US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

Police chief says detained Lebanese man admits planning attack in Bangkok but aborted, no fertiliser for bombmaking found; will be deported without charge /MCOT

So apparently Thailand doesn't have any "conspiracy" laws. It can be worth 25 years in the UK, if proven. Don't know about anyone else, but I don't feel safer now, knowing this chap is going to be let go.

Thankfully though, we seem to have gotten through Childrens Day without any major incident, that was my biggest fear, when the warning was issued.

If America did not put out a warning perhaps this guy would have went ahead with his plans. Thank you America !!!

Maybe not, Thailand says there was no threat and they are releasing this guy without charge. Sounds like the whole thing was all bull poop and lies by the USA. If there was any real threat by this guy as America claimed (total lies) then surely the thais would not release him. I think all this has done is that Thailand have made the USA look just a silly and they have egg all over thier faces.

Total lies source please? Or did you make that one up? Oh, and where did you read that America claimed a particular individual was a threat? I must have missed it. I think rather that your entire post is a fabrication but I will keep an open mind waiting for your sources. If you can't substantiate your claims I suggest you apologize and state that your post is simply an opinion with no factual basis.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US Embassy did the right thing in issuing the warning. Their job is to inform US Citizens of current situations. They did that.

I made no particular changes in my plans, but I remained a little more alert. Had I planned to go out that evening, I would have done so. I would not, however, chosen some of the popular places. Lots of nice lower key (and less expensive places) that could use a little business.

When the it's going to flood--not going to flood--going to flood misinformation on, I was panicking--hoarding food and doing a number of irrational things.

The US Embassy did the right thing in issuing the warning. Their job is to inform US Citizens of current situations. They did that.

I made no particular changes in my plans, but I remained a little more alert. Had I planned to go out that evening, I would have done so. I would not, however, chosen some of the popular places. Lots of nice lower key (and less expensive places) that could use a little business.

When the it's going to flood--not going to flood--going to flood misinformation on, I was panicking--hoarding food and doing a number of irrational things.

I agree but my one complaint is that they didn't bother mentioning the Israel connection when I think they probably knew very well there is one. In other words, especially be warned about the few places that are highly identified with Jews and Israelis.

The article states that Australia has not changed statement of warning due to the US warning... Australia still only warns citizens about the insurgency in the south.

They problem in the southern provences involves ethnic Malays, not Thais. The insurgents want indepence from Thailand.

I ask once again how do you known these people are not here to help the South.

Do yo think the trouble in the South is due to UK US or Isreal

Interesting one of the leaders live in Sweden

Edited by harryfrompattaya

Exactly, the age old Southern Thailand conflict is totally off topic to this Hezbollah situation.

Please tell us how do you known are you a CIA agent or member of Hezbollah?

One can not rule it out You must be drinking as usually.

You forgot they are both Muslims and both want a free state for their people.

Exactly, the age old Southern Thailand conflict is totally off topic to this Hezbollah situation.

Please tell us how do you known are you a CIA agent or member of Hezbollah?

One can not rule it out You must be drinking as usually.

You forgot they are both Muslims and both want a free state for their people.

I retract the statement based on new information I wasn't aware of. Cheers.

I agree but my one complaint is that they didn't bother mentioning the Israel connection when I think they probably knew very well there is one. In other words, especially be warned about the few places that are highly identified with Jews and Israelis.

Not disagreeing with you but if you wanted to blow up Israelis would you really go to Bangkok. Are they that dumb? Maybe there is an easy connection for materials in the South but …..

And why wouldn't the Israeli embassy be the ones to blow the whistle.

Edited by kerryk

Not disagreeing with you but if you wanted to blow Israelis would you really go to Bangkok. Are they that dumb? Maybe there is an easy connection for materials in the South but …..

Soft targets! They already have terror cells here. Much easier here than Israel, the US, or Europe. Of course they would prefer to attack Brooklyn but they can't!

Not disagreeing with you but if you wanted to blow Israelis would you really go to Bangkok. Are they that dumb? Maybe there is an easy connection for materials in the South but …..

Soft targets! They already have terror cells here. Much easier here than Israel, the US, or Europe. Of course they would prefer to attack Brooklyn but they can't!

OK that makes sense but why wouldn't the Israeli embassy have been the ones to make the initial warning.

OK that makes sense but why wouldn't the Israeli embassy have been the ones to make the initial warning.

Check the news sources here if you are that obsessed with the timing details. The Israelis were DEFINITELY making noises to the Thai authorities. I don't know the exact time line. Be suspicious all you want. Iran has reason for a revenge attack now, they are OPENLY saying they are on the revenge path.

The article states that Australia has not changed statement of warning due to the US warning... Australia still only warns citizens about the insurgency in the south.

They problem in the southern provences involves ethnic Malays, not Thais. The insurgents want indepence from Thailand.

exactly, and apparently they are spreading from three provinces now to five provinces Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Songkhla and Satun provinces, which has been these groups modus operandi across the planet, will thailand allow itself to become another totalitarian theocracy?

Given that the muslim population in Thailand is relatively small, concentrated in the south and they are not ethnic Thais it seems unlikely that their aim is to take over the country, rather a desire for autonomy in the areas where they have historical links.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/13/thailand-arrests-hezbollah-suspect-terror-tipoff?newsfeed=true

Thailand's defence minister, Yuthasak Sasiprapha, said: "Thai officials had not intended to release the news at this time, since it could have an impact on touri$m and cause panic among citizens."

Reuters reported a Thai defence ministry source as saying that Israeli intelligence had contacted Thai officials on 22 December with information that two or three suspects could be planning an attack in Thailand. However, the individuals travelled to the south and left the country.

Check the news sources here if you are that obsessed with the timing details. The Israelis were DEFINITELY making noises to the Thai authorities. I don't know the exact time line. Be suspicious all you want. Iran has reason for a revenge attack now, they are OPENLY saying they are on the revenge path.

Maybe you or someone else has already said it but I just read that Isreal has issued a severe travel warning telling citizens not to go to Bangkok. That is quite a bit heavier than the US warning. This came after the three men who they originally warned the Thais about in December had fled South and left the country.

Yaakov Katz (JP) said, “Hezbollah is believed to be actively seeking revenge for the assassination of its military commander Imad Mughniyeh in 2008, and over the years there have been reports of a number of plots that were thwarted, including an attempt to bomb the Israeli Embassy in Azerbaijan.”

I am sure that soft George and that other Aussie guy have more up to date info than the Isreal Intellegence services but for me it is nice to know that the current gripes are about the assination of Imad Mughniyeh, Mughniyeh is thought to have killed more Americans than any other terrorist before 2001. He founded “"Committee for Elimination of Israel” so I don't think he cared much for Jews either. The Saudi's paid the CIA to kill him in 1985; they missed him but the explosion killed 62 other people and wounded 200 (Wiki).

Apparently the the Kidon unit of the Massad got him in 2008. When polled shortly afterwards, over 61 percent of Lebanese believed Hezbollah's retaliation for Imad Mugniyah's killing by Israel would be justified.

Maybe you or someone else has already said it but I just read that Isreal has issued a severe travel warning telling citizens not to go to Bangkok. That is quite a bit heavier than the US warning. This came after the three men who they originally warned the Thais about in December had fled South and left the country.

Yaakov Katz (JP) said, “Hezbollah is believed to be actively seeking revenge for the assassination of its military commander Imad Mughniyeh in 2008, and over the years there have been reports of a number of plots that were thwarted, including an attempt to bomb the Israeli Embassy in Azerbaijan.”

I am sure that soft George and that other Aussie guy have more up to date info than the Isreal Intellegence services but for me it is nice to know that the current gripes are about the assination of Imad Mughniyeh, Mughniyeh is thought to have killed more Americans than any other terrorist before 2001. He founded “"Committee for Elimination of Israel” so I don't think he cared much for Jews either. The Saudi's paid the CIA to kill him in 1985; they missed him but the explosion killed 62 other people and wounded 200 (Wiki).

Apparently the the Kidon unit of the Massad got him in 2008. When polled shortly afterwards, over 61 percent of Lebanese believed Hezbollah's retaliation for Imad Mugniyah's killing by Israel would be justified.

how long have you been pro slavery, pro wife beating, pro child brides, pro genocide of innocent people, pro forced over breeding, pro apartheid countries, pro world domination by totalitarian theocracy and against human rights, against freedom of speech, against equal rights, against the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

just curious

Edited by wxyz

how long have you been pro slavery, pro wife beating, pro child brides, pro genocide of innocent people, pro forced over breeding, pro apartheid countries, pro world domination by totalitarian theocracy and against human rights, against freedom of speech, against equal rights, against the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

just curious

Don't know how you got from my post to your accusations. Are you sure you mean me?

News on Channel 3 some 20 minutes ago, the US Embassy got a verbal bashing for 'releasing the info and not just talking to Thai government' and implicitly blamed for 'negative views' on the Kingdom - and this by an gov. official (missed the name).

News on Channel 3 some 20 minutes ago, the US Embassy got a verbal bashing for 'releasing the info and not just talking to Thai government' and implicitly blamed for 'negative views' on the Kingdom - and this by an gov. official (missed the name).

By a Thai official? If so, it's not surprising. These people only care about 'face' and 'tourism'. What's safety of people compared to money and face?

Well, the Thai government was 'talked to' by Israel on December 22 about it and nothing happened until virtually immediately after the US came out with the warning. I'm sure the Ambassador will take it 'under advisement'. I believe the Embassy has the right to try and inform and protect its citizens since the Thai government did nothing even knowing the facts in advance. What other channels does the US have to announce to its citizens of a possible danger other than the warden message - go door to door? Jeez.

• Like 1

By a Thai official? If so, it's not surprising. These people only care about 'face' and 'tourism'. What's safety of people compared to money and face?

That is weird. Do you think the Abhisit government would have been so crass? Because I don't.

Not disagreeing with you but if you wanted to blow up Israelis would you really go to Bangkok.

You could try Khao San...

Its very popular with Israeli tourists. Operations in Israel (thanks to the wall), the USA, and Europe are much, much more difficult. How many times does SOFT TARGETS need to be posted here?

That is weird. Do you think the Abhisit government would have been so crass? Because I don't.

The Red apologists would! Haha

Because the Israelis rarely show their hand when they have information of this nature. They use it to their advantage as apposed to broadcasting it for all to hear, including their enemies.

Because the Israelis rarely show their hand when they have information of this nature. They use it to their advantage as apposed to broadcasting it for all to hear, including their enemies.

Yeah, they're so inscrutable. rolleyes.gif

post-37101-0-20103100-1326651719_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing

"the people associated with any of these so-called Muslim terror groups that bomb and maim people are not representatives of that religion"

you must be saying the founder of this organization back in over 1400 years ago must not be "representative of that religion" then, considering he did all the same things as these terrorists groups, but you knew that already

If I really have to spell it out I will - anyone who uses violence to defend, promote or expand a religion that has peace and goodwill to others as a central tenet (which both Christianity and Islam do) is not and never can be a representative of that faith, regardless of what they might claim - they are just hypocrites, and criminal ones at that. And don't start quoting all that baloney about 'holy wars' and 'jihads' because they are deliberate misinterpretations of what the Q'ran (and other religious texts) actually preaches. I am an atheist but that doesn't stop me seeing and hating how religions are used and abused by evil people for their own ends. I include in this the US Government, European Governments, actually pretty much every government come to think of it, the Catholic Church and pretty much all organisations controlling their religion, along with all the 'terrorist' organisations - their manipulation of facts and religions to garner funds and support knows no bounds, and it is high time more people rejected them. They all use fear to try and control people.

i guess that explains the founder raping plundering and pillaging and calling it a religion, and why they practice all the rights, ceremonies and rituals of the hindu, not judaism nor christian, you need to do more research

btw, its members are only suppose to be peaceful to other members, not non members, but you knew that already

Edited by wxyz

And one more stroke against Thailand being the fun place we love to go.

Just the "normal" fear mongering the US like in order to justify their crazy martial law jurisdiction at home. Enjoy Thailand. I avoid gatherings of farang as a matter of course anyway ...

Nice to know there are skeptics, who view the status quo with suspicion. Unfortunately anyone really paying attention now knows that US govt is corrupt, and the fear-mongering is just a part of the gameplan to keep people depending on them.