Experiences In Moving To Thailand

Mr Red

Have been planning for years to move here with my Thai wife of 41 years and finally made it. We arrived around Christmas time and since then we have been finding a place to live and immersing myself in how to live in Thailand 101. The advice and info I gathered from Thai Visa over the years has proven to be invaluable, with the best piece of advice being something along the line of not believing a thing you are told by officials or folks like bank employees and to continue pressing until you get what you need.

Since we have been here, I have rented a car, rented a house (only to give it up before we moved in), bought a house and opened a new bank account (joint with my wife). All along the way, there seemed to be roadblocks thrown in our way, some larger than others. These stumbling blocks continue to be placed in our way, but patience and sticking to our demands seems to be paying off. Let me illustrate.

When we arrived here, armed with a company benefit of 45 days temporary living expenses after a long international assignement, I thought we were starting the retirement without huge pressure to get a place right away, so we eased into the search. Hooked up with a western-run real estate agency that I thought would be good, but their rhetoric exceeded their capabilities and I had to dump them after about 10 days. We found another company and located an acceptable rental quickly. We signed a lease and paid a deposit with moving in scheduled for our furniture shipment arrival (mid-February). But then we located a brand-new house in a super development (known by wife's nephew living there), and ended up purchasing it. We managed to get a fair deal, discounted substantially from the original asking price and went for it. So far so good, but the house purchase process is a story all unto its own, so will save discussion on that for later.

Soon after I got here, I was told I could not get a Thai drivers license without a yellow Tabien ban, so buying a car right off was next to impossible, then was told by mulitple Bangkok bank branches that I could not open a joint bank account with my wife without all kinds of varied paperwork, and it just seemed to me the entire Thai culture was against me living here easily. Not to mention that getting me on the Tabien ban for the house my wife is buying seems questionable as of now, but we are working on that.

I tried to solve the problems as is my style, and worked around the car issue by leasing a car for a year (cost within bounds vs purchase). The agency fully accepted my US drivers license and all is well. Expect to solve the official residency accounting issues within next 2-3 months, so will be able to pursue the license at leisure. Today we solved the bank issue -- went to the main office of Bangkok bank and opened a joint account with my wife with only passport and US drivers license. They gave us two debit cards and set us up for iBanking web access (both things the branches said were impossible). Just to let you know, my wife has had an account here for years with Bangkok Bank and that was the conduit for the fund infusion to buy the house.

Obstacles remain ahead, but we have a car, a bank account, a house and we are moving forward with our lives here. It is interesting to note the similarity of dealing with government and institutions during my last assignment in Turkey. Perhaps that is where I learned to stick with it and push for solutions. I actually find it kind of amusing to observe the behavior and comments of low-level folks such as the bank branch employees that seem to delight in telling us how many ways something cannot be done, even if their main bank seems to think all is fine. Laziness, pure and simple.

I look forward to solving future problems and establishing a good life here in Thailand. I refuse to let the naysayers get to me and spoil my retirement here. I welcome any and all comments as I ease into life in this great country.

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say what your immigration status is in Thailand. Assuming you have a 1-year Non-O visa or will convert to such, buying a car and getting a driving licence are relatively simple. You get a letter (2 copies) from your local immigration office confirming you are in the country legally, and your address, give one to the dealer from whom you buy the car so it can be registered in your name, submit the other with your US driving licence to support a driving licence application, which is granted subject to a few eyesight and reaction tests.

I doubt whether you can get onto your wife's blue Tabien Baan, which doubles as a Voters Register for Thai citizens. I haven't got a yellow Tabien Baan and having been here 2.1/2 years don't feel the need for one. The most valuable document you can have IMHO is a Thai driving licence, which is accepted as equivalent to an id card virtually everywhere, including getting into tourist attractions and national parks at the Thai price.

Final tip:- unless you can already speak Thai, get some Thai lessons from a reputable professional teacher. I only got around to this recently, and now realise I should have done it 2 years ago.

Driving licence is easy, all you need is a certificate of residency (Either from Thai immigration, cheap, or your embassy, expensive or a WP or a yellow tabian ban book) and a driving medical certificate from any hospital or clinic for about 100bht. Anyone who tells you different is wrong.

Joint bank account only causes problems, easy to open an account on your own with a passport, and maybe your wifes ID card (some banks)

You are a very generous man, buying your wife a house with no strings attached. I prefer to rent.

You are a very generous man, buying your wife a house with no strings attached

At least he is married, which entitles him to 50%. smile.png

Not any more, the judges are now accepting your declaration at the land office as evidence it's totally hers.

huh.png , Glad l don't live where you live. coffee1.gif

Not any more, the judges are now accepting your declaration at the land office as evidence it's totally hers.

huh.png , Glad l don't live where you live. coffee1.gif

Yes. I find this hard to believe.

You don't say what your immigration status is in Thailand. Assuming you have a 1-year Non-O visa or will convert to such, buying a car and getting a driving licence are relatively simple. You get a letter (2 copies) from your local immigration office confirming you are in the country legally, and your address, give one to the dealer from whom you buy the car so it can be registered in your name, submit the other with your US driving licence to support a driving licence application, which is granted subject to a few eyesight and reaction tests.

I doubt whether you can get onto your wife's blue Tabien Baan, which doubles as a Voters Register for Thai citizens. I haven't got a yellow Tabien Baan and having been here 2.1/2 years don't feel the need for one. The most valuable document you can have IMHO is a Thai driving licence, which is accepted as equivalent to an id card virtually everywhere, including getting into tourist attractions and national parks at the Thai price.

Final tip:- unless you can already speak Thai, get some Thai lessons from a reputable professional teacher. I only got around to this recently, and now realise I should have done it 2 years ago.

The key here was having an address to report. As we were in the process of acquiring a place to live, that was not available.

Immigration status is here on O-A one year visa.

Drivers license folks said I need better proof of residency, so I am hoping for either showing up on wife's tabien ban or being able to pursue a yellow one later. No real issue now as I am driving fine with a rental car.

Finally, Thai lessons are probably first on my list -- issue is mainly that the schools are almost all located downtown, so traveling from the area of Srinakarinda and the ring road downtown will be challenging. Looking perhaps for a tutor in my area.

Have not experienced this yet, but will be on lookout for. Some discussion on declaring the money moved into the country for this was solely my wife's money, but have not filled out that form yet at all, nor do we intend to.

I too don't understand your licence problems, but did go through some of the same problems opening an account and that was just for me. Tried many local branches only to be told "cannot" At the BB head office they told me it's down to lack of knowledge at the local branches and a fear of getting something wrong, so easier to say cannot, not so much laziness. Now I have the account I have no problems doing anything at my local branch.

All the best on your retirement.

Finally, Thai lessons are probably first on my list -- issue is mainly that the schools are almost all located downtown, so traveling from the area of Srinakarinda and the ring road downtown will be challenging. Looking perhaps for a tutor in my area.

What part of Srinarkarin ? , there is a school on the soi between Central Bang-Na and the big C, alternately I do know a private tutor, PM me if you want details.

Drivers license folks said I need better proof of residency,

How do you know?

Do you speak Thai?

Did they speak English?

or did 'someone else' tell you they said that, maybe someone who would want you 'dependent' on them a little bit more (not uncommon).

Quite frankly, you are having so many problems with such simple things, makes me wonder if a bit of sabotage is going on.

I always get such stuff done on my own, my wife doesn't need to know about my business.

Edited by ludditeman

What part of Srinarkarin ? , there is a school on the soi between Central Bang-Na and the big C, alternately I do know a private tutor, PM me if you want details.

Srinakarin is basically an extension of Bangkok - I'd second the advice to learn Thai, you can get to the Bang Na UTL branch easily and can study intensively in the 4-hour morning classes seeing as you are retired. It's well worth it and just the same quality as the UTL branch in Asoke as most of the teachers work at both, but your Thai must already be pretty decent after 4 decades of marriage. On the same road is also a full Bangkok Bank branch just along from Big C, which is helpful. And some great furniture shops.

My main point is, don't feel you're out of the way if you're on Srinakarin!

Edited by aussiebebe

I like the post by the OP as a newcomer-resident to Thailand.

His was a very good report illustrating the typical kinds of obstacles that are thrown in farangs' faces by various levels of Thai government and businesses...oftentimes with incorrect advice or instructions.

But the good thing about the OP's post was, he responded to the various kinds of B.S. he was facing with calm and persistent patience.... which is probably the best way of combating that kind of stuff here.

Some folks go ballistic and ranting when they encounter that kind of stuff, and that certainly doesn't help usually in dealing with the bank or government blockheads. And it's usually likely only to hurt... But with patience and persistence, most obstacles -- though not all -- can be overcome here.

Of course, it sounds like the OP has been married only a few years less than I've been alive. So perhaps he's gotten past his ranting and raving stage -- unlike some of us relative young-ins, who still fly off the handle sometimes when very severely provoked. biggrin.png

I believe the blue tabien ban is for Thai citizens only. Unless you persue residency and citizenship you will have to settle for the yellow version. There's plenty of good advice in the visa sub-forum. Good luck for you and your wife.

BTW, I should have added... that's one of the most invaluable things about ThaiVisa...

Being, if you learn to pay attention to the folks here who know their stuff on various subjects, it's a great place to sort out and navigate the differences between what you've been told you can and can't do vs. what you really can and can't do.

PS - I also should have added, congrats to the OP on 41 years and running with the same Thai wife...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

OP, since you are in Bangkok you just need to go to your embassy and get them to issue you a address letter that acts as proof of your address when dealing with Thai government. Immigration letter is the norm outside Bangkok but in BKK the embassy letter is the norm.

• Armed with this letter, medical cert, your passport and your US DL you can get Thai driving licence
  • With this letter you can buy and register a car on your name
  • You can also buy and register a car on your wife's name with her Thai ID card and her blue tabien baan any day

For tabien baan books:

• Foreigners can not be recorded in blue book (unless you have permanent residency permit but that's different ball game then)
  • You can get so called yellow book, the process needs bit running around including your embassy

If your set up for now you might want to do the yellow book first and then use that for DL and car registrations etc. As that's what it good for, to prove your address on these. Otherwise not much use.

Oh and for bank accounts, i'd open one for your own name only if your going to one year extension of stay based on money in bank. I understood joint account is not good for it.

For retirement-based extensions of stay, if the farang applicant is relying on bank deposits to satisfy Thai Immigration's financial requirement, and if the account he's using for that purpose is a joint account in the wife's name also, then Immigration will only count half of the actual deposit amount as being his. So yes, indeed, that can be a problem with joint accounts that people try to use to satisfy the 800,000 baht Immigration financial requirement.

But, there's nothing stopping the OP from keeping the joint account with the wife and just keeping or opening a separate account in his name only for purpose of keeping the deposit amount required by Immigration. And those funds only have to be in that account at least three months prior to his subsequent applications for extension of stay. The rest of the year, he can keep the funds wherever he pleases.

I wonder what obstacles Mr Red actually managed to overcome?

So far he has failed to get a bank account in his own name, failed to buy a car, failed to get a driving licence, failed to rent a house and failed to get a yellow tabian ban book.

He did buy his wife a house, but that is a 'sort of failure' as when he came over here, he didn't want to buy one.

Edited by ludditeman

For retirement-based extensions of stay, if the farang applicant is relying on bank deposits to satisfy Thai Immigration's financial requirement, and if the account he's using for that purpose is a joint account in the wife's name also, then Immigration will only count half of the actual deposit amount as being his. So yes, indeed, that can be a problem with joint accounts that people try to use to satisfy the 800,000 baht Immigration financial requirement.

True but also he only needs 400k or 40k monthly income since he is married to a Thai

Congrats OP sounds like your moving right along!

Srinakarin is basically an extension of Bangkok - I'd second the advice to learn Thai, you can get to the Bang Na UTL branch easily and can study intensively in the 4-hour morning classes seeing as you are retired. It's well worth it and just the same quality as the UTL branch in Asoke as most of the teachers work at both, but your Thai must already be pretty decent after 4 decades of marriage. On the same road is also a full Bangkok Bank branch just along from Big C, which is helpful. And some great furniture shops.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Where's the UTL Bang Na located? Their web page only lists Asoke location. Was going to sign up in Asoke but if they have branch in Bang Na that will work wonders for me.

Have not experienced this yet, but will be on lookout for. Some discussion on declaring the money moved into the country for this was solely my wife's money, but have not filled out that form yet at all, nor do we intend to.

Are you aware of the legalities involving this? The declaration of ownership of funds used to purchase land is a requirement.

My understanding is that not doing this could land the both of you (and her title to the land) into a spot of bother. I have never heard of a genuine partner being caught up in this issue, but if there is a legal loophole left open it might be better to close it.

Our house is in Nantanwan Srinakarin, which is at the intersection of ring road and Srinakarin. One of the reasons we bought there was the availability of all the things we need/want in this general area without the horrible traffic like downtown or Ladphrao, Ramkahaeng areas.

UTL is actually my first choice for a school based on research I have done, so if they have a branch in Bang Na that would be great. I just checked their website again and could not find any mention of this branch, but will call them today. Thanks for the tip.

Red,

I hope that you have effectively severed your ties to the state where you lived so that you are not liable for state income taxes. As you probably know tax domicile rules vary from state to state and are not based on a common sense idea of where you live. For instance, you will want to surrender your US driver's license as soon as possible.

True but also he only needs 400k or 40k monthly income since he is married to a Thai

Congrats OP sounds like your moving right along!

Yes, right, thanks for clarifying that... the required amounts are 400,000 baht Thai bank deposit for someone seeking a marriage to Thai-based extension, and 800,000 baht for someone seeking a retirement-based extension.

But the joint bank accounts issue would apply in either case. Thai Immigration will only credit half of the applicant's actual bank deposit amount if the extension applicant has their deposit in a joint bank account with another person.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Red,

I hope that you have effectively severed your ties to the state where you lived so that you are not liable for state income taxes. As you probably know tax domicile rules vary from state to state and are not based on a common sense idea of where you live. For instance, you will want to surrender your US driver's license as soon as possible.

I had never heard that about a US drivers license...Could you expand on what the implications are?