FLASH: 'QUEEN OF POP' WHITNEY HOUSTON HAS DIED

News_Editor

Hardly a News Flash, this story came out yesterday. A Great entertainer will be missed. She did a great cover of "I will always love you." Tragically a lot of the great entertainers die far to young. I would not want thier fame or way of life.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, the best singers were all white, Elvis, Roy Orbison Gene Pitney.

in your opinion - remind me again of the supposed reason that Elvis was so popular...

Wowzies. Can one really compare Whitney to Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald, or Pearl Bailey? All afro American, all women who had to face some terrible barriers, and all very honest, genuine folks that gave back to society.

Totally different era's. You are talking about 1930's really showing your age Geriatrickid. Ella is the only one I have heard mentioned before the others you speak of I have never heard of. I guess they were known in the U.S, where as whitney was known worldwide even in Thailand.

in your opinion - remind me again of the supposed reason that Elvis was so popular...

Wowzies. Can one really compare Whitney to Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald, or Pearl Bailey? All afro American, all women who had to face some terrible barriers, and all very honest, genuine folks that gave back to society.

Totally different era's. You are talking about 1930's really showing your age Geriatrickid. Ella is the only one I have heard mentioned before the others you speak of I have never heard of. I guess they were known in the U.S, where as whitney was known worldwide even in Thailand.

I have heard of all three and I am from the UK.

The point you are missing IS that they were from a different era. A time when music and lyrics were understandable, a time when there was no TV, no internet, no CDs, Ipods etc and if those artists were around in todays age it is very likely that they would still be stars.

They are from a time that men and women actually danced together, spoke to each other without Twitter, Facebook and all the rest of the modern day stuff.

The music they made was recorded on vynil.

I am sure that in those days drugs were available but relatively few people used them.

If Whitney Houston was around in those times do you think anybody in Thailand would know of them.

I am not knocking her but I also think that Diana Ross and the Supremes, Barbra Streisand were far better singers and actors but that was in their era and not Whitney's.

• Like 1

Drugs drugs drugs with no real friends other than acquaintances wanting money. The worlds Karaoke singers will be in pieces, I imagine Tokyo will be thronging to the sounds of "Saving all my ruv for you" this evening.

Or " I will arways ruv you". :-)

Hardly a News Flash, this story came out yesterday. A Great entertainer will be missed. She did a great cover of "I will always love you." Tragically a lot of the great entertainers die far to young. I would not want thier fame or way of life.

They had the heart and the courage to live their lives fully, the way they wanted to. Instead of ducking and hiding from their death, they faced their fears head-on and reminded us all what the human spirit is capable of. Too many people sit on the sidelines, usually betting that they stilll have many years in the future. Almost as if you gain bonus points the longer you breathe....

Life is for living. You die when its done.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

I know of and have listened to recordings of all three ladies. You could add Nina Simone and Etta James. It still doesn't take away from Whitney's talent. Do not be ungracious GK. Your earlier comment did not survive the cull on a remembrance thread. That should tell you something, if you care to listen.

There will be an outpouring of sadness at the Grammys tonite. It will not all be insincere....

Too young

48 is not young. The fact of the matter is that she squandered her career. She made the decisions that did that.

I'll wait for the autopsy before commenting further. However, this is one washed up singer I'm not going to mourn.

I've got to admit that I can't understand what all the hoopla is about, but she certainly was talented. huh.png

Too young

48 is not young. The fact of the matter is that she squandered her career. She made the decisions that did that.

I'll wait for the autopsy before commenting further. However, this is one washed up singer I'm not going to mourn.

For a teenager anyone over 30 is a fossile. When you get a little older you will realise that 48 is not really that old, it is middle aged for a woman.

Hardly a News Flash, this story came out yesterday.

Uh, she died 4pm local LA time, around 4 am local Thai time. That isn't yesterday, unless you are located in some other country...

It was on a news flash in Australia about 11.30 p.m last night, just a line along the bottom of the television screen saying that she had died. very little said no actual story.

Edited by chooka

Hardly a News Flash, this story came out yesterday.

Uh, she died 4pm local LA time, around 4 am local Thai time. That isn't yesterday, unless you are located in some other country...

It was on a news flash in Australia about 11.30 p.m last night, just a line along the bottom of the television screen saying that she had died. very little said no actual story.

Impossible, unless you guys live in an alternative reality.

Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Saturday, 11 February 2012, 16:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours

Melbourne (Australia - Victoria) Sunday, 12 February 2012, 11:00:00 EDT UTC+11 hours

Edited by TAWP

Michael Jackson a good singer, He has a voice like a wee schoolgirl, and I think the lest said about his background the better. Anyway, the best singers were all white, Elvis, Roy Orbison Gene Pitney.

Also add Jim Morrison from the Doors.....in my opinion

Some pretty tasteless and heartless statements coming out on this topic. I would bet if you put every poster together and compared how much Miss Houston did for people and the like to all of us. None of us would qualify to be a pimple on her arse

Such a talent, Singer, voice, looks and figure, she had the lot.

One thing is that at this time cause of death is not known, but understandably suspected to be substance abuse or as a result of many years using.

What is undeniable is the effect this had on her in the last decade or so, she lost her talented voice and looks and probably her life prematurely.

The angles may have taken her to sing with them, but at least in a modern era of electronic media we are able to keep memories of Whitney at her best.

Some pretty tasteless and heartless statements coming out on this topic. I would bet if you put every poster together and compared how much Miss Houston did for people and the like to all of us. None of us would qualify to be a pimple on her arse

Really? I can't think of any scholarships Whitney set up.How about patronship of some charities? Lena Horne, arguably one of the most beautiful and talented stars that graced the stage, film screen and recording studio did that. So did Ella Fitzgerald, an icon of jazz. I appreciate that some people enjoyed Miss Houston's music. Fine. I respect that and I won't belittle anyone for their own preferences. However, a pillar of philanthropy, she was not. Miss Houston didn't do much for anyone. Her contribution back to society was minimal.

Many of the stars that partied at the Clive Davis function while she lay in a non leak body bag upstairs, cried crocodile tears. The rending of garments will continue, the beating of the chests will thump and the tabloid induced despair will go on for a week or two as PR agents position their clients for poses showing their contrived sadness. The outpouring of statements from the music industry is so much hot air. Last month she was being ridiculed by the very same people now singing her praises in a performance worthy of North Korea.

GK, your points are taken, however, this lady died rather prematurely and abruptly. For a lot of people with money to burn, they are busy spending it and charitable contributions are made on the advice of their tax people.

She was as human as they get, with all the problems that plague humanity from the richest to the poorest.

Her legacy was a lovely voice and songs I will enjoy hearing for a very long time.