What'S This Samui Feature ?

Had a quick look at G Maps and saw this feature in the south of the island at 9.419258,99.945667 . I know I have only been here 18 years and haven't ventured down that way often but have never noticed it before. Doesn't appear to be anything to do with mooring boats etc. from what I can see. Any ideas anyone ?

its part of the Thai Navel / Army Base

Don't think so, but could be wrong.

I have a friend who live just to the west so will ask him.

I do know that close to that point is where the under sea electricity cables arrive from the mainland.

Edited by yorkie100

More info.

Apparently the pier was built 10-15 years ago by the Tessaban with the intention of running boats to and from the mainland.

The project never got off the ground(?) because they found the water was too shallow!!!

Now where have I heard that before?

There is a sala at the end and you are able to drive down and picnic if you wish.

Edited by yorkie100

More info.

Apparently the pier was built 10-15 years ago by the Tessaban with the intention of running boats to and from the mainland.

The project never got off the ground(?) because they found the water was too shallow!!!

There is a sala at the end and you are able to drive down and picnic if you wish.

Picnic!?! When was the last time you were there? There is 2 toilets joined on to that sala wich are unconnected and smashed up but still seem to get filled up quite often. The roof of the sala is also falling in and there are empty Lao khao bottles and burned tin foil wraps all over the floor from you know what. IMHO there are much nicer places on Samui to picnicwai.gif

More info.

Picnic!?! When was the last time you were there? There is 2 toilets joined on to that sala wich are unconnected and smashed up but still seem to get filled up quite often. The roof of the sala is also falling in and there are empty Lao khao bottles and burned tin foil wraps all over the floor from you know what. IMHO there are much nicer places on Samui to picnicwai.gif

SORRREEE!

Never been there, just repeating what I have been told. As usual when trying to help, there's always someone ready to criticise.

• Like 2

Had a quick look at G Maps and saw this feature in the south of the island at 9.419258,99.945667 . I know I have only been here 18 years and haven't ventured down that way often but have never noticed it before. Doesn't appear to be anything to do with mooring boats etc. from what I can see. Any ideas anyone ?

I must be using a different Google Earth to everyone. Those coordinates do not exist in KS, in fact I am unaware that you can have 99.945667. Surly you cannot go above 99.59999, before it becoming 100.0000coffee1.gif

I must be using a different Google Earth to everyone. Those coordinates do not exist in KS, in fact I am unaware that you can have 99.945667. Surly you cannot go above 99.59999, before it becoming 100.0000coffee1.gif

Copy/paste those numbers into google maps, brings it up perfectly for me.

• Like 1

Very strange, on my Google Earth this pier is located at 9.25.09.27 N, 99.56.44.57 E?????

Anyway, I was told many years ago that this was the original ferry pier in Samui, hence the guide markers on the local hills.

Very strange, on my Google Earth this pier is located at 9.25.09.27 N, 99.56.44.57 E?????

Anyway, I was told many years ago that this was the original ferry pier in Samui, hence the guide markers on the local hills.

I am with you Eric. On my google earth it is the same. Longitude/Latitude locations are degrees, minutes, seconds (nothing more than 60 for the last two.) It would seem that others are using maps which obviously are a different system.

• Like 1

Tropicalevo, it's just occured to me that we must be using old fashioned coordinates. Maybe degrees, minutes & seconds have been decimalised since we were at school. That would make sense if we now have 100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in a degree, then yes indeed you could have coordinates of 99.945667 east. Back to school................!!!!!angry.png

• Like 1

Tropicalevo, it's just occured to me that we must be using old fashioned coordinates. Maybe degrees, minutes & seconds have been decimalised since we were at school. That would make sense if we now have 100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in a degree, then yes indeed you could have coordinates of 99.945667 east. Back to school................!!!!!angry.png

I think - note the word think - that Google Earth has options, and will accept either decimalised minutes or the more correct minutes, seconds etc. Pasting decimal into Earth, I get the feature, and at the bottom of the screen, I also get the minutes version.

It does not say it in my preferred way of describing it, which is, 'at the bottom left of Samui, just in a bit, on the coast, sticking out to sea ........'laugh.png

I think - note the word think - that Google Earth has options, and will accept either decimalised minutes or the more correct minutes, seconds etc. Pasting decimal into Earth, I get the feature, and at the bottom of the screen, I also get the minutes version.

It does not say it in my preferred way of describing it, which is, 'at the bottom left of Samui, just in a bit, on the coast, sticking out to sea ........'laugh.png

Two good answers, thanks guys. clap2.gif (Decimalisation - great one!)

and thank you for the udate on technology itshothere. I will just get out my quill pen and write to The Times! wai.gif

The story that I heard in 2005, was that it was going to be for Raja Ferry. But that there was some bad blood with their neighbor ( possibly a disgruntled family member ) that owned land they needed for access, but wouldn't sell it to them.

You can see when you drive down there, that there is a section of the access road that isn't concreted, and I was told that this is why it never happened.

Any more theories?