India asks BBC to apologize for 'offensive' comments on Top Gear

News_Editor

They referred to it as a 'documentary'. Hardly, it's just light hearted entertainmnent and should be taken that way.

The did an episode about oz, made all sorts of disparaging remarks, it was great. Why can't people laugh at themselves and their country's often silly idiosyncracies.

They referred to it as a 'documentary'. Hardly, it's just light hearted entertainmnent and should be taken that way.

The did an episode about oz, made all sorts of disparaging remarks, it was great. Why can't people laugh at themselves and their country's often silly idiosyncracies.

Because some people don't like the country. Some people can't be objective. Some people make up all sorts of heinous motives behind a simple joke. Some people think that the actions of a few represent the whole.

I probably wouldn't have even known about the 'India Special' had the Indian governmant not made a fuss, but I am going to seek it out and watch it now.

People who complain about tv programmes etc they find offensive usually cause whatever they were complaining about to be viewed far more than had they said nothing.

The man is an idiot. Dies anyone recall the description of a truck driver in which he said it seemed an easy job, drive for a few hours, murder a prostitute and drive some more, a reference to hookers who had been killed by truckies. I've never watched his program and never will. It's aimed at single figure IQ's and that's not me.

Maybe the High Commissioner didn't like the terrifying sequence on the dual carriageway; or Clarkeson pointing out the appalling toll on India's roads: 175,000 per annum. That's not deaths and injuries; just deaths!

One moment of commentary; "Next morning we woke up and it was like Switzerland. Only warmer; and higher; and much better in every way." When will the irate letter from the Swiss ambassador be dropping on the Beeb's doormat?

Don't know if it will play outside the UK, but here's the link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b018ydx6/

If you go on uknova torrent downloads, you can download it there.

The man is an idiot. Dies anyone recall the description of a truck driver in which he said it seemed an easy job, drive for a few hours, murder a prostitute and drive some more, a reference to hookers who had been killed by truckies. I've never watched his program and never will. It's aimed at single figure IQ's and that's not me.

Oh good grief. It's called black humour and is used to take very scary uncomfortable events and make them less terrifying so that people need not live in fear. it's called laughing at the spectre of doom. if you are offended by such humour, then please do not read the jokes from WWII. During the London blitz there were some very off colour jokes. There is even a collection of humour from the concentration camps. It is what people say and do to cope with events that are evil and beyond their control, so as to try and stay sane.

• Like 1

Hilarious!

Almost as fun as your joke in the last sentence.

It's a shame, the Germans can't help themselves..

totster biggrin.png

Edited by Totster

Clarkson for PM....one of the few public figures about who is not afraid to call a spade, a spade.....clap2.gif

dont know why India, US etc etc all get upset with his comments....he is taking the p*ss....and if they cant see that then they dont understand the humour

I thought it a touch unreasonable to comment as I had when I hadn't seen an episode, and based my judgement on the 'killing prostitutes' quip.

It was on TV this evening so I watched five minutes, and it's worse than I could have ever thought. 'Infantile' would be about right, and it seems I'm in the midst of single figure IQ's and infantile senses of humour?? Oh well, it could be worse.....but how??

I thought it a touch unreasonable to comment as I had when I hadn't seen an episode, and based my judgement on the 'killing prostitutes' quip.

It was on TV this evening so I watched five minutes, and it's worse than I could have ever thought. 'Infantile' would be about right, and it seems I'm in the midst of single figure IQ's and infantile senses of humour?? Oh well, it could be worse.....but how??

Perhaps if people went on a rampage murdering and burning down embassies. biggrin.png Funnily enough some of your 'infantile single figure IQ' posters seem to me to be amongst the most articulate you will find on Thaivisa.

• Like 1

The man is an idiot. Does anyone recall the description of a truck driver in which he said it seemed an easy job, drive for a few hours, murder a prostitute and drive some more, a reference to hookers who had been killed by truckies. I've never watched his program and never will. It's aimed at single figure IQ's and that's not me.

Hilarious!

Almost as fun as your joke in the last sentence.

I agree, it was something of a joke to comment when I hadn't watched, but that's now fixed.

and you came to this conclusion after only watching 5 minutes ?...WOW...Top Gear is not a serious documentry type program, its entertainment....big boys playing with big toys, the humour is sarcastic and is meant to be infantile, and only people from the UK would understand the vast majority of the humour and the quips anyway....

Will say it again Clarkson for PM

I have only started watching this since BBC came back to true, but I gather that the show's culture is to make fun of about everyone, guests, cars, and hosts alike. Last night's episode where they drove drunks back from the bars in their own cars was pretty funny, and a good example of their light-hearted abuse.

If this is what the show is, so be it. If it offends, don't watch it. If you like that sort of humor (and since I watch Tosh.O, I guess you can assume I can find this type of humor funny), then watch the show. Pretty simple.

Have a watch of the Vietnam special which was broadcast some time ago, IMO, funny and well worth watching. Enjoy.

http://www.topgear.c...os/vietnam-pt-1

Part 2.....

Edited by MB1

I have only started watching this since BBC came back to true, but I gather that the show's culture is to make fun of about everyone, guests, cars, and hosts alike. Last night's episode where they drove drunks back from the bars in their own cars was pretty funny, and a good example of their light-hearted abuse.

If this is what the show is, so be it. If it offends, don't watch it. If you like that sort of humor (and since I watch Tosh.O, I guess you can assume I can find this type of humor funny), then watch the show. Pretty simple.

Have a watch of the Vietnam special which was broadcast some time ago, IMO, funny and well worth watching. Enjoy.

http://www.topgear.c...os/vietnam-pt-1

The Vietnam special was their best IMO

totster :D

+1 but if you or we said that in the uk we would probably be committing some politically correct offence...

Also their Government has just insultes all women in Estonia seeking visas...google it ....worth a good laugh...

If people are getting bent out of shape on TV about Clarkson's comments on Top Gear, would suggest then that they dont read any of his articles or books, as his comments are far more scathing and politcally incorrect.

I would suggest personages who find Clarkson/Top Gear offense, must have funny beards, wear anoraks and loiter outside school gates....biggrin.png

Is this an appropriate time to mention that I stepped in human poop at the Delhi train station on my way to the Taj Mahal?

Never happened to me at Paddington station.

The only place where a begger child with what appeared to be smallpox or some sort of eruptive skin disease approached my car whilst stopped at a traffic light was in India.

Am I politically incorrect to mention this?

I am not sure, GK, were you wearing regular shoes or did you have flip-flops on?

As someone involved in the science & medical field, I am a little disappointed you can't make a definitive diagnosis, but then again maybe science has yet to discover some of the diseases lurking around the place.

Oops, now I am not being PC either.

Is this an appropriate time to mention that I stepped in human poop at the Delhi train station on my way to the Taj Mahal?

Never happened to me at Paddington station.

The only place where a begger child with what appeared to be smallpox or some sort of eruptive skin disease approached my car whilst stopped at a traffic light was in India.

Am I politically incorrect to mention this?

I fear to ask, but how do you know it (the poop) was from a human, unless of course you saw it being laid, but then again you would then surely have taken evasive action.

SD, I can assure you of one thing, you do know the difference between human poop and, well...say cow poop. Some people can even tell the difference between their own poop and other people's poop. Some people even think their poop doesn't stink.

When you moderate a forum, one thing you do know a lot about, it's poop.

SD, I can assure you of one thing, you do know the difference between human poop and, well...say cow poop. Some people can even tell the difference between their own poop and other people's poop. Some people even think their poop doesn't stink.

When you moderate a forum, one thing you do know a lot about, it's poop.

and at this juncture a very old joke from Billy Connelly on the subject of poop......

People say dogs are stupid....but how many dogs have you ever seen who have stood in human sh*t ?

Your spelling and punctuation would suggest otherwise...

Your right, if you are going to be offended, do not watch, British humour is part of our culture, if you do not like it, or anything else about our culture, go home, no one is forcing you to stay!

Does this 'law' apply ONLY to foreigners in Britain?

Why do many foreigners live in Thailand (in fact in India too) for decades and keep on complaining about almost everything?

I just cannot understand this logic.

wacko.png

Clarkson for PM....one of the few public figures about who is not afraid to call a spade, a spade.....clap2.gif

dont know why India, US etc etc all get upset with his comments....he is taking the p*ss....and if they cant see that then they dont understand the humour

If not PM, then at least mayor of london, he will reverse the low emmision zone charge within the M25