Best Credit Card

corkman

Hi All,

Looking to get a credit card. Any tips or prefrences on which are the best? Any good independent sites that ocmapre and contrast various providers.

I'm not sure, but I reckon between myself and the Mrs. we'll easily do more than 100k (THB) transaction a year between fuel, tesco's, day-to-day stuff etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cash money has always worked for me. I've never understood why people use "plastic cards". You think it's for free, but it's not.

Indeed. There are a handful of societies, today, that almost disregard physical cash.....almost eccentric to offer currency for exchange. Cash lepers. Almost scary.

Are you really talking about credit card? It is a real expensive way to get credit here in Thailand!

For debit card it's no direct charge but many shops and other puts an extra charge for paying with card. So cash works better, anyway cheaper.

For Internet shopping there are differences. For example you can not pay with KTB:s debit card on Internet but you can with Kasikorn's.

There is nothing wrong with credit cards as long as you pay them off...

I think the Citibank m-visa card is the best but income required is quite high and you have to have a work permit

I like it because It offers a lot of discounts with hotels, restaurant, discounts at the mall, special lounge at the mall, valet parking at the mall, cashback for has purchases at shell, free road side service and a bunch of other benefits...

• Like 1

I just want to add, that it seems that all credit cards here all have the same interest rates .... 20%

So the difference in cards is mainly based upon their privledge programs...

Like I said above, I like the citi-m visa, but that is because I do most of my shopping at the MALL... if i didn't, then it would not be that great of a card.

The best thing to do is to think about where you do most of your shopping and then go for that one... or if you just want to save up mile for free flights, then maybe go with one of them that have "Royal Orchid Plus" cards (quite a few do).

Cash money has always worked for me. I've never understood why people use "plastic cards". You think it's for free, but it's not.

What a(nother) riculous comment. You have never had to book international flights, hotels, car rentals etc. etc. online? Do you stuff your 'cash money' up the telephone line?

Some of us need to travel a bit further than the local 7-11 and girly bar. My debit card is Visa, my credit card is Mastercard, and my Amex is, well, Amex. Not every card is accepted in every country, so if I have one they don't accept I pull out another one - understand? And yes they are free, they are all cleared every month.

@OP, I really wanted a Citi ROP card. It gives 1 mile per 20 baht spent, I worked out I could probably get 4 or 5,000 miles per month. As I am already a gold ROP member this would give me lots more upgrades. I have to report however that they have not once replied to either my calls or emails, so have decided Citi as a whole are not worth dealing with (here in Thailand). My UOB Platinum has always worked well, after 3 years I now have enough points for some hair straighteners or a toaster, lol.

• Like 1

QED...

If interested in Citi Credit card, you may want to apply at one of the stands at the local shopping malls or go in person to one of their offices... also in many of the shopping malls.

Or submit on their website below.. they say that you will be called within the next business day.

https://www.citibank.co.th/en/forms/lead-capture.htm?fm=cchomepage

Another alternative is the KTC ROP card.

Edited by CWMcMurray

Try Krungsri

Their own card seems to have many privileges attached

Plus

They just bought out hsbc (retail including credit card) this week

I imagine they will be able to combine privileges due to better negotiating power with retail businesses

• Like 1

You have never had to book international flights, hotels, car rentals etc. etc. online? Do you stuff your 'cash money' up the telephone line?

Can't say I had. How did you manage to do these things before the invention of the Credit Card? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

What a(nother) riculous comment. You have never had to book international flights, hotels, car rentals etc. etc. online? Do you stuff your 'cash money' up the telephone line?

The truer whimsical thought lies in the boxed-in ideals that one's existence can only tread through a suppressive intention of credit and online doings/business.

There is a real life out there and some of us do quite nicely without the advent of being dependent on "the system".

Just as Semper has rightly mentioned, life flowed quite steady and lovely years ago when interaction was real and physical. Exchanges and were made without the "comfort" of all things done electronically [and impersonal] with credit. Credit might be defined as not having available funds at the time [living beyond your means]. Not real.

I'll take the old school any day.

Can we not just answer the question? Why is it necessary to moralize over the need of what was asked for?

I think we can presume that the question is well substantiated from the private needs of "corkman".

If you don't know the answer why not just let it be.

Before signing on the line to take out a Thai credit card you would be well advised to check the 'penalties'.

Thai credit laws do not provide the range of protections that you can expect in Europe, the US or Down-Under and as such come with a significant financial risk.

Citibank Platinum - linked to Thai Airways. I get plenty of airmiles, there are also lots of discount promotions with the Citibank platinum (i.e. 25% off at certain restaurants). Free Golf at some courses (i.e. Mung Keaw in Bangkok), free airport transfers 2 times per year. Free access to TG Business Class lounge (I think only 2 times though).

I don’t know of the interest as its paid off every month.

Regarding security. MIL had something in the region of B300k fraudulently whipped of her Citibank card. It wasn’t an issue and the bank refunded the money. I’m not sure whether or not the response would be the same for everyone. I am still very careful where and when I use it. If in doubt I just withdraw cash from my account and use that.

BUT – Some places don’t accept Platinum cards… (i.e. Powermall I think), so a normal debit or credit card suffices there.

Credit might be defined as not having available funds at the time living beyond your means

thumbsup.gif

Each to their own.

I prefer to get online from the office and pay the bill month later without extra fee vs taking time of work, going to bank to withdraw cash and dropping by travel agent to book and pay for my travels. Not to mention the premium you pay for the convenience of using the travel agents services.

But back to topic, those ROP cards. I assume you don't earn qualifying miles i.e. those miles does not count towards your gold etc status?

Credit might be defined as not having available funds at the time living beyond your means

thumbsup.gif

Each to their own.

I prefer to get online from the office and pay the bill month later without extra fee vs taking time of work, going to bank to withdraw cash and dropping by travel agent to book and pay for my travels. Not to mention the premium you pay for the convenience of using the travel agents services.

But back to topic, those ROP cards. I assume you don't earn qualifying miles i.e. those miles does not count towards your gold etc status?

Some may never get the convenience of cards over cash.

It need not be a credit card, a debit card is also fine. However in Thailand there are many deals associated with a credit card which make it worth while.

Regarding ROP mileage, I’m not sure if the miles count towards tier status or whether they are only used for rewards.

As an aside: the wife and I are both flying on points accrued with the ROP linked credit card – we still have to pay the tax but save approximately 15,000 THB on the ticket (BKK-SIN), this alone makes the card worth while and encourages us to use it.

Ignore certain posters, they lack the capacity to write anything other than smart-arsed one line comments...

Erm... cards have saved me money over cash... Lots of times.

In cases where there is a card processing fee, I can simply withdrawer the cash from my account.

Having a card gives a person the choice to make savings where he can based on the available promotions.

Spoken by someone who has no clue.

We have the family card from SCB and get back 1% every month (cash) on all the purchases we make. So basically we use the card everywhere we can (only if no fee is charged) and then pay in full (via auto pay) every billing cycle and collect 1% back. We make money and have the convenience of not having to have cash on hand at all times. Plus we get anywhere from 15-30 days to pay. Would someone like to point out the downside to this?

Next we are trying to get a citibank card (thai version) whihc is a little harder as Citibank vets the customers more. They have a few diff cards but the one we were looking at gives 5% back on shell gas and money spent at Big C. So especially we would use this card ONLY at Big C and Shell and use the scb family card at all other locations.

Also, SCB gave us 3 cards all linked together. 2 are visa and 1 is MC. They all share a credit limit which is fine by us. 1 of the cards (visa I think) gets us discounts at most of the hospitals like the Bangkok Hospital Group.

If you are paying to use credit cards then you are being played. They should be paying you to use them. Also, how do you buy plane tickets and stuff online with cash? This is a digital world so learn to stay on top or end up on the bottom.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

Credit might be defined as not having available funds at the time [living beyond your means]. Not real.

I'll take the old school any day.

Living within your means in a modern day and age earns points towards free flights, booking said free flights from the comfort of my office is also nice. Enjoy them old school ways.

Now now

Calm down everyone

Use them don't use them. Each to their own

The op's question is on which one would you recommend for use here. So let's keep your answers strictly on that

Cheers

Why not use a debit card? It debits your checking account, and the interest is 0. I use a debit card worldwide, no need to pay interest on a credit card at all.

I do not pay any interest on my credit card for any bills paid within the same payment period. Using Citibank.

Just calculated, we pay atleast 150k for food per year...hmmm, and I think we live cheap. (Not going out to restaurants that often.)

Edited by TAWP

Before signing on the line to take out a Thai credit card you would be well advised to check the 'penalties'.

Thai credit laws do not provide the range of protections that you can expect in Europe, the US or Down-Under and as such come with a significant financial risk.

Which is why getting a CC from a provider back home is a good idea, if you have the option.