Kan Win

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I just went Geek to the first degree and acquired a Nikon P900 today ,as soon as I work it all out and set up a decent tripod configuration I am going to the moon !

Cam seems ok , it is not a wiz-bang unit really . If you have been following the reviews I think that they are a little sugar coated tbh , just a plastic telescope imo.

Still onward and upward I guess , I wonder what else this telescopic image taking machine is capable of ...smile.png

See you on the dark side ...

I just went Geek to the first degree and acquired a Nikon P900 today ,as soon as I work it all out and set up a decent tripod configuration I am going to the moon !

Cam seems ok , it is not a wiz-bang unit really . If you have been following the reviews I think that they are a little sugar coated tbh , just a plastic telescope imo.

Still onward and upward I guess , I wonder what else this telescopic image taking machine is capable of ...smile.png

See you on the dark side ...

Congrats ! ! ! ! And wish you great success with your hand-held-hubble. thumbsup.gif

Thanks Fiddlesticks ,

Being a big hollow piece of plastic this camera is in dire need of stabilisation ! I have tried to take a few shots of the full moon today but the pod I am using is light ,

the ground vibrations are extreme to say the least as these are amplified through the unit , I have a 9kg video fluid head tripod to give it a go , but it seems overkill ...

I am sure I will have to use remote fire to at least bet a sharp jpeg , so look out evilbay tm .

Will have to put my money were my mouth is I guess and send an image at least , wish me luck , be back soon with an out of focus blur .

Cheers

I am sure I will have to use remote fire to at least bet a sharp jpeg , so look out evilbay tm .

If you have a smart device such as Android phone/tablet or iPhone/iPad it looks like you can remotely control it via WiFi so no need to buy anything.

In addition, the camera's Wi-Fi® button makes Wi-Fi® connection even easier when smart devices not equipped with NFC are used. Smart devices can also be used to take pictures remotely, zoom in or out, and enable the self-timer, capabilities that are convenient when taking group photos in which the user is included.

Bottom page of this link - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-P900.html

Thanks Tywais

I have checked it all out , but maybe I have overlooked a lot of info , being now hands on with this plastic hollow jpeg creating machine I can tell you honestly ....

It is just a consumer item , well at the long end I guess , and from my pov , still it is going to be a good bit of fun . I have to take this to the extremes before I can it though .

I am impressed atm , but time will tell . I don't have smart phone nor tablet connectivity but I do think a remote will be advantageous in the long run , the cam seems ok with IQ

I am impressed at the short end with the 2.8 and I have to try and figure out the menu to get the largest jpeg as well , I have time ....coffee1.gif

Moon in some sort of focus

DSCN0021Moon.jpg

At the long end , forgive the blur , damn ground movements.

DSCN0024%2BMoon%2BClose%2Bblur.jpg

Well I chugged up the tripod from the video unit and whopped on 900 odd grams of hubble plastic onto the top of it , screwed it together and aimed it at the big round nightlight in the sky .

It is a shame that this camera only captures jpeg , as I am sure I may have done a better job with the final output.

There is a lot of light pollution in my area , so not easy to pinpoint stars . keep trying I guess coffee1.gif

DSCN0072.jpg

^ tip . . . if your're sharpening anything in LR, after doing so mask it so that only the main parts of the image are affected. The background will then be unaffected & not sharpened . . . which introduces noise otherwise.