What Will Happen To Your Health If You Just Eat Out?

tubehero

I stay in Bangkok for a 4-month assignment. As it is so easy and cheap to eat out, I am tempted not to bother cooking at home.

But how safe and healthy is the food in Bangkok? Apart from the salt issue (which is common in any restaurant in the world, anyway), is there a proper inspection or safety control in Thailand?

My sincere thanks,

No health & safety inspections in regards to food & restaurants as far as i know here in Thailand.

If your concerned though, just eat where many other people are eating that's a good sign to fresh food turnover.

Also between meals eat fresh fruit to boost your nutrition levels.

• Like 1

When we are in Bangkok we rarely cook and usually buy food from street stalls near our house. Sometimes we do go to restaurants, ranging from the cheap family run type to more 'up market' ones.

MK Suki is a favourite, too. Shame that our food hygiene regulations mean that they probably couldn't open in the UK.

In over 10 years I have only had problems twice.

Once after eating raw clams in an expensive seafood restaurant in Pattaya and again after finally being persuaded by the wife to try fermented eggs.

Bangkok restaurant food is not so likely to make you sick as it is to make you unhealthy. Thais fry everything, use a lot of meat and put MSG in nearly everything. Some people think MSG may cause cancer, but that has not been established. It gives some of us instant headaches, which is enough reason to avoid it. The WHO lists heart disease as the leading cause of death in Thailand, for which diet, smoking and lack of exercise are probably responsible.

• Like 1

My advice would be oddly to stick to good food court food.I often prefer the selection in the street, but the quality is lower and the hygene might be an issue for you (although for 3rd world street food is very very clean).

Yes, too much pork, too much fried, too much salt (msg) - but it is totally yummy and if you eat rice everyday meal you will feel great and lose weight.

hi, most street restaurants are fine.

if you happen across an establishment that you think that might be worth a try, look for a sign suspended from the ceiling around the cooking area.

if you see it, raise your arm and use your hand to wipe the spiders webs, bird shit and grease from it.

if it says underneath "good food, good taste" and theres a little blue guy on it, then its a winner.

this establishment has been checked by thai authorities and is suitable to eat in.

enjoy. sick.gif

Edited by thequietman

20kg? Must be eating in farang joints and not really caring much about your weight. I am heaviest I have been in years but still only 10kg above my weight in secondary school and my excercise is limited to walking in BKK and swimming when we go camping/snorkeling in the south for weeks on end.

Fact is, Thais eat out. Not only is everyone on the go but most flats don't even have kitchens.

How can you gain weight in Asia?!

The WHO lists heart disease as the leading cause of death in Thailand, for which diet, smoking and lack of exercise are probably responsible.

Wouldn't getting old be more responsible as a leading cause of death, not only in Thailand but worldwide?

Hi, thank you, everyone for your kind information and advice. I feel I gain more knowledge thanks to your experience. Perhaps I should stick to food courts and only try street food sometimes. I

t is amazing that at food courts, even in expensive shopping centers, the price is very reasonable. I feel sad and ashamed for those shopping centers in my London: you have to pay a considerable amount for mediocre food. Perhaps if you go to Selfridges and Harrods, the food can be excellent, but then it is very expensive, while you can have the same thing at cheaper price in Bangkok.

I am very intrigued by one comment which implies that we cannot gain weight while eating in Thailand, and Asia generally.

Does it mean that Thai cuisine cannot make you gain weight? Why is it like that?

Thank you.

No health & safety inspections in regards to food & restaurants as far as i know here in Thailand.

If your concerned though, just eat where many other people are eating that's a good sign to fresh food turnover.

Also between meals eat fresh fruit to boost your nutrition levels.

I eat out every meal.

I'm just careful what I eat.

Variety and Vitamins, no alcohol, smoking or drugs - you can't go wrong - unless you have a genetic symptom :(

Oh yes, and a good night's sleep wai.gif

Hi, thank you, everyone for your kind information and advice. I feel I gain more knowledge thanks to your experience. Perhaps I should stick to food courts and only try street food sometimes. I

t is amazing that at food courts, even in expensive shopping centers, the price is very reasonable. I feel sad and ashamed for those shopping centers in my London: you have to pay a considerable amount for mediocre food. Perhaps if you go to Selfridges and Harrods, the food can be excellent, but then it is very expensive, while you can have the same thing at cheaper price in Bangkok.

I am very intrigued by one comment which implies that we cannot gain weight while eating in Thailand, and Asia generally.

Does it mean that Thai cuisine cannot make you gain weight? Why is it like that?

Thank you.

One reason may be because Asians generally drink water with a meal and the meal is not always fried.

When I came to live in Thailand in 2008 I weighed 106 kilos. Nine months later my weight was down to 72 kilos, 3 kilos below my 'ideal weight' for height. I didn't do anything in particular to achieve this, just ate mostly non-fried Thai food. Still smoked and drank beer, took some exercise but not much and the weight just fell off. Also drank three to four times as much water than in UK.

Since i've been back in the UK my weight has gone back up to 80 kilos but I still eat more or less a Thai diet: plenty of vegetables, steamed rice, fish and fruit with little red meat. It feels great.

20kg? Must be eating in farang joints and not really caring much about your weight. I am heaviest I have been in years but still only 10kg above my weight in secondary school and my

when we go camping/snorkeling in the south for weeks on end.

Fact is, Thais eat out. Not only is everyone on the go but most flats don't even have kitchens.

That kaao man gai must be real healthy.

"excercise is limited to walking in BKK and swimming"

Probably more exercise than most, many are too lazy to walk to the end of the soi, pay a motorcycle taxi 10 baht to get there.

Have you seen the amount of porkers walking the streets these days, have a look at the amount of teens and people in their twenties, never saw that 20 years ago.

• Like 2

When I came to live in Thailand in 2008 I weighed 106 kilos. Nine months later my weight was down to 72 kilos, 3 kilos below my 'ideal weight' for height. I didn't do anything in particular to achieve this, just ate mostly non-fried Thai food. Still smoked and drank beer, took some exercise but not much and the weight just fell off. Also drank three to four times as much water than in UK.

Since i've been back in the UK my weight has gone back up to 80 kilos but I still eat more or less a Thai diet: plenty of vegetables, steamed rice, fish and fruit with little red meat. It feels great.

106kg >>> 72kg is great!

20kg? Must be eating in farang joints and not really caring much about your weight. I am heaviest I have been in years but still only 10kg above my weight in secondary school and my

when we go camping/snorkeling in the south for weeks on end.

That kaao man gai must be real healthy.

"excercise is limited to walking in BKK and swimming"

Probably more exercise than most, many are too lazy to walk to the end of the soi, pay a motorcycle taxi 10 baht to get there.

Have you seen the amount of porkers walking the streets these days, have a look at the amount of teens and people in their twenties, never saw that 20 years ago.

This happens when adopting outside Western ways. The culprit....

Far more prevalent amongst city folk, as well.

I love Thai food and eat it every day - exclusively. The things that will make you fat are minimal. Certainly curries or Tom Yam made with kathit (coconut milk) and fried food. Another trick to keep ones weight down is to eat half the rice.

I love fried food, you just have to balance it. So one meal a soup, next fried X, next green vegetables...and better if you have 2-3 people eating you can eat a great balanced meal.

Most farang dont go near most Thai/Lao soups but they are very good for you.

Food court is only option for you becasue you are new to the food although I do know a few places you can get good food. Most FCs food is IMO not so good and a bit overpriced (as it is served in a/c and clean envirionment as opposed to the street).

Street food is most delicious but they often use lowest grades of everything. Another option is the low end restauarant, prices are at or near street level.

Eat noodles in the morning or have a look at 711 for some sweet breads.

20kg? Must be eating in farang joints and not really caring much about your weight. I am heaviest I have been in years but still only 10kg above my weight in secondary school and my excercise is limited to walking in BKK and swimming when we go camping/snorkeling in the south for weeks on end.

Buy a big fridge and keep it stocked.

• Like 1

The WHO lists heart disease as the leading cause of death in Thailand, for which diet, smoking and lack of exercise are probably responsible.

Wouldn't getting old be more responsible as a leading cause of death, not only in Thailand but worldwide?

Getting old is not an identified cause of death by statisticians. You get old and then you get sick and you die of the sickness. The population of Thailand as a whole is getting older, but the bulge in the population has not yet reached old age.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/th-thailand/Age-_distribution

When we are in Bangkok we rarely cook and usually buy food from street stalls near our house. Sometimes we do go to restaurants, ranging from the cheap family run type to more 'up market' ones.

MK Suki is a favourite, too. Shame that our food hygiene regulations mean that they probably couldn't open in the UK.

In over 10 years I have only had problems twice.

Once after eating raw clams in an expensive seafood restaurant in Pattaya and again after finally being persuaded by the wife to try fermented eggs.

I love the duck in MK and Panda. I could eat it everyday.

Even old people die of "something"

I just read an interview with John Cleese where he pointed out that A Fish Called Wanda was made 25 yrs ago. Does that mean I'm...

Thank you.

Ration the amount of fried food you eat, and foods containing coconut oil. Also be aware that Thais love adding sugar to unlikely dishes such as Tom Yam Goong. My staple diet is steamed fish, delicious and kinda free from the things that will put weight on you. I say kinda free because you can never be too sure of the calorie content of the sauces they serve to you with the fish.

It is believed that spicy food makes your metabolism more effective so to speak, apparently your metabolism runs at a higher rate for up to three hours after a meal. That can only be helpful, but on the whole just get used to making the same choices you would back home, dont eat fried food every day and be careful with the curries and anything else that includes coconut milk.

ps I havent had any problem with food poisoning while here, but bring some Immodium with you as the change of diet can catch you out in the first few days you are here.

I've lived in Bangkok for 4 years and I've never eaten in .... my cooker has never been used.

Street food - eat what you can see cooked in front of you, choose the stalls that keep fresh food on ice and cook over charcoal or gas.

Restaurants - eat at the busy ones.

In Bangkok you are never more than arms length away from great food, why eat in (unless you have a live-in Thai chef)