A Id Card For Retirees

Just a suggestions for Retirees in Thailand.

In Malaysia "My Second Home" Programe,

the retirees are given a special ID Card to allow

them to move freely without having to carry their

passports when moving around the country.

If our retirees in Thailand (like Extension of Stay)

for one year, is given an ID Card, then it won't be

necessary to carry the passport when moving

around Thailand. All info on the retirees can be

printed on the special ID (like Malaysia My Second

Home). And for Thailand it could be renewed on

a year to year basis. Save the retirees the trouble

to carry the passports when moving around Thailand.

It's only my personal suggestion.

Thank you.

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY 5 year Thai driving Licence works very well as ID, national parks, airlines, hotels, all accept it.

If you are here for more than 6 months (on retirement or married extension) and drive any vehicle you have to get it anyway.

Edited by ludditeman

As a retiree for 12 years here I have never needed to carry my passport. I always use my Thai Driving licence which is accepted at

all hotels and even for domestic flights. The only time you need your passport is for bank transactions.

If you do not have a Thai driving licence then make a copy of the visa page and the photo page in your passport and put it in your wallet.

There should not be any need to increase anything to provide a service ID card if wanted - just a fee for the card. As Immigration is now using computer systems the cost of an extra five minutes and equipment could be made up using a nominal fee. This would help everyone in the long run with photo ID always available and much less lost/damaged passports/departure cards and such. The days of being expected to carry a passport should be relegated to the past.

• Like 2

The ID card shouldn't be a problem. They already produce them for Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers under the migrant labour scheme so there shouldn't be a problem with issuing them to other legitimate visa holders.

The ID card shouldn't be a problem. They already produce them for Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers under the migrant labour scheme so there shouldn't be a problem with issuing them to other legitimate visa holders.

You're right it shouldn't be a problem. But in reality, it is a problem. I rate the chances of immigration offering this to retired expats here to be very remote. That shouldn't be surprising in a scheme where an expat retired for twenty years has exactly the same status as someone newly in the system today. Edited by Jingthing

You're right it shouldn't be a problem. But in reality, it is a problem. I rate the chances of immigration offering this to retired expats here to be very remote. That shouldn't be surprising in a scheme where an expat retired for twenty years has exactly the same status as someone newly in the system today.

Although immigration are ultimately under the Ministry of Interior, it is the ampur who process the IDs for the the migrant workers, so likely the issue is going to have to be bought up with whatever section of MOI which oversees ID cards - certainly not the police.

As for it being a 'problem', well, apart from a few souls on TV with ID envy, the issue is unlikely to have ever been raised with the MOI.

The reason why workers from neighbouring countries do have ID's was because prior to 2008, most of the workers were totally undocumented. The process implementated since cross checks their nationality with their claimed home country, before Thai based ID's are issued to them while the ID's and work permits legitimised their stay.

Given that all retirees basically have their forms of ID already, plus can get other Thai based ID readily (DL and in many cases a yellow tabieen baan), I doubt that the MOI really thought to consider it an issue.

But, as always is the case in this world, people want what others have. So I suggest that given a system is already in place, why don't you make a representation to the MOI about it in co-ordination with the relevant foreign chambers?

I know the likely cop-out answers to that question, so as always, this thread is largely academic.

You're right it shouldn't be a problem. But in reality, it is a problem. I rate the chances of immigration offering this to retired expats here to be very remote. That shouldn't be surprising in a scheme where an expat retired for twenty years has exactly the same status as someone newly in the system today.

Although immigration are ultimately under the Ministry of Interior, it is the ampur who process the IDs for the the migrant workers, so likely the issue is going to have to be bought up with whatever section of MOI which oversees ID cards - certainly not the police.

As for it being a 'problem', well, apart from a few souls on TV with ID envy, the issue is unlikely to have ever been raised with the MOI.

The reason why workers from neighbouring countries do have ID's was because prior to 2008, most of the workers were totally undocumented. The process implementated since cross checks their nationality with their claimed home country, before Thai based ID's are issued to them while the ID's and work permits legitimised their stay.

Given that all retirees basically have their forms of ID already, plus can get other Thai based ID readily (DL and in many cases a yellow tabieen baan), I doubt that the MOI really thought to consider it an issue.

But, as always is the case in this world, people want what others have. So I suggest that given a system is already in place, why don't you make a representation to the MOI about it in co-ordination with the relevant foreign chambers?

I know the likely cop-out answers to that question, so as always, this thread is largely academic.

What do you bloody Aussies know about life in Thailand anyway, samran. Keep out of the discussion, farang coffee1.gif

It's funny how many western countries baulk at the idea of ID cards. I have a HK ID card and it's fantastic - Not only do I not need to carry my passport around in HK, but I don't even need it to leave or enter HK . . . simply stick it in the chip card reader at HK airport, and I'm through.

Having said that, I never carry my passport in Thailand either - like others, I use my Thai driving licence.

I also use the Thai driving licence as ID. An added bonus with this is if you strike somewhere that has the two tier pricing system, showing the Thai licence gets you the Thai price. Not a biggie for sure, but offsets the cost of the licence nicely and is priceless for winding up the tourists by getting things cheaper biggrin.png

Cheers

An added bonus with this is if you strike somewhere that has the two tier pricing system, showing the Thai licence gets you the Thai price. Not a biggie for sure, but offsets the cost of the licence nicely and is priceless for winding up the tourists by getting things cheaper biggrin.png

Cheers

Sometimes not always...some places want to see your WP before they give you discount..

The My second home program is not a retiree's program per se, and the finanical requirements are far higher than in Thailand So are you prepared to put up that sort on money to get an ID card so you dont have to carry a passport ?

And own 2 homes and import one car tax free..

dam_n skippy I am..

You are asking about something that would require progress or change. That simply does not happen in LOS. The very concept of improving anything for farengs, is impossible for the average Thai to consider. Why would we want our lives to be better? Why would they want to do that for us? What is the point? Where is the benefit for them? Why go to the effort? Why shouldn't we have to carry our passports around? By the way, I carry a color copy of my passport around in my wallet. Whenever I have been asked to produce my passport I pull that out, and 98% of the time it is accepted. Hotels, car rentals, police, etc., etc.

You could try asking Thai Immigration if they wouldn't mind issuing a card to make retirees life a little easier.

While you're about it, ask if it is really necessary to report to an Immigration office every 90 days.

revise the Thai immigration act in anyway to help people, not in this century. You got the wrong country. And taking any good suggestions from someone who is not Thai you have got to be joking. "Its not part of Thai culture"

A US friend who retired to aus told me reporting in Aus. is at 10 year intervals, commonsense rules do apply

I live in Thailand since 15 years and nobody EVER asked for my passport.

The rule is never enforced, and if you stil lare concerned about that, just carry a copy of your passport ( first page) in you wallet, problem solved,

An ID?Why make thing complicate since nobody will ever ask you for that ' special ID'?

Another story is if this ID would give you some privileges, like reduced prices at musea, something like that.

But for this purpose a driver licence suffice, so no problem.