New Passport -- Cancelled Passport

I am due to get a new US passport soon, and in the past, the embassy returned the old passport with punch holes and a cancelled stamp when the new passport is issued. My question is: does Thai immigration recognize and accept the use of their valid visa extension and their multiple re-entry permit in the old, cancelled passport? Do i travel with the valid passport and the cancelled one? Or will I need to go to Immigration to transfer the Visa Extension and Re-Entry Permit into the new passport before i travel outside of Thailand on the new passport?

I am sure this is a common concern that has probably been discussed many times before here in the Forum, but I am not sure how to find it in the Archives, so I would be grateful for some guidance on this topic. Thanks to the experienced Forum contributors.

Need to transfer the stamps to your new passport, but most borders have the forms ready to do it for you on the spot. So if you don't have time to visit immigration, just show up with the two passports and plan for a 30 min delay.

I got a new passport last year (British, but I'm sure the rules are the same) and got them transferred over at immigration. Not sure about the previous post about getting it done at a border crossing. Immigration offices in Thailand have been regionalized for a few years now so you would need to go to the office covering the area you are staying. Very painless, in and out in less than an hour with everything transferred over.

Please note that I live in Thailand and am 'in the system'. If you are living here and use immigration, go to the office that you normally use. If you do not live here (no involvement with immigration) find out which office covers your area and go there

what happen with same situation , extention to stay and multy re-entry visa valid ,but new passport issue abroad and travel to bangkok next week with two passports (new and canceled ). thank you for reply..

what happen with same situation , extention to stay and multy re-entry visa valid ,but new passport issue abroad and travel to bangkok next week with two passports (new and canceled ). thank you for reply..

Carry both.. Show them the old passport with the visas in, and 'use' the new one.

Carry both.. Show them the old passport with the visas in, and 'use' the new one.

THANK YOU..FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY.

If you are on an extension of stay - as OP seems to be - you must visit immigration office that issued that extension of stay to transfer it into new passport.

Just a little bit of information.

If you are just a few months away from the next extension Phuket Immigration will not transfer the stamps to your new passport. ( they are just to lazy to do this )

They will tell you that you have to continue using both passports for your travel and the stamps will be transferred to your new passport at the same time when you do the new extension.

A follow up question: If I am too lazy to go to Immigration to have them transfer the visa extension and re-entry permit from the canceled passport to the new passport, will I be allowed by Immigration to use both passports for re-entry into Thailand at Suvarnambhumi?

YES, Visa's and Re-entry permits remain valid until the expire date of the visa. This is the same for all country's.

If you are on an extension of stay - as OP seems to be - you must visit immigration office that issued that extension of stay to transfer it into new passport.

If you are just a few months away from the next extension Phuket Immigration will not transfer the stamps to your new passport. ( they are just to lazy to do this )

They will tell you that you have to continue using both passports for your travel and the stamps will be transferred to your new passport at the same time when you do the new extension.

That sounds like a very interesting situation.

What if you are going to travel OUT again in the "Phuket" case as you quote, where would a newly obtained Re-entry Permit be placed, assuming a person may not have a Multiple Re-entry covering them until the next extension time?

I cannot imagine a new re-entry being placed in a new passport, if there is no permission to stay within the new passport and I cannot imagine a new re-entry being stamped into a former cancelled passport!

I'm asking, as I'm in a similar situation outside Thailand with a new passport. The extension permission to stay, and a single re-entry is in the old passport, so no problem getting back in at the airport, but............................

I'll be travelling back next week, thus using the one re-entry, which is about 38 days earlier than my next extension application,

but need to travel out again prior to this next extension application.

Is my office obliged (or likely) to do the stamp transfer to enable another re-entry permit to be created. I'm hoping they will do the whole business and do both the new extension and re-entry 38 days early into the new passport, I'm fairly sure this is more expedient for them rather than mucking around with stamp transfers.

Edited by fishhooks

That sounds like a very interesting situation.

What if you are going to travel OUT again in the "Phuket" case as you quote, where would a newly obtained Re-entry Permit be placed, assuming a person may not have a Multiple Re-entry covering them until the next extension time?

I cannot imagine a new re-entry being placed in a new passport, if there is no permission to stay within the new passport and I cannot imagine a new re-entry being stamped into a former cancelled passport!

I'm asking, as I'm in a similar situation outside Thailand with a new passport. The extension permission to stay, and a single re-entry is in the old passport, so no problem getting back in at the airport, but............................

I'll be travelling back next week, thus using the one re-entry, which is about 38 days earlier than my next extension application,

but need to travel out again prior to this next extension application.

Is my office obliged (or likely) to do the stamp transfer to enable another re-entry permit to be created. I'm hoping they will do the whole business and do both the new extension and re-entry 38 days early into the new passport, I'm fairly sure this is more expedient for them rather than mucking around with stamp transfers.

As soon you have to change something in your visa/extension situation like applying for a re-entry permit the visa information has to be transferred to the new passport first.

After this you can get the new re-entry stamp in your passport.

As this is a reason for change they have no problems and will transferring the information to the new passport.

They are only lazy if they don't see a real reason to transfer the information to the new passport.

Much appreciated.

What's your tip on them doing a new retirement extension 5 weeks early into the new passport, rather than just transferring original stamps, then re-stamping a new extension 5 weeks later.

I can show them a ticket out o/s in the interim.

Edited by fishhooks

Is there an Immigration rule/policy that says when someone who is staying in Thailand on an extension of a Retirement Visa gets a new passport from his home country, that the person must go to the Immigration Office that issued him the extension and Re-entry Permit, and have them transfered to the new passport....Or does Thai Immigration allow the use of two passports-- the original canceled one with the Extension and Re-entry Permit, and the New Passport, until it's time to renew the annual extension??

There has been a requirement to transfer stamps for everyone until the last year or so when they have started to allow those on visa entry to use both passports for exit (but believe notation is still required in new passport). This was done without any notice that I are aware of so running blind at present and have not seen any supporting paperwork.

There has been a requirement to transfer stamps for everyone until the last year or so when they have started to allow those on visa entry to use both passports for exit (but believe notation is still required in new passport). This was done without any notice that I are aware of so running blind at present and have not seen any supporting paperwork.

Think I've got you on that, but in the case of still using the both passports for exit, where likely would a Re-Entry Permit go if one was needed to be obtained.

Edited by fishhooks

It would be in the new passport and require transfer of extension of stay information into that passport I would suspect. New stamps can not be placed in old passport as it is invalid.

Correct as soon you need a change or update of your visa extension like requesting an re-entry permit all information has to be transferred to the new passport first before the new re-entry permit can be issued.

Fine.

Someone suggested a few weeks back that they MAY on arrival at BKK Airport in a few days, transfer the extension, which would enable me to get a new re-entry/s and save a fast to & from trip to Khon Kaen.

I guess though this would be quite an achievement if it happened.

No matter where, which stamps are actually transferred across? If on an extension of stay, is it only the current one, or is other info required to go across as well?

Anyway, I'll definitely post back the result as there appears to be heaps of questions lately with members asking similar questions.

Edited by fishhooks

Fine.

Someone suggested a few weeks back that they MAY on arrival at BKK Airport in a few days, transfer the extension, which would enable me to get a new re-entry/s and save a fast to & from trip to Khon Kaen.

I guess though this would be quite an achievement if it happened.

No matter where, which stamps are actually transferred across? If on an extension of stay, is it only the current one, or is other info required to go across as well?

Anyway, I'll definitely post back the result as there appears to be heaps of questions lately with members asking similar questions.

I never heard about the fact that you can transfer the information from your old to your passport on the airport.

This doesn't say that this is not possible now or maybe in the future but i would not count on it.

I would also imagine that when one is doing the 90 Day Reporting by Mail, if one gets a new passport and the old one with all the information and stamps is canceled, one should also go to Immigration personally for that reporting period and get the stamps transfered to the new passport?

I would also imagine that when one is doing the 90 Day Reporting by Mail, if one gets a new passport and the old one with all the information and stamps is canceled, one should also go to Immigration personally for that reporting period and get the stamps transfered to the new passport?

Transferring stamps to the new passport has to be done in person as you have to sign the transfer form.

Normally they will do it at the airport, but especially when you are on a 1 year extension of stay you best visit your immigration office before going to the airport.

Mario,

I'm actually arriving internationally next Sunday with the new and former passport containing all the original info and stamps.

Do you know if there would be a 'chance' of getting the stamp transfer done in the Arrivals Hall either by the incoming officer, or is there a section there that may do it if the normal desks are too busy?

I gather this may be a slightly out of the ordinary situation!

I usually go through the Thai input processing with my Thai wife and have never had any issue with that, usually very friendly.

Edited by fishhooks

There is no office at the airport, so they will do it themselves if not to bussy. Since filling in a form is required and they want copies of your old and new passport I suspect they will stamp you in the new passport and tell you to visit your own immigration office.

Okay, thanks for that.

I have already filled in a form titled "TRANSFER STAMP TO NEW PASSPORT" and copied all of my former passport together with the header pages of the new passport in anticipation of maybe having to go to Khon Kaen, so I'll see if that works at the airport.

Be interesting anyway.

I did not know this and never encountered something like this in the past.

I traveled ( in and out of Thailand ) over the last 23 years a few times with two passports and never had any problem even when i used the two passport option over a 6 months period.

But my new passport had always the notation that it was a replacement of the older passport with passport number XXXXXXXX.

If you are travelling on a new passport and intend to transfer your multiple entry visa (particualry for B and O class for locals) - present your old passport and ask for a O or B class endorsement - dont get a Visa on arrival stamp - immigration wont honour the transfer process... Just happened to me this week.

If you are travelling on a new passport and intend to transfer your multiple entry visa (particualry for B and O class for locals) - present your old passport and ask for a O or B class endorsement - dont get a Visa on arrival stamp - immigration wont honour the transfer process... Just happened to me this week.

do you mean that you tried to transfer the information from the old to the new passport after you entered the country with a 30 day VOA stamp in your new passport. ( instead the long term visa entry stamp )

If this is the case then the immigration is correct as you are not using the re-entry option any more at that moment.