Tot Will Not Move My Internet

4evermaat

Saphli, chumphon. We moved about 2 km down from where we had the internet (moving from beach road to main road). after about 4 days or so of putting in the written move request, gf gets call saying that they cannot honor move request because the location area is full. Some people have to finish first before I can get service moved jerk.gif . Has this ever happened to anyone before? I can appreciate the quality control here, but I am moving services, not requesting new service.

Now I must go into the town AGAIN to request to cancel. Which will require that I go back, get the form signed, and go back in the town :(

I should not be penalized for the contract, right? (2 months left).

Maybe time to switch to 3BB?

Seen numerous posts like this over the years. Some areas in Thailand just don't have enough phone lines...and when you move into that area you go on the waiting list....don't matter if you moved from just a few kilometers or hundreds of kilometers away and had service at your previous location. Probably other people who had previous service on the waiting list also. I expect you will have to pay a cancellation fee of 1000 to 2000 baht if canceling the internet service before the contract's 12 month end....the phone company don't care what the reason is...moving, just don't want the service anymore, etc. A contract is a contract. I hope you get lucky and don't have to pay a cancellaton fee, but chances are you will have to pay a fee if cancelling before the 12 month contract is up. Good luck.

With TOT you will have to pay the cancelation fee 110%. Everyone knows that TOT is the worst internet service in Thailand and especially in Pattaya. You are WAY better off using 3bb. Can also get an aircard from tukcom if you can't wait.

I think they are not willing to move you since they know you have to pay penalties. After you paid them and if you request again magically more space will be available.

My recommendation is to change to True if your area allows it after you cancel TOT

Has happened to me with both True and TOT.

1st time moved house and TOT gave the no lines available story so I got True connected, when I moved from there (less than 1km further up the soi) I went into the True office before I signed a lease and asked if they could move my service. A quick call to the tech and the answer was yes they could. I went from there and signed the lease the next day and then put in the request to have my service moved only to be told "no lines available" <deleted>, went back into the true office and intially asked politely what was going on but this endfed up with me having a red mist episode, right proper tantrum ti was !!!, now Iam with 3B.

We were flooded from 5th Oct so didn't have internet or 'phone service from TOT until they came to put a new router etc on 10th Nov as the other had died in the floods. I have refused to pay for this period and wonder if any others have had similar problems and won??

A bit offtopic.gif but still related.

Edited by CHANGOVER

I think they are not willing to move you since they know you have to pay penalties. After you paid them and if you request again magically more space will be available.

My recommendation is to change to True if your area allows it after you cancel TOT

Seen numerous posts like this over the years. Some areas in Thailand just don't have enough phone lines...and when you move into that area you go on the waiting list....don't matter if you moved from just a few kilometers or hundreds of kilometers away and had service at your previous location. Probably other people who had previous service on the waiting list also. I expect you will have to pay a cancellation fee of 1000 to 2000 baht if canceling the internet service before the contract's 12 month end....the phone company don't care what the reason is...moving, just don't want the service anymore, etc. A contract is a contract. I hope you get lucky and don't have to pay a cancellaton fee, but chances are you will have to pay a fee if cancelling before the 12 month contract is up. Good luck.

can you "suspend" or "pause" service while you are on waiting list? I've already gone almost 3 weeks now without internet (2 weeks because of gf procrastination, 1 week ToT determining if they have space) and I suspected that due to the contract, they don't care much. gf spoke to big boss and he said if we can show that we paid for 1 year service, then maybe only small cancellation fee or no fee the boss will cancel it. Otherwise, she quoted me 4600 baht. I have only 2 months left. I take responsibility for not checking availability BEFORE i made the move, but do I really want to shell out 4600 baht (if it comes to that) when I could order new service from a competitor and get 4-5 months service?

I've had little problems with the actual internet service when it is up and running at previous location. This is more of a customer relations issue. We'll see on monday when we meet big boss in person.

CAT makes it simple to pause/cancel service, but maybe because there is no contract.

Now I have to go to the ToT office in another city (not the town) but about 15-20km away in the other direction that has jurisdiction over my location. I initially paid all year up front, but then upgraded the line from 6Mb Down /0.5Mb up to 10Mb Down / 1 Mb up....looks like it should be the same price with a flyer I looked at recently.

I currently have Cat CDMA as backup. except for a slowdown several months ago, cat has been solid in this area and when I used to be in Phuket/ other cities when I travel with the mifi card. There is no AIS/True 3G wireless in Chumphon. True may have a landline service.

Good news is that 3bb recently dropped a new line in the area and some reports from a local suggested that while they had problems in the past with 3bb, several foreigner customers reported no problems with the new line. She doesn't know if that will change as more subscribers are added.

Edited by 4evermaat

I worked for a PTT in Europe and this is something that happen not only in Thailand but all over the world. You invest in cupper cables let's say 100 pair to an area. When it's full it is.

Either the PTT has to invest in putting down new cables, a cost maybe close to a million or more. They do not make this investment for one customer. One thing that is possible is to convince (pay) someone to cancel his not used subscription amd take over his cable.

So not a unique problem and often one provider owns all cables in one area so change provider will barely help.

We were flooded from 5th Oct so didn't have internet or 'phone service from TOT until they came to put a new router etc on 10th Nov as the other had died in the floods. I have refused to pay for this period and wonder if any others have had similar problems and won??

A bit offtopic.gif but still related.

We were flooded also in Nov/early Dec, evacuated the home for 25 days, and during a good portion of this period one of our TOT phone lines was super noisy/unusable. While evacuated we did make a couple trips back for a few hours to make sure the house was OK/hadn't been robbed/etc. When we came back to the home (water still in the streets but dropping) the phone line was still super noisy/unusable, we waited a week or so to call in the problem in hopes of it magically fixing itself, finally called the problem in, and then about 10 days later we finally got it fixed. I'm guessing the phone line was unusable for around a full month. When talking to the TOT Call Center they said they knew our area of western Bangkok had been flooded and they had many phone lines out...and when our next bill comes in just go to a TOT Service Center, explain the situation, and they will give a credit.

We went to a service center on 5 Jan 12 with the bill in hand, they filled out a short form with a copy of the Thai wife's ID card, said that paperwork would get us a credit for the month, and we shouldn't pay for the month since a credit would be coming. Other people were there doing the same thing as us...wanting a credit/adjustment and the rep was filling out/submitting a form for everyone who asked for a credit. Well, our next monthly came in yesterday/26 Jan and no credit is reflected...shows we owe two months of service...last month and this month. I may call the Call Center tomorrow to see if any credit/adjustment has hit our account since the current bill was mailed out. I not credit/adjustment yet we go visit the service center again and ask what's going on...since they are always swapping out the representatives I'm sure we won't get to talk to the same person who helped us on 5 Jan...will probably be told they "may" still be processing the credit, get the deer-in-the-headlights look, etc...etc...etc. If told that I will just pay for one month vs the two months on the current bill and probably wait until the next bill to see if the adjustment shows up. Although the amount in dispute is small, only the 107 baht monthly charge, I'm doing this more on the principle of the thing plus the service center is at the Lotus we go to several times a week and there is rarely any waiting line at the service center.

Summary: no credit/adjustment yet....but the paperwork was submitted on 5 Jan....I expect thousands of such requests have been submitted and TOT probably has one over-worked, under-paid rep in some back office processing the paperwork. TOT is probably like most Thai companies...they take you money with a smile on their face, but trying to get money back/a credit is like pulling teeth and takes a while.

P.S. I use True Cable Internet & Cable TV and neither service went down during the flooding...even with 1 to 1.5 meters of flood waters in our moobaan for over a month. Wish I could also get a True phone line, but TOT owns the phone lines in our moobaan and no other phone carrier is allowed to string phone lines.

Edited by Pib

P.S. I use True Cable Internet & Cable TV and neither service went down during the flooding...even with 1 to 1.5 meters of flood waters in our moobaan for over a month. Wish I could also get a True phone line, but TOT owns the phone lines in our moobaan and no other phone carrier is allowed to string phone lines.

How is true cable internet service? How much is it for appx 10Mbps down?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

How is true cable internet service? How much is it for appx 10Mbps down?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

For me here in western Bangkok it's been absolutely great and super reliable. I have the 20Mb/2Mb plan for B1,299/mo. The 7Mb/512Kb plan is B599 and the 10Mb/1Mb plan is B699/mo. They also have 50Mb and 100Mb plans. Add the typical 7% VAT to all plans. I get the 20Mb in-Thailand speed, around 15Mb to Singapore, and 3 to 6Mb speeds to the US/Europe. On a 10Mb plan you would get the same 3-6Mb speeds to farangland as I do on the 20Mb plan based on posts by 10Mb plan users...even the 50Mb or 100Mb plans would probably only give 3-6Mb to international sites but you would have 50Mb or 100Mb in-Thailand speeds if you had a use for such speed. Your results may vary.

Note: Just because True may have cable TV lines in your area does not automatically mean those lines are also provisioned to also provide internet...you would need to check with True.

Some areas in Thailand just don't have enough phone lines...and when you move into that area you go on the waiting list.

Not just Thailand, 25 years ago bought a old Farm in Portugal, on the waiting list for 7 years to get a phone line, 7 years was fast because many of use in the area put in requests for 3 or 4 lines, appeared the magic number was 50, get 50 line orders and the phone was installed within 6 months..

A while back Thailand had a surfeit of phone lines

as everyone had gone mobile.............

Are you sure we are talking about phone lines here

or the ability to add a new ADSL user in a particular area?

A while back Thailand had a surfeit of phone lines

as everyone had gone mobile.............

Are you sure we are talking about phone lines here

or the ability to add a new ADSL user in a particular area?

Phone or ADSL still needs the copper line strung to the residence and if all the copper pairs strung to an area/village junction box are in use in order to add an ADSL/phone line to any residence more copper needs to be strung or the junction box capability increased which means more copper trunk lines being strung to the junction box...and this ain't cheap. Even if the residence had a copper line strung to it because the previous resident had a phone/internet line but gave it up for some reason, someone else in the village took over the number/junction box connection feeding that line. And if the location is a low populaton area, stringing copper may not be very cost effective even for internet lines/plans. And if it's not a "copper line" issue it may be a lack of internet DSLAM ports in the area. I expect the wide spread use of cell phones actually slowed down the stringing of copper lines in many parts of Thailand because of the loss revenue in landline use. Getting a phone and/or internet line can sometimes be a real problem in some parts of Thailand...even in the cities.

I think Pib is hitting the nail on the head,,,,,,,TOT has xxx number of ports available on the local Dslam and they are telling you until someone cancels their service to free a port there are none available. TOT's budget is such that they will not install another Dslam until they can cost justify it

i was able to drive gf out to the correct ToT location and we were able to cancel the internet with no further charges. This was probably due to the fact that we prepaid internet 1 year. The extra charges resulted from a later "upgrade" from 6Mb to 10Mb. Still had -1500 overpayment from last statement. After the cancellation was processed, there was still 600 baht left on the balance, but ToT said they would keep that. I insisted that I get something in writing stating that the account is actually cancelled. They gave us something hand-written, but I figured good enough rolleyes.gif

My gf sometimes has a hard time understanding why I insist on receipts, even though she sees (and has witnessed first hand) the value of receipts. Two months from now, ToT could easily continue billing and may say "I don't remember you cancelling account....who are you again??" I had to drive 20km and take proper paperwork. So when it is done, it is done.

Guess I will check out true/3bb options. Wouldn't be surprised though like someone already mentioned if ToT had slot available if I went to sales desk.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't help but contribute here as everyone seems to think 3BB is something special. I cancelled TOT and yes it was a problem but I paid no fees and got it done with a battle in person down at the Chit Lom office. Then I switched to 3BB and wanted to cancel after 10 months. Cost to cancel: 6600 Baht. End of story

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't help but contribute here as everyone seems to think 3BB is something special. I cancelled TOT and yes it was a problem but I paid no fees and got it done with a battle in person down at the Chit Lom office. Then I switched to 3BB and wanted to cancel after 10 months. Cost to cancel: 6600 Baht. End of story

Unless they're holding a deposit from you, it's their problem not yours. The telecom providers in Thailand often seem to see themselves as a gov't office rather than a corporate entity. Recovering a few thousand Baht from a private person is to all intents and purposes, impossible.

That's what I ended up doing but it was a battle. They tried to railroad my wife who called them 1st. I was in a situation where I was moving far and wasn't able to grab the last 2 bills as they came. I called em and said "look I'm leaving the country sunday. I'm willing to pay the last 2 months and that's it". After talking to bosses and whatever they reluctantly agreed. They could not have been more unfriendly and demanding of this huge amount. They had a 1K baht deposit which I had to forfeit - for modem - plus I paid those last 2 months at a 3BB counter at Fortune to the most unfriendly unsmiling Thai I've ever dealt with. I tried to give back the modem but they didnt want it. I bought it and its on my tech junk pile. Avoid 3BB at all costs. The speed is lousy as well

Can't complain about TOT. When I moved from Jomtien to Pattaya I went to their headquarters on Central Road, and they told me to cancel the old contract, and make a new one. Old was 4MB for 699 Baht, new 8MB for 599 Baht per month, both plus VAT. No cancellation fee. Three days later it didn't work yet, so my GF called them, and they asked, who are you? Turns out some TOT clerk disappeared the paperwork. Fed up with TOT I went to CAT, and they suggested 4MB for 2,299 Baht per month. Plus installation fee. Plus VAT. That's when I walked out, and went back to TOT to apply again. They send their technicians the same afternoon to wire about 200 meters to my house. No installation fee. Has been working perfectly for the last 6 months. 8Mbps for 748 Baht per month.

With TOT you also have to stop the phone line rental, I know of a case they kept sending the monthly bill for over a year for the line rental, even though previous 12 months not been paid, I think with TOT the lights are on but no one home !

I personally use 3BB and it has been the best connection I have had in Thailand vrs True and ToT. I am more isolated now, may that helps ?