Taxi Drivers Who Winds Down Window Instead Of Opening The Door

forumuser10

I'm confused by this topic. I have never seen a taxi driver open the back door for me as he was pulling up to pick up a fare. Can they even do that?

it's the done thing in Hong Kong with some special mechanical connection.

Singapore is better they get out open the boot/trunk and take your bags off you.................my wife nearly died of shock when this happened on a recent visit!!

She wasnt even looking for a taxi!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a big city and there is bad traffic, going the wrong direction at the wrong time of day is very bad for a taxi driver, so don't get your panties in a bunch if he doesn't want to go and just ask the one behind him. If no one will go, walk to a different spot and ask there or use public transport. I'm glad they can refuse fares and not get in trouble because it's better for the driver and keeps cost down for us

I dont have a problem with them saying no per se, I just noticed that taxi drivers who wind down the window instead of letting you open the door, are mush less likely to pick you up. I think only one time, when a guy wind down his window, he picked me up.

I think you are on the wrong forum if you are looking for men to pick you up?

I'm confused by this topic. I have never seen a taxi driver open the back door for me as he was pulling up to pick up a fare. Can they even do that?

Long arms help . . . long_arm.jpg

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. Also, in HK, a taxi has to take you anywhere you ask them to. Its the law, and if they refuse just say you will call the police. Job done.

Half true. HK taxis are restricted to fares to and from certain areas, certainly from the airport.

From, yes there are restrictions and they will mostly not stop. They are not restricted on their destination though lol - to get from central to Mui Wo you think you have to change in the middle of the tunnel to a TST cab, and then quickly change again to a NT cab somewhere over park island? LOL.

It's a big city and there is bad traffic, going the wrong direction at the wrong time of day is very bad for a taxi driver, so don't get your panties in a bunch if he doesn't want to go and just ask the one behind him. If no one will go, walk to a different spot and ask there or use public transport. I'm glad they can refuse fares and not get in trouble because it's better for the driver and keeps cost down for us

I agree here 100%

I agree here 100%

The importance was not the "no" in itself, but the observation that taxi drivers who wind down their window instead of letting you open the door, is much less likely to pick you up.

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. Also, in HK, a taxi has to take you anywhere you ask them to. Its the law, and if they refuse just say you will call the police. Job done.

Half true. HK taxis are restricted to fares to and from certain areas, certainly from the airport.

From, yes there are restrictions and they will mostly not stop. They are not restricted on their destination though lol - to get from central to Mui Wo you think you have to change in the middle of the tunnel to a TST cab, and then quickly change again to a NT cab somewhere over park island? LOL.

But the converse is true. NT taxis cannot enter the Urban areas, and a Blue taxi cannot take you to a destination off Lantau.

The red taxis, however, can go anywhere, and pick up anywhere.

SC

When they roll down the window, it's an interview to see if you can be scammed.

They have no intention of driving you around.

These guys are not taxi drivers. They are full time scammers trolling for a novice tourist to scam.

Same same for the taxies parked in front of hotels.

Edited by pauljones

These guys are not taxi drivers. They are full time scammers trolling for a novice tourist to scam.

I also agree. It is quite annoying, though, that in some areas the 'mafia' taxis are so numerous that they are the norm (to the point that one has to walk pretty far out of the area before even being able to acquire a 'real' taxi). At least for most of Greater Bangkok you can actually get a real meter taxi, unlike areas such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc. (and not even to mention the islands, etc.). Sometimes the 'real' taxis also refuse, but usually they give a reason- too far, about to go off my shift, etc.- I don't blame them for that.

They roll down the window because they are looking for a specific destination, usually near their taxi depot that they want to return to, or have ruled out certain destinations due to traffic, and don't want people jumping in to the back seat without even asking if the taxi will go to their destination. Foreigners especially tend to do this, they don't know taxi etiquette and just get in without asking and demand the taxi go where they want, and get angry if they won't. If they only have certain places they are willing to go it's easier for them to roll down the window then have a dozen people open and shut the door.

They roll down the window because they are looking for a specific destination, usually near their taxi depot that they want to return to, or have ruled out certain destinations due to traffic, and don't want people jumping in to the back seat without even asking if the taxi will go to their destination. Foreigners especially tend to do this, they don't know taxi etiquette and just get in without asking and demand the taxi go where they want, and get angry if they won't. If they only have certain places they are willing to go it's easier for them to roll down the window then have a dozen people open and shut the door.

This may be true....1% of the time.

I also agree. It is quite annoying, though, that in some areas the 'mafia' taxis are so numerous that they are the norm (to the point that one has to walk pretty far out of the area before even being able to acquire a 'real' taxi). At least for most of Greater Bangkok you can actually get a real meter taxi, unlike areas such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc. (and not even to mention the islands, etc.). Sometimes the 'real' taxis also refuse, but usually they give a reason- too far, about to go off my shift, etc.- I don't blame them for that.

It's gotten very bad in the last several years.

In front of every tourist hotel is a "gang" of taxies that "own" the area. They pay police to park illegally and protect the valuable scam turf.

Watch them sometime. They even have a logbook they sign into. No way, do they let an honest driver park in this area.

The only customers they want are "first time" visitors. Their aim is to overcharge or scam every single customer.

Another gang of scammers, posing as taxi drivers do nothing but troll all day long in the tourist areas, rolling down the window to interview potential targets.

• Like 1

I've been living in Bangkok 3 years now and this past week my friend has been visiting. While I was with her I was trying to get a cab from Chit Lom to either Kao San, RCA, or Tao Pun (where I live) and of these every single one that stopped was calling out "400 baht" "500 baht" to take me to these locations. I spoke to them in Thai and everything. I was so pissed but there were also Thai's trying to get a cab near us as well and the same thing was happening to them. It was the middle of the night so the traffic wasn't bad, I didn't understand why none of them wanted to take us or they didn't want to use the meter.

For the first time in my life I finally said "Ai hia" (sp?) to someone...I kinda felt bad about that but he was like the 20th cab that I had asked and he said he would take me for 600 baht!!! I was super pissed off....

edit* added "off" after "pissed" so some people wouldn't think I meant "pissed" as in "drunk"

Edited by ihunnieibee

I've been living in Bangkok 3 years now and this past week my friend has been visiting. While I was with her I was trying to get a cab from Chit Lom to either Kao San, RCA, or Tao Pun (where I live) and of these every single one that stopped was calling out "400 baht" "500 baht" to take me to these locations. I spoke to them in Thai and everything. I was so pissed but there were also Thai's trying to get a cab near us as well and the same thing was happening to them. It was the middle of the night so the traffic wasn't bad, I didn't understand why none of them wanted to take us or they didn't want to use the meter.

For the first time in my life I finally said "Ai hia" (sp?) to someone...I kinda felt bad about that but he was like the 20th cab that I had asked and he said he would take me for 600 baht!!! I was super pissed off....

edit* added "off" after "pissed" so some people wouldn't think I meant "pissed" as in "drunk"

This is a very foolish thing to do. As farangs in this country we are less than human in the eyes of many Thais, especially the criminal element. In "the middle of the night" a good percentage of the taxis operating are less than legitimate. of the few bad experiences I have had in this country all but one involved a shady taxi driver. Deliberately causing a loss-of-face to a taxi driver at this time of night could quickly end in disaster for you. We choose to be here, and this is the way it works in-country, suck it up and prepare for it. Verbally insulting a Thai in public (especially in this situation) is never a good idea.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. You flag them down. They open THEIR window and say Bai Nai (sp?); you tell them, and then um and ah and then say no and drive off. Mean while you miss a couple of other taxis that might have taken you. I work in Asoke and live in Lad Prao. Getting a taxi in certain times of the day up there is neigh on impossible (sometimes you have too much stuff for the MRT). It drives me up the wall. Another place is near Pratunam - getting a cab there is bloody impossible.On some Occasions I have asked "where do you want to go? Is there an MRT / Sky train near there?" and get in.

So, like the OP, if they open the window I ignore them and concentrate on the ones actually doing the job of taxi driver.

Yeah, you know what I am talking about.

To the people who do not understand, I have heard people on thaivisa usually were not the brightest people in the world, bitter and less IQ, but this was ridicilous.

Anyway, I also make a point out of waving them off, as to show that I have noticed them, and still will not bother to ask them for their service.

So what is everyone elses experience, is taxi drivers who wind down their window instead of letting you open the door, less likely to pick you up?

I would say, 99% of the time, when they will not let you open the door, and instead, they wind down the window, they will not pick you up.

Let me get this right - you want a taxi, you try to flag one down, but then if he stares at you, you wave him away for the satisfaction of seeing his face?

Yet you still want a taxi?

For the record, taxi drivers are completely within their rights to refuse to take any passenger any place they want. It is NOT a law that they have to pick up passengers and take them wherever they want to go. They are independent businesses, and can refuse any customer they want in exactly the same way a shop can refuse a customer, or an airline refuse a passenger.

Cheap, clean and reliable taxis are one of the delights of Bangkok. There is no better taxi service in the world in my view, and I include Singapore in that (try flagging a car down in the evening there!). The only one that competes is HK, but Bangkok is better value in my view.

What other country in the world does a taxi to the airport cost around 6 quid? I got a cab from Suk 24 to Swampy yesterday. It was Sunday morning and he went under the motorway, avoiding the tolls. The meter read 195 baht when he dropped me at the terminal.

Legendary.

Edited by bendix

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. .

Wrong. They also open the door automatically. I use HK taxis every single work day.

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. .

Wrong. They also open the door automatically. I use HK taxis every single work day.

Correct, like in Tokyo, Same thing, but no-one can beat Japanese taxis for cleanliness, attention to detail . . .

Well blow me down - 4 yrs I never noticed that. Mind you, if I was getting into a taxi it was usually either half cut walking up to one opening the door and jumping in before they knew what was happening. Stunned by this :)

Had that happen to as well. They roll down the window and leave the door locked so that you can't open it and just hop in.

Yes you can report them but the fine will be levied against the taxi owner who usually is not the driver who offended you. TIT

Well blow me down - 4 yrs I never noticed that. Mind you, if I was getting into a taxi it was usually either half cut walking up to one opening the door and jumping in before they knew what was happening. Stunned by this smile.png

Normally they only open the door if they are stationary and in the kerbside lane. Otherwise you have to open it yourself... oh, and if they are unoccupied.

SC

"Promise me, son, not to do what I have done"

Kenny Rogers

It's gotten very bad in the last several years.

In front of every tourist hotel is a "gang" of taxies that "own" the area. They pay police to park illegally and protect the valuable scam turf.

Watch them sometime. They even have a logbook they sign into. No way, do they let an honest driver park in this area.

The only customers they want are "first time" visitors. Their aim is to overcharge or scam every single customer.

Another gang of scammers, posing as taxi drivers do nothing but troll all day long in the tourist areas, rolling down the window to interview potential targets.

100% Correct.

Edit: I'll wave on ten or twenty taxis like this until I find one willing to go other than the tollway and switch on his meter. This is the driver I'll give 500 Baht to at the airport. Shorter journeys I use bikes or tuktuks...ah yes tuktuks...lol

Edited by smokie36

Ma Wan as it was called back in the day .

I'm sure the OP didn't mean that he expects the taxi driver to open the door for him.

The taxi driver will open the window to hear where you want to go, before letting you in.

Normally, you can get in first and then tell him where you want to go, and 9 out of 10 times he will take you there.

But sometimes the taxi driver will be selective.

It happened to me last night 3 times at Sukhumvit 11.

I have also heard that according to Thai law, a taxi driver has to take every fare.

But the concept of 'law' doesn't carry the same meaning in Thailand as it might somewhere else.

Having said that, can't blame the taxi driver for being selective: not wanting to go way the opposite direction,

when his shift is almost done.

On the other hand, it's money......

I'm sure the OP didn't mean that he expects the taxi driver to open the door for him.

The taxi driver will open the window to hear where you want to go, before letting you in.

Normally, you can get in first and then tell him where you want to go, and 9 out of 10 times he will take you there.

But sometimes the taxi driver will be selective.

It happened to me last night 3 times at Sukhumvit 11.

I have also heard that according to Thai law, a taxi driver has to take every fare.

But the concept of 'law' doesn't carry the same meaning in Thailand as it might somewhere else.

Having said that, can't blame the taxi driver for being selective: not wanting to go way the opposite direction,

when his shift is almost done.

On the other hand, it's money......

Come on Judge arminbkk you're supposed to do your deliberating in chambers....what's your decision? huh.png

Well blow me down - 4 yrs I never noticed that. Mind you, if I was getting into a taxi it was usually either half cut walking up to one opening the door and jumping in before they knew what was happening. Stunned by this smile.png

Many a night I stumble down the escalators from Phoenix's Happy Hour, onto Caine Road and hail a cab heading towards . . ummm . . Lockhart Road. Each time the door is waiting open for you. Mind you, after three Phoenix Martinis, it needs to be