How Hard Are You Prepared To Work . . .

HardenedSoul

Are you prepared to pursue that which, amongst the locals, is considered admirable? Things like wearing slacks or smart jeans in preference to shorts, shined shoes rather than flip-flops, shopping at Emporium or Siam Paragon's food halls instead of Tesco and sporting an iPhone instead of a tired old green-screened Nokia.

Are you prepared to learn the language in a country where, regardless of what date your visa displays, a falling out with the "wrong" Thai could potentially have you on a plane out of the Kingdom.

Alternatively, do you live by the teachings of the fictional Neil Macauley from the movie "Heat" who advises not to "have anyone or anything in your life that you can't walk away from in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat coming around the corner"?

This is not an invitation to haul the country over the coals - Lord knows that's been done to death - but, rather, it is an attempt to gain insight into how far foreigners are willing to immerse themselves in the local customs and culture for the sake of being accepted or even, dare I say it, retain or save "face".

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have five names that I know of ; Book Luke , Kun Luke , Luke Oi , Farang ( probably not capital F) and Bok Si Da and that is only up country . Oh I nearly forgot , Mister . Uch it is water off a duck's back . And as for the tescotheque , pah !

edit ; Insight - I prefer a cool water manday to the hot water emerser .

Edited by onionluke
  • Like 1

Interesting. Perhaps the question reveals something about yourself and your views on conforming and the 'establishment'?

But still a good question. I'm here for work - sent by a good employer who expects me to reflect their standards of professionalism when I'm working.

So I'm learning Thai, although after 4 years I seem to have the language ability of a 4 year old, and when at work I dress in trousers/slacks and a business shirt .... but no tie unless I'm going to a formal business meeting.

I use a Blackberry because it's the best tool for business, not becasue it's expected or for show.

Out of work I dress for comfort, although I still think short-shorts look terrible on a man, especially in Bangkok which is a business city.

I don't do any of this to save face or conform, it just makes my job simpler and set the tone for the team. (And if I wore shorts in the office I'd get frostbite .... what is it with a/c here??).

Are you prepared to learn the language in a country where, regardless of what date your visa displays, a falling out with the "wrong" Thai could potentially have you on a plane out of the Kingdom.

What total nonsense - what on earth make s you think this?

Who are you referring to that has the power to throw you out the country?What are the chances of you having a misunderstanding with him?

You obviously don't know Thai people and the way it works here.

If you want to integrate into Thai society you have to accept certain things and adopt different ways to do things.

The longer you stay the more apparent it becomes.

Some Thai will never accept you and some will quickly much like any country I assume.

• Like 1

Why would I do things to become accepted. I wont be sporting an Iphone to show off. If i had need of it id buy one. But i am learning Thai only normal when your here. I don't really care much about acceptance if it means having to change who i am.

• Like 2

It's not as far-fetched as you suggest since it has happened to people before. I'll admit that, in most instances, one is unlikely to turfed out offically but upsetting the wrong Thai can have you in a world of hurt that might have you on a plane anyway. Still, I did italicse the word "could".

Sorry but you don't know a thing about me so your flippant remark that I "obviously don't know Thai people and how it works here" won't be dignified with a defensive response.

Edited by HardenedSoul

Since when do the " locals " shop at Emporium and Siam, I would suggest shopping at places like Tesco would be fitting in more with the locals than Emporium which is full of Hi-so's , Chinese , Japanese and the like.

Sure when at work I dress accordingly , nothing to do with fitting in, would do the same back home, as for wearing shorts, well it is quite hot some times and many of the Thais obviously agree as I see many drinking in the local bars wearing tailored shorts. If I was going into town for a big night out then I would dress up a bit, again nothing to do with impressing anybody.

As for learning the language, I am trying but pretty sure I will never impress any localermm.gif

I came to the conclusion that I came from a superior culture to the local one, so, I live by those values.

I learned to speak Thai as I saw that it was in my interests to do so.

Unfortunately you have a Western face , Taking it as you are not from Thailand and not Asian, The problem is education, even the children call you Faland, they grow up being taught to be institutionally racist by the Thai government, and there parents Falang cannot buy land , double pricing, ext, ext.

I dress well because I have taste and eat well because my woman can cook better than many chefs.

And I couldn't care less if I was 'accepted' by locals or not.

Maybe your attitude may have a negative slant in the way you think, I to use to think that i don't care what people think or do, But it filters through to your family eventually. And i care for My family they have to take the flack and try and keep quiet, nobody likes there partner to be criticized even if wrong.

Edited by Thongkorn

I dress well because I have taste and eat well because my woman can cook better than many chefs.

And I couldn't care less if I was 'accepted' by locals or not.

Maybe your attitude may have a negative slant in the way you think, I to use to think that i don't care what people think or do, But it filters through to your family eventually. And i care for My family they have to take the flack and try and keep quiet, nobody likes there partner to be criticized even if wrong.

I think you may have gotten the impression.

I am a nice guy, people like me, I come to the party with a 6-pack of whiskey bottles, etc etc.

But I do it because that is me. Someone that is so insecure that they feel the need to work on getting accepted are either creeps or just useless.

If someone where to not like me than that is the other persons problem, not mine.

I feel accepted by the locals who know me in the area where I live, those who my wife and I meet on a regular basis address me by my name, I still get the common name 'hey you' from those who have met me a few times but don't know me except in passing, and of course the little kids point and stare saying "Falang", when they say that I have been looking around and saying in my limited Thai "Falang u nai? Mai hen" this gets a laugh from the parents who give me a wave and a smile next time they see me. I am slowly learning to speak Thai, I have been told I speak with a very clear southern accent, but my central Thai is terrible. I love the food and the climate, I have come across some rascism, but its not the norm so I take it with a grain of salt, no point getting upset by the one in hundred and finding myself with a problem. Most are accomodatingly friendly, some aren't, same everywhere.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by TomTao

Since when do the " locals " shop at Emporium and Siam, I would suggest shopping at places like Tesco would be fitting in more with the locals than Emporium which is full of Hi-so's , Chinese , Japanese and the like.

So by your reasoning, Thais wealthy enough to shop at the Emporium or Siam Paragon food halls are NOT locals, right?

Are you prepared to learn the language in a country where, regardless of what date your visa displays, a falling out with the "wrong" Thai couldpotentially have you on a plane out of the Kingdom.

Maybe if the OP spoke Thai he'd be able to communicate a little better with Thais and avoid the confrontation he seeming fears.

"Are you prepared to pursue that which, amongst the locals, is considered admirable? Things like wearing slacks or smart jeans in preference to shorts, shined shoes rather than flip-flops, shopping at Emporium or Siam Paragon's food halls instead of Tesco and sporting an iPhone instead of a tired old green-screened Nokia."

I do not do any of these things and am "accepted" enough to have been happy living here for several decades.

• Like 1

Are you prepared to learn the language in a country where, regardless of what date your visa displays, a falling out with the "wrong" Thai couldpotentially have you on a plane out of the Kingdom.

Maybe if the OP spoke Thai he'd be able to communicate a little better with Thais and avoid the confrontation he seeming fears.

Indeed. A common problem.

"Are you prepared to pursue that which, amongst the locals, is considered admirable? Things like wearing slacks or smart jeans in preference to shorts, shined shoes rather than flip-flops, shopping at Emporium or Siam Paragon's food halls instead of Tesco and sporting an iPhone instead of a tired old green-screened Nokia."

I do not do any of these things and am "accepted" enough to have been happy living here for several decades.

The bottom line is there isn't a standard for what is acceptance and what isn't.

It's all viewed and handled differently. Some find themselves comfortably in their way and get on lovely, while others fight and resist, therefore inventing some convoluted [and unnecessary] drama and the issues that incur.

• Like 1

Out of work I dress for comfort, although I still think short-shorts look terrible on a man, especially in Bangkok which is a business city.

I don't do any of this to save face or conform, it just makes my job simpler and set the tone for the team. (And if I wore shorts in the office I'd get frostbite .... what is it with a/c here??).

Just out of curiosity....Are you from the U.K. by chance?

I almost always wear long trousers, shoes and socks.

I read, write and understand Thai, but don't speak it much.

On the other hand, I am prepared to pick up my stuff and walk away at any time.

You're a single lad? No irons in the fire?

I remember the Late, Great celebrity chef Keith Floydd. I follow his manta.

"When I go somewhere, Thailand, Vietnam, India, I act English. Never try to act Thai, Vietnamese or Indian, you wont be very good at it and invariably you only end up P---S---NG a local off. Be yourself, be English, shout a lot, have a purse full of money and they will love you, at least to your face, which is the best you can hope for.".

A pretty much bang on quote from a very well travelled man, who died happy do what he loved where he loved doing it.

Sorry about the spelling mistake Keith.

Edited by autan
  • Like 1

Now that i think of it its a crazy question. You can never be accepted by everyone. I am pretty sure there were enough people in Holland who would not accept me. There is no universal thing to be accepted. I am happy here, i don't feel the locals wont accept me.

Where ever i go i usually have good experiences, but i write about the bad ones because they stick. I went fishing yesterday had some nice conversation about the bait and i get greeted there all the time. Not by people who make money from me but other fishermen.

Even though im strange and fish difference even do it over the top. I don't try to be like them i do my thing and they see that i enjoy fishing and that is it. I am sure there are people who don't like me or feel some resentment because i fish with more rods then them or something like that.

But you cant make everyone happy, its just impossible. Are you sure that everyone in your neighborhood liked you in your home country or thought the same about politics and other as you. That they were not envious of your car... or looked down on you because your job was not as good as theirs.

I dont see why it would be much different in Thailand. I am sure its more nationalistic so there might be a larger percentage that does not like you.. Why worry so much.. and i have been here for 6 years or more now.

• Like 2