True 3G Versu Ais 3G

T_Dog

Have been using AIS 3G in Chiang Mai for over a year (air card on the computer) and it sure has reminded me of what dial-up was like with slow speeds, frequent disconnects, and difficulty getting an initial connection. Ahhh, the memories. At any rate..... Does anyone have any experience with True 3G in Chiang Mai? I talked to them today and their coverage area is much better than AIS. Am curious if the speeds and ability to connect are satisfactory.

T_Dog, I dumped AIS 3G on Dec 31st last year and switched to DTAC 3G in CM. I was beyond frustrated with AIS 3G.

Bought an aircard for my laptop- 1390 B.

On an unlimited plan 399/mo. 1st GB on UMTS/HSPA. Thereafter they throttle you back to EDGE at max 384 kbps.

Even on EDGE, which has happened a few times....it is WAY faster than the best of AIS 3G.

(I know you're asking about True, but thought this info might be of interest).

T_Dog, I dumped AIS 3G on Dec 31st last year and switched to DTAC 3G in CM. I was beyond frustrated with AIS 3G.

Bought an aircard for my laptop- 1390 B.

On an unlimited plan 399/mo. 1st GB on UMTS/HSPA. Thereafter they throttle you back to EDGE at max 384 kbps.

Even on EDGE, which has happened a few times....it is WAY faster than the best of AIS 3G.

(I know you're asking about True, but thought this info might be of interest).

Thanks for that.... I didn't even have DTAC on the radar so will check it out.

I've used True 3G on a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy s11) and the data service was awesome. The down side was their inability to connect any of my calls so it was dumped. I moved back to DTAC and all is well on both fronts. Their 3G isn't nearly as good as True but my phone is a phone again lol.

I've used an AIS aircard for the last couple of years and upgraded it around Sept / Oct last year. It was terrible. Never any signal in my home and if i was lucky enough to get any the strength was up & down constantly.

Around 2 months ago I went and bought a DTAC Aircard, same as mentioned above but got the deal of 70 hours unlimited at 299 per month, if I use more I just add another 299 for another 70 hours.

This thing is like lightening compared with the old aircards, I can't say enough good about it.

I won't be considering AIS again.

Can't offer any information on True aircards but having used data service on my phone I would imagine them to be pretty fast.

If you have a modern phone you could always consider an unlimited data plan and connect through your phone, using that as your modem so to speak.

I useTrue and it seems to be fairly good. This is the first time I've used 3G so I cant comment on how it compares to anything else.

The only problem I have is that it drops in and out quite a lot, even in the city. You'd think it would fall back to 2G if 3G was unavailable but quite a few times a day, I have no internet access at all. Sometimes, I can't make calls either which is fair enough, if the phone can't connect to the network at all, but most of the time, I can make calls but have no internet access, which sounds wrong. I went to the True service centre and they changed a few things on the phone which made things a bit better, but I still have this problem a lot :-(

To switch from AIS 3G to DTAC or TRUE 3G, you'll have to get a new aircard. The aircards for DTAC and TRUE 3G are compatible with each other. The problem with aircards is that the create a highway, so to speak. The more traffic that hits the road, the slower it gets. In a populous area like Chiangmai, the AIS highway is probably choked most of the time.

I live out in a village where an aircard is my ONLY alternative (I can only receive DTAC). I do most of my Internet stuff between 5 am and noon. After the kids start getting out of school and begin cranking up their iPhones, etc., it slows down to a crawl. Also, on the weekends, as the lazy kids start getting out of bed at around 11 am or noon, it starts solwing way down. It would be virtually impossible for me to ever use the Internet at say 11 pm, without going completely nuts. Such is life.

As an additional mark against AIS (no help, I agree), I paid them for 5GB before service defaulted to Edge. Last year, in order to meet the competition, they lowered the service - at the same price - to 3GB and then Edge.

As I'm retired, 555, I defaulted to 3BB at home and wi-fi when traveling.

yeah i use true. I have no complaints with it what so ever. The speeds on the 3g is good. Don't usually have problems streaming stuff. Never dropped a call. The coverage is pretty crazy. It goes WAY further than i expected it to. atleast an hour an a half outside the city i still have a connection.

Being from planet AIS, your positive comments sound rather alien! Thank You for that report. Regarding the coverage, the True folks I talked to said that even Fang has 3G now, although is is not continuous coverage all the way up.

yeah i use true. I have no complaints with it what so ever. The speeds on the 3g is good. Don't usually have problems streaming stuff. Never dropped a call. The coverage is pretty crazy. It goes WAY further than i expected it to. atleast an hour an a half outside the city i still have a connection.

Being from planet AIS, your positive comments sound rather alien! Thank You for that report. Regarding the coverage, the True folks I talked to said that even Fang has 3G now, although is is not continuous coverage all the way up.

yeah i have driven to bangkok, phuket, laos with my phone on me. And other than times when your way out in the mountains i usually have a 3G connection. Actually to be honest the worst connection i had was when i was in patong. The coverage there doesn't seem all that great.

i have the unlimited package on my iphone4 btw.

Edited by limegreenpatato