Outrageous Bank Fee

This morning I went to my bank (K-Bank) to have my bank book updated. I needed a 6 month statement but I was told that there is a 200 Baht fee. I find this outrageous to charge customers with such a fee for an employee, at headquarters, to press a button on his computer and print a statement.

I first talked to the Customers Agent who didn't want to hear anything so she called someone at headquarters, whom in return didn't want to hear anything either and stated that this was the policy. I firmly told the person that having a policy doesn't make it automatically a GOOD policy and that they were blatantly robbing customers. Angrily, I then turned to the Branch Manager whom in less than 20 seconds waived the fee. I wasn't asking for any favors, but to be treated fairly and charging 200 Baht (5 euros) for a piece of printed paper is just not right at all. I'm just sick to have to come to this point not to be treated like a mere walking wallet. This is a Rip-off !!

Does anyone (Thais & Farangs) feel the same?

Edited by Polanskiman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I feel the same, I have also found that K Bank seems to have the highest "extra" fee and charges, I voted with my feet, shut all the accounts there and changed over to Citibank, where for the first time in Thailand banking I feel that I am treated as "the customer" NO FEES at all, having said that as I do most of my transactions online I would not expect fees either, the best part is they yes THEY offered me a 45 day interest free platinum visa card with NO credit/history check and NO weird conditions attached ( like having X amount in there bank as secuirty ), I can highly recommend them, also you can use ANY ATM in the world!! and not be hit with fees...nice one Citi,

Yes I feel the same, I have also found that K Bank seems to have the highest "extra" fee and charges, I voted with my feet, shut all the accounts there and changed over to Citibank, where for the first time in Thailand banking I feel that I am treated as "the customer" NO FEES at all, having said that as I do most of my transactions online I would not expect fees either, the best part is they yes THEY offered me a 45 day interest free platinum visa card with NO credit/history check and NO weird conditions attached ( like having X amount in there bank as secuirty ), I can highly recommend them, also you can use ANY ATM in the world!! and not be hit with fees...nice one Citi,

Bloody hell...the service you got from K-bank must have been really cr*p.....and service with Citibank in Thailand is next to useless as well...rolleyes.gif ...

.I am with Citibank in Singapore and a citigold account holder and popped into Citibank citigold lounge in Bangkok were I am assured I will receive the same of sevice anywhere in the world with a realtively simple query and they were absolutely unless...in the end I phoned my RM in Singapore on their phone and he fixed the problem very quickly and professionally, and he was even laughing himself at how usless they were in BKK..

Citibank Singapore - biggrin.png

Citibank Bangkok - angry.png

Not so sure about your statement above regarding "NO FEES." See this Citibank link for their deposit account/loan fee schedule. And here's a Citibanb Link regarding their credit card fee schedule.

If I remember correctly, the only Citibank branch in Bangkok is at Asok (can't remember the name of the building). Is that where you opened your account? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, these days in service industries such as banking, one of the modus operandi they use seems to amount to "get a fee out of anybody that will accept it and not make a fuss." If you do make a fuss, they don't want to hear about it, don't want to argue it with you, and don't want to change the policy for the future. But they will pacify you by waiving the fee for you. At least this time. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and they keep collecting their fee from everyone else.

Frankly, I don't like becoming a complainer, but I also don't like getting ripped off either. I really resent these outfits bringing out a part of my personality I don't want to be, just to stand up for my rights. They know they will get away with it and get most people to go ahead and pay the fee rather than complaining.

That's big business and the world we live in these days.

• Like 2

Not so sure about your statement above regarding "NO FEES." See this Citibank link for their deposit account/loan fee schedule. And here's a Citibanb Link regarding their credit card fee schedule.

Yes there are fee's on your account if you hold less than US25k in one of their accounts...certainly the case in Singapore...above this they waiver fee's

Edited by Soutpeel

Banks everywhere are the same - charging fees for all services, etc.

At my bank in America, I was charged $35 for a late payment fee on my credit card. The minimum payment was $181 and I only paid $180! When I complained about being charged $35 for a $1 shortage, they credited it back. But, if I hadn't spoken up, the charge would have remained.

You'd better not ask for a bank statement from a UK bank then OP if you get your knickers in a twist over 200 Baht.

LOL...how very true..

That's the exact attitude the Bank is expecting: "say nothing, shut up and follow like sheep... and please, thank us for ripping you off"!!!

If no one says anything then this kind of malpractice will continue. You might not care for 200 Baht but the majority of people who don't earn that much money do. I'm sorry, but 5 Euros for a piece of paper is nowhere near fair price, at least not for me.

By the way, my bank in France doesn't charge me for anything when I request statements even 3 years old, when I do interbank transfers, or national transfers either.

• Like 1

Same here, Update your book - Free

Print statements on Cyber Banking - Free

I repeat, Cyber Banking only allows 3 month max. As for the book bank, well I will from now on so not to fall in the same rip off campaign again.

I accept the 3 mths max...print them off monthly,

I dont accept the 'rip off'; its a charge the Bank makes for that particular service.

Why is it that whenever people get a charge they dont agree with its a rip off, why do you expect this service for free?

As already stated if you think a few hundred baht is a rip off try banking in the UK!!

Edited by Tafia

I repeat, Cyber Banking only allows 3 month max. As for the book bank, well I will from now on so not to fall in the same rip off campaign again.

I dont accept the 'rip off'; its a charge the Bank makes for that particular service.

Why is it that whenever people get a charge they dont agree with its a rip off, why do you expect this service for free?

As already stated if you think a few hundred baht is a rip off try banking in the UK!!

We have to go to France. It's all free in France.

Like Free Beer down my local pub -it was fantastic, but it didn't last long.

200 Baht? Sorry, but is that really a big issue?? $6 USD??!!? Once again, at the risk of upsetting some of my fellow expats...if you can't afford to live here and stop worrying about every Baht then...maybe you shouldn't be here.

LIke on poster replied, unless you have a large balance I dont know any bank who doesn't charge these days. Is certainly not unique to Thailand.

• Like 1

We have to go to France. It's all free in France.

Like Free Beer down my local pub -it was fantastic, but it didn't last long.

The problem is not the fee in itself but the amount, which I can understand. I don't expect it to be free. The problem is that 200 baht is excessive for the service provided. If you consider it, 200 Baht is the equivalent to 4 street meals (5 euros). I bet you that they don't charge that equivalent in the UK, do they? If they do, then you should change banks or maybe you like giving your money for nothing in which case, I can't say anything about it. Perhaps you should widen your way of thinking and realize that you are in Thailand where the average wage is somewhere around 25.000 baht.

Luckily, it is free with my bank in France, and no, everything is not free in France, unfortunately. But clearly I wont open any account in the UK since they like to charge people excessively... and banks are not the only thing expensive in the UK by the way. Food, rent and nearly everything else is more expensive than in the rest of Europe. That's why I went there once, not twice. Some, like to throw money from the windows, I don't. Too bad for those it bothers.

The problem is not the fee in itself but the amount, which I can understand. I don't expect it to be free. The problem is that 200 baht is excessive for the service provided. If you consider it, 200 Baht is the equivalent to 4 street meals (5 euros). I bet you that they don't charge that equivalent in the UK, do they? If they do, then you should change banks or maybe you like giving your money for nothing in which case, I can't say anything about it. Perhaps you should widen your way of thinking and realize that you are in Thailand where the average wage is somewhere around 25.000 baht.

Luckily, it is free with my bank in France, and no, everything is not free in France, unfortunately. But clearly I wont open any account in the UK since they like to charge people excessively... and banks are not the only thing expensive in the UK by the way. Food, rent and nearly everything else is more expensive than in the rest of Europe. That's why I went there once, not twice. Some, like to throw money from the windows, I don't. Too bad for those it bothers.

There was no mention in the opening post of you being happy to pay a fee.

Ever tried buying a meal in Paris ?

Ever paid an 'on the spot fine' in Thailand ?

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 1