Re-Entry Permit Not Possible On Extension Of Stay - For Visiting Child?

Just got a 60 day extension for visiting my daughter. 5 days into the extension I had to leave the country. Tried to get a re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi Airport, but was told it was not possible to do this on this kind of extension, only on a Visa.

I assume they were right. No big deal, can go to CW to get a new another 60 days if I want.

Most re-entry permits are indeed issued for extensions of stay rather than visa entry (almost all). This is the first time I have seen any report of a re-entry permit not being allowed for any type of permitted to stay.

Interesting.....

I filled out the form online, printed it out, had photos etc. The first guy at the counter (by the way - it seems they open at 06:00am) seemed a bit confused, went "behind the counters" to talk to someone else. A "young" Thai female immigration officer came out to see me. She said it was not possible. She said she had never seen this before, and that it was possible only on visa.

I asked her again in a "very" polite way if she was sure that it was not possible.

Maybe I will send a formal inquiry to the Immigration Department to get a formal answer. (Wouldnt be surprised if they never reply though).

Just got a 60 day extension for visiting my daughter. 5 days into the extension I had to leave the country. Tried to get a re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi Airport, but was told it was not possible to do this on this kind of extension, only on a Visa.

I assume they were right. No big deal, can go to CW to get a new another 60 days if I want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know for sure about the re-entry problems on the airport.

But so far i know the re-entry should not be a problem as you only keep your extension of stay end date valid.

But be aware that the 60 days extension based on Thai child can only be used once a year.

Edited by merijn

But so far i know the re-entry should not be a problem as you only keep your extension of stay end date valid.

But be aware that the 60 days extension based on Thai child can only be used once a year.

Thai Immigration Interpretation of the regulations does vary from area to area, but the general rule is one 60 day 'Visiting Wife/Child' extension per border entry, not once per year.

Thai Immigration Interpretation of the regulations does vary from area to area, but the general rule is one 60 day 'Visiting Wife/Child' extension per border entry, not once per year.

Maybe but not in Phuket, Only once a year is the norm there.