Why Do I Live In Thailand?/Why Do I Not Live In My Birth Country?

BoonToong

So another 'innocent' post results in gross assumptions, misunderstandings and personal jibes.

There are, however, some good points licklips.gif

As for why I object to those kind of things happening in the UK but accept them here?

Because when I lived and worked in my country I paid a lot of money in taxes and expect to see those taxes well managed.

I still stick by the opinions I stated at the beginning about why I like Thailand - I thank you.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys fess up,

We are all here because we enjoy sex with much younger women persons (edited for gay guys).

No other reason, just a lot of old guys trying to hide what they are really here for.

Umm . . . no. Neither old nor a whore-monger, sorry to burst your bubble. Working and happily married with children (no, my wife isn't Thai)

Come on, you know you are in a very small minority.

We're all of us in a small minority if we look closely. A couple of my friends are individuals, in fact.

I've never really fancied living in my country of birth, and I probably couldn't get residency anyway.

SC

Me too then. I arrived in Thailand in 2004 because I was transferred with my job. Fell in love with the place. Girls had nothing to do with it. It was purely about career development.

• Like 1

Me too then. I arrived in Thailand in 2004 because I was transferred with my job. Fell in love with the place. Girls had nothing to do with it. It was purely about career development.

Me too. Arrived with the company I had worked for in three previous countries, with the same wife I have now, and the same children.

SC

• Like 2

Come on guys fess up,

We are all here because we enjoy sex with much younger women persons (edited for gay guys).

No other reason, just a lot of old guys trying to hide what they are really here for.

Umm . . . no. Neither old nor a whore-monger, sorry to burst your bubble. Working and happily married with children (no, my wife isn't Thai)

Well, first you said that we all and then we became a small minority but it seems we're not so small. :)

I visited here because it was affordable, and the women are lovely. I moved here because it is still affordable, and the ladies are still lovely.

I don't live in my homeland because it is expensive. The ladies there are lovely as well, but did I mention expensive?

• Like 2

Why here and not in the U.K. ?

Thailand is warmer and better for my health.

There are more shops open than in my local high street.

Cheap beer - 65 Baht big bottle.

Food, petrol, beer are now sky high in the U.K. As are utility bills.

So many here in the U.K. are miserable and having to penny pinch thanks to the recession.

Rip off parking charges to go to the local shops in the U.K. Rip off rail travel and more.

Oh yes, and the beautiful, sexy younger women I get to make love to in Thailand :) :)

Better and cheaper health and dental care in the U.K.

Honest police force.

No mosquitoes.

Bettr roads in the U.K. and traffic.

Overall I find Thailand is more laid back once you get used to the ways of the locals. Time has little or no meaning. I have and can afford more fun in Thailand.

Most of the people who post on this thread are going to be people who built up fortunes before coming to Thailand and therefore have little involvement with the negative aspects of this country.

I want Somchai the taxi drivers opinion on whether or not the UK/US/EU/Aus is better than Thailand.

Frankly the guy who said he was here for women appears to be most honest. Everybody else's answers boil down to religion, cheap labour and lack of enforcement regarding tax laws.

So another 'innocent' post results in gross assumptions, misunderstandings and personal jibes.

As for why I object to those kind of things happening in the UK but accept them here?

Because when I lived and worked in my country I paid a lot of money in taxes and expect to see those taxes well managed.

I still stick by the opinions I stated at the beginning about why I like Thailand - I thank you.

You see.......this forum is being over-run by disgruntled British ex-pats, it's getting to the point that every other thread is being hijacked with people like you that can't just celebrate your life in Thailand, you have too look over your shoulder and sneer.

I can't say it is unique to the British ex-pat but really, you don't see any other nationality indulging in such a festival of whining self pity as you get from my fellow countrymen.

Let's talk about sneering for a moment, please ensure you check out the Thai news forum every day and you will truly get a picture of a fractured government in a state of perpetual war with itself and the opposition. Some of the forecasts made by contributors to that forum are apocalyptic, and quite frankly, hard to argue with.

That should help put the issues in the UK into some perspective for you.

Anyway, I'm away to start a poll........feel free to vote

• Like 1

You see.......this forum is being over-run by disgruntled British ex-pats, it's getting to the point that every other thread is being hijacked with people like you that can't just celebrate your life in Thailand, you have too look over your shoulder and sneer.

Ummm you do realize you are replying to the OP who in fact did make a nice OP on why he celebrates his life in Thailand?

Edited by flying
  • Like 1

I can't say it is unique to the British ex-pat but really, you don't see any other nationality indulging in such a festival of whining self pity as you get from my fellow countrymen.

Let's talk about sneering for a moment, please ensure you check out the Thai news forum every day and you will truly get a picture of a fractured government in a state of perpetual war with itself and the opposition. Some of the forecasts made by contributors to that forum are apocalyptic, and quite frankly, hard to argue with.

That should help put the issues in the UK into some perspective for you.

Anyway, I'm away to start a poll........feel free to vote

LOL - read the original post again. Sneering or moaning or wingeing has never been in my nature; I'm quite a happy chappy really!

But thank you for misunderstanding clap2.gif

• Like 1

Here is the main point of the original post (for those who are having difficulty with comprehension).

"Anyone else got any good reasons why they are glad they are not in their 'own' country? (Political asylum seekers need not reply)"

I thank you.

Come on guys fess up,

Hold on. You are leaving out members of the asexual community.

asessuale.jpg

Here is the main point of the original post (for those who are having difficulty with comprehension).

"Anyone else got any good reasons why they are glad they are not in their 'own' country? (Political asylum seekers need not reply)"

I thank you.

Sorry; I thought it was country of birth.

SC

• Like 1

I thank you.

SC

Hairs/splitting/stop

Please rearrange.

wink.png

I thank you.

SC

Hairs/splitting/stop

Please rearrange.

wink.png

Some of us may be second or third generation ex-pats with only the loosest of ties to any particular country; I can't think of any to be sure, bar my British - Pakistani cousin who lives in Argentina, for all I know...

SC

I thank you.

SC

Hairs/splitting/stop

Please rearrange.

wink.png

Some of us may be second or third generation ex-pats with only the loosest of ties to any particular country; I can't think of any to be sure, bar my British - Pakistani cousin who lives in Argentina, for all I know...

SC

Fair point, well put wai.gif

I'm here because the Mongolian government is much more stingy with those visa things, so we have to spend much of the year hanging out in BKK before being allowed to return to Ulaanbaatar. That's not to say that Thailand is a booby prize, though. 7,000 baht apartment; 18 baht omelette at my front door; 50 baht large Singha from 7-11 or a street stall; I can support my partner and I quite comfortably on $1,500 per month; there's beautiful weather pretty much all the time, and friendly folk (most of the time).

Most importantly, though, this isn't f*cking Manchester: £500 apartment; £3 omelette a mile away; £3 beer in a dingy pub; struggling to do more than cover the bills on £2k a month; drizzle, just all the time, and everyone has a perma-scowl.

I'm here because the Mongolian government is much more stingy with those visa things, so we have to spend much of the year hanging out in BKK before being allowed to return to Ulaanbaatar. That's not to say that Thailand is a booby prize, though. 7,000 baht apartment; 18 baht omelette at my front door; 50 baht large Singha from 7-11 or a street stall; I can support my partner and I quite comfortably on $1,500 per month; there's beautiful weather pretty much all the time, and friendly folk (most of the time).

Most importantly, though, this isn't f*cking Manchester: £500 apartment; £3 omelette a mile away; £3 beer in a dingy pub; struggling to do more than cover the bills on £2k a month; drizzle, just all the time, and everyone has a perma-scowl.

Ulaanbaatar is COLD a good part of the year! One big reason I live here. Weather's pretty darn good...and its "relatively" cheap.

Ulaanbaatar is COLD a good part of the year! One big reason I live here. Weather's pretty darn good...and its "relatively" cheap.

Oh, we escape for the coldest of it. We were stuck there until early January this year and it hit -40 Celsius a few times. You'll never appreciate Bangkok as much as when you've just come from a place where it's cold enough to make grown men cry.

• Like 1