11 Killed, 28 Injured In Bus-Truck Head-On Crash: Surin

webfact

Having travelled by some of the bus companies in Thailand I saw that some of the drivers don`t seem to realize how much responsibilty is to transport people. The people are just the bulk in the bus.

Probably, it is easy get a driving licence in Thailand. I know a tuk tuk driver whose sight is badly deteriorated. Yet driving everyday though.

Condolences to the families

The frequency of these crashes are rapidly turning the public transportation system here into a joke. The only notable part of this crash is that the driver could not do a runner......RIP to the victims, what a wasteful way to end lives....

It has never been anything other than a joke, if you like laughing at 20,000+ deaths per year.

What boggles the mind is their infuriating arrogance and stupidity behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I often point out this is how they really are behind the repressed emotions and I stick by that. The vast majority of them should be nowhere near a motor vehicle let alone in charge of one carrying passengers and thus endangering their lives also.

I am currently in Australia for business and you can see the care and attention most motorists here have in comparison.

The real problem is the quality of driver's education when they do their driver's license. Doing a theoretical test and then a few rounds on the parking lot takes half a day. E'voila. There you go! No wonder they can't drive for sh.t!

Anybody recognize the bus line?

I was going to ask the same question... Why wasn't the bus company named in the articles???

The bus was out of Mochit... And in looking at the picture posted above with the update article, the blue and white stripes on the bus look very familiar to me.... But I'm not sure on the ID...

Not Nakhon Chai Air... They have a different color scheme.

Also doesn't look like The Transport Co. colors either.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I can't understand why there seems to be such a lack of basic safety sense in the minds of the drivers here.

When you eventually do understand, you'll have worked out the Thai mentality.

Took me a few years, and you probably won't like what you discover.

Arc welding wearing sun glasses, tile cutting without face masks or ear defenders, building sites without hard hats, electrical installations with twisted joints and insulating tape, swimming pools without safety equipment and life guards. It's not just drivers, Thais don't needs safety sense, they just buy more amulets.

• Like 2

must admit while riding my bike here I have more than a few times been shocked at both truck and bus drivers and their antics behind the wheel - I have said the words "holy <deleted>>" more than once at their overtaking manouvers, it seems they have the attitude - I am big heavy honked my horn now get out of the way commin through, they also have a habit of driving in the right hand lane.

very sad that inocent people had to die because of one poorly trained incapable over confident driver - RIP

My Thai wife has been living in Aus for 5 odd yrs,she sat for & passed her QLD AUS drivers licence first time,not bad as many Aussies can't do that.She has always been very careful driving,first in thailand for 12 yrs & here now for nearly 5 yrs.When in Thailand she won't drive,says it's too dangerous to drive in LOS.clap2.gif

This is no surprise. The time of night on one of the most perilous stretches of highway in Isan. It's worse when the trucks of sugar cane are monopolizing that stretch of road. One is lucky to be alive anytime in Thailand. Total contempt for driving laws is the proud past time of nearly every idiot behind a wheel in Thailand. 12 year old's, driving Daddy latest off road vehicles , lifted, 4x4's, with the super size tyres, believe an indicator is to force trucks and other traffic to radically swerve to avoid their insane antics. as they erratically change lanes. The parents are proud of their prodigy, and blatantly boast about their twelve year old's amazing abilities. We must all be on our way to heaven, because Thai Drivers are already running hell. It can only get worse.

• Like 1

The Tour/Bus companies or any company that hires people that transport other people (including the songtaew drivers for schools) need to take new measures into their own hands or face MAXIMUM penalties as in loss of business, jail, hefty fines etc. etc. etc.

Any operator caught speeding should have to pay 20,000 baht to the policeman that caught them on radar and then face a further 25 years in jail plus pay each passenger on the bus at that time 10,000 baht. STARTING NOW.

It sounds stupid but should be real and doesn't sound near as stupid as the reasons why these fatalities happen each week all over thailand.

Ok my options might be a little harsh but you get the point. How else will this STOP !!!!!

RIP and condolences to the families.

Bus/Tour companies should enforce strict rules in their drivers such as:

• Random drug tests including alcohol and yaba. (very frequently)
  • Training, training and MORE training.
  • Decent salaries to bring drivers that are willing to go through the harsh training, penalties etc.
  • Doctors certificates (eyes, ears and mentally fit etc.)
  • Enforce the "stop for 15 minutes every 2 hours" rule.
  • Companies should be held responsible for compensation to the victims and their families including funeral, hospital fees AND MONEY.
  • Hire representatives to be randomly places throughout all of the routes and to pull over, test and give a "go" or a "no go" to the driver and should have a replacement driver with them.

PS: I my self am going to edit my rules and regulations I have made and have them translated into Thai and send to every Tour/Bus company I can think of. I suggest everyone else does the same in respect for the innocent victims over the years. I will report in a month or so any replies I get and yes I will be diplomatic and write down any other suggestion you people post.

Great idea translating into thai and sending to Thai bus companies....

Please PM me a copy of the thai translation when done and I will onforward to the Thai bus companies I know of..cheers

I think that the average Thai has no idea how outrageous these kinds of accidents are. A week or so ago, having heard of yet another bus accident, I mentioned to a Thai friend that I cannot remember ever hearing about a fatal bus accident--major or minor--in all my years in the US. It surely would have made the news.

Indeed there had to be one or two...maybe more...in the past 60 years, but they're an extremely rare event. One could almost say that it just doesn't happen in the US, and I'd bet that's true for a good many other countries as well!

Here it happens, and often. It's normal to most Thais. Bus accidents happen. Nobody knows any better. Nobody cares.

(For comparison the United States has about 2,615,870 miles (4,209,835 km) of highways, whileThailand has about 70,000 km of highways.)

The public and private bus/van drivers in Thailand are outright scary. They don't adjust there speed even in bad road conditions. I took a van once from hua hin to bkk and the driver used all four lanes of traffic to weave in and out. The only other time after that, that I got in one of those death traps, was when it was almost impossible to find other means. The saddest thing about the drivers is they are seriously underpaid, overworked, and seem to have little self worth (so it seems since they drive as if they have NOTHING to lose). I've never seem a speed trap, since I've been here the last 4 years.

Drivers back home have a family, a proper paycheck, a life. Here, the guys only enjoyment in life is going out gambling and hitting the bottle before his next shift. If you were paid peanuts, got a measly little paycheck, over your prime, got your thrills from gambling and whiskey, would life really matter that much? It's a sad thing to say, but I seriously doubt some of these guys could care less, to make it to their next destination.

I think that the average Thai has no idea how outrageous these kinds of accidents are. A week or so ago, having heard of yet another bus accident, I mentioned to a Thai friend that I cannot remember ever hearing about a fatal bus accident--major or minor--in all my years in the US. It surely would have made the news.

Indeed there had to be one or two...maybe more...in the past 60 years, but they're an extremely rare event. One could almost say that it just doesn't happen in the US, and I'd bet that's true for a good many other countries as well!

Here it happens, and often. It's normal to most Thais. Bus accidents happen. Nobody knows any better. Nobody cares.

(For comparison the United States has about 2,615,870 miles (4,209,835 km) of highways, whileThailand has about 70,000 km of highways.)

Bus journies in the US may be safer than Thailand but they do happen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/13/new-york-bus-crash

Comparing Thailand and the US is not really realistic.

http://www.guardian....-york-bus-crash

Bus journies in the US may be are without a doubt definitely safer than Thailand. I would not fear for my life one bit riding on a bus in the US, but I will not travel by bus in Thailand for safety reasons only. How eager are you to travel by bus on longer, inter-city routes here in Thailand? And why do you believe that "comparing Thailand and the US is not really realistic"? Give me a few good reasons, please.

Bus journies in the US may be are without a doubt definitely safer than Thailand. I would not fear for my life one bit riding on a bus in the US, but I will not travel by bus in Thailand for safety reasons only. How eager are you to travel by bus on longer, inter-city routes here in Thailand? And why do you believe that "comparing Thailand and the US is not really realistic"? Give me a few good reasons, please.

It's unrealistic as the USA is a far more developed country than Thailand, with legal enforcement of driving standards and a 'safety' culture. Therefore a comparison is pointless. However, bus accidents do happen in the USA, as they do in any country.

I'm certainly not "eager" to take bus journies in Thailand, or any vehicle for that matter, but as I live here and travel a lot I have little choice.

I don't expect Thailand to have the same standards of safety as fully developed countries; anyone who does would be advised to stay at home where they will be safer. However, I would like to think progress in this area will be made in the next few decades (possibly wishful thinking).

It's unrealistic as the USA is a far more developed country than Thailand, with legal enforcement of driving standards and a 'safety' culture. Therefore a comparison is pointless.

Errrr.... that is the comparison.

• Like 1

Yes, but a pointless one.

No it isn't, the USA, UK and quite a few others have enforced driver training, a real punishment system for transgressors and a uniformed force to ensure it happens.

Thailand doesn't have any of those, it pretends to, hence the difference in the number of accidents.

That is the comparison.

• Like 1

Yes, but a pointless one.

No it isn't, the USA, UK and quite a few others have enforced driver training, a real punishment system for transgressors and a uniformed force to ensure it happens.

Thailand doesn't have any of those, it pretends to, hence the difference in the number of accidents.

That is the comparison.

Did you read my post? That's exactly what I said, however, what is the point in making such an obvious comparison? Anyone coming to Thailand and expecting the same standards of road safety, or any other health & safety related matter, is living in cloud cuckoo land. It's ridiculous (and pointless) to compare a fully developed country with a partly developed one.

30175984-01_big.jpg

Note to self: Never sit on driver's side.

The last-ever night bus I will ever take was from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen. Everyone (but me) was asleep on the bus including the driver. I watched him hit his forehead twice on the steering wheel from nodding off. The rest of the time, he tried slapping his own face, to no avail. At the next town, I demanded he stop and let me off at 1:30 a.m. I waited four hours for the next bus, paid my fare again, and continued my journey with a driver who was only slightly more alert because he chain-smoked the entire journey. Never again.

Sad accounting of Thai fatal bus accidents in only the last 6-8 months:

http://bustrainandtrolley.wrongfuldeathconsultants.com/?cat=382

Edited by Fookhaht

Anybody recognize the bus line?

I was going to ask the same question... Why wasn't the bus company named in the articles???

The bus was out of Mochit... And in looking at the picture posted above with the update article, the blue and white stripes on the bus look very familiar to me.... But I'm not sure on the ID...

Not Nakhon Chai Air... They have a different color scheme.

Also doesn't look like The Transport Co. colors either.

Agreed it is NOT Nakhon Chai Air. Here's a photo of a bus with similar markings. Government bus?

terminal-dei-bus-mo-chit_962361.jpg

Edited by Fookhaht

In my opinion, from what I have witnessed in Thailand, a lot of the bus drivers, drive the buses just like their motorbikes. I can't count the number of times I've literally been forced into another lane by the larger buses. The driving as a whole in Thailand has a "right hand bais". What's with that? The marked lanes are wider than vehicles, but majority of people cannot stay in the marked lane.

I also wonder how much "drugs" have to do with all the bus crashes we see. With the schedules the companies try to keep and just plain bad driving habits, there will be more bad news reported.

passed a pickup truck on the highway,

overloaded with wooden pannels sticking out the back of the truck,

the front wheels were bouncing up and down and sometimes touching the ground

he passed trough the toll gate and made it pass the highway patrol cop ??????

<deleted>

• Like 1