UK pensions

1 hour ago, grahambkk said:

Where can I sign? The non-indexation is a grave injustice and should be rectified. I have been following this issue for some while, even involved my MP in the UK but no traction these past 2 years

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sign what? If you mean the petition which featured at the start of this thread, that expired years ago.

There are a few MPs who continue to press the government on this, and there was a debate in the House of Commons a few weeks ago, but with the election being called, the matter just lapses again until someone gets a chance to raise it again in the next Parliament.

17 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Sign what? If you mean the petition which featured at the start of this thread, that expired years ago.

There are a few MPs who continue to press the government on this, and there was a debate in the House of Commons a few weeks ago, but with the election being called, the matter just lapses again until someone gets a chance to raise it again in the next Parliament.

And forget it ,just like they always do ,pigs will fly first 

I have been trying to point out that the only thing you can do is to look after your own interests. There is no way on God's green earth that any Government will ever increase State pensions for those who are not part of the existing arrangement. It is almost unkind to lead people into believing that a petition or lobbying MPs on this subject will ever lead to anything.

Time would be better spent educating ex pats on budgeting and investments. I am always amazed at coffee mornings and meetings at the number of people living here in Thailand who have no laid out budget of any kind and just live from day to day hoping their meagre pensions will see them through while ordering another round of drinks for all and sundry. If your income is limited, you need to be even more careful.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Why expend your energy on this counsel of doom and gloom ?

The only body that can change the frozen pensions scandal is Parliament.

The only people who can exercise a vote are MP's.

Whether you are sceptical or optimistic about achieving change through this process, it happens to be the only game in town.

Budgeting tutorials at ex pat coffee mornings might ease cash flow in the short term but it won't fix the long term reality of a pension that is not susceptible to periodic increases. By all means try to support each other and ease the pain through budgeting and investment tips but to give up on the power of your vote and the pressure you can exert directly on MP,s and political parties is a recipe for defeat.

Well said

Could this be possible true in the U.K. 

STATE PENSION - keep this going please

Read and pass on:
Dear Prime Minister The RT. Hon. David Cameron, MP.
I wish to ask you a Question:- "Is This True?"
I refer to the Pension Reality Check.

Are you aware of the following ?

The British Government provides the following financial assistance:-

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER
(bearing in mind they worked hard and paid their Income Tax and National
Insurance contributions to the British Government all their working life)
Weekly allowance: £106.00

IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN
(No Income Tax and National Insurance contribution whatsoever)
Weekly allowance: £250.00

Weekly Spouse Allowance: £25.00

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN
Weekly Spouse Allowance: £225.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £0.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £100.00

A British old age pensioner is no less hard up than an illegal immigrant/refugee yet receives nothing

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £6,000

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £29,900

Please read all and then forward to all your contacts so that we can lobby for a decent state pension.
After all, the average pensioner has paid taxes and contributed to the growth of this country for the last 40 to 60 years.
Sad isn't it? Surely it's about time we put our own people first.

Please have the guts to forward this. or copy an paste

I JUST DID!

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Could this be possible true in the U.K. 

STATE PENSION - keep this going please

Read and pass on:
Dear Prime Minister The RT. Hon. David Cameron, MP.
I wish to ask you a Question:- "Is This True?"
I refer to the Pension Reality Check.

Are you aware of the following ?

The British Government provides the following financial assistance:-

(bearing in mind they worked hard and paid their Income Tax and National
Insurance contributions to the British Government all their working life)
Weekly allowance: £106.00

IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN
(No Income Tax and National Insurance contribution whatsoever)
Weekly allowance: £250.00

Weekly Spouse Allowance: £25.00

Weekly Spouse Allowance: £225.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £0.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £100.00

A British old age pensioner is no less hard up than an illegal immigrant/refugee yet receives nothing

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £6,000

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £29,900

Please read all and then forward to all your contacts so that we can lobby for a decent state pension.
After all, the average pensioner has paid taxes and contributed to the growth of this country for the last 40 to 60 years.
Sad isn't it? Surely it's about time we put our own people first.

Please have the guts to forward this. or copy an paste

I JUST DID!

This is just a rehash of the fake e-mail doing the rounds a number of years ago. .

• Like 2
14 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

This is just a rehash of the fake e-mail doing the rounds a number of years ago. .

Are you saying that it is all lies then?

Could seach for the real truth and come back with figures that are different and actually refute the post, or are you simply dismissing the post as a fake without checking?

Edited by billd766
bad spelling and grammar
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Are you saying that it is all lies then?

Could seach for the real truth and come back with figures that are different and actually refute the post, or are you simply dismissing the post as a fake without checking?

The  e-mail first originated in Canada around 2004 , and as subsequently done the rounds in Australia and UK , the contents are easily dismissed as the author doesnt appear to be able to differentiatei between illegal immigrants and refugees.

Ignoring the figures quoted , maybe somebody could explain how an illegal alien , who by there very nature is not in the system successfully managers to apply and recieve government assistance.

https://fullfact.org/news/are-illegal-immigrants-eligible-over-four-times-more-state-aid-pensioners/

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

Ignoring the figures quoted , maybe somebody could explain how an illegal alien , who by there very nature is not in the system successfully managers to apply and recieve government assistance.

Because they can.  They may not entitled to receive state benefits, but they can still receive some contribution-based benefits such as unemployment benefits, maternity pay and pensions.

Economic migrants claiming refugee status will, of course, get a whole slew of benefits.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

The  e-mail first originated in Canada around 2004 , and as subsequently done the rounds in Australia and UK , the contents are easily dismissed as the author doesnt appear to be able to differentiatei between illegal immigrants and refugees.

https://fullfact.org/news/are-illegal-immigrants-eligible-over-four-times-more-state-aid-pensioners/

I have read that link but it was from their archives and is over 5 years old and is somewhat vague on detail. 

Illegal immigrant are not entitled to anything the report says but asylum seekers are but the results they give are skimpy at best and years out of date.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have read that link but it was from their archives and is over 5 years old and is somewhat vague on detail. 

Illegal immigrant are not entitled to anything the report says but asylum seekers are but the results they give are skimpy at best and years out of date.

The fake e-mail is old, , why not go to the HoC library link from the full fact website I posted, which gives more details

5 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

The fake e-mail is old, , why not go to the HoC library link from the full fact website I posted, which gives more details

7 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

One of the figures that stood out to me, was that the spouse of a state pensioner receives  £61 per week. I am under the impression that the wife receives nothing, I could be wrong, perhaps someone can confirm.

Regarding the figure presented in the circular, I can well imagine some  of the figures are exaggerated. However we keep reading articles in the UK newspapers, were its stated that some so called economic refugees, do receive large state funded benefits, sometimes dressed up as assistance of another kind.

What ever the true figure is,I think the money would be better spent on our own people.

image.jpeg

The Conservative manifesto does nothing for pensioners, a very shameful attack in my opinion, triple lock down to double in 2020, winter fuel to be means tested, the cost of this is surely not worth upsetting potential supports over? It seems that the National Living wage is the priority and hope that the grey vote will stay where they are as the other offers are not going to get the chance to put them into action as almoss everyone at this moment only sees a Conservative win. Nothing in it for us and up-rating issues have gone backwards.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, nong38 said:

The Conservative manifesto does nothing for pensioners, a very shameful attack in my opinion, triple lock down to double in 2020, winter fuel to be means tested, the cost of this is surely not worth upsetting potential supports over? It seems that the National Living wage is the priority and hope that the grey vote will stay where they are as the other offers are not going to get the chance to put them into action as almoss everyone at this moment only sees a Conservative win. Nothing in it for us and up-rating issues have gone backwards.

They know that they are in an unassailable position for the general election in June. They know that even though you are angry about these changes, your only alternative is to vote Labour or Liberal Democrat. UKIP are off the planet know with that lunatic Nuttall.

• Like 2
On 5/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

That was known as the 'Adult Dependency Allowance' and was closed to new applicants w/e/f April 2010. It's paid for 10 years, so the last people to qualify will no longer receive it in 3 years' time. 

By the way, it's not paid to the spouse, but as a supplement to the pensioner's pension, therefore part of his taxable income.

When it ends and we are poorer ,will we be able to ask for more? lol

33 minutes ago, i claudius said:

When it ends and we are poorer ,will we be able to ask for more? lol

You can always ask,OlIVER, but I'm sure you'll be met with a refusel.

In the meantime check out the pensions entitlements of our Honorable Members of Parliament.

As the election approaches, it is really important that we write to all candidates in our last constituency in the UK suggesting that our vote will go to the candidate supporting unfreezing.
Here is the list- please don't spam everyone, but write a personalised email to all you can.https://docs.google.com/…/1k9daJnZIudvCYJVhMa2CQJU2Xr…/edit…
If you get a positive reply, please post name of candidate on this Facebook page

safe_image.php?d=AQCtOoJahO8cQ0aO&w=450&
Sheet1 NOTE TO ALL CAMPAIGNERS: Please email candidates in constituencies to which you have a historic link. Individual emails are far far…
DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

On 5/19/2017 at 1:39 PM, nong38 said:

The overwhelming message from discussions with the consortium this week is that we (Brits in Thailand/Rest of the World, inc those not yet old enough to draw state pensions) should join the Canadian and/or Australian groups and keep an eye on their FB, Twitter etc for details of current developments.

Contrary to the negativity that often appears here there is in fact a fair amount going on but they need support as outlined in their publications & it's in all of our interests to do whatever we can to assist instead of sitting back and letting the same few people who aren't getting any younger get on with it.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2