Taxi Drivers Upset Over Problems With Gas Credit Cards

Lite Beer

Taxi drivers upset over problems with gas credit cards

The Nation on Sunday

30176207-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Representatives of taxi drivers asked the House committee on economic development yesterday to help solve problems resulting from the use of energy credit cards issued recently by the government.

Narong Mee-phol, chairman of the National Assembly of Taxi Drivers, and Somboon Janyalert, head of a group that lobbies for the rights of taxi drivers, told Democrat MP for Bangkok Chanin Rungsaeng the credit card programme was not working properly.

To help taxi drivers cope with higher prices for fuel as the Yingluck government floats energy prices, more than 30,000 credit cards were issued to cabs offering a credit line of Bt3,000 per card and discounts on natural gas worth up to Bt9,000 per month.

However, Narong said there were many problems with the move, such as a shortage of gas stations that accept the credit cards, especially in areas close to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

There have also been mistakes in providing discounts to taxi cabs.

Somboon said drivers affected by the programme would file a petition against the Yingluck administration, the Transport Ministry and PTT Plc in the Administrative Court.

"We want the court to help protect our right as we have been affected by the government's policy on natural gas. Taxi cabs spend over Bt50,000 per vehicle in equipment to use natural gas.

"Then the government raised the gas price and introduced the energy credit programme when it was not ready, resulting in many problems for taxi drivers," he said.

Drivers urged the government to approve an increase in taxi fares following the hike in natural-gas prices to reflect the higher cost of fuel.

Chanin, in his capacity as chair of the House panel on economic development, said the government should review energy prices and its credit card policy due to the problems cited by taxi drivers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-19

This government deserves everything it is getting. They have absolutely no coherent energy policy at all. As peak oil and energy depletion start to hit home in the future, all Thais are going to learn how the current erratic and unenlightened policies today are going to have dramatic, negative impacts on their livelihoods tomorrow.

Used in the right way, subsidies can provide a very necessary incentive for shaping consumer behavior away from resources that are in short supply and towards areas with more long term advantages. Often times, the solution that is most beneficial in the long term can never be done cost effectively on the open market. Such was the idea behind CNG in the first place, which could never have competed with liquid based fuels in the marketplace, but has many inherent advantages in long term stability for society. For example, it can be sourced locally to some degree, and supplies of imported LNG are readily available from Australia, bypassing the increasingly unstable waters of the Middle East. And the government has enjoyed limited success with their NGV policies so far. The appropriate move now is to raise the price of NGV and taxes on diesel fuel simultaneously so that the fiscal side comes into balance.

That also requires that the price of everything, including taxi fares, rise to reflect the reality of the increased fuel cost. Those price rises need to flow through the market so that appropriate decisions can be made by everyone on how to spend their limited income, and to make sure that those who have complied with the government incentives receive their appropriate rewards in lower achievable prices than their competitors. This government is trying to implement only half of a policy and doing a very poor job of that.

The taxi drivers are absolutely correct. Do away with this stupid credit card scheme and raise the taxi fares. Also raise the taxes on diesel and liquid fuels to maintain the incentives for switching to and using NGV. Just for once I wish the government would try and think of the country first. This area is too important to screw up.

Som nam na Taxi Divers!! passifier.gifclap2.gif

After seeing you Dirtbags in action during the Riots and Arson attacks all I can say is I hope your happy now?

You got your Credit cards from your paymasters no one said they would be useful...

I avoid using the Taxis at all costs Unsafe, Unclean, Unethical, Uneducated, dirt bags..

Has this got anything to do with the reduction in Motorcycle Taxis lately or is that just my soi?

Edited by dutchweller

Another 30 000 votes lost 5555555

60,000 taxis in Bangkok.

2 shifts

120,000 votes. And that's just Bangkok

Except very few of them vote in Bangkok. And also, the credit cards are probably not available to taxi drivers outside Bangkok anyway.

So that's 120,000 votes country wide ... although, there would probably wives and family members as well.

But, also, would they actually change their vote? There could be lots of reasons why they wouldn't ... one or two of them might even be valid.

After seeing you Dirtbags in action during the Riots and Arson attacks all I can say is I hope your happy now?

You got your Credit cards from your paymasters no one said they would be useful...

I avoid using the Taxis at all costs Unsafe, Unclean, Unethical, Uneducated, dirt bags..

Has this got anything to do with the reduction in Motorcycle Taxis lately or is that just my soi?

Whilst I totally agree with the som nam na, your generalisation of the Taxi drivers as '...,uneducated, dirt bags' is an insult to the thousands of drivers who are doing a rather good job every day. Your political leaning seems to cloud your fair judgment, if you want to see real sleazebag taxi drivers go visit Pukhet or Samui, you'll praise BKK's taxis upon return.wink.png

I would think the only ones who were issued the cards were ones who participated in the riots (As payments) so to the ones who are complaining I say suck eggs.

I have yet to have a plesent experience with a Taxi in Thailand

2 Times I have been threatened, My Wife has been groped and had her handbag stolen, Multiple times we have been overcharged or "No change", I cannot count how many times we have been refused because we will not pay 500 THB "Meter broken" Not one Taxi I have seen is Safe with seatbelt, Decent tires, and proper safe driving....

So when I have a decent experience I may change my mind

Whilst I totally agree with the som nam na, your generalisation of the Taxi drivers as '...,uneducated, dirt bags' is an insult to the thousands of drivers who are doing a rather good job every day. Your political leaning seems to cloud your fair judgment, if you want to see real sleazebag taxi drivers go visit Pukhet or Samui, you'll praise BKK's taxis upon return.wink.png

Have to agree Tom. After years of complaint, Samui taxi drivers agreed to a "fuel surcharge" to be added to every fare. Despite this, I have yet to find a cabby willing to turn on the meter. OTOH I have had many pleasant txi trips in BKK all of which start with a request in Thai to turn on the meter.

One of the great things in Bangkok is the wonderful skytrain, subway and the buses that provide great transportation. From a personal point of view. I try to avoid taxis like the plague if I can. Motor cycle taxies work better for short distances, and tuk tuk drives don't even make the list or are even considered. wai.gif

I generally take the Skytrain when I visit Bangkok for a couple of days mainly spent shopping. Aside from being cheaper, it's quite often faster and does provide for at least a little exercise... although during the peak hours it's becoming more of a contact sport.

On a recent stay, after a long day and with the temps and humidity soaring, I thought I might go with a tuk-tuk. The driver wanted B 250 to go from Surawongse to Central World. That was good for a few laughs and he trailed me down the street dropping the price in B50 baht increments as I hailed a taxi.

The main reason I sometimes resort to tuk-tuks is that they generally negotiate traffic better than taxis and, if you set the price before starting off they can be cheaper. The drivers parked in touristy areas do, however, tend to need a reality check.

This last visit I took taxis three times. Each time we spent most of the trip stationary in the midst of gridlock ... but at least the wait was air conditioned. On each occasion, even though the taxis had meters, the driver asked if a set price was OK. In each case I knew the amounts were slightly higher than what I would have expected for a metered trip, but allowing for a small tip they were reasonable and nothing like the ridiculous amounts I've had tuk-tuk drivers try on.

All this criticism of taxi drivers puzzles me, I have always found them decent guys, apart from the airport ones that I now never use.

I agree. I've found taxi drivers in Bangkok to be very pleasant. If I had to contend with that traffic all day, everyday, I wouldn't be nearly as nice to deal with as they are.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

One of the great things in Bangkok is the wonderful skytrain, subway and the buses that provide great transportation. From a personal point of view. I try to avoid taxis like the plague if I can. Motor cycle taxies work better for short distances, and tuk tuk drives don't even make the list or are even considered. wai.gif

Well said, I also avoid over priced, under educated taxis and tuk tuks in BKK, the alternatives are cheaper, faster, greener and safer, no contest.

Well said, I also avoid over priced, under educated taxis and tuk tuks in BKK, the alternatives are cheaper, faster, greener and safer, no contest.

One thing that Bangkok taxis are not, is over priced.

I would think the only ones who were issued the cards were ones who participated in the riots (As payments) so to the ones who are complaining I say suck eggs.

2 Times I have been threatened, My Wife has been groped and had her handbag stolen, Multiple times we have been overcharged or "No change", I cannot count how many times we have been refused because we will not pay 500 THB "Meter broken" Not one Taxi I have seen is Safe with seatbelt, Decent tires, and proper safe driving....

You must attract bad service, in more than 5 years of living in Thailand I can count with the fingers of one hand how many times a taxi driver didn't want to use the meter (excluding airport). Only once I noticed at the end of a short drive that the meter was not working, once I notice the meter was running faster than normal.

On the other hand I've had on a couple of occasions been taken the wrong way due to a genuine misunderstanding of the directions and the drivers offered me to not pay the fare at all when getting to my intended destination.

I use a taxi at least twice a day (other forms of transport are really not convenient at all) and for the most part drivers are decent people, perhaps 1 out of 30 or so is dodgy, drives recklessly or unfriendly but that's about it.

• Like 2

You must attract bad service, in more than 5 years of living in Thailand I can count with the fingers of one hand how many times a taxi driver didn't want to use the meter (excluding airport). Only once I noticed at the end of a short drive that the meter was not working, once I notice the meter was running faster than normal.

On the other hand I've had on a couple of occasions been taken the wrong way due to a genuine misunderstanding of the directions and the drivers offered me to not pay the fare at all when getting to my intended destination.

I use a taxi at least twice a day (other forms of transport are really not convenient at all) and for the most part drivers are decent people, perhaps 1 out of 30 or so is dodgy, drives recklessly or unfriendly but that's about it.

+1

• Like 1

The ones that are willing to go where you want to go are generally fine. Fewer complaints about the traffic and attempts to engage in political discussions would be appreciated, and maybe more subdued (please turn down the volume) Isaan dance numbers. 80% are ok, 5% are great, and 15% are pretty appalling. So, 85% overall GPA is pretty darned good.

I have sympathy for the taxi drivers. The previous governments promoted CNG and only NGV systems are factory fitted to new vehicles sold in Thailand. NGV at 8.5b/kg was half the market price whereas LPG was a third at 10.3baht.

The new gov should have floated LPG for transport to it's actual price and saved NGV. Current policy will see NGV rise to nearly full price and LPG still be subsidised.

Idiots.

Just a thought, but do you approach the taxi Driver in the same way you approach making a post on this forum - might explain why you don't seem to get on with them!

• Like 2

.......... (snipped for brevity) ....

+1

+2

Yes the problem is they got the cards in the first place.

Why are things so complicated in this country.

Just raise the taxi fares, I thought they did already min 50THB not 35.

Just take them back and say sorry just too much corruption in this country already.

Why do they need credit cards, Oh to pay for their support of red shirt leaders

who ran a muck in Bangkok, a year or so back.... it just goes on and on and on...............

Meanwhile I am still getting taxi's @Hualampong Train station who want 200thb to Chinatown.

No thanks meter taxi is only 70.

Thailand's on a black list for one of top 10? countries for corruption.

Coup now please.

60,000 taxis in Bangkok.

101,000 registered taxis in BKK, according to a cover story in BK Magazine.

Like rabbits. The view is that there are far too many of them. People drive a taxi almost as a last resort for a job and the only people who make money are the owners of the cars who rent them to the drivers.