Amazingly Good Website On Dhmo

Surprisingly I found no mention of solid DHMO fallout which anually plagues my home region, the northeastern United States. This fallout requires removal, by hazardous and strenuous manual means (gloves or mittens required) or with the use of heavy equipment, and negatively impacts transportation. Solid DMHO fallout affects school children, requiring them to stay home from school. Solid DHMO fallout can also be fashioned into deadly projectiles by terror-seeking individuals. And there are even some reports of cloning using solid DMHO fallout. I am happy that I'll be missing the solid DHMO fallout season this year, but may get a taste of it when I return for a brief visit in early January.

• 2 weeks later...

Comments from Scientific American regarding the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division website:

Despite a newfound sympathy for the plight of the employed, one can still wonder just what the heck the people with the job of being city councilors in Aliso Viejo, Calif., were thinking in March. They had scheduled a vote on banning foam cups at city events, because the dangerous compound dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is used in their manufacture. DHMO is, of course, a clever chemi-calumnious way to say "water." The council members were probably all steamed up by a subtly satiric Web site (www.dhmo.org) that lists some of the dangers associated with DHMO and points out that it is used in the production of Styrofoam. The Web site also includes warnings such as a danger of "death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities"; "prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage"; and DHMO "is a major component of acid rain." That's drowning, frostbite and the rain part, for those keeping score at home.

The Web site also states that "research conducted by award-winning U.S. scientist Nathan Zohner concluded that roughly 86 percent of the population supports a ban on dihydrogen monoxide." In 1997 Zohner was a 14-year-old high school student in Idaho who won a science fair with his survey about DHMO. He cited the potential negatives, as on the Web site, and 43 of the 50 people he asked thought the compound should be banned.

Some Web criticism about the Aliso Viejo ruckus was aimed at environmentalists, who were accused of having engendered a sky-is-falling mentality across our great nation. I just assumed, however, that the ease with which Zohner's subjects and the city council got punked showed the need for better science education. Which might also decrease the misunderestimation of some jobs, such as quarterback or global climate researcher.