Anyone Been Denied A Double-Entry Visa In Vientiane Lately?

I'd like to go to Vientiane next week for a double-entry visa. Although there seems to be some caution about the possibility of getting one there, all the "pinned" stories here end with success (although one received a "red stamp" warning in November). So I'm wondering if anyone has recently been denied a double-entry visa in Vientiane.

If so, can you please say what the reason was and what your thailand visa history looked like in your passport at the time? And did they just give you a one-entry visa instead?

Thanks for any information. I'm a US citizen. Two years ago, I had about 5 visa exempt entries in my passport during a time when it's clear I was touring all over Asia. Some stays were for the full exemption term but some were for 3 days or a just a week. Now I'm here on my first 30 day visa exemption since then and going to get my first ever tourist visa for thailand.

Any more than 4 tourist visas in your passport means you will be denied any more. This is what I've been told anyway.

This will last for a while, and then they'll be issuing tourist visas as normal (for a while) then back to being strict, etc, etc.

For the most part, It's very easy to know who's a tourist and who's not.

I applied for a double-entry tourist visa in Vientiane exactly 1 year ago and had it flat denied. To be fair I kind of expected it though. I had about 14 months of tourist stamps and only 1 page left in my passport.

Various people kept assuring me that no one really cares and that they "know a guy who's been doing tourist visa runs for years". I just stopped worrying after about 6 months, since tourist visas seem like by far the least hassle out of the available options.

The snotty woman behind the desk just told me "too many visa - new rule - new rule" or something to that effect. She seemed to be taking quite a bit of pleasure in delivering bad news to people. I didn't really stick around to talk to anyone but there were at least 20 or so other farang hovering around the desk looking noticeably upset and/or angry.

I just briefly asked her "So what can I do without a visa? My girlfriend and all my luggage is in Thailand". Her reply was "Go back to border, they give 15 days".

So now I am back in farang land, saving and planning to go back this summer with a legitimate visa. It doesn't seem to get any easier though. I'm absolutely convinced that they deliberately make the requirements ambiguous and information hard to find to make the shake downs easier.

I applied for a double-entry tourist visa in Vientiane exactly 1 year ago and had it flat denied. To be fair I kind of expected it though. I had about 14 months of tourist stamps and only 1 page left in my passport.

Various people kept assuring me that no one really cares and that they "know a guy who's been doing tourist visa runs for years". I just stopped worrying after about 6 months, since tourist visas seem like by far the least hassle out of the available options.

The snotty woman behind the desk just told me "too many visa - new rule - new rule" or something to that effect. She seemed to be taking quite a bit of pleasure in delivering bad news to people. I didn't really stick around to talk to anyone but there were at least 20 or so other farang hovering around the desk looking noticeably upset and/or angry.

I just briefly asked her "So what can I do without a visa? My girlfriend and all my luggage is in Thailand". Her reply was "Go back to border, they give 15 days".

So now I am back in farang land, saving and planning to go back this summer with a legitimate visa. It doesn't seem to get any easier though. I'm absolutely convinced that they deliberately make the requirements ambiguous and information hard to find to make the shake downs easier.

I got the woman and had 2 double entry tourist visas in my passport from Vientiane. She asked me what I was doing in Thailand and I said holiday then she gave me a form that said misrepresenting what you're doing in Thailand could lead to revocation of visa, and I said to her I wasn't working.

I said I'd sold a house and business in the UK and so didn't work.

All the time I'm talking to her this stupid old fool next to me at the counter keeps laughing at everything I say as if what I'm saying is a ridiculous lie! Here's a request for everyone, shut the hell up when other people are sorting out their visa!

She said I'd stayed too many times and might not get a visa. I just repeated I wasn't working, (which I'm not and haven't been) then she took the passport and gave me the slip to pay 2000 Baht in the other building.

The next day I was expecting a single entry and the red stamp as a best case scenario with possibly no visa and the red stamp as a worst case.

Instead, I got the double entry and no red stamp!

Think I should probably go to somewhere else for my next tourist visa in 6 months though!

Edited by CMTourist

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my dual entry tourist visa from Vientiane in mid February. It has a red stamp that says in English - Royal Thai Embassy Vientiane. The other half looks to say the same only in Thai. The only other clue is the usual Thai icon in he middle. I keep hearing about the infamous "red stamp" but no one, that I've seen here anyway, has said much more about it descriptive wise that is.

Personal details, I am 63 and Canadian. I have my original dual entry I got in Canada and now the one from Vientiane, that's all. There is no way they could possibly think I'm working, I an old fart... It would be way cool if someone who has an actual evil red stamp would photo copy it and upload it here.

Something I've been wondering about:

a lot of people (myself included) go to the consulate directly from the border crossing, showing up at the Thai consulate before the ink of their entry stamp is dry. Could this be a factor in how they view your application?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find something right about this red stamp, but it's difficult. A couple of friend went to vientiane last year, not married, french people, leaving together in Thailand from 3 years now. The man 62 years old, the lady 58. The man had a "normal visa" 2 entries and the lady 2 entries and the Red Stamp. WHY, good question isn'it it?

Since this may be a real concern for me 90 days from now, I appreciate your raising this topic.

My question would be: as of the last two months: what are the "fixers" who are outside the Consulate Services building, at this time, able to do, and at what price. I do know someone with multiple double-tourist visas, who used one of the fixers in December, 2011, for a fee of 6k baht.

thanks, ~o:37;

Since this may be a real concern for me 90 days from now, I appreciate your raising this topic.

My question would be: as of the last two months: what are the "fixers" who are outside the Consulate Services building, at this time, able to do, and at what price. I do know someone with multiple double-tourist visas, who used one of the fixers in December, 2011, for a fee of 6k baht.

thanks, ~o:37;

I used the agent outside, not because I thought there would be any issues whatsoever (I don't have the "serial visas" problem. Lots of 15&30 day stamps but this was my first visa) but because it was hot, there were lots of people already queued, and I couldn't be bothered wasting an hour or three...

I think they may have tightened up a bit because the agent was quite relieved that I wasn't a "problem" case (probably the easiest money he made all day). So I can't really answer the question whether throwing any extra cash at it would get you a visa without a red stamp - but fwiw I signed the forms, paid him 5k, and he brought my double entry to the hotel next day at the appointed time, no issues.

I just got my dual entry tourist visa from Vientiane in mid February. It has a red stamp that says in English - Royal Thai Embassy Vientiane. The other half looks to say the same only in Thai. The only other clue is the usual Thai icon in he middle. I keep hearing about the infamous "red stamp" but no one, that I've seen here anyway, has said much more about it descriptive wise that is.

Personal details, I am 63 and Canadian. I have my original dual entry I got in Canada and now the one from Vientiane, that's all. There is no way they could possibly think I'm working, I an old fart... It would be way cool if someone who has an actual evil red stamp would photo copy it and upload it here.

If you have the income why not get a non-o to explore retirement before leaving Canada and then extend for retirement easy to do.

Yes its because they are invading in your privacy and they denied me as an aussie for a single entry 2 month tourist visa, because I didnt show them my bank records and account information...

They want to ensure you have the money to support yourself while in Thailand. You are required to have proof of money for a tourist and non-o visa from your own country.