Nice Thai Policemen - Your Stories

draftvader

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in Udon Thani a couple of years ago when I got picked up for driving in the wrong lane, he asked for my lisence which was Australian.

He told me next time you come to Thailand make sure you have international lisence and just waved me on, no interest in any fine he just seemed like a good bloke.

I am coming again later this year and one of the things to do yet is get my International lisence.

I have only paid coffee money once in my times in LOS

We were having a big argument in the car with my gf because somehow I didn't pay attention to her indication, I missed a u-turn and we were now heading in the wrong direction. I made a u-turn a few km later at a place where we were not supposed to u-turn and of course there was a policeman who stopped us right away.

I opened the window to talk to the policeman, that was when my gf who was boiling in her seat until now just exploded. She started shouting in the car to the policeman that it was not her fault, that I was total idiot, I never pay attention to what she says, he should fine me, send me to jail, she was so tired of me, she was trying her best to do everything right but I was so stupid and studborn ... I still remember the look on the face of the policeman wondering what was wrong with us. The only thing he could say was "mai pen rai ... mai pen rai ... mai pen rai ... "

When my gf started to cool down a little bit, he just said it was ok, he understands the problem, that we should pay more attention in the future and let us go. Actually he looked quite relieved when he saw us leaving probably thinking he was not paid enough to have to handle this kind of crazy couple

• Like 2

We were having a big argument in the car with my gf because somehow I didn't pay attention to her indication, I missed a u-turn and we were now heading in the wrong direction. I made a u-turn a few km later at a place where we were not supposed to u-turn and of course there was a policeman who stopped us right away.

I opened the window to talk to the policeman, that was when my gf who was boiling in her seat until now just exploded. She started shouting in the car to the policeman that it was not her fault, that I was total idiot, I never pay attention to what she says, he should fine me, send me to jail, she was so tired of me, she was trying her best to do everything right but I was so stupid and studborn ... I still remember the look on the face of the policeman wondering what was wrong with us. The only thing he could say was "mai pen rai ... mai pen rai ... mai pen rai ... "

When my gf started to cool down a little bit, he just said it was ok, he understands the problem, that we should pay more attention in the future and let us go. Actually he looked quite relieved when he saw us leaving probably thinking he was not paid enough to have to handle this kind of crazy couple

laugh.png Makes one kind of feel sorry for the policeman... Are you still with this girlfriend?

Was once stopped by a policeman while speeding/flying across the countryside from Udon to Sakhon Nakhorn. He just asked me to slow down.

While having dinner with her friend at a restaurant in Udon (I was not there), my then gf was being hassled by a drunk Thai guy who snatched her phone from her. She got in a punch up with the guy trying to get it back. When the police arrived they arrested him and took him away.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Is it down to attitude in many cases?

On my way North driving the car in the days before I realised you did not have to stop for those policemen waving you to the side of the road to make some tea money, I stopped. I had been speeding, doing about 140 on what was a quiet stretch of road. When the policeman said I had been speeding and I replied, with a grin on my face, 'Nit noi.' The policeman burst out laughing. We had a bit of banter in English and he let me off with 100 Baht fine, certainly less than I previously paid.

That is why I do wonder if a lot of interaction between us and the BiB is down to attitude. Ours and theirs. If we have a bad attitude towards them to begin with and it shows, surely they will react to that. Maybe the officer has had a bad day too. They get nagged by wives etc too.

On my various interactions with the BiB during the last 6 years I have never met one with a bad attitude yet. A smile and civility can go a long way and I think that is generally reciprocated.

We do know there are a lot of the BiB out there who want tea money and very few people like policemen to interfere with our daily lives until we need them in some emergency or other. So a bit of respect each way can do nothing but good.

• Like 2

laugh.png Makes one kind of feel sorry for the policeman... Are you still with this girlfriend?

Yes

But since we bought a GPS smile.png

Was once stopped by a policeman while speeding/flying across the countryside from Udon to Sakhon Nakhorn. He just asked me to slow down.

While having dinner with her friend at a restaurant in Udon (I was not there), my then gf was being hassled by a drunk Thai guy who snatched her phone from her. She got in a punch up with the guy trying to get it back. When the police arrived they arrested him and took him away.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Reminds me of a couple of similar occasions; one just after leaving the hills on 304 and another on 226. On each occasion they told me that over 100kph was too much, but OK if keeping between 90-95! Just asked us where we were going, then sent us on our way, no demands.

Incidentally, after 20 years of extensive driving throughout Thailand, I have never been targeted as a farang for tea money.

Is it down to attitude in many cases?

On my way North driving the car in the days before I realised you did not have to stop for those policemen waving you to the side of the road to make some tea money, I stopped. I had been speeding, doing about 140 on what was a quiet stretch of road. When the policeman said I had been speeding and I replied, with a grin on my face, 'Nit noi.' The policeman burst out laughing. We had a bit of banter in English and he let me off with 100 Baht fine, certainly less than I previously paid.

That is why I do wonder if a lot of interaction between us and the BiB is down to attitude. Ours and theirs. If we have a bad attitude towards them to begin with and it shows, surely they will react to that. Maybe the officer has had a bad day too. They get nagged by wives etc too.

On my various interactions with the BiB during the last 6 years I have never met one with a bad attitude yet. A smile and civility can go a long way and I think that is generally reciprocated.

We do know there are a lot of the BiB out there who want tea money and very few people like policemen to interfere with our daily lives until we need them in some emergency or other. So a bit of respect each way can do nothing but good.

Yes, good post. Lose the bad attitude...and lose the hassle. Most of the time it works. Or of course put in biblical terms....... 'do unto others....' etc.

• Like 1

One cop was always waiting at the main road for our trucks turning out of our factory. Every day without fail to the stage where I was sure he would just put on his uniform for ten minutes, get our cash and toddle off home again.

The tickets were for varied offenses; speeding, driving on the overtaking lane, non-usage of indicators etc . . . and all these infractions happened ten metres after the junction we turned into . . .

Nice policeman stories? Nah, I do believe they are simply scum . . . scum with a smile, however

This is gonna be a short blog !

Two pages in as many days. Forty-three posts. Oh ye of little faith. whistling.gif

I have driven here for 9 years and never paid a satang of tea money.

One local policeman spent 2 hours with me and a student-interpreter trying to help me complete a police report regarding a stolen credit card. It was mentally exhausting work for all of us because the circumstances and report were complicated. After the exercise in spoken and written communication, I tried to offer the young policeman 200 baht for his friendly help. He wouldn't take it.

Another time, a policemen brought my lost and found wallet to my home on his motorbike, and wouldn't take reward money.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

One cop was always waiting at the main road for our trucks turning out of our factory. Every day without fail to the stage where I was sure he would just put on his uniform for ten minutes, get our cash and toddle off home again.

The tickets were for varied offenses; speeding, driving on the overtaking lane, non-usage of indicators etc . . . and all these infractions happened ten metres after the junction we turned into . . .

Nice policeman stories? Nah, I do believe they are simply scum . . . scum with a smile, however

With so many other threads out there for this opinion why didn't you put this there? We have had plenty of positive stories. As I said in the original post I have also been fined on many occassions for stupid rules that would put me in danger, if I were to follow them, however this thread was about those nice times that this didn't happen. I, for one, am glad to see the positive response and delighted that this thread is STILL page 1 and STILL attracting interest after 2 days.

Please take your negativity to one of the numerous threads encouraging that kind of attitude (and you'll probably find me posting there too).

• Like 1

In your haste to dismiss, at length, my post you obviously failed to read the last two words. That's positive, but if you revel in your role as thread police then by all means report it

I did read them. Just felt like you were sugaring the pill.

Like a previous poster, I have never had 'tea money' requested by the police.

I've been stopped fairly often by the police at Chalong Circle (god knows why - they just stop as many as possible on scooters to check their license and, presumably tax cert etc.), but have then always been waved away.

Presumably one has to be actually breaking the law before 'tea money' is requested?

• Like 1

sunday morning more than a year ago on Sukhumvit Pattaya (within city limits) some clown in a Fortuner was so close to my tail that i couldn't see his number plate but his flashing lights. we drove already 100 (20km/h above speed limit). annoyed i pushed the pedal to the metal to humble him with 415 horsepowers. after one km or two i had to hit the brakes because a policeman signalled me to stop. so i stopped checked my wallet for cash wondering 'how much' it will be and had my license ready. what happened was:

-good morning Papa. how long you live in Thailand?

-six years.

-your car i don't know.

-only a fistful in Thailand.

-can see motor?

-of course.

getting out, opening hood and greeting a second officer who came walking from a little distance. officers look into engine compartment.

-how many Papa?

-more than si roy.

-how many (making up and down gesture) Papa?

-just count... song, si, hok, bat, sip, sip song

-ah Papa you lucky. have nice day.

-thank you gentlemen, same same you.

• Like 2

In your haste to dismiss, at length, my post you obviously failed to read the last two words. That's positive, but if you revel in your role as thread police then by all means report it

The whole thrust of your Post was totally negative and cannot be redeemed simply by claiming that the "last two words (were) positive".

Wrong Thread, wrong attitude generally.

Patrick

The whole thrust of your Post was totally negative and cannot be redeemed simply by claiming that the "last two words (were) positive".

Wrong Thread, wrong attitude generally.

Patrick

I suppose Sing-Sling was lucky that he has the tolerance and humour not to be wound up by such events.

I'd have probably got right baitey, and probably carried the event with me like a cancer for years afterwards. I'd have been like the Ancient Mariner, telling my tale of woe to everyone who had the misfortune to cross my path, heedless of their feelings.

We're lucky SS is not like that, and can see the funny side

SC

EDIT:

And I think the coppers do a pretty good job directing traffic in the rush hours, as well. I remember when they were all off to cover some protest, the traffic was diabolical. And I also appreciated the officer of the law who enforced discipline at the On Nut taxi queue. We should appreciate the things that we should be able to take for granted, when we can.

Edited by StreetCowboy

A friend of mine was driving home on his motorbike after closing his bar in Patong, in the karaoke soi he got hit by a ladyboy on a motorbike driving against traffic, some hours later he woke up in the hospital with his 20k+ earnings of the day, wallet and his fairly heavy gold necklace on the table by the bed, and a policeman waiting to tell him that the ladyboy was arrested and would have to pay the hospital bill.

I havent bothered to get a international drivers licence, instead i've showed my swedish licence when stopped in check points and have never been fined for it.

• Like 1

given your comments elsewhere on length of membership and how it relates to attitude, i would have to say yours is <deleted>.

Edited by nocturn

Like a previous poster, I have never had 'tea money' requested by the police.

I've been stopped fairly often by the police at Chalong Circle (god knows why - they just stop as many as possible on scooters to check their license and, presumably tax cert etc.), but have then always been waved away.

Presumably one has to be actually breaking the law before 'tea money' is requested?

absolutely incorrect - they will invent a crime if none is committed - it has happened to me on a number of occasions in bkk - the most popular being "your front wheel crossed the line after the red light was showing" - others include "going to fast", "dangerous driving" and the mysterious "incorrect wearing of helmet"....

they are looking for easy money from thai drivers many of whom are uninsured, unlicensed or who's vehicles have some defect (faulty lights, no number plate etc).

the reason they wave on a farang with legit papers etc. is that experience tells them that most farangs know their rights and will not stand for their slimy shakedowns, whereas thais will be frightened of the uniform and pay up....

I have to say that, on the whole, I am starting to feel like there might actually be a bunch of Farang I'd enjoy having a drink with. Thanks guys, keep them coming.

We're trying to lure you into a false sense of security, then we'll surround you in Carrefour Food Court and make fun of you, and feed you to the thesaurus.

page__view__findpost__p__4923636

SC

EDIT: Run! Its the Offtopicpolice!

When leaving the bank, noticed a policman at a noodle shop, as I was exiting bank parking lot onto a one way street a motorbike with 3 riders came the wrong way, went into slide when they noticed me approaching. I stopped to see if they were ok, driver jumped up, unhurt, demanding I pay him 10,000 baht. Told him I had to go into bank, went to policeman (driver followed me to ensure I would not run away and leave him my truck, I reckon) policeman came to inspect the scene. The policeman looked at position of vehicles, questioned driver/passengers and then asked me for details.

He smiled, pulled out ticket book and let me watch him write up a ticket for no license nor helmet, traveling wrong way and too many on bike. He then smiled again, waved to me and said have a nice day.

That's a nice one! smile.png

I have to say, really nice thread. A few years ago my mother was in Bangkok and wanted to go to JJ market. I was busy that day so gave her directions (very easy by BTS). On the way back, coming out the market, she got a bit lost in finding her way to Mo Chit BTS. She decided to ask a policeman and he asked her to get on the back of his motorbike and took her to the station. She even asked the policeman who was standing talking to him if he would take a photo of her on the bike which he did!

Edited by silverb
  • Like 1

I have to say, really nice thread. A few years ago my mother was in Bangkok and wanted to go to JJ market. I was busy that day so gave her directions (very easy by BTS). On the way back, coming out the market, she got a bit lost in finding her way to Mo Chit BTS. She decided to ask a policeman and he asked her to get on the back of his motorbike and took her to the station. She even asked the policeman who was standing talking to him if he would take a photo of her on the bike which he did!

Thank you. It is starting to feel very nice in here. Keep them coming.

--EDIT--

Oh...and welcome to ThaiVisa

Edited by draftvader