Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

It is not so hard to understand if looked at....

If your country is dependent to some degree for income via tourism....Then some

declaration is made that impacts that income without enough facts based in reality...

Well you too may be scrambling to clear up the misconception that is causing a loss of income.

Think not?

Lets say someone calls in your name, or your banks name or your employers name in to X authorities saying they know it is linked to terror & are plotting something.....

Now your government shuts your bank accounts, ATM's, job,bank, business etc. Until they can suss out if it is true.

You meanwhile are fine with that temporary loss of income because better safe than sorry?

Or instead would you be upset that they did not have more concrete info/facts nor did they ever contact you first to

ask any questions?

Yeah it cuts both ways

Of course everyone likes to be safe & wants warnings of impending doom.

But at the same time have some facts & proofs before causing others grief/loss of income & yes even causing yourself

loss of credibility.

How many *possible* attacks have been reported in the last year?

If & when one actually occurs there sadly will be many who think it is another false alarm

"

How many *possible* attacks have been reported in the last year?"

How many terrorists warning were issued by the US Embassy here? I can't seem to recall the last time this happened. This is not something they do on a weekly basis. It happens rarely and as such, the threat has to be credible.

specialy cause you cant seem to recall this , make it strange, & i'm sure fake calls & alerts on website U.S. Embassy have more than enough-just who will say about it(just odinary 911 have many fake calls from all types of idiots ,& how many people idiots & not, have a temptation to make stupid things for it (of course stupid)when 3 times every year -cant get US visa -with just -"because '' & what made me mad -before u pay comission 100$!!!!!!!just for to hear NO ,& why?-Just becausehit-the-fan.gif want to notice I'm not vs U.S. & feel myself for to give blah about cause same way critical ,can speak about my Faterland

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orac Posted:

may think that the US embassy warning US citizens about specific terrorist threats in Thailand should not concern the Thai government, a country that classes itself as a tourist destination, but I choose to disagree.

The Thai government can be concerned or not concerned, that is their right. Brits, Aussies, Albanians, Athabascan’s and Ainu, can be concerned, and flap their mouths so hard they bust a tongue, that is their right and business. However the US government is issuing this as a service to their citizens and that most definitely is their business and they are not going to consult with somebody regarding how it affects tourism and international PR.

Maybe in a kinder gentler world they might, or might have, but not today and not now.

I partially agree with you regarding the effects on tourism and international PR, however, my concern about the assumed lack of consultation is in the context of an international 'war on terrorism' and the cooperation between international law enforcement agencies that is vital to it.

According to the information released so far there were at least three lebanese/swedish terrorists at large in Thailand and there was a significant amount of planning and preparation that had gone on - the warehouse that was searched was rented over 2 years ago. The quick arrest of one of the terrorists suggest that the Thai authorities were making some headway into shutting down this terrorist cell but I would assume that in the light of the warning the remaining terrorists have now gone to ground to strike another day or indeed moved on to plan B since the warning is still in place.

Orac, I think you give the Thai authorities the benefit of the doubt here, which is certainly a personal choice.

The truth is that we, the general public, simply do not know what caused the disjointed responses by the US, Israelis and Thais. We will likely never know. We can choose the give the benefit of the doubt to any particular country, but it would just be a guess. The issue here with most of us is that we have less faith in the Thai authorities than we do in the US or Israeli authorities, so we are making what we believe to be educated guesses against the Thais.

It's unfortunate that we have to guess, but that's just the way it is, and this is where reputation and perception come in to 'muddy the waters' so-to-speak.

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

Seems you speak English , your welcome.dry.png

But now with the finding of those bomb-making ingredients, we know that a real threat was in the air... the very same ingredients which killed 202 innocent souls in Bali..... well done America US... Thank you CIA for being so alert.. and God Bless America...

• Like 1

JT.

I lived in Costa Rica for many years. car bombings, assinations you name it. I suppose it depends on you definition of what constitutes a terroist action. I can tell you many many people live in terror there. I can think of no country that is exempt.

What you mentioned, targeted assassinations for specific cause directed at specific individuals, obviously aren't terrorism.

Still scares the crap out of you when one of those car bombs goes off, terrifying!!

Yeah, if that's not "terrorism," then you can't call the southern insurgency "terrorism" either.

Or is one terrorism because it involves Muslims and the other isn't because it involves Catholics?

JT.

I lived in Costa Rica for many years. car bombings, assinations you name it. I suppose it depends on you definition of what constitutes a terroist action. I can tell you many many people live in terror there. I can think of no country that is exempt.

What you mentioned, targeted assassinations for specific cause directed at specific individuals, obviously aren't terrorism.

Still scares the crap out of you when one of those car bombs goes off, terrifying!!

Yeah, if that's not "terrorism," then you can't call the southern insurgency "terrorism" either.

Or is one terrorism because it involves Muslims and the other isn't because it involves Catholics?

Please stop with the misleading information. The southern Thai Muslim insurgents have indeed committed a number of acts of terrorism -- bombs at shopping malls, shooting up Buddhist schools, etc. Not saying a car bomb targeting a specific enemy, such as in a Mafia hit is something to be condoned, but it doesn't meet the standard definition of terrorism. Also, don't even get started with the if it involves Catholics BS. Totally not relevant, it's just a cheap flame and you aren't fooling anyone, you know it. Edited by Jingthing

Rest what case? That the warning was OK... yeah, I already agreed with you. I probably shouldn't have replied to your post since I thought your term "anti-American" related to views on foreign policy... but for you "anit-American" meant grievances toward the US Embassy, which I don't have.

However, you're wrong to think that the Thais did nothing until the US warning. They just didn't do anything publicly. Not sure why you think that nothing occurs unless you know about it.

I still don't get the complaining to the embassy part LOL... why would anyone complain to the US Embassy for a terrorist action in another country by a group from another country. I guess you and I think differently... I don't look for scapegoats whenever something goes wrong.

there was a bomb

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

Chemicals that might be used to make a bomb is not the same as a bomb. Nothing happened.

I live pretty close to Mahachai yet I haven't heard any explosions...

Rest what case? That the warning was OK... yeah, I already agreed with you. I probably shouldn't have replied to your post since I thought your term "anti-American" related to views on foreign policy... but for you "anit-American" meant grievances toward the US Embassy, which I don't have.

However, you're wrong to think that the Thais did nothing until the US warning. They just didn't do anything publicly. Not sure why you think that nothing occurs unless you know about it.

I still don't get the complaining to the embassy part LOL... why would anyone complain to the US Embassy for a terrorist action in another country by a group from another country. I guess you and I think differently... I don't look for scapegoats whenever something goes wrong.

there was a bomb

Chemicals that might be used to make a bomb is not the same as a bomb. Nothing happened.

You don't look for toilet paper AFTER you take a crap. Similarly, if you wait till the terrorist makes the bomb before going after him, it's a little late don't you think? Only someone with a limited intellect waits for the explosions to happen.

• Like 1

Please stop with the misleading information. The southern Thai Muslim insurgents have indeed committed a number of acts of terrorism -- bombs at shopping malls, shooting up Buddhist schools, etc. Not saying a car bomb targeting a specific enemy, such as in a Mafia hit is something to be condoned, but it doesn't meet the standard definition of terrorism. Also, don't even get started with the if it involves Catholics BS. Totally not relevant, it's just a cheap flame and you aren't fooling anyone, you know it.

No, most of the violence in the South is very targeted... people and things that represent the Thai culture or government (police, military, schools) or people that they accuse of collaborating with the Thais.

It's been targeted. I thnk it still can be called "terrorism" but it's not qualitatively different from what you are dismissing in Costa Rica.

there was a bomb

You don't look for toilet paper AFTER you take a crap. Similarly, if you wait till the terrorist makes the bomb before going after him, it's a little late don't you think? Only someone with a limited intellect waits for the explosions to happen.

I don't understand your point. The Thai authorities found the chemicals and there was no explosion. Everything is fine, no harm, no foul.

There was no need for the Thai government to go public about this... The only thing it changes for us is that there would be less posts on this forum.

Please stop with the misleading information. The southern Thai Muslim insurgents have indeed committed a number of acts of terrorism -- bombs at shopping malls, shooting up Buddhist schools, etc. Not saying a car bomb targeting a specific enemy, such as in a Mafia hit is something to be condoned, but it doesn't meet the standard definition of terrorism. Also, don't even get started with the if it involves Catholics BS. Totally not relevant, it's just a cheap flame and you aren't fooling anyone, you know it.

No, most of the violence in the South is very targeted... people and things that represent the Thai culture or government (police, military, schools) or people that they accuse of collaborating with the Thais.

It's been targeted. I thnk it still can be called "terrorism" but it's not qualitatively different from what you are dismissing in Costa Rica.

We are not going to make this into a pissing contest about how many times the Southern Thai Muslim insurgents have bombed shopping malls with innocent shoppers in them, etc. Such things have happened more than once so they are certainly capable of what everyone would agree is terrorism. Drop the Costa Rica diversion. Show me cases where Costa Rican "terrorists" have bombed shopping malls or similar civilian targets and I'll agree they are the same. Edited by Jingthing

I don't understand your point. The Thai authorities found the chemicals and there was no explosion. Everything is fine, no harm, no foul.

There was no need for the Thai government to go public about this... The only thing it changes for us is that there would be less posts on this forum.

Oh so catching a terrorist with the bomb materials right on our doorstep is considered no harm, no foul! Wow aren't we blase about about such things?

Why shouldn't they have gone public? The public already knows about the threat.

there was a bomb

the prep said they were

Hizballah planned Mumbai-style attack on Habad Bangkok, Khao San restaurants

http://www.debka.com/article/21654/

Edited by wxyz

Oh so catching a terrorist with the bomb materials right on our doorstep is considered no harm, no foul! Wow aren't we blase about about such things?

No, of course the public knows now. But if the US Embassy never released its warning this would be a non-issue. Just another arrest that we know nothing about.

there was a bomb

the prep said they were

What? You're telling me that there have been some bombings on Khao San and elsewhere in Bangkok? I don't think so.

No, of course the public knows now. But if the US Embassy never released its warning this would be a non-issue. Just another arrest that we know nothing about.

Actually, if the US Embassy didn't release the warning, the Thai government would have just sat on their collective asses and not do anything. Why do you think they got the guy and then the bomb materials days after the warning was released?

What? You're telling me that there have been some bombings on Khao San and elsewhere in Bangkok? I don't think so.

I can imagine what your posts would sound like if the terrorists do manage to carry out the kinds of attacks they were planning. I get it now. You're a Hezbollah apologist/supporter. That's your right. Come out, come out!

I can imagine what your posts would sound like if the terrorists do manage to carry out the kinds of attacks they were planning. I get it now. You're a Hezbollah apologist/supporter. That's your right. Come out, come out!

Yes and he hates our freedom ....

When cornered, just accused the other side of being either a hater or an apologist. It always works sad.png

Just to quote Endure :

Don't you find that the use of the word 'haters' strangles any legitimate debate when there are two sides to a story? And there always are two sides to a story. 'Haters' always seems to imply that I'm right and you're wrong and that's the way it will always be.

• Like 1

the prep said they were

that was the plan, but you knew that already

Yes and he hates our freedom ....

When cornered, just accused the other side of being either a hater or an apologist. It always works sad.png

Just to quote Endure :

Don't you find that the use of the word 'haters' strangles any legitimate debate when there are two sides to a story? And there always are two sides to a story. 'Haters' always seems to imply that I'm right and you're wrong and that's the way it will always be.

I don't think Hezbollah/Al Queda/Hamas, etc. terrorists do what they do because they hate our freedom, whatever that Bush-speak was supposed to mean. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify that.

If it was not for the Yanks, you would probably not be speaking English, possibly German or Japanese.

As for the warning, better to get it out there than no warning at all.

I think you need to look at history, and take a look at a vote that happened years before any wars the Americans entered into. The vote decided, by a small margin, to use English as the main language of America and not German.

had the Germans or Japanese won the war, you would be speaking german or japanese, having said that, if there is an attack in BKK, then let me know, I would like to see how the Thai Gov't handles that! also there were 14 Nations that put out the alert! if and when it happens I will be looking for all the crying about nothing being done!

What? People are criticizing the Thai government for their handling of this "incident."

Why would the Thai government need to alert the population of an ongoing investigation? They seem to have things under control and there has been no violence. There are probably dozens of similar arrests made every year in Thailand and other countries around the globe but they don't get publicized.

Nothing happened here... no problems, no property damage, no deaths.

People seem to be under that impression that the Thai authorities only work on things on which ThaiVisa posters are aware.

• Like 1

MOre than 4000 kg of bomb making chemicals found in wharehouse near BKK. Info from alleged hezbollah detainee.

I suppose some advanced logic/reasoning forum posters will say the detainee was going to use the fertilizer on his Teeraks Issan farm

There are a few posters here that would claim just that.

It appears that there are some extremely ignorant folks posting on these threads or a massive mis-information campaign is being waged on the most popular Thai / Expat forum on the planet to diffuse the situation and to prevent the Thais from appearing more foolish that they already look. The problem is that every time Chalerm opens his mouth, he sticks his foot in a little further.

You can't make this stuff up.

Some ignorant people have the cognitive ability to put information together and come to a rational conclusion, and even learn on the way. What you refer to is a lot more complicated than ignorance alone. Perhaps we can call it "precious or priceless logic ? Societal drift reaching new heights.....

Actually, if the US Embassy didn't release the warning, the Thai government would have just sat on their collective asses and not do anything. Why do you think they got the guy and then the bomb materials days after the warning was released?

It depends on which reports you believe - I would doubt the accuracy of most of the reports so far and we have to remember that we are viewing events through the prism of international and national media here.

This latest report from 'debka' that is doing the rounds is saying that the guy that was caught and apparently confessed and led investigators to the shophouse of chemicals was picked up at Bangkok Airport on thursday 12th which is the day before the warning from the US Embassy.

What? People are criticizing the Thai government for their handling of this "incident."

Why would the Thai government need to alert the population of an ongoing investigation? They seem to have things under control and there has been no violence. There are probably dozens of similar arrests made every year in Thailand and other countries around the globe but they don't get publicized.

Nothing happened here... no problems, no property damage, no deaths.

People seem to be under that impression that the Thai authorities only work on things on which ThaiVisa posters are aware.

So what you are saying is that you being a TV poster have no idea if you are accurate in your statement, “There are probably dozens of similar arrests made every year in Thailand and other countries around the globe but they don't get publicized.”

I would agree with that.

Want report said the guy was picked up on the 12th ? I did not read that one....so many reports now that it is hard to keep track....Thai way to confuse everyone and hide the truth

Nothing to do with the Thais:

The only suspect in Thai custody is Atris Hussein, 47, who was arrested as soon as he landed at Bangkok international airport Thursday, Jan. 12.

Want report said the guy was picked up on the 12th ? I did not read that one....so many reports now that it is hard to keep track....Thai way to confuse everyone and hide the truth

Nothing to do with the Thais:

The only suspect in Thai custody is Atris Hussein, 47, who was arrested as soon as he landed at Bangkok international airport Thursday, Jan. 12.

Thursday or Friday ...who is telling the correct story ? Where did debka get their information ?

Even in that article there are contradictions. This suggests that there were already someone making efforts toward this and the US came out with the alert based on this information. So probably after the tip-off and the alerts given out that the police went to pick him up. Really too much contradiction, some say arrested at the airport trying to leave, some show the 13th. It could well been the 13th here, the day the alert was given and the 12th where the article from debka was published.

According to debkafile's intelligence sources, the tip-off originated with Lebanese nationals living in Bangkok who had been approached for assistance. Those informants, who did not trust the local authorities to act, went straight to Western and Israeli contacts, who then published terror alerts to US and Israeli travelers.