Why Buy An Isuzu D-Max

albhol

I like the Isuzu. The minimal  smaller body proportions compared to the competition, are OK.

The 2.5 engine has a reputation of economical  and to be robust. The dealership is huge and  replacement parts seems to be cheap.

But the 5-speed automatic transmission  makes me wonder...

if Isuzu really use outdated technology and if Ford, Mazda and Chervolet drives on the passing lane?

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you sort of mention it yourself.

Robust, cheap to run, cheap spare parts and economical on fuel.

I am not tempted at all, if I buy a truck it will be Ranger or Mazda, latest models.

Was hoping my thoughts are not complet or tainted with prejudice...

Well you sort of mention it yourself.

Robust, cheap to run, cheap spare parts and economical on fuel.

I am not tempted at all, if I buy a truck it will be Ranger or Mazda, latest models.

Was hoping my thoughts are not complet or tainted with prejudice...

above statements are often used about dated tech, is there any documentation dmax 2012 is more economical, robust and cheaper spareparts than competition?

I am buying the number of dealership thing for Izu, which again is outnumbered by Toyota, but not the rest until I see it proved

I know a few expats including myself who own the D-Max. Mine is a 2009 4x4 which I bought for comfort (for a truck), solid engine with best in class economy and strong residuals, large dealership network, cheap to run and easy to sell on. The new model looks good inside, more powerful engine and better brakes. The front view camera is a good new idea as are the sensible accessories such as cargo dividers, cargo net and bike rack. I'll have a look at the Ford and Mzda when I come to change but I'm not struck on the looks (especially the Mazda) and I doubt they will have cast irnon residuals or be easy to sell on, but only time will tell.

I never understand these posts why not have a drive of what you like drive all the other similar model ranges and buy what you like the best, simple, easy, not a problem.

What ever you decide on why give a hoot about what anybody else says about it.

Only few can realize everything in a short test drive, I also appreciate the personal experience of the forum members. That is why I ask...

I never understand these posts why not have a drive of what you like drive all the other similar model ranges and buy what you like the best, simple, easy, not a problem.

Only few can realize everything in a short test drive, I also appreciate the personal experience of the forum members. That is why I ask...

Very true, its not possible to judge a car on a short test drive and I think you can get a lot of good info here, not that all is true but a good indicator.

i'm still trying to decide myself. My first gut reaction is the Ranger as it looks great all around. The 2.2L engine with high torque output is great and the 4x2 has limited slip differential. But it lacks the rear camera, navigation and stability control. Also my friends has had nothing but horror stories about her Ford Dealer and I've already experienced really bad service from the Ford sales reps as well as Ford not having the best reputation on reliability although the Ranger seems well built (new that is).

So I looked at Isuzu DMAX Hilander 3.0 last week and again tonight. Materials don't seems as good as FOrd or Mazda. However it has a better reputation and has stability control, rear camera and navi. Rationally it seems like a better all around truck.

Ford's huge and comprehensive marketing campaign they've rolled out plays seems to be effective. Numerous youtube videos of FOrd engineers showing off the new technology. 95% of the written reviews I've read seem to have been paid for. As well I think the exterior and interior looks of the Ranger may play to an emotional response.

more powerful engine

I thought Izuzu carried over their old engines into the new vehicle.

The new 2.5L has now VGS, is more powerful 144 hp ? I think, and has a 5 speed auto box. If it had been about same time as I purchased my 3L Auto Vigo double cab, definitely would have considered it.

I've driven 120,000Km in my late-2006 3.0l 4x4 D-Max. Never had any problem with the car, besides 2 dead batteries. Drives well, quiet on motorway at 120-140, comfortable and still scrubs up well if I can be bothered. I'd not hesistate to replace it with the new one if I needed to.

Only few can realize everything in a short test drive, I also appreciate the personal experience of the forum members. That is why I ask...

Very true, its not possible to judge a car on a short test drive and I think you can get a lot of good info here, not that all is true but a good indicator.

Back in 2003 when I was to purchase my first car here, I rented some. Loved the looks of the 4 door DMax and found a 4x4 auto new rental for 3 days. Ended up buying a CRV.

Have plenty of friends with DMax top spec 2003-2011. Know many farmers with 2 doors. Theyr all happy with them, some have had minor bio diesel issues 10-15k baht repairs. They all have one thing in common, theyr not interested in specs as brakes, engines, auto or performance. Which is probably why izu can keep their old engines in new model

Back in 2003 when I was to purchase my first car here, I rented some. Loved the looks of the 4 door DMax and found a 4x4 auto new rental for 3 days. Ended up buying a CRV.

Have plenty of friends with DMax top spec 2003-2011. Know many farmers with 2 doors. Theyr all happy with them, some have had minor bio diesel issues 10-15k baht repairs. They all have one thing in common, theyr not interested in specs as brakes, engines, auto or performance. Which is probably why izu can keep their old engines in new model

I'm sorry but the last bit of your quote doesn't match the facts. The brakes (although not brilliant) are adequate for a truck, the performance of the old model was the equal of the Vigo, the new one is outgunned by 20bhp by the Ford/Mazda. I expect in real world conditions for the majority of drivers that means very little. The engine is noisy outside the truck but not inside and has far superior longevity and economy than its competitors. Also they haven't just kept the same engine as the new one puts out 180 bhp and the old one was 163 bhp. At the end of the day no matter what KBB thinks it will outsell the Ranger/weird looking Mazda. I've seen stacks of new D-Max here in Rayong but not a single Ranger/weird Mazda.

I'm sorry but the last bit of your quote doesn't match the facts. The brakes (although not brilliant) are adequate for a truck, the performance of the old model was the equal of the Vigo, the new one is outgunned by 20bhp by the Ford/Mazda. I expect in real world conditions for the majority of drivers that means very little. The engine is noisy outside the truck but not inside and has far superior longevity and economy than its competitors. Also they haven't just kept the same engine as the new one puts out 180 bhp and the old one was 163 bhp. At the end of the day no matter what KBB thinks it will outsell the Ranger/weird looking Mazda. I've seen stacks of new D-Max here in Rayong but not a single Ranger/weird Mazda.

No doubt Isuzu brand name will outsell Mazda and Ford in Thailand for possibly another decade. But in Thailand only. The rest of the world require more.

DMax kept their old fashioned 3,0 diesel 120 hp, 220 Nm to 2006, then forced into commonrail age by Euro III emision in TH. In 2002 Toyota Hilux started commonrail, iniltially 130hp as I recall, in October 2004 it was 163hp/345Nm, some 50% more than DMax 3,0

2002-2011 DMax brakes managing 100-0kmh in 55-72 meters where never adequate. Competition managed 43-50 meters. The last meters are mortal. I assume we do not need to go into its 90s 3 sensor ABS system

I was driving a 2011 Dmax with all the whistels and bells a few weeks ago. Its stone age, except for the screens and cameras

No doubt Isuzu brand name will outsell Mazda and Ford in Thailand for possibly another decade. But in Thailand only. The rest of the world require more.

DMax kept their old fashioned 3,0 diesel 120 hp, 220 Nm to 2006, then forced into commonrail age by Euro III emision in TH. In 2002 Toyota Hilux started commonrail, iniltially 130hp as I recall, in October 2004 it was 163hp/345Nm, some 50% more than DMax 3,0

2002-2011 DMax brakes managing 100-0kmh in 55-72 meters where never adequate. Competition managed 43-50 meters. The last meters are mortal. I assume we do not need to go into its 90s 3 sensor ABS system

I was driving a 2011 Dmax with all the whistels and bells a few weeks ago. Its stone age, except for the screens and cameras

It's clear you don't like Isuzu. As I'm not a shareholder or an employee of Isuzu I don't give a dam_n. A large proportion of Thais and expats buy them for the reasons I've stated and this is the topic. Just to reiterate for the OP people buy them for; price, class leading economy, class leading longevity and a good all round package. As a motor for this country the new one makes alot of sense.

It's clear you don't like Isuzu. As I'm not a shareholder or an employee of Isuzu I don't give a dam_n. A large proportion of Thais and expats buy them for the reasons I've stated and this is the topic. Just to reiterate for the OP people buy them for; price, class leading economy, class leading longevity and a good all round package. As a motor for this country the new one makes alot of sense.

coffee1.gif Perhaps you are a bit blinkered to the facts.

I've seen stacks of new D-Max here in Rayong but not a single Ranger/weird Mazda.

It's the same up north. Seen quite a lot of new Dmax, but only 2 Rangers.

Maybe that's 'cos they're only for the home market, no one else wants them? Looks like most of the Rangers are being exported to Australia

Please go back to post #16 and you will see i like the looks of Isuzu Dmax 2002-2011. A lot.

However on performance and specs I find it to fail. Price, class leading economy, class leading longevity, where do you get these "facts" from?

I know queit a few "taxi" tuna owners with +400k km on their motors, and a bunch of Vigo doing +100k km a year. I am not sayong they are more durable than DMax, as numbers are far to few to tell

It seems that the Isuzus technique really  is not the latest. 

For me as a non technician is this recognizable at the 5-gear automatic. 

The question is, what advantage would a 6-gear automatic transmission on Thailand's roads (typical highway speed of approximately 100 km/h) give.

The safety of the occupants would be interesting

at Isuzu, there seems to be no evidence yet.

Think everyone has his legitimate arguments, it is probably a matter of position, but I'm interested in other possible points of view...

It seems that the Isuzus technique really is not the latest.

The question is, what advantage would a 6-gear automatic transmission on Thailand's roads (typical highway speed of approximately 100 km/h) give.

Think everyone has his legitimate arguments, it is probably a matter of position, but I'm interested in other possible points of view...

4,5,6 speed autos, hmmmm, really depends on low end torque and if you are a street racer in a truck. Toyota ''perhaps'' haven't bothered going to a 5 or 6 speed auto cos the torque numbers on their diesels are very high at low RPM.

I've seen stacks of new D-Max here in Rayong but not a single Ranger/weird Mazda.

It's the same up north. Seen quite a lot of new Dmax, but only 2 Rangers.

Maybe that's 'cos they're only for the home market, no one else wants them? Looks like most of the Rangers are being exported to Australia

Seeing plenty of Rangers around Chonburi. Current (delayed) Australian Ranger are coming from South Africa.

It seems that the Isuzus technique really is not the latest.

The question is, what advantage would a 6-gear automatic transmission on Thailand's roads (typical highway speed of approximately 100 km/h) give.

4,5,6 speed autos, hmmmm, really depends on low end torque and if you are a street racer in a truck. Toyota ''perhaps'' haven't bothered going to a 5 or 6 speed auto cos the torque numbers on their diesels are very high at low RPM.

in europe, where the buyers require more, vigo has come with a much better 5 speed for years

the 4 speed in TH vigo is annoying in one way, it revs to 4300rpm, while max hp is at 3400 so should shift at 3600 and continue on tourqe in next gear. as in the european 5 speeder. except for that, the old 4 speeder works great in vigo, at 160kmh a very relaxing 3000rpm

I do not really care if its a 5 or 6 speeder in these diesels, I do care if its adaptive, efficient and if the tiptronic (well thats vw language, so manual shift) works well

Starting to see more of the new D Max's in the republic of south Phetch, the locals love Isuzus up here.

There's always some sort of party going on at the towns dealership.

The rounded headlights take a bit of getting used to after years of seeing the square uns.

ph34r.png

Every so often I get the urge to buy a new pickup. I have a 2007 Ford Focus and although it has been trouble free, I can tell you that is absolutely the last car I will ever own in Thailand. I live upcountry and the roads are not fit for cars. I have hit two dogs with the Focus and each time it cost the insurance company big baht to replace all the plastic junk they call a bumper and grill. Because of those two claims, my insurance premiums have gone up rather than down.

I looked at all the various new pickups and decided that I liked the new 4X4 Isuzu the best. The only thing I didn't like about the Isuzu was that the open cab door idea they borrowed from Ford looked cheap and the fit wasn't the best.

To make a long story shorter I asked the dealer how much they would give me for the Focus on a trade in. My wife immediately gave me a dirty look and said the Ford is her car and we would be trading in my beloved 2004 Nissan Frontier. That wasn't going to happen so I saved a lot of money. There will be no new pickup in the near future for us. She keeps her car and I keep my truck.

I think all the Thailand diesel pickups are near bullet proof and any of them are a safe buy. IF I were buying a new truck, I would simply pick the one I liked best rather than a certain brand. I have no brand loyalty.