Australian Tourist Visa Application

13 hours ago, Flying Ace said:

I'm just going to go ahead with the prospective marriage visa application, and our agent said that once that is lodged the department generally looks favourably on visitor visa applications due to the fact you have placed an application in for a visa that takes a long while to get processed. 

It just angers me that in my own country I have to prove that I (and my fiancee) am not a criminal, and even when you do that to the best of your ability, they still don't believe that we are not being dishonest.

They have all the information they could possibly need from me, so even if she was to overstay (as if!), it would be easy to track me down. 

Do they really think we would jeopardise our PMV application by overstaying?

Crazy.

Did you do as I suggested earlier and as from the refusal letter it doesn't seem like you did.

Supplying payslips isn't the best evidence of funds as it only shows income, not expenditure. If that's the only thing you provided then it's not the best evidence on its own. I suggested earlier you should have submitted bank statements or other evidence as well, seems like you didn't.

Did you provide evidence of previous support financial to your GF? 

What reason and evidence did you included to cover off on a "reason to return"  as this seems the main sticking point. 

Edited by Surin13

• 2 months later...

First, please accept my apologies if I am repeating something others have posted - I don't have the time to read through 35 pages ?

My situation is that I am a South African male, living in Thailand full time, married to a Thai national, living at the same address since 2005. I have three grown up children in Australia and five grand children.

I have visited and lived in Australia many times since 1994, worked (legally) in Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne for two years in the late 1990s. The past few years it has become more and more onerous to visit, leading me to suspect this is the desired outcome for the racist Australian authorities.

The problem is today when I apply for a three month, single entry tourist visa, you would swear I am trying to invade the country single handed. Keep in mind a UK, EU, US national living here (in Thailand) for the same period or longer can simply apply online and pay $20...

My TWENTY page application asks every bit of information possible, even down to my military records from 1981, and bio-metric data. For EACH and EVERY visa application.

Now, on top of all this paranoia, I am informed I will need POLICE CLEARANCE! Let me remind you this is for a single entry tourist visa. Two prior visas were issued using the same address in 2015 and 2016. Last year I gave up.

As I live in the South it takes two trips to Bangkok to provide all the requirements, and booking flights to Australia early is not possible as the police clearance can take 7-30 days according to their website. So, for a SE 3 month TV it is $140 on their website, but in total, the visa will cost me in the region of $1,000.

I am disgusted to say the least. This is keeping me from visiting my family and is blatant discrimination.

Last year I went so far as to complain to the Australian Ombudsman about this but as you would guess I was just fobbed off. They don't care. I did however get a telephone call from some under secretary, but only when I threatened to get my bank to reverse the charges... They must be very hard up for the cash.

Perhaps they don't realise I am white? That seems to be an all important factor in today's Australia...

Edit: Just to add, my wife is not included on my application. She says she will never visit such a racist country...

One last point, last year I obtained a Schengen one year ME visa, and I worked in China which meant I needed about half a dozen Chinese visas. No police clearance requested; no paranoia at all really...

Edited by ParadiseLost

15 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

First, please accept my apologies if I am repeating something others have posted - I don't have the time to read through 35 pages ?

My situation is that I am a South African male, living in Thailand full time, married to a Thai national, living at the same address since 2005. I have three grown up children in Australia and five grand children.

I have visited and lived in Australia many times since 1994, worked (legally) in Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne for two years in the late 1990s. The past few years it has become more and more onerous to visit, leading me to suspect this is the desired outcome for the racist Australian authorities.

The problem is today when I apply for a three month, single entry tourist visa, you would swear I am trying to invade the country single handed. Keep in mind a UK, EU, US national living here (in Thailand) for the same period or longer can simply apply online and pay $20...

My TWENTY page application asks every possible bit of information possible, even down to my military records from 1981, and bio-metric data. For EACH and EVERY visa application.

Now, on top of all this paranoia, I am informed I will need POLICE CLEARANCE! Let me remind you this is for a single entry tourist visa. Two prior visas were issued using the same address in 2015 and 2016. Last year I gave up.

As I live in the South it takes two trips to Bangkok to provide all the requirements, and booking flights to Australia early is not possible as the police clearance can take 7-30 days according to their website. So, for a SE 3 month TV it is $140 on their website, but in total, the visa will cost me in the region of $1,000.

I am disgusted to say the least. This is keeping me from visiting my family and is blatant discrimination.

Last year I went so far as to complain to the Australian Ombudsman about this but as you would guess I was just fobbed off. They don't care. I did however get a telephone call from some under secretary, but only when I threatened to get my bank to reverse the charges... They must be very hard up for the cash.

Perhaps they don't realise I am white? That seems to be an all important factor in today's Australia...

Edit: Just to add, my wife is not included on my application. She says she will never visit such a racist country...

A south African or a Thai passport ?

12 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

My TWENTY page application asks every possible bit of information possible, even down to my military records from 1981, and bio-metric data. For EACH and EVERY visa application.

PardiseLost, you must understand that this is not aimed at one individual such as your self, it is making rules for an entire region and trying to do it effectively while not being too onerous.

Also,  unfortunately I think you may have been poorly advised when you first applied for a visitor visa as you may have been eligible to and better of applying for a Resident Return Visa - and then  you would have saved yourself huge headaches... it may not be too late but will depend on what visa you had in the 90's

1 minute ago, AustralianVisa said:

PardiseLost, you must understand that this is not aimed at one individual such as your self, it is making rules for an entire region and trying to do it effectively while not being too onerous.

Also,  unfortunately I think you may have been poorly advised when you first applied for a visitor visa as you may have been eligible to and better of applying for a Resident Return Visa - and then  you would have saved yourself huge headaches... it may not be too late but will depend on what visa you had in the 90's

I worked on 456 and 457 visas, but never took permanent residence, work opportunities took me to USA and EU.

2 minutes ago, AustralianVisa said:

No such luck then. 

Luck is not a factor, this is purely by design.

last year I obtained a Schengen one year ME visa, and I worked in China which meant I needed about half a dozen Chinese visas. No police clearance requested; no paranoia at all really...

9 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

South African. It would probably be easier on a Thai passport.

No threat of darkest Africa invading I guess...

Are you aware you can do the application online at https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/immi, I have done the last couple for Thai GF online avoiding the VFS thing, only one trip to bangkok to do the biometrics.

You mention police clearance, is that from SA or thailand or Australia ? Is that only for South Africans, Thai GF has never required police clearances.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you aware you can do the application online at https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/immi, I have done the last couple for Thai GF online avoiding the VFS thing, only one trip to bangkok to do the biometrics.

You mention police clearance, is that from SA or thailand or Australia ? Is that only for South Africans, Thai GF has never required police clearances.

Yes, I have an ImmiAccount and my last four applications were done through the site.

2015, no need for VFS, no biometric data.

2016, same

2017, biometrics, army records (so VFS visit required).

2018, biometrics, army records. POLICE CLEARANCE, etc, etc.

The requested police clearance is from Thailand, even though I have an uninterrupted history of Non-o and marriage extensions since 2005! Hardly the circumstances of a hardened criminal...

8 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Yes, I have an ImmiAccount and my last four applications were done through the site.

2015, no need for VFS, no biometric data.

2016, same

2017, biometrics, army records (so VFS visit required).

2018, biometrics, army records. POLICE CLEARANCE, etc, etc.

The requested police clearance is from Thailand, even though I have an uninterrupted history of Non-o and marriage extensions since 2005! Hardly the circumstances of a hardened criminal...

So the police clearance and army records is because you are South African ? That is really bad.

• Thanks 1

Army records is because there's a section that ask if you've served in armed force

but I've never seen a request for police record for just a visitor visa for a Thai applicant

Biometrics every application is done for every application is the same for Thais too

There's talk of multiple entry visitor visa 5 years for tourist in the work instead of the usual 3 that you'd get normally.

It's strange that they didn't give you 3 years multiple entry in 2016 or 2017, most Thais that had first successful single entry visa find they're given the multiple entry 3 years visa on subsequent application almost automatically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Army records is because there's a section that ask if you've served in armed force

but I've never seen a request for police record for just a visitor visa for a Thai applicant

Biometrics every application is done for every application is the same for Thais too

There's talk of multiple entry visitor visa 5 years for tourist in the work instead of the usual 3 that you'd get normally.

It's strange that they didn't give you 3 years multiple entry in 2016 or 2017, most Thais that had first successful single entry visa find they're given the multiple entry 3 years visa on subsequent application almost automatically.

The fact that SA had conscription and it was 30 years ago makes the request for army service records pedantic and is only there to hinder people applying, in my opinion.

It sticks in my throat that a country who managed to displace and decimate the Aboriginal population can claim such moral high ground against South Africans. Even today, no people of colour hold high office; the police, local govt, even television is 99% pure white!

How does a country of just 20 million people, with land mass almost equal to the US or Canada get away with such discriminatory policies? The world needs to wake up and take notice.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read most of the pages but found no answer to the question I have

She has never been to Australia and like to apply for a tourist visa we

know all the requirements but the question I ask you do we have to

prove we are involved with each other or can she just apply to visit

a friend I will fill in a declaration form stating that I will provide

accommodation and any other expenses arising for the duration

of her stay in Australia. Do I need to prove my income or just hers

We met on social media a couple of years ago after I separated 

from my wife so basically I am still married according to the law

will this situation cause any problems with her application I can

not provide any e-mails that we know each other for a long time

since she has no e-mail account I did spend a few weeks with her

in Bangkok not long ago so she likes to visit me now

So what problems will she have when applying for the visa

it will only be a single entry visa any help appreciated

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 12:27 PM, White Christmas13 said:

I read most of the pages but found no answer to the question I have

She has never been to Australia and like to apply for a tourist visa we

know all the requirements but the question I ask you do we have to

prove we are involved with each other or can she just apply to visit

a friend I will fill in a declaration form stating that I will provide

accommodation and any other expenses arising for the duration

of her stay in Australia. Do I need to prove my income or just hers

We met on social media a couple of years ago after I separated 

from my wife so basically I am still married according to the law

will this situation cause any problems with her application I can

not provide any e-mails that we know each other for a long time

since she has no e-mail account I did spend a few weeks with her

in Bangkok not long ago so she likes to visit me now

So what problems will she have when applying for the visa

it will only be a single entry visa any help appreciated

I've had some female friends make visas to Australia recently.
If the visit is short, 1 week or 10 days - 2 weeks , and she has money in her account and a job to return to , she will have no problem.
If she has a stable job to return to and a  letter from her employer confirming she is using her annual leave, and she has no money in her account, that's okay as long as you say you will be supporting her trip. 
If she says she visiting a friend, id ask why you would be on the application form
Better to say she is coming to visit you and you will be supporting her while she is staying with you and covering all costs

10 hours ago, MartinJ said:

I've had some female friends make visas to Australia recently.
If the visit is short, 1 week or 10 days - 2 weeks , and she has money in her account and a job to return to , she will have no problem.
If she has a stable job to return to and a  letter from her employer confirming she is using her annual leave, and she has no money in her account, that's okay as long as you say you will be supporting her trip. 
If she says she visiting a friend, id ask why you would be on the application form
Better to say she is coming to visit you and you will be supporting her while she is staying with you and covering all costs

Well I was going to get her over here for more than 2 weeks I thought it was wasted time and money

for just a week or two she is not employed by anybody she works for her self selling food

she will have some money in the bank maybe 50.000 baht or so and I will sign a declaration form

that I will support her while she is on holiday over here she will have free accommodation and I will

cover any cost including the flight she also has a 10 year old daughter back in Thailand

• 1 month later...

Just posting to let posters know and especially the posters that I have help over the years, both via posting here and PM, that I will no longer be posting or replying to PM's. As I have reassessed my support towards this forum and decided going forward I that its not in my interest or that I wish to be associated with. 

I have over the last 5 odd years I spent my time providing accurate, insightful and beneficial information to members on visa issues to Australia and correcting the very bad, inaccurate and misleading information that is often posted on this forum about Australian Visa's.

I am glad that I have helped many, but much like the poster who started this thread I bid you all adieu.

Edited by Surin13

• 4 weeks later...

I have read about half of the most recent posts but admit I havnt read all because things have changed.  I may have to go back to Australia in the next couple of months but only for a couple of weeks.  I want to bring my wife with me.  She has been successful in getting tourist visas in the past but a few years ago now.  Three things I am concerned about that didnt arise before:

1.  Certified copies.  What documents need to be certified?  and by whom? 

2.  I support my wife but she doesnt have a bank account recently.  I usually just give her cash every month.  I have sufficient funds in the bank both here and in Australia plus I have two rental properties ...one that I can prove through agents rent reports and the other through years of monthly deposits on bank statements.  Is her having a bank account all that necessary?

3.  Do I really need to get our Thai marrige certificate translated to English.  I can show 5 years of visa extensions based on Thai wife?

As a bit of background we have been living together for approx 14 years and have been legally married for 6 years.

Any recent experience would be appreciated.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:07 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Any recent experience would be appreciated.

You don't need certified copies for a tourist visa.  

If she doesnt have an account just explain it succinctly in her application letter.  

Im sure there are more correct ways of doing things but I like to wing it ????  so if you really dont want to translate the marriage cert I think it will be fine just submit the thai version and based on all your other factors I dont see why they would deny it.  Just make sure you dont do the minimum, you both should be explaining your relationship, funds, previous short stays in Aus.  Provide evidence to back all this up - flights, visa's etc etc etc. 

You should be golden, I just got a girl I met this year a 12 month multi entry TV first try.     

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Minko said:

You don't need certified copies for a tourist visa.  

If she doesnt have an account just explain it succinctly in her application letter.  

Im sure there are more correct ways of doing things but I like to wing it ????  so if you really dont want to translate the marriage cert I think it will be fine just submit the thai version and based on all your other factors I dont see why they would deny it.  Just make sure you dont do the minimum, you both should be explaining your relationship, funds, previous short stays in Aus.  Provide evidence to back all this up - flights, visa's etc etc etc. 

You should be golden, I just got a girl I met this year a 12 month multi entry TV first try.     

Thank you very much Minko.  One more question if I may re the bio data.  We live way out in Isaan so a long way from either office ie Chiang Mai or Bangkok.  Is the bio data required before visa granted or before travel.  Im wondering if its before she can travel can we get it in Bangkok a day or so before we fly out.  It would save us doing 2 trips to Bangkok as I am hoping to do the application online or by post.

I believe biometrics is part of the lodgement, so she would have to make a special trip to do them before the application is considered. 

However biometrics may, or may not be requested when applying online - would be good to know how many members are being asked to submit them?  I know at least early on nobody was being asked to submit biometrics when applying online, so you may get lucky!  

• Like 1

Bit of a panic with application. Told expect up to 22 days for processing. I put application in a week ago and really need Visa for partner confirmed before 7/10/18. They have been given a total 19 days to process before we plan to fly out. Is there a way of fast tracking application even though it has been lodged. I have no issue that my  partner will be granted her 4th Tourist Visa given documentation supplied. I just need it in a hurry. Is there some sort of contact you can make to hurry the process up.

With questions about biometrics all I know it is part of the application. My partner had to provide it with last application and also with this application.

14 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Bit of a panic with application. Told expect up to 22 days for processing. I put application in a week ago and really need Visa for partner confirmed before 7/10/18. They have been given a total 19 days to process before we plan to fly out. Is there a way of fast tracking application even though it has been lodged. I have no issue that my  partner will be granted her 4th Tourist Visa given documentation supplied. I just need it in a hurry. Is there some sort of contact you can make to hurry the process up.

With questions about biometrics all I know it is part of the application. My partner had to provide it with last application and also with this application.

Cant say for sure but in my experience, albeit a few years ago, they are quite rigid with their rules and they do point out in several of their articles online that you are not to book airfares before visas are granted.......but I always have.

ps was your application online, post, or in person?

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaifish said:

I put application in a week ago and really need Visa for partner confirmed before 7/10/18.

Good luck, you might be ok.  Applied for one in person on 9th October & received actual document 19th.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Hi Thaifish - you should be ok as they have been currently approving them within about a week, however the Christmas holiday rush will be coming so that will add to the processing time very soon.

I should mention that the expectation is based on global figures and the Bangkok Embassy is normally ahead of the curve.

Edited by AustralianVisa
Update info
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for your responses... Application was done in person by missus at VSF 18th. She got the phone call today 26th that documents (either approved or not) was in the post... So that's a 9 day turnaround on the application. I'm sure the application was approved. I can sleep better now. The online VSF status check for application changed today to read    "Your processed visa decision/documents has been couriered Bangkok AC on 26/10/2018"                           

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, can someone please help me with my problem..

I was travelling to thailand by land border from cambodia but i was denied saying that as i am traveling for forst time , i need to enter via air, but they put the blue remark / stamp on my passport which i think says thqt i dont have money .. the visa officer was very rude as if he alreasy had decided to reject my entry on what so ever bases. Now my querry is that i am applyuing for australian permanent residency.. but i dont want to mention this incidence.. if i get a new passport and skip this detail , will it create a problem?? Do thailand stores and shares this information with other contries?? I am realy worried as someone said that it can affect my australian PR.. 

Please help..20181104_153804.thumb.jpg.b601673eb7791962ff491c92726c8acd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

Just went through the process of trying to obtain a visa class 600 multi entry tourist visa for wife.Of course Fortress Taxstralia (bad people in good people out) denied the visa on the grounds of not submitting biometrics. Well I would have sworn as she had completed that the the year before when obtaining same visa that as you have them already what has changed? No reply from email to embassy as expected.Lesson learnt and out of pocket 3500 baht. The immi account of course mentions nothing about having 14 days to submit your biometrics.Nope lets just take this mugs money and who in the bejesus is going to challenge the decision at 1700AUD. 

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2018 at 9:25 PM, ChalongDobie said:

HI all,

Just went through the process of trying to obtain a visa class 600 multi entry tourist visa for wife.Of course Fortress Taxstralia (bad people in good people out) denied the visa on the grounds of not submitting biometrics. Well I would have sworn as she had completed that the the year before when obtaining same visa that as you have them already what has changed? No reply from email to embassy as expected.Lesson learnt and out of pocket 3500 baht. The immi account of course mentions nothing about having 14 days to submit your biometrics.Nope lets just take this mugs money and who in the bejesus is going to challenge the decision at 1700AUD. 

did you only pay 3500 baht for the visa application I have been quoted a much higher amount