Has Anybody Ever Failed A Medical For A Work Permit?

Very interesting...how could you fail without knowing it? You don't need to go to a specific doctor (from the Labor Ministry's point of view), so you just choose a more helpful doctor, and turn THAT certificate in with your paperwork. Most doctors who provide that service check only to see if you're breathing and have a pulse, if that...

You might fail the test if you have Elephantiasis, one of the blocks to check on the ridiculous form, but it's doubtful the Doctors would recognize it! Of course there's the STD's which have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to teach in a classroom.

You might fail the test if you have Elephantiasis, one of the blocks to check on the ridiculous form, but it's doubtful the Doctors would recognize it! Of course there's the STD's which have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to teach in a classroom.

No way is that on the form

Elephantiasis is on the medical requirements and now Syphilis is a required test since 2009. From Sunbelt

A recent medical certificate from a first-class licensed physician in Thailand stating that the applicant is not of unsound mind and not suffering from leprosy, acute tuberculosis, elephantiasis, narcotic addition or habitual alcoholism and a test for syphilis. Also, the certificate must indicate the applicant's blood type.

//edit - BTW they are enforcing the syphilis test as I had to get one on my last WP renewal whereas the previous years I did not. Other members have reported the same.

Until this past Nov., my WP/B-1 visa exam consisted of checking my pulse, blood pressure and poking around my ears and throat. That's it. These exams were done in more indigenous Thai hospitals outside BKK.

This past Nov, I had my exam done at BNH (a higher-end int'l hospital) on Convent, between Sathorn and Silom roads. They did all the above + chest x-rays + blood test. Much more thorough, and yes, I passed with flying colors; doc said I was in great shape, especially for a 53 year-old dude. It does appear they are taking the exams more seriously. Which I like, since I had not had anything resembling a real physical in about 12 years as the most serious ailments I've had are a sore throat once every few years.

For most of the nineties, you were deemed healthy enough when you were able to draw your wallet, take about 50 baht out of it, and hand it over. Later doctors became more dilligent, checking your breathing and your blood pressure. But the last time I needed a medical, the doctor decided I was fit enough because I was in too much of a hurry to go through any test.

When they tested me, they looked in my eyes, maybe in my ears, maybe listened to my heart, it was soo minimal that I can't even really remember, as it took approximately 2 minutes (had to wait for around 1h+ to be seen though grrr). They didn't even ask me what my blood type was, let alone test my blood. I think that it'd be very difficult to fail unless you had clearly visible symptoms of something.

.... Of course there's the STD's which have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to teach in a classroom.

True but it's a fair indicator of ones moral compass and sense of social responsibility? Maybe not salient points if ones work involves those nebulous, internet-based entities that one has set up with their hi-so, Thai-Chinese partner but I would guess that the TEFL'ing former cabby from Salford may have problems getting his head around it. It could also be due to ones religious beliefs but unlikely.

Well, it is. In the past, the doc looked at me and asked: "Are you feeling alright?" and then signed it. Last time, I never even saw the doc, only his secretary. So, it's a mere formality, don't worry too much about it.

Well, it is. In the past, the doc looked at me and asked: "Are you feeling alright?" and then signed it. Last time, I never even saw the doc, only his secretary. So, it's a mere formality, don't worry too much about it.

Yes, those days are gone for the time being. Medical for work permit must be conducted in a hospital with blood tests.

Things have sure changed, I used to go to a clinic, give them 100 baht and walk out with a passing grade.

I guess the poster meant the new requirements for the labor department. A colleague just went to obtain a medical from a clinic for 50 baht, but was declined by labor department. New all over the country now is a Syphilis and a blood/urine test. jap.gif

Last month I had a medical check at a clinic near the Labor Dept. for a renewal and was given a 2 minute syphilis test and was found POSITIVE. That would be considered a failed test. Later that day I went to a hospital and was given a clean bill of health after extensive checkup.

Don't the stricter health check requirements only apply for those applying for a work permit, not extending it?

The requirement appears to be sporadic, 3 of us from my work renewed our work permits in December last year, only one of us needed a medical. I changed employers in January this year (still same parent company though) and at first they told our HR person who deals with work permits that I would need a medical but a few days later she sent me an email saying she was told not required.

My medical for permanent residence years ago had to be done in a government hospital. The doctor said< "You feel OK today", and I said, "Yes", whereupon he started ticking all the boxes on the form to affirm I was free from diseases like elephantiasis and alcoholism. The one thing he did check was syphilis which has also oddly enough become mandatory for a WP since 2010. In another thread someone cited a story of a female teacher who suffered the humiliation of failing the syphilis test her would-be employer sent her for and having her job offer cancelled.

Syph is on the rise and people might easily not know they have it. Anyway the basic VDRL test can give a false positive in the case of someone who has been cured of syphilis and there can be plain incompetence in testing. If there is any shadow of a doubt, it would be worth getting a preliminary test done beforehand with enough time (at least two weeks but preferably more) to get a cure, if necessary. And yes, I am sure there are clinics who will fill in the form without testing for a fee.

For my latest medical check for WP application (new employer) I was told I had to go to a state hospital as private clinic would not suffice. So I went and blood as well as urine was tested (result: amphetamines NEG). X-ray of the chest was made (TBC check I guess).

Anyway all my previous medical checks I was in and out a clinic within 30 minutes paying maybe 200 Baht max. This time I spend more than a half day in the hospital just to be told to come back the next day for the results and to see the doctor. The second day I sat around waiting for another 2+ hours. The doctor only asked me if everything was fine health wise which I confirmed and he seemed satisfied with that in combination with the lab results. Off I went but not after paying almost 1,000 Baht.

Later I learned that others still apply successfully for their WP's here in Phuket with medical certificates from private clinics. I should have known.

Many years ago they were doing "Stress Test" if you were over a certain age for certain jobs. Not sure if they still do that but I know at that time even if the stress test was passed that work permit was almost impossible to get. But that was about 8 years ago and only for certain job types for folks over 60 years of age.

Edited by rotary

The syph testing is now being enforced by the employment office here in NST. My previous medicals involved me waiting in the car while the wife ran in to the doctors reception with my passport and 50 baht.

In answer to the above question, in NST at least, the test is being enforced for new work permits AND for renewals (extentions).

Not had any reports of people failing the test, and seems a very odd test to single out given that HIV is on the medical form as a possible test, but flagged "Not tested".

Don't the stricter health check requirements only apply for those applying for a work permit, not extending it?

No, I think they are the same.

That would have been my question, too. Thanks for the reply.

Whatever the law is, as usual the way it is applied varies. When extending my work permit last december, all I needed was a certificate quickly written out by a local clinic, I was in and out in two minutes. But I am staying upcountry, in Bangkok it might be different.

Recently had to go and get the "proper" medical for my WP or Visa (never sure what department requires the cert).

My usual clinic that has always issued them said, sorry cannot do any more as the blood test was now required and directed me to a hospital. One hour later and Baht 600 lighter in pocket, I had my certificate.

Unfortunately the old system has changed where I used to be able to send my driver to go and get my "medical checkup" at that same clinic.