Lost & Found

bendejo

Came across this today:

http://portfoliography.com/2012/02/riding-with-the-cops-in-bangkok/

http://worldwidewill.net/post/18104942639/riding-with-the-cops-in-bangkok

Found the story impressive on several levels, not all of which involved the technology.

If it were better written and more politically correct I would suspect it originated in Apple's PR department.

• Like 1

I have read it already in LonelyPlanet forum.Also I was thinking about posting it here - as an example,that sometimes local cops can really accomplish something.

I had similar experience long time ago before internet in SriLanka,when we caught the perpetrator - in tandem with local officer;who was creative and energetic.Perpetrator was OZ backpacker.

It was also about tracking - without technology that time - using paper trail.

Edited by BabySun

Cool stuff... the find my... feature is brilliant and ends up creating lots of urban legends like this... I've heard other stories, and in the US this is now so common the police departments actually already know about it and have a procedure in place.

Hopefully they'll at least kick the thief out of the country...

If Thai mobile airtime providers wont allow blocking of stolen IMEI's do you really think the BiB's are interested in this? The technology it out there to deter theives shame most of them in Thailand wear brown......

Edited by Para

• 4 months later...

If Thai mobile airtime providers wont allow blocking of stolen IMEI's do you really think the BiB's are interested in this? The technology it out there to deter theives shame most of them in Thailand wear brown......

Yep, I just contacted my mobile provider (AIS), and they confirmed that they couldn't (or wouldn't) take any action related to the IMEI. They assured me that they would block use of my SIM card, so that I wouldn't incur phone charges from use by a thief, but no other action would be taken. Bummer...