Russians Trapped In Pattaya Following Collapse Of Tour Company

Rimmer

I'm still having difficulty understanding what you mean. You say "their respresentatives." What exactly do you mean by that? If they are wiring money (Western Union?), that takes only a matter of minutes.

If I were the hotel management I would be concerned about receiving payment for services rendered. I can easily see the hotel's point of view that it will be more than happy to release the "loot" when payment is received.

For what reason would a Thai even consider attending school in Switzerland?

(Why would you ever put a wedding ring in a safe?)

I find all your questions simple-minded.

1. The guests of the hotel already paid their money to the tour company, and have now been ripped off just as much as the hotel. If the tour company collapses, a customer-oriented hotel would do their best to show some sympathy, and not hold the personal possessions of their fellow victims hostage to try to make sure the bill gets paid. Some of their guest may not be able to come up with the money for airfare to get home, much less pay a second time for their hotel room.

The hotel is surely going to suffer some losses, but if word gets around (which it does faster and wider than ever these days) they will lose far more long-term by showing themselves to be rapacious <deleted>.

2. Many Thais aiming for careers in the hospitality industry do in fact attend the world-leading educational institutions overseas, by far the most respected in the world are Swiss. I have also seen local "branch/franchises" set up here affiliated with these Swiss schools, but suspect they wouldn't have the same level of quality.

Thais learning their philosophy of customer service from other Thais, especially those with a Chinese business mindset will never provide the level of customer care (see that word - genuine **caring** is required!) that the higher reaches of international traveller has come to expect from having their needs met by western-trained professionals.

Losing a bit of money in the short term in order to provide outstanding customer satisfaction is a formula followed by the world leaders in this industry, and a growing number of others as well. Thais need to start adopting the same long-term philosophy in order to effectively compete as the world continues to open up.

3 Why would you ever put a wedding ring in a safe?

Well said! You are the cunning linguist!clap2.gif

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the real point in question here is, thai's enter into a contract with X party

As long as all thing go okay this contract is good

But all contracts have 2 sides and things may go wrong

In this case when things did the Thai Hotels no longer wanted to honour the contract with Party X and expected the end user to pay for the risk they had taken in the first contract

Even my Thai wife understands "Double Dipping"

This is an incredibly strange view. So, you think folks should continue to honor a contract when they other party makes clear they have no intention of paying? Or is this only the way it should be for Thais and that they should be the ones considered breaking a contract by not delivering good or services for free when the contract clearly states they will be paid for those goods and services.

How do you know their intentions?

a) They didn't pay

cool.png They didn't make arrangements to pay

c) They filed for bankruptcy (basically overnight & without warning) to protect themselves from having to pay debts and forcing those they owe to file claims with the court to have any hope of seeing any portion owed to them.

True, the travel company did these things, not the innocent guests.jap.gif

That is terrible for them and even worse the Hotel refused them access to their own safe-boxes, can they do that?

I was staying in a hotel in Pattaya last May and there were mainly Chinese and Russians staying there. My wife had a friend who worked at the hotel and she told her that they hate the Russian tourists because they are unfriendly and mean, whilst the Chinese are friendly and generous. Apparently the Russians want everything for nothing and nothing about the hotel is ever good enough for them. Seems these stranded types will not be getting any special treatment if hotel staff feel this way about them.

Stayed at a dump of a hotel in Jomtien the other night... they wanted 3000B for the room key deposit on a prepaid room which i have trouble with...hotel filled with Russians and staff very very unfriendly.... when we came back from dinner my Thai GF who checked in with me got third degree and i was told I would have to pay extra charge.. told duty manager to go screw himself.... never did pay the key deposit rather got them to open the door every time we wanted to go in. I don't know if it is the Russians who are causing this and probably a bit of a generalisation to say that but I can say that Pattaya and jomtien hotel standards are going going gone to the dogs.

On a paid tour package, would not the hotel and airline already have been paid?

I can't see an airline nor a hotel accepting unpaid customers on a tour package.

I can only understand additional charges that a hotel guest might incure, like room service, etc.

No they are billed -- sometimes they don't even pay until the end of the season .. at least with hotels.

You just don't get it, do you? The guests already payed to their tour company. Their belongings are being held hostage because the tour operator didn't pay the hotel! You find it perfectly normal to let them pay twice? huh.png

So, the hotel should foot the bill????

If your new car is stolen after you leave the car lot .. should the dealer give you another car because it is not fair you would have to pay twice?

Sometimes businesses should, yes, eat some losses, and move on. Punishing the Russian guests who were obviously innocent victims by seizing their passports is a borderline human rights violation. Great PR!

(Maybe the jetski scammers on the beach should be warning foreigners about the behavior of some HOTELS.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

what I don't understand is that the guests would probably have paid the tour company in Russia

weeks ago so what took so long for them to transfer these payments to the hotels

in Thailand? If I was the hotel owner I would have insisted on advance payment

before these tourists were allowed to occupy the room because

they are not like normal guests who are required to

provide their credit card details before being handed the room key?

Edited by khaan

I imagine the hotel took up a contract with the travel agent.....not each individual traveler.

So, their beef is with the agent, not the traveler and as I suppose the traveler had already paid in full, it is really not their problem.....perhaps the insurance company...if they have it....certainly between agent and hotel....but skanky thai operators believe they are always 1 above the world.

On a paid tour package, would not the hotel and airline already have been paid?

I can't see an airline nor a hotel accepting unpaid customers on a tour package.

I can only understand additional charges that a hotel guest might incure, like room service, etc.

No they are billed -- sometimes they don't even pay until the end of the season .. at least with hotels.

I predict that there will now be a pretty swift change to these types of arrangements regarding

dealings with Russian tour companiesermm.gif

"stranded in Pattaya as their return air tickets and hotels they were staying at have not been paid."

So an airline will fly you to Thailand without a paid round trip ticket? What airline does that?

What hotel lets a large tour group check in without payment upfront?

I need to start a tour company, collect the money and walk away.

Another scam for the LOS.

Edited by z12
  • Like 1

"stranded in Pattaya as their return air tickets and hotels they were staying at have not been paid."

So an airline will fly you to Thailand without a paid round trip ticket? What airline does that?

What hotel lets a large tour group check in without payment upfront?

I need to start a tour company, collect the money and walk away.

Another scam for the LOS.

It is done the world over....most companies of decent size work like this.....you invoice at the end of the month and hopefully get paid within 30 day....some moreso.

If you do not like it, do not do business with the big boys.

Just reading this they are saying it's going to take them two weeks to get them back but this is Vietnam ... I could also see the same happening to these people here in Thailand .. At least 300 Russian tourists are stranded in the resort town of Mui Ne after a major Russian tourism firm that brought them to Vietnam went bankrupt last week . http://www.thanhnien...-goes-bust.aspx

Edited by nicky1982

I'm still having difficulty understanding what you mean. You say "their respresentatives." What exactly do you mean by that? If they are wiring money (Western Union?), that takes only a matter of minutes.

If I were the hotel management I would be concerned about receiving payment for services rendered. I can easily see the hotel's point of view that it will be more than happy to release the "loot" when payment is received.

1. The guests of the hotel already paid their money to the tour company, and have now been ripped off just as much as the hotel. If the tour company collapses, a customer-oriented hotel would do their best to show some sympathy, and not hold the personal possessions of their fellow victims hostage to try to make sure the bill gets paid. Some of their guest may not be able to come up with the money for airfare to get home, much less pay a second time for their hotel room.

The hotel is surely going to suffer some losses, but if word gets around (which it does faster and wider than ever these days) they will lose far more long-term by showing themselves to be rapacious <deleted>.

2. Many Thais aiming for careers in the hospitality industry do in fact attend the world-leading educational institutions overseas, by far the most respected in the world are Swiss. I have also seen local "branch/franchises" set up here affiliated with these Swiss schools, but suspect they wouldn't have the same level of quality.

Thais learning their philosophy of customer service from other Thais, especially those with a Chinese business mindset will never provide the level of customer care (see that word - genuine **caring** is required!) that the higher reaches of international traveller has come to expect from having their needs met by western-trained professionals.

Losing a bit of money in the short term in order to provide outstanding customer satisfaction is a formula followed by the world leaders in this industry, and a growing number of others as well. Thais need to start adopting the same long-term philosophy in order to effectively compete as the world continues to open up.

Now you're really being thick aren't you 8-)

Thanks for your kind words.

It always amazes me how people use the internet's anonymity to insult people they don't know. What could you possibly gain by doing that?

We are here to exchange views and pass the time of day. Why would anyone attempt to make it unpleasant?

I'll respond as politely as I can to your comments.

1) You used the phrase " a customer-oriented hotel would do their [sic!] best to show some sympathy." I believe that you might have forgotten that this is a Thai hotel, and as I wrote in a previous message, Thais are often only concerned about today and not concerned with the long-term.

2) Perhaps many Thais do attend Swiss schools. I would hazard a guess however, that the majority does not.

And, sure enough, you provide support to my point when you indicate that you feel that even Swiss branches in Thailand wouldn't be up to the standards expected in the western world.

I so agree with you that "customer care" is often lacking in Thailand. And, the very sad fact is that Thais do not care about providing "customer care."

As a result, Thailand is not considered a world leader in the hospitality industry.

However, Thailand does have many endearing qualities which attract a vast number of tourists.

3) My wedding ring has never left my finger.

And, no! my fingers are not thick.

Edited by jshorts

"The suspension has affected more than 8,000 Russian tourists traveling abroad"

"A group of around 50 will be leaving for Russia Tuesday"

A tsunami of russians, and only 50 are leaving.

Edited by z12

UPDATE

Pattaya Police assist stranded Tourists following collapse of Russian Tour Company

31_01_55_2_5.jpg

PATTAYA:-- The fallout from the collapse of the Russian Tour Company Lanta-Tour continues here in Pattaya with Police revealing that 341 Russian Tourists in Pattaya are currently without a return ticket to Russia.

Local Police are focusing on their Pattaya Office under the company Lanta-Tour Thai International Co Ltd located at the Wonderland Estate in East Pattaya, which was visited by Police Lieutenant General Panya, Commissioner of Region 2 Police on Tuesday. He inspected the office and was told that the property had been rented for 5 years at a price of 36,000 Baht per month and up-to-now the rent had been paid.

The General then made his way to the Ambassador City Hotel in Jomtien for a “Town Hall” style meeting with a selection of the stranded tourists. Joining the General was Police Major General Adit, the Commander of the Tourist Police. Through an interpreter, the tourists were assured that in cooperation with various Police agencies and the Tourism Authority of Thailand, they will be offered as much assistance as possible to ensure they can return to Russia at the earliest opportunity.

For now, the Tourism Authority has found them alternative accommodation until their return to Russia. In a further development, 10 Hotel operators and 14 members of staff employed by the Lanta-Tour Pattaya Office met Miss Olga Shendrik, its General Manager and her Lawyer at Banglamung Police Station on Tuesday Afternoon to complete Police Reports confirming unpaid bills and unpaid salaries as a precursor for legal action in the Courts.

Full story:http://www.pattayaon...n-tour-company/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-01-31

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

These tourist already paid, its the agency that didn't pay the hotels. Strange with the tickets though, seems like they would have known if it was just a one way ticket though, unless it was a group check in by the tour leader, as it probably was.

It always amazes me how people use the internet's anonymity to insult people they don't know. What could you possibly gain by doing that?

We are here to exchange views and pass the time of day. Why would anyone attempt to make it unpleasant?

1) You used the phrase " a customer-oriented hotel would do their [sic!] best to show some sympathy." I believe that you might have forgotten that this is a Thai hotel, and as I wrote in a previous message, Thais are often only concerned about today and not concerned with the long-term.

2) Perhaps many Thais do attend Swiss schools. I would hazard a guess however, that the majority does not.

And, sure enough, you provide support to my point when you indicate that you feel that even Swiss branches in Thailand wouldn't be up to the standards expected in the western world.

I so agree with you that "customer care" is often lacking in Thailand. And, the very sad fact is that Thais do not care about providing "customer care."

As a result, Thailand is not considered a world leader in the hospitality industry.

However, Thailand does have many endearing qualities which attract a vast number of tourists.

that "[sic!]" was neither polite nor appropriate.

and hotels should be customer-orientated.. whether thai, russian, swiss, whatever.

that was the point. this hotel didn't show sympathy when they should have.

that "[sic!]" was neither polite nor appropriate.

and hotels should be customer-orientated.. whether thai, russian, swiss, whatever.

that was the point. this hotel didn't show sympathy when they should have.

Awww, Gee! After being called "simple-minded" and "thick," I just couldn't help the slight dig. Please forgive my lack of self-restraint.

Obviously, from your perspective hotels should be customer-orientated. My perspective is that this is Thailand and its is further obvious that the Thais don't agree with you.

Holding people's property for unpaid rent is not uncommon.

Here in Thailand, I lived in an apartment and it was rather common for building owner to slap a big old lock on the door for those who hadn't paid their rent. The guards were pretty good about not letting people pull a runner with their stuff.

I think he is a little out of touch with reality.

This is Thailand and we are talking about a three star hotel.

In Switzerland do the three star hotels treat you like you are royalty. I think not.

As I have said in my earlier posts the Russians in Pattaya treat others with complete disrespect. Now that they get a taste of it the bleeding hearts come out.

The hotels got so much bad press here that I went and changed my booking for a week to the town in town hotel. They wont have many Russians.giggle.gif

• Like 1

There are worse places to be stranded than Pattaya. Moscow comes to mind.

Pattaya may not be hell but you sure touch it from there. I would hate to be stranded in the place, I was there for a day and couldn't get out fast enough.

There are worse places to be stranded than Pattaya. Moscow comes to mind.

Pattaya may not be hell but you sure touch it from there. I would hate to be stranded in the place, I was there for a day and couldn't get out fast enough.

I suggest staying at a better hotel next time. Pattaya is fantastic! Paradise, really.coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing

Holding your property is one thing. Holding your passport and wallet is another. It may be "legal" in Thailand but it shouldn't be.

If you rented your motorcycle to a stranger who gave you his ID as security and then that person didn't pay you, would you return the ID?

They were left in lock boxes, not left as a security deposit.

I don't understand your point.

The hotel hasn't been paid and they don't want to release the personal property until they get payment.

And I hope that the Russians don't release their hotel rooms until they get their possessions back!

Thais call Russians unfriendly and mean because they think every Russian got just as much money as Americans, Brits, Aussies and Euros from the Falang ATM God but are too cheap to pay falang prices. "What?!? No 300 bhat water for lady?!?. Bad man!"