Thai Education Minister Suchart Welcomes 'Donations' To Schools

webfact

EDUCATION

Suchart welcomes 'donations' to schools

Supinda Na Mahachai,

Saowanee Nimpanpayungwong

The Nation

30175805-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej is set to legalise the acceptance of "tea money", which has long been described as bribery and a despicable custom.

His move, however, drew quick condemnation. Speaking to directors of famous schools via a teleconference about the admissions policy for the upcoming academic year, Suchart said yesterday: "I am not going to call it 'tea money'. I will call it 'a donation'".

He said schools that felt the subsidy provided by the Education Ministry was inadequate could call for donations from parents and open separate classrooms for their children.

"You can do that. You just have to make clear announcements and do so in a transparent manner," he said.

Suchart said financial donations from parents should be spent for the benefit of all students at schools given money. And the children of donors must have a fair level of academic knowledge. He did not think children with too poor academic results would be allowed into famous schools in exchange for donations.

The new minister said donations from well-off people had sustained educational services since time immemorial and it was common for schools to accept the children of donors.

Suchart urged famous schools, like demonstration schools Satri Wittaya and Suan Kularb Wittayalai, to double their support to less-equipped schools. He said the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) had found that more than 10,000 schools had quality problems.

Building Thailand Club president Amnuay Sunthornchote condemned Suchart's policy, saying that it would revive the practice of money-for-school seats that had nearly been stamped out.

"I am so disappointed with this new education minister," he said.

Amnuay vowed to take any action needed to stop the legalisation of the acceptance of "tea money".

Chulalongkorn University lecturer Assoc Prof Dr Sompong Jitradub said Suchart's school-admissions policy was not about sharing at all.

"It's not about using the rich people's money to benefit the poor. Rather, it's about injustice. Children of the powerful and the rich will have many more advantages," he said.

Sompong did not think famous schools would be able to take donations in a transparent manner for the benefit of all their students.

"In the end, at least some portion of the donated money will not go to schools but into the pocket of someone," he said.

Satri Wittaya School director Jamnong Jamjanwong also expressed concern about Suchart's admissions policy.

"I have to check further detail and the objective of this policy first. Any rush to implement it may lead to injustice and corruption," she said.

Jamnong felt the policy would be hard to implement.

"What if so many parents offer donations? What criteria will be used to choose students then?" she said.

Benjamarachalai School director Sumonrat Assatarakul suspected some miscommunication after she heard about the financial-donation-for-school-seats policy.

"This policy is clearly against the Obec admission regulations and this means it won't be possible to follow the policy," she said.

Obec secretary-general Chinnapat Bhumirat said in a separate interview that 290 schools were so popular that competition for seats there was fierce.

"But there are many other good schools for parents to consider too. Please check relevant information at a fair held by Obec at Impact Muang Thong Thani between March 15 and March 17," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-14

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear the "donations" paid to enable new students to enrol will benefit all students. It sounds though that if you donate your child gets "special treatment", while if you don't or cannot afford to, your child is treated as second class. If it is true, it is surprising, coming from a government that prides itself on being mandated to redress historic socio-economic disparities, and improve the welfare of all. It's looking like the Minister is both out of touch with his Goverment, and the electoral base.

how embarassing for the thai gov;t , ....seems the same the world over though ,......... governments are looking to the rich to make donations , its crazy , why does anyone need 9000000000000000000000000000000000000 dollars ?, capitalism gone mad , soooooooo many greedy b**tards out there watching their fellow humans living hand to mouth , struggling to get an education ,.............99% of wealth is owned by 1% ,................<deleted> !! sad ................... VIVE LA REVELUTION !!.....

Sorry,...........nearly started a coup then clap2.gif

• Like 1

What this does is flat out encourage the schools to ask for bribes from parents to get their kids into better schools. There is already so many bull@#!it costs associated with kids in schools here. Unbelieveable! Nothing wrong with asking for donations from community and parents if not attached to conditions of enrollment, etc.

• Like 1

how embarassing for the thai gov;t , ....seems the same the world over though ,......... governments are looking to the rich to make donations , its crazy , why does anyone need 9000000000000000000000000000000000000 dollars ?, capitalism gone mad , soooooooo many greedy b**tards out there watching their fellow humans living hand to mouth , struggling to get an education ,.............99% of wealth is owned by 1% ,................<deleted> !! sad ................... VIVE LA REVELUTION !!.....

Sorry,...........nearly started a coup then clap2.gif

Over the years I have been involved with the so called University system here, and its all about money. They use the pretext of caring about the students and offering all the fancy BS programs with fancy names, but its really like sign up, pay your money, put in a small effort, and your likely to pass. If not, well it's the teachers fault and BTW, we at least have some of your money. If I could only go further and tell you what I've learned from the experience, but not a good idea. Most, with experience, already know.

• Like 1

Glad to see a PT government minister is finally supporting the Amarat and the elite who can now pay for the privilage of a better education.

With each passing day the masters and minions of this government become increasingly drunk on the power their positions provide. They aspire (personally) to be like the elite (rich, powerful, influential and untouchable) they swore (lied) to rid Thai politics of. Different day - same shit lol.

Personally I'm all for this as I am middle class Bangkok (which = elite according to UDD etc.) so yeah, given the shocking record of terrible decisions that the parents of the poor/UDD/PTP supporters have made I definatly don't want my children sharing a classroom with their kids. Some of their poor decision making maybe contagious.

• Like 2

This is a truly tragic and awe-inspiring development in the slow downward-spiral that is education in Thailand. With policies like this (and the tablet fiasco), it's nearly impossible to see how Thais will be able to compete after the imminent ASEAN Economic Community integration. There is so much to be done in Thailand and yet at every turn, the authorities in this country seem intent to bleeding the system of any standards and quality. This latest move will (and hopefully temporarily/not-at-all) further exacerbate economic disparities and it could possibly further erode the image of Thailand's education. Currently, even students at Thai schools with the skills to survive abroad can attend elite schools in the U.K., the U.S., Europe and Asia. The official implementation of policies like this threatens the whole legitimacy of education in Thailand. This could truly jeopardize the chances of even wealthy students attending some of the more competitive international offerings (Eton, Phillips Andover, etc.). This is an official buy-your-diploma/degree program announcement.

At least one can take comfort knowing that this government is basically intent on just talking at everyone about all the wonderful initiatives they have on offer, rather than actually following-through on any of them. Thailand's educational administrative capacity is equivalent to about the power of an 90 year-old woman in a Hong Kong bus at rush hour. I wonder if school administrators will ever even hear that this was said, let alone implemented. And it won't change the fact that this policy has long been unofficially executed.

Edited by Unkomoncents

Glad to hear the "donations" paid to enable new students to enrol will benefit all students. It sounds though that if you donate your child gets "special treatment", while if you don't or cannot afford to, your child is treated as second class. If it is true, it is surprising, coming from a government that prides itself on being mandated to redress historic socio-economic disparities, and improve the welfare of all. It's looking like the Minister is both out of touch with his Goverment, and the electoral base.

It definitely sounds like the new classrooms paid for by legalized bribery will make better classrooms with internet to use those new tablets for only those children. Pity those that cannot afford to so. I agree, a setback, and a way to cover this governments gross fiscal irresponsibility.

So having robbed the budgets, to help pay for the laptops, the Minister now wants parents to top-up the money available to run schools, rather than get them what they need to do their work properly ?

Yay for Red-Shirt Education ! wink.pngcool.png

The people are getting what they voted for (or what they deserve, I'm not the judge). This guy is definitely institutionalizing corruption with this move. Give them free, super cheap tablets, then make them pay for the internet to use it, or wire the school so it has electric!!! Wow, PTP really got it right this time........

Nice, from conveniently ignoring corruption and trying to eradicate it now PTP makes it a policy.

The number one problem of Thailand is rampant corruption, and since PTP is pro corruption things are bound to get worse.

• Like 1

Nice, from conveniently ignoring corruption and trying to eradicate it now PTP makes it a policy.

The number one problem of Thailand is rampant corruption, and since PTP is pro corruption things are bound to get worse.

Wonder how amstedam would spin this?

• Like 1

Please, PTP supporters come out of your closets and support or oppose this idea. You must be all for it as your leader and his sister both have Phds from Texas yet cannot speak English. Surely then you are all in favour of buying a piece of paper without having the ability to actually earn it.

To say otherwise would go against your leader's record.

Come on out!

• Like 2

Waiting to hear the arguments how this is really "a good thing". Who is going to defend this policy? Come on Calgaryll, Lansford, and gang!

Thank you for asking Reasonable man and Soi Sauce^.

I made some inquiries, with the following points being made, in no particular order:

• This is nothing new. It has been going on for many years. To try and stop it would be well-nigh impossible.
  • Best to make it transparent.
  • Many schools ask parents for money. In an example personally experienced during my years of teaching English some time ago, was teaching at a local school where enrollment requests exeeded availablity. I recall seeing parents huddled with the Director, and it didn't take a genius to figure out what was happening.
  • In some cases, schools ask money from parents, in some cases parents urge money onto the school.
  • Questions need to be asked, where does this money go. To confront this would obviously be of concern to the Opposition, from whence this money flow mainly originates......frankly, that is where the money is.
  • Increased transparency and scrutiny is urged by the Minister for a practice that cannot be prevented. In other words, "follow the money".
  • Trying to prevent this practice would piss off a lot of parents, who are focussed on one particular school for their little Johnie or Sally. If it was prevented, they would find another way.
  • As opposed to engaging in self-righteous indignation about an established practice, sentiments could better be focussed on transparency of this issue.
  • But if it serves the Opposition to demonize the Education Minister by characterizing this practice a certain way, is par-for-the-course.
  • In particular, they have the MO of "laundering" their agenda through others. Many times creations of their own, but ostensibly separate. At the very least an entity of other Oppositional elements. I bet none of you have heard of "Building Thailand Club" as referenced in this article. I haven't either.
  • Have watched this Minister in action. Let me tell you, he relates to the people in a way Abhi. could only dream of doing. An impressive guy.

Edited by CalgaryII
  • Like 1

Waiting to hear the arguments how this is really "a good thing". Who is going to defend this policy? Come on Calgaryll, Lansford, and gang!

Thank you for asking Reasonable man.

I made some inquiries, with the following points being made, in no particular order:

• This is nothing new. It has been going on for many years. To try and stop it would be well-nigh impossible.
  • Many schools ask parents for money. In an example personally experienced during my years of teaching English some time ago, was teaching at a local school where enrollment requests exeeded availablity. I recall seeing parents huddled with the Director, and it didn't take a genius to figure out what was happening.
  • In some cases, schools ask money from parents, in some cases parents urge money onto the school.
  • Questions need to be asked, where does this money go. To confront this would obviously be of concern to the Opposition, from whence this money flow mainly originates......frankly, that is where the money is.
  • Increased transparency and scrutiny is urged by the Minister for a practice that cannot be prevented. In other words, "follow the money".
  • Trying to prevent this practice would piss off a lot of parents, who are focussed on one particular school for their little Johnie or Sally. If it was prevented, they would find another way.
  • As opposed to engaging in self-righteous indignation about an established practice, sentiments could better be focussed on transparency of this issue.
  • But if it serves the Opposition to demonize the Education Minister by characterizing this practice a certain way, is par-for-the-course.
  • In particular, they have the MO of "laundering" their agenda through others. Many times creations of their own, but ostensibly separate. At the very least an entity of other Oppositional elements. I bet none of you have heard of "Building Thailand Club" as referenced in this article. I haven't either.

Yawn...

Lots of totally meaningless words, another amsterdam graduate.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

This is a really good thing and the policy should be defended.

But back to the real world.......................

• Like 2

This is a really good thing and the policy should be defended.

But back to the real world.......................

LOL

Thank you for asking Reasonable man and Soi Sauce^.

• Have watched this Minister in action. Let me tell you, he relates to the people in a way Abhi. could only dream of doing. An impressive guy.

Gotta agree with that last phrase: an impressive guy. He sure makes an impression! cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thank you for clarifying the current Government's priorities, and your own view of the world. Democracy, is it? Truly inspirational, I mean "impressive" cheesy.gif

• Like 2

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej is set to legalise the acceptance of "tea money", which has long been described as bribery and a despicable custom.

Legalise corruption, that's one way of cleaning up the term. People will now be donating to a cause, and there will be no more corruption in Thailand.

Thank you for asking Reasonable man.

Yawn...

Lots of totally meaningless words, another amsterdam graduate.

Meaningless, soul-less platitudes, as usual. It's not corruption at all, once you legalise it. Denying the poor equal access to a quality education is GOOD! clap2.gif

• Like 1