Carbonated Drinks - Is It A Poison?

ravip

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

• In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
  • 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
  • 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
  • 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
  • >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
  • >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
  • >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/

If we're going to have a real discussion we should at least resort to scientific arguments instead of referring to some questionable sources. Do your own research. Yeah surely the soda pops full of sugar aren't likely good for you but calling them poison just makes you look dumb.

Fortunately, I never developed a taste for carbonated drinks. I seldom got them when I was young and I guess just never developed the habit.

I've never done any research on them, but read somewhere that there is a link between carbonated drinks and throat cancer (?). I then cut out the occasional one with a meal. I still will drink some, but only if there is nothing else, like water or fruit juice to drink.

After having H-Pylori and getting an ulcer, my doc told me to avoid all carbonated drinks as the CO2 converts to acid in the stomach. Very bad he said. Avoid ice also as it causes the bile system and pancreas to not work correctly as a small temperature reduction there causes big system changes. So.... There probably is some truth in carbonated beverages not being good for you.

I assume you mean soft drinks. Anything sweetened by Aspartame is dangerous (See FDA history on the subject). Ordinary sugar is 50% fructose which when extracted from fruit affects enzymes in the stomach which prevent your brain from telling the body to stop eating. Ergo, you get fat. If you are truly interested in the damage which can be caused by soft drinks look on Google for David Gillespie and his books Sweet Poison and The Sweet Poison Quit Plan. Incidentally as beer is sweetened by maltose and conains no fructose it is fine to drink..in moderation of course.

If aspartame is dangerous why aren't there lots of poisoned/dead people? why is it licensed? Please stop using words like 'dangerous' Ordinary sugar is Sucrose!!!!!

From Wilkipaedia

The safety of aspartame has been the subject of several political and medical controversies, congressional hearings and internet hoaxes[3][4][5] since its initial approval for use in food products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1974. A 2007 medical review on the subject concluded that "the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener".[6] However, because its breakdown products include phenylalanine, aspartame must be avoided by people with the genetic condition phenylketonuria (PKU).

(BTW phenyalanine is another normal amino acid)

Phenylalanine is found naturally in the breast milk of mammals. It is used in the manufacture of food and drink products and sold as a nutritional supplement for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects. It is a direct precursor to the neuromodulatorphenylethylamine, a commonly used dietary supplement.

Edited by msg362
  • Like 1

I removed some unfounded rumours and unattributed info. Please, if you want to discuss health seriously, back up your argument by citing a credible source. Some nobody blog, or asking someone to "google it" is not citing a credible source. Discussing things in this forum isn't the same as a discussion in the general forum where you can just throw out things you heard through the grapevine. If you can't or won't back up your assertions, don't post them.

After I moved to Thailand I stopped drinking soft drinks,

Because all the healthy stuff is here and its cheap. In my soi I can buy freshly squeezed orange juice for 20 baht, They sell smoothies for 45 baht , any fruits or vegetables you want. And ice water. Or Green Tea with honey and lemon.

So no need to poison your body. Yes I try to take care of my body , we only live once....

Edited by balo

After having H-Pylori and getting an ulcer, my doc told me to avoid all carbonated drinks as the CO2 converts to acid in the stomach. Very bad he said. Avoid ice also as it causes the bile system and pancreas to not work correctly as a small temperature reduction there causes big system changes. So.... There probably is some truth in carbonated beverages not being good for you.

Er?? doesn't your stomach have hydrochloric acid in it? much stronger than carbonic acid ( CO2 dissolved in water essentially)

Edited by msg362

• 2 weeks later...

I think everything in moderation is ok. Why live life if you can't enjoy those naughty treats etc once in awhile.

Anything in excess (Exercise, medicine, drugs, alcohol, sex, thinking, Internet) is all not good for you.

The post regarding drinking 1 coke you automatically take in 10 tea-spoons of sugar etc. etc. Didn't mention anything about sugar-free colas. I'm diabetic and have been drinking sugar free drinks for 30 years and I'm not doing bad.