How To Keep Mosquitoes Away

sna

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mosquito nets or mesh around the area where would would be sitting. But I assume you may want something more open. They have those mosquito incents you burn, this has a so-so effect, depending on what direction it blows.

Use a strong fan where you are sitting.

I've experimented with a mosquito zapper that you plug into the wall, but it only works well at night or in a dark enclosed area (room, closet, etc). They also have the hand-held mosquito racket zapper. It kind of turns killing the buggers into a game, but at least you can clear an area of them quickly. They sell them at tesco/big c starting at 100 baht on sale.

There are also mosquito catch-mains that I saw in Hawaii. You take a plastic jug or big plastic water/soda bottle and slice it open in such a way that mosquitos find their way in, but cannot get out. They eventually die inside. You put them up on posts around the area you want to protect.

lemongrass in your garden.

a simple google would of told you that in less than a minute

How would it help if you have lemongrass in your garden,unless you roll around on the plants? rolleyes.gif

"Mosquito plant — The citronella, or mosquito plant, is a scented geranium related to the common garden geranium. Some catalogs claim that if you grow it on your deck, it’ll repel mosquitos. Citronella plant does contain citronella oil,

which is used in mosquito-repelling candles. It won’t hurt to have one on your patio, but no plant will keep the little buggers away just by growing in the garden. It only releases oils when its leaves are crushed"

• Like 1

The mossie 'coils' are pretty good, but for better protection one has to use cream/spray to ensure they don't come near you.

I hadn't been bothered much for mossies for a while so no longer applied cream/spray - until recently friends came to visit from England.... Suddenly, the mossies were back in vengeance! My friends left a couple of weeks ago and the mossies are gradually going away again unsure.png - presumably they love those who are un-used to them??

Edited by F1fanatic

Being realistic, there is no way you will stop them unless the area is cordoned off with mesh or netting. even then you will get some coming in.

I've found having mesh on all the doorways and windows to be very effective. If you're careful about not leaving them open as you go in and out you will only need to clap the odd few that have managed to get in as they start bothering you.

• Like 1

Apart from the coils and sprays, mosquitoes also like calm air so have a fan on somewhere to keep the air moving. If you find your ankles get bitten more than elsewhere... then aim the fan to circulate the air low around chair and table legs; there's more than a few sidewalk and garden-style restaurants that do this already. Also, mosquitoes like dark places and I saw a mosquito 'trap' on local television a few years back. Take a large, square tin can, similar to the ones that bulk cooking oil or locally made cookies come in and cut the top off. Fill it with dark colored cloth; an old t-shirt or socks will do. Place it somewhere off to the side of your outside relaxing area and most of the mosquitoes will move in there. If you are stuck for a tin and dark cloth, just stick a crumpled black bin-liner in a small bucket... same result.

Edited by NanLaew

Being realistic, there is no way you will stop them unless the area is cordoned off with mesh or netting. even then you will get some coming in.

I've found having mesh on all the doorways and windows to be very effective. If you're careful about not leaving them open as you go in and out you will only need to clap the odd few that have managed to get in as they start bothering you.

Agreed, but the topic is for mosquitoes outside, which is why I said there is no realistic way of stopping them without screening around the area where you sit.

I use to burn coconut husks when in the Jungle. they don't like smoke of any sort. you will not keep them away altogether you will always get a stray mossie. they say taking vitamin B pills does the trick but i have never tried them.

I take vit B pills and rarely get bothered by mossies (except when Western friends came to stay - but they were still bothered far more than me).

Have no idea whether this is due to the vit B pills or just that I'm 'toughened' now, putting the mossies off.

I gather mossies are actually attracted by body heat.

And not only body heat. Maybe you have noticed that when you make your dinner and bring it inside your home (assuming you have a Thai style kitchen) the mossies are very eager to get in to your food. So yes, heat has very much to do with attracting mossies.

lemongrass in your garden.

a simple google would of told you that in less than a minute

Add: A number of assorted herbs and plant-life planted around the garden will do wonders - and not just for mozzies.

And not only body heat. Maybe you have noticed that when you make your dinner and bring it inside your home (assuming you have a Thai style kitchen) the mossies are very eager to get in to your food. So yes, heat has very much to do with attracting mossies.

Actually, they are attracted to carbon dioxide, which we all emit.. not getting away from that.

totster :D

This heat attraction is a myth. Body heat is a rather minor point of sensing/attraction. Body moisture might be more of a culprit.

They tend to be drawn by one's level of carbon dioxide, lactid acid, and octenol.

This heat attraction is a myth. Body heat is a rather minor point of sensing/attraction. Body moisture might be more of a culprit.

They tend to be drawn by one's level of carbon dioxide, lactid acid, and octenol.

It's not a myth. I see this every day.