamsi, a 73-year-old man, was recently charged with causing public harm by raising a false alarm that one of the country's largest dams would burst on New Year's Eve. The old man from Chantaburi province became the talk of the town after making the prophecy on the YouTube website.

Uncle Thongbai said his late son, who passed away 37 years ago, predicted that the Bhumiphol Dam would burst open on the night of December 31, 2011. Luckily, it did not. His son was supposedly five years old when he made the prediction, but it remains unclear whether Thongbai actually had a son or not. Nevertheless, the public went wild for the story.

The police subsequently summoned Uncle Thongbai and pressed charges against him. Thongbai was subject to a 15-day jail sentence, pending a two-year probation period. Several press outlets and TV talk shows were soon hunting Thongbai down to get him on TV and question him about why the dam did not break as he had predicted.

The status of Thongbai, or his late son, known as "Pla Boo", turned from highly regarded prophet to a clown overnight. The word "Pla Boo" has now become a metaphor for a silly and unfounded belief.

But should Thongbai solely be blamed for creating national panic? After all, his prophecy would not have become this widely publicised if the media and the public had not pushed the issue so far.

Let's start from the source of controversy. Like many YouTube clips, Pla Boo's prophecy became a sensation because of quickly-spreading word of mouth. It resonated well with the psychology of many Thais, who have felt insecure after the recent massive flooding and the lack of reliable information from the government.

Thongbai instantly connected with his audience after he claimed his son had correctly predicted that a tsunami would hit Thailand in 2004. Officials in Tak province, where the Bhumiphol Dam is located, said the false prediction caused a 90 per cent drop in tourist arrivals to the area during the holiday season, and a loss of Bt400 million in income.

It's astonishing to see that while Thais are considered among the world's most active users of social networks, many are quick to be taken in by unscientific predictions. Everyone has the right to believe in whatever he or she chooses, but in the Thongbai case, everyone who helped spread the news is responsible for creating public panic. If Thongbai's prediction had not been shared or forwarded, the audience would have been limited.

The mainstream media also plays a role in propelling this kind of prophecy, and in playing up superstitions, such as suggesting on front pages that the vehicle number plate of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra could provide a winning lottery number.

But Thongbai is not alone in predicting catastrophic events. Many social media outlets talk about the Mayan prophecy of the day when the world will end. But the mainstream media elsewhere have not picked up and framed such stories as seriously as the Thai media featured the "Pla Boo" craze. One of the talk show hosts pressed Thongbai in front of the camera about what he would be willing to do if the dam did not break on the traditional Thai new year day in April. They are all responsible for fuelling the hype.

Prophecies and predictions are meant to make us cautious and prepared. But a more scientific-minded public should learn how to digest such information with care and knowledge. Otherwise, we will be vulnerable to gossip and rumour, which can be dangerous, especially when the social media help spread unfounded information like wildfire.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-13

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend is a big believer in ghosts,and it drives me daft..... i tell her 100 times not to worry, no ghosts are going to come and get us, but she still believes in them...... i guess they are all over the tv, so why wouldnt she believe....

It's astonishing to see that while Thais are considered among the world's most active users of social networks, many are quick to be taken in by unscientific predictions.

Has this author never seen the ridiculous rumours and urban legends that are passed around and believed by many foriegners on Facebook? I can't believe the ridiculous chain emails some of my relatives pass around. Social networks make these rumours and superstitions even more powerful than they were previously. Seeing a rumour in writing seems to bestow more legitimacy on to it than when it was just passed word of mouth.

When Swampy was being built a contractor told the Minister of Transport that work was progressing slowly because the area was invested with evil spirits. Relating this to the Press the Minister said that he knew this was true because as he was speaking to the phu yai contractor one flew by just missing him.

A week after Michael Jackson's death, my g/f was quite concerned that he might come back to haunt me as I had enjoyed a good laugh at some of the jokes flying around. Even though I assured her that he would be more interested in 10yo boys with blonde hair and blue eyes, she was unconvinced and quite nervous for a few days until the "official" haunting period finished.

Don't even mention 2012 - that bloody movie has a lot to answer for.

Years ago went to see Shutter, a thai ghost movie, not bad I must say. The BF of a girl watched her get raped by his frends and she killed her self. This guy had heeps of problems and all the ghosty Thai stuff was happening.

During the movie the Thai girls sceamed at every little thing and 2 were actualy sobbing through most of the movie.

It ended up, in the movie, this girl was sitting on the guys shoulders forever. When we were exiting the cinema with lots of people going in and out I put my hands on Mrs boggles shoulders and pressed down.

Wellllllll she turned around hit me with her hand bag and yelled, in front of everyone,"dont play with this boggle its serious stuff".

Needless to say the movie had been off the conversation list for many years. Only recently through my annoying ramblings do we discuss this and many other thai beliefs. Very interesting. I have assured her any ghosts that dare come around us will get a punch in the nose. She finds this quite funny. I must say after years of my brain washing her, she is a lot more open to discussion about Thai beliefs and why they believe.

She also thinks farang ghosts and zombies are perthetic compared to Thai's.

Can be very funny to discuss with your trusted thai friends but like many things thai try to show some level of respect or they will just clam up.

Edited by boggle

Surely you jest??.....Thais believing in rumour and superstition? I would never have thought. More to the point my year has been mapped out to me already by my GF as she has read my horoscope for the year. Apparently there is nothing I can do to change it......oh well, she may as well get my lifetime one done, it will save me a lot of forward planning.

The son of a friend of mine quit a good job overseas so he can be with his family when the end comes later this year.

Thailand would be a boring old place without its beliefs and customs though eh.

Please tell me you are joking. Please?

I tried this logic on my Thai partner. First I established that a ghost was the spirit of a dead person. Then by extension all living people must have a spirit (ghost) still inside their bodies. Next in order to be active everything needs energy. As your own spirit may draw on the energy of the living body then it must be more powerful than a ghost, so you have nothing to fear.

It seemed to workbiggrin.png

I tried this logic on my Thai partner. First I established that a ghost was the spirit of a dead person. Then by extension all living people must have a spirit (ghost) still inside their bodies. Next in order to be active everything needs energy. As your own spirit may draw on the energy of the living body then it must be more powerful than a ghost, so you have nothing to fear.

It seemed to workbiggrin.png

You not Thai people. You not understand.

• Like 2

It is quite funny that the sale prophet seem to be responsible for the loss in income on New Year's day. If every conman operating from temples and villages are held liable for their false predictions a few new jails are needed.

Worse than falling for rumors or spreading them are the "witch doctors" operating as de facto real doctors in villages. Spitting babies in the face that are unable to sleep and who replace real doctors with nonsense medication. The focus should be on rooting out the Moh Doo, not the people who predict that the en of the world is nearby or who predict lottery numbers.

I wonder how many farangs who laugh at thai's believing in ghosts also believe about that bloke called jesus who they claim died, came back to life, and made wine out of water , oh and his mum was a virgin too.

+1

If the headline read "People fall too easily....", it would be more accurate. Not news, but at least accurate.

I wonder how many farangs who laugh at thai's believing in ghosts also believe about that bloke called jesus who they claim died, came back to life, and made wine out of water , oh and his mum was a virgin too.

Well...to begin with: Jesus was a historical figure. He actually existed...although the rest of the story maybe mumbo- jumbo.

But ok...put up another spirit- house and put some colorful ribbons round trees or buy a sticker, that states, your metallic Toyota is actually green....

Well...to begin with: Jesus was a historical figure. He actually existed...although the rest of the story maybe mumbo- jumbo.

But ok...put up another spirit- house and put some colorful ribbons round trees or buy a sticker, that states, your metallic Toyota is actually green....

As i said i wonder how many farang's laugh at ghosts and yet they themselves believe in jesus dieing, coming back to life and making wine out of water- believeing in ghosts and believing in jesus doing that stuff- kind of a TomAHto, TomAto type of thing.

Edited by ExpatJ

my [Thai] gf recently told me that two friends should not both eat duck at the same meal. Brings bad luck. Her uncle knew two good friends who ate duck together, and soon after they had a bad falling out.

So, there you are. Post hoc,ergo propter hoc. After this, therefore BECAUSE of this.

How many footballers (all good Catholic boys), as they come on to the field of play, touch the turf and make the sign of the cross? Or how many look up to Heaven after scoring a goal. God helps them score goals, you see. But what happens when you miss an open goal? Work of Satan?

How many footballers (all good Catholic boys), as they come on to the field of play, touch the turf and make the sign of the cross? Or how many look up to Heaven after scoring a goal. God helps them score goals, you see. But what happens when you miss an open goal? Work of Satan?

Two left feet!

...or Fernando Torres?!

Edited by DocN

I find your denegration of religion to be un-called for and offensive. I'll have you know I found Jesus recently and he has helped change my life. Both he and Santa were having a beer along Walking Street and offered me sound spiritual advice regarding the company I was keeping.

• Like 1

I find your denegration of religion to be un-called for and offensive. I'll have you know I found Jesus recently and he has helped change my life. Both he and Santa were having a beer along Walking Street and offered me sound spiritual advice regarding the company I was keeping.

Funny thing is, i kind of believe in J myself, but am aware enough not to laugh at other peoples beliefs as a consequence.......

Agreed. I dam_n sure don't, though. None of that silly nonsense makes it into my day, so I am free to laugh (quietly to myself, of course). I tend to laugh at anyone (myself included when/if I do it) who believes in something they most certainly cannot reasonably explain.

My wife won't go to the bridge on the river kwai with me. She says that if you go to a place that lots of people died, then this will break are marriage. I then said, you do realise my mum's house is built on the exact place a hospital was (how many people die in hospitals rolleyes.gif ). I was born in the hospital and had visited people there before it closed 10 years later , so i know exactly where the building was.

She's been to my mum's house and we are still happy. She had no answer.