New Pcx 150

tekinsel

Extended Range Fuel Tank

Anybody heard of such a thing for the PCX (150)? Sometimes a road trip, especially on a route that is new, it can get to be a nuisance to stop early because of not knowing when the next gasoline station is. It would be nice to get the PCX up to about 10 or 12 liters of total fuel on board. Of course, I haven't had one apart to see how the fuel tank is mounted, if there is empty space around it, etc? Unless it is a larger tank to replace the original, it can get complicated quickly with issues about filling, transfer, and vapor locking.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extended Range Fuel Tank

Anybody heard of such a thing for the PCX (150)? Sometimes a road trip, especially on a route that is new, it can get to be a nuisance to stop early because of not knowing when the next gasoline station is. It would be nice to get the PCX up to about 10 or 12 liters of total fuel on board. Of course, I haven't had one apart to see how the fuel tank is mounted, if there is empty space around it, etc? Unless it is a larger tank to replace the original, it can get complicated quickly with issues about filling, transfer, and vapor locking.

I doubt very much you can extend the fuel tank easily, I think the 150's tank is slightly smaller than the 125's and there must be a reason for this.

Why don't you carry 1-2 lit of extra fuel in your luggage?

Extended Range Fuel Tank

I doubt very much you can extend the fuel tank easily, I think the 150's tank is slightly smaller than the 125's and there must be a reason for this.

I have riden mine all over thailand and by the time the tank is low 2 - 3 hours at 100 kph I need a potty break and my back and butt needs a break too. I do know a few places in thailand where there is just under 100 km between fuel and that was a problem on the my Wave. But never with the PCX. 10 - 12 Lt. of fuel would be a good 10 hour day and I would think somewhere in there one would need to stop for food, a toilet, etc !

Extended Range Fuel Tank

If you are not carrying anything in the luggage bin under the seat there is room in there, maybe , for a small 4l gas can? If not at least a 1.5l water bottle filled with gas for emergency. But in Thailand you can buy bottled gas almost everywhere in remote areas.

But yes your butt will get tired long before you run out of fuel.

Yeah, I agree with what you guys are saying about needing the drink and toilet break anyways. But I was on a recent ride on a different bike where I had to make an extra stop or two "just to be sure" I would have enough fuel. That was as I was leaving Kabin Buri on highway 304 and getting ready to cross that mountain pass on the way to Korat.

But even for city driving, I find it desirable to just do a bigger fill up less frequently.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Extended Range Fuel Tank

The gas tank on the 125 is stated to be 6.06 liters; on the 150 it is 6.1 liters. The figures come from 2 different sites, so the 150 figure may be rounded up. The fuel tank sizes are the same or, if anything, the 150 tank is very slightly larger.

I would buy gas in a bottle from a road side stand before i would carry it in a bottle on the bike. And while i would not complain if the PCX came with a standard fuel tank of 8 - 9 liters (or offered a larger tank as a low cost option), I (and I expect most riders) would not pay very much to change to a larger tank, even if it is possible. I buy gas once each week, and with a bigger tank it would be once every week and a half, and it takes less than 5 minutes. How much is that worth? Not very much I think.

I do wish that it came with bigger wheels, wider tires, and a rear luggage comparment so that I can carry a week's groceries, all for the same price as the current model (as long as I am "wishing", for B10,000 less). I won't hold my breath.......and as far as a 12 liter fuel tank goes, I suggest that you don't either.

A full tank does about 200kms right?

Honda claims "the fuel consumption figures for the PCX are 46.0km/l / 130mpg with Idle Stop enabled" for the 125. That is over 250 km from full to empty. I expect that fuel economy for the 150 is somewhat less, and the Honda powersports site says that the 150 gets 102 mpg (43.3647 km/l), which is still over 250 km from full to empty. Of course, YMMV.

A full tank does about 200kms right?

Honda claims "the fuel consumption figures for the PCX are 46.0km/l / 130mpg with Idle Stop enabled" for the 125. That is over 250 km from full to empty. I expect that fuel economy for the 150 is somewhat less, and the Honda powersports site says that the 150 gets 102 mpg (43.3647 km/l), which is still over 250 km from full to empty. Of course, YMMV.

I normally get around 200 km on mine before the low level bar starts to flash, and we are talking city riding so it's pretty good. It must be even better if you are cruising as say 80 km/h.

I normally get around 200 km on mine before the low level bar starts to flash, and we are talking city riding so it's pretty good. It must be even better if you are cruising as say 80 km/h.

The handbook states that the fuel gauge will start flashing when approximately 1.5 liters of petrol are remaining in the tank, so it looks like you are ROTM (200 + 60 km, full to empty).

The handbook states that the fuel gauge will start flashing when approximately 1.5 liters of petrol are remaining in the tank, so it looks like you are ROTM (200 + 60 km, full to empty).

That's right. I filled up with one bar left (not yet flashing) and I had done 200 kms, mostly city riding including many stretches (along the frontage road) cruising at 80-100 kmh.

That's right. I filled up with one bar left (not yet flashing) and I had done 200 kms, mostly city riding including many stretches (along the frontage road) cruising at 80-100 kmh.

The EFI is very good at adjusting the fuel/air mix to the engine, on our 4 year old carb. Fino I only get app 100-120 km out of 1 tank-full and that's about 3-3.5 ltr and the engine is only 115cc.

I was at some stage tempted to buy a Sym Evo 300cc but I think I read somewhere that you can expect something like 27 km/l during city riding, sure I can afford the extra fuel cost but for city riding I don't really see the point in the lager scooter. If I had 10km of highway riding to do to get into Pattaya it would be nice with the extra power but I don't.

PCX rocks, only major concern is theft, not long time ago they found 6 pcs hidden in the under growth on a field near the majors house here in Pattaya.

The EFI is very good at adjusting the fuel/air mix to the engine, on our 4 year old carb. Fino I only get app 100-120 km out of 1 tank-full and that's about 3-3.5 ltr and the engine is only 115cc.

I was at some stage tempted to buy a Sym Evo 300cc but I think I read somewhere that you can expect something like 27 km/l during city riding, sure I can afford the extra fuel cost but for city riding I don't really see the point in the lager scooter. If I had 10km of highway riding to do to get into Pattaya it would be nice with the extra power but I don't.

PCX rocks, only major concern is theft, not long time ago they found 6 pcs hidden in the under growth on a field near the majors house here in Pattaya.

The Fino has a fuel tank capacity of 3.7 liters and get approximately 96 mpg (40.81 km/l), which isn't bad for a bike with a carb, even if only 115 cc. You are limited to about 120 km on a tank of fuel, which makes the range of the PCX almost double.

I don't see fuel economy or distance between fill ups major points for bikes or a comparison between models. For me, decent pick-up, comfort and style are the main things to consider, and the PCX is way out ahead of all of the other available bikes in all three; nothing else is even close. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I am amazed at the number of nonsense posts comparing the number of hooks to carry groceries (the PCX has none, but they can be added easily), the ease and ability to hook on bungi cords to carry your sofa on your motorbike, and comparisons down to a fraction of a km on fuel economy. But if your motorbike is your only transportation and you have never heard of a baht bus or taxi and 5 or 6 baht per week is a major financial expenditure, then such concerns may be important -- not to me. I think that people thay worry about such things have a lot of free time and not much sense.

I do like the looks of the Sym and the Jonway Ranger, but, like you, I just can't see the usefulness of either one around town.

Theft with the PCX is a major concern -- it is a concern with any motorbike, but more so with the PCX. In addition to the ignition/steering lock, I have 3 locks on my PCX. But all 3 lock the bike through the front wheel, so while it can't be driven away, the bike can be lifted into a truck pretty easily. No easy solution to something that light and portable. Making it the most difficult bike in the lot to steal is probably the best you can do.

I don't see fuel economy or distance between fill ups major points for bikes or a comparison between models. For me, decent pick-up, comfort and style are the main things to consider, and the PCX is way out ahead of all of the other available bikes in all three; nothing else is even close. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I am amazed at the number of nonsense posts comparing the number of hooks to carry groceries (the PCX has none, but they can be added easily), the ease and ability to hook on bungi cords to carry your sofa on your motorbike, and comparisons down to a fraction of a km on fuel economy. But if your motorbike is your only transportation and you have never heard of a baht bus or taxi and 5 or 6 baht per week is a major financial expenditure, then such concerns may be important -- not to me. I think that people thay worry about such things have a lot of free time and not much sense.

Take a good look at the PCX before you mention putting after market hooks. If you put one in front of your knees where the hook appears on other bikes. the under carriage is too horizontal to allow grocery bags and the like to hang without falling off. One can improvise and put hooks or other devices on the handle bars but it just won't work putting one where you'd find one on the Nouvo for example. You can make light of this all you want, but we will put up to 3 to 4 grocery bags on that front hook. And we do this about once a week. As for hanging things on the back seat with bungee cords, you just can't do it without scratching up the bike. My neighbor Pier tried it and that's what happened. And what about the absence of a kick starter? What happens if your battery goes dead or your starter fails? I've often had that happen with tractors while farming and if you have a corroded terminal on a battery or on the starter where the cable connects it you will be dead in the water until you scrape the corroded terminal clean to get the electrical charge through. The kick starts get you started in such cases.

Face it--the PCX is a beautiful bike with a lot of good points but it's simply not nearly as practical as a Nouvo Elegance.

Take a good look at the PCX before you mention putting after market hooks. If you put one in front of your knees where the hook appears on other bikes. the under carriage is too horizontal to allow grocery bags and the like to hang without falling off. One can improvise and put hooks or other devices on the handle bars but it just won't work putting one where you'd find one on the Nouvo for example. You can make light of this all you want, but we will put up to 3 to 4 grocery bags on that front hook. And we do this about once a week. As for hanging things on the back seat with bungee cords, you just can't do it without scratching up the bike. My neighbor Pier tried it and that's what happened. And what about the absence of a kick starter? What happens if your battery goes dead or your starter fails? I've often had that happen with tractors while farming and if you have a corroded terminal on a battery or on the starter where the cable connects it you will be dead in the water until you scrape the corroded terminal clean to get the electrical charge through. The kick starts get you started in such cases.

Face it--the PCX is a beautiful bike with a lot of good points but it's simply not nearly as practical as a Nouvo Elegance.

I tend to agree with you regarding the hook thing. On our little Fino we can carry much more than on the PCX, hell I can even put a case of beer on the foot rest on the Fino and that's very very importantbiggrin.png, not possible on the pcx. We have a hook on the fino but not really practical to do on the pcx as you also mention so I didn't bother.

I do very limited shopping on the pcx, but I do go shopping for special expat food on it where I don't buy much and can easily have the groceries under the seat.

Anyway we will keep the fino for now as my wife find the pcx too big, but the pcx wins hands down for comfort (for me) and more power.

Weekly big shopping is done in the car anyway but our scooters are irreplaceable for small errands and you can park easily and get quickly around. I learned the hard way that using the car in the weekend here in Pattaya can be a nightmare because of the heavy traffic and you are stuck.

The only aftermarket grocery hooks for the PCX that I have seen (I really haven’t looked because they don’t interest me in the least) mount on the handle bars. They look as if they would work as well as the factory installed hooks on the Click or Nouvo, etc. That they are in a different location is, I think, irrelevant. A friend with a new PCX 150 has two hooks on his handlebars and a large Givi box on the back. He can easily transport 6 (or more) bags of groceries on his PCX in the box, under the seat, and hanging on the hooks. I happened to be at Lotus on Sukumvit on my PCX 125 during the Great Diet Cola Shortage of March – May 2012. Lotus had some Diet Pepsi, so I bought all they had, about 25 to 30 1.25 lt. bottles. As I pushed the cart with my Pepsi toward the parking lot I kept thinking to myself “how the hell am I going to get all this stuff home????” And these were loose bottles in shopping bags, not plastic sealed cartons. I was able to secure all of the bottles on my PCX with bungee cords behind me and drive the 10 km back home. Not a scratch or scuff on the PCX. Had it been 2 cases of beer in cardboard boxes (or a desktop computer CPU) it would have been a piece of cake (I might have also wanted a few pieces of strong string for added stability). That your friend is mechanically challenged doesn’t prove much, I think. In the name of full disclosure, I have a rear rack on my PCX 125 (and I have since added a 33 liter box and a grab bar, which adds even more points to easily attach/anchor bungee cords), so it was pretty easy to put the bottles of Pepsi in double bags, pass the bungee cords through the bag handles and secure them to the rack, some on the rack and some on the seat behind me. To my amazement, one bottle was able to work its way out of the plastic bag due to the pressure of the tightly pulled bungee cords and fell on the street and exploded – bummer! But if you want to use a PCX as a substitute for a pick-up truck, with a few minor and cheap modifications, you certainly can, and carry as much if not more than on a Nouvo – try thinking outside the box, just a little bit.

I have and have had 3 automatic Honda motorbikes in the past 5 years, all bought brand new. Not one has ever failed to start the first time, not once! I don’t use my PCX like a tractor. Do you use your Nouvo like one? I guess I won’t be surprised if your answer is “yes”. If I lived in Kansas or the Land of Oz with Dorothy and Toto, 100 miles from the closest neighbor, perhaps a kick start would be a valuable feature. But this is Pattaya, Thailand. I never have any problems with my little automatics, but if I do have a problem with a motorcycle where it won’t start (I have had a few with my 750 Shadow), I call my mechanic who comes to my house and takes care of the problem for B150. If he cannot fix it at my house, he and his friend push my bike (amazing to watch!) back to his shop and he brings it back when it is fixed, again in the range of B150. Of the features I would add to my PCX, a kick start ranks just above a kitchen sink and just below a porta-potty.

Face it – the Nouvo Elegance was a great bike (rather ugly, but nonetheless a good bike) when it was first introduced, but it has been left in the dust by the PCX on every (read my lips, “every”) important feature, including practicality, versatility and usefulness (meaning, of course, driven and used as a motorbike “should” be used). Yamaha has given up on the Elegance for good reason. You should too……

Is this guy another friend of yours? You and he have a lot in common ideas wise. whistling.gif

Next.........

The only aftermarket grocery hooks for the PCX that I have seen (I really haven’t looked because they don’t interest me in the least) mount on the handle bars. They look as if they would work as well as the factory installed hooks on the Click or Nouvo, etc. That they are in a different location is, I think, irrelevant. A friend with a new PCX 150 has two hooks on his handlebars and a large Givi box on the back. He can easily transport 6 (or more) bags of groceries on his PCX in the box, under the seat, and hanging on the hooks. I happened to be at Lotus on Sukumvit on my PCX 125 during the Great Diet Cola Shortage of March – May 2012. Lotus had some Diet Pepsi, so I bought all they had, about 25 to 30 1.25 lt. bottles. As I pushed the cart with my Pepsi toward the parking lot I kept thinking to myself “how the hell am I going to get all this stuff home????” And these were loose bottles in shopping bags, not plastic sealed cartons. I was able to secure all of the bottles on my PCX with bungee cords behind me and drive the 10 km back home. Not a scratch or scuff on the PCX. Had it been 2 cases of beer in cardboard boxes (or a desktop computer CPU) it would have been a piece of cake (I might have also wanted a few pieces of strong string for added stability). That your friend is mechanically challenged doesn’t prove much, I think. In the name of full disclosure, I have a rear rack on my PCX 125 (and I have since added a 33 liter box and a grab bar, which adds even more points to easily attach/anchor bungee cords), so it was pretty easy to put the bottles of Pepsi in double bags, pass the bungee cords through the bag handles and secure them to the rack, some on the rack and some on the seat behind me. To my amazement, one bottle was able to work its way out of the plastic bag due to the pressure of the tightly pulled bungee cords and fell on the street and exploded – bummer! But if you want to use a PCX as a substitute for a pick-up truck, with a few minor and cheap modifications, you certainly can, and carry as much if not more than on a Nouvo – try thinking outside the box, just a little bit.

I have and have had 3 automatic Honda motorbikes in the past 5 years, all bought brand new. Not one has ever failed to start the first time, not once! I don’t use my PCX like a tractor. Do you use your Nouvo like one? I guess I won’t be surprised if your answer is “yes”. If I lived in Kansas or the Land of Oz with Dorothy and Toto, 100 miles from the closest neighbor, perhaps a kick start would be a valuable feature. But this is Pattaya, Thailand. I never have any problems with my little automatics, but if I do have a problem with a motorcycle where it won’t start (I have had a few with my 750 Shadow), I call my mechanic who comes to my house and takes care of the problem for B150. If he cannot fix it at my house, he and his friend push my bike (amazing to watch!) back to his shop and he brings it back when it is fixed, again in the range of B150. Of the features I would add to my PCX, a kick start ranks just above a kitchen sink and just below a porta-potty.

Face it – the Nouvo Elegance was a great bike (rather ugly, but nonetheless a good bike) when it was first introduced, but it has been left in the dust by the PCX on every (read my lips, “every”) important feature, including practicality, versatility and usefulness (meaning, of course, driven and used as a motorbike “should” be used). Yamaha has given up on the Elegance for good reason. You should too……

Is this guy another friend of yours? You and he have a lot in common ideas wise. whistling.gif

Next.........

First off I have a car for doing the pick up imitation bit.

I can add a sidecar to my Nouvo Elegance and put a lot more stuff on my bike than you can.

My point is, sure you can add hooks to the handle bars of a PCX and impair the bike's handling. You can add luggage to the rear of the bike and make it even more difficult to park and easier to get sideswiped as well. And while doing that add even more cost to a bike that is already according to many here, way overpriced.

But the most nonsensical thing you have posted so far is this: " has been left in the dust by the PCX on every (read my lips, “every”) important feature, including practicality, versatility and usefulness (meaning, of course, driven and used as a motorbike “should” be used).

There is no way that the PCX begins to compare to the Yamaha or for that matter to many other bikes for practicality, overall usefulness or versatility. It might ride better due to its substantial greater weight. It might look better to some. It might perform a little better on the highway. However, now that I've upgraded my tires I'd venture to say my Elegance is going to be very competitive in that department while being the PCX's master in city traffic and be clearly the more versatile all rounder. If the Yamaha wasn't, you can bet your last dollar that I would have traded a long time ago because I certainly can afford to do so.

If your carrying lots of groceries one way of doing it is to buy 2 of the big striped bags they sell all over Pattaya and a piece of rope. Put your groceries in the bags, then tie the handles together and lift on to seat and vola!!! You have a pair of gay looking saddlebags. But they are useful!

Me, I just drive the pick-up up to Makro......it just makes sense!

It's horses for courses isn't it? What is suitable for one is not always suitable for another.

My PCX is the same handlebar width as a Nouvo...........but I do have custom handlebars. I can go through Bangkok traffic same as a Nouvo. I have grab bars on the back now so fitting bungee cords for carrying loads of stuff is not a problem for me. (Ask Sumet)

I like the extended range of the PCX plus the comfort. I have ridden mine from Bangkok to Udon and down to Phuket. I travel often to Patts on it. smile.png

I've had the Fino (which I thought was fun) and both Nouvo's. They are also handy at what they do.

No doubt the PCX is the better cruiser for longer distances though.

Edited by Phatcharanan

• 2 weeks later...

After years of riding 2nd hand bikes, I visited Mityon yesterday, to make myself a "birthday-present" and buy the PCX 150 because of it's larger size.

But it ended frustrating after I tried the sitting-position, which I found very uncomfortable for me.

Ok, I am ~190cm/100Kg, but compared to a, let's say a Click/Nuovo/etc., the sitting position is not really better.

Maybe another seat would help a little bit.

But the distance from the handlebars to the footplate is just to short, so the space between handlebars and my knees is very uncomfortable.sad.png

The PCX is a really nice bike, but for now I will keep my Wave, which offers imho the best sitting-position for large guys.

After years of riding 2nd hand bikes, I visited Mityon yesterday, to make myself a "birthday-present" and buy the PCX 150 because of it's larger size.

But it ended frustrating after I tried the sitting-position, which I found very uncomfortable for me.

Ok, I am ~190cm/100Kg, but compared to a, let's say a Click/Nuovo/etc., the sitting position is not really better.

Maybe another seat would help a little bit.

But the distance from the handlebars to the footplate is just to short, so the space between handlebars and my knees is very uncomfortable.sad.png

The PCX is a really nice bike, but for now I will keep my Wave, which offers imho the best sitting-position for large guys.

Well you are a big guy so I think the right seat will help you a lot so you can sit more back on the seat.

I am 186 myself and I can just fit in with the original seat, okay I could use a bit more leg room but still the most comfortable Thai bike I ever owned.

Got a few bits from PowerbyPCX...new seat, hybred shocks and an exhaust...cumfort/ride is better now, but the exhaust was a little louder than I expected but not that bad wink.png

20121029_161711Medium.jpg

Got a few bits from PowerbyPCX...new seat, hybred shocks and an exhaust...cumfort/ride is better now, but the exhaust was a little louder than I expected but not that bad wink.png

Won't you be scuffing your road tax with your heels?

Won't you be scuffing your road tax with your heels?

It's okay...I don't wear my heels on the PCX..just flip-flops tongue.png