UK pensions

mrmazinkle

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2p re the last few pages:

- Passports: HMG (HMPO & DWP) do not have the resources to scrutinize each application to the extent implied in some posts. Whether they will eventually have that ability remains to be seen but IMO this fiasco (frozen pensions) will likely be thrown out before we ever find out.

- Benefits-v-Entitlement: State Pensions are an entitlement for which we (the workforce/taxpayers) have paid.

- ICBP & BPiA ("The Consortium"): Contributors to this thread should at the very least follow the activities of Both via FB etc. There is a great deal going on but they need support from everyone, inc by subscribing or donating as you'll see.

- Transfering funds from UK a/c: Halifax charge GBP 9.50 to do it online. I chose to move mine in STERLING. My most recent move a few days ago arrived overnight.

HTH

Today (Friday 23 February) we’ll be debating the Overseas Electors Bill, introduced by Conservative Glyn Davies MP. I hope it will command cross-party support, alongside the firm support of the government.

The Bill sets out to end the current 15-year time limit on British expats voting back at home in the UK. At the moment, British citizens who live overseas find themselves abruptly disenfranchised after they have lived abroad for 15 years, even where they still feel closely connected to our country and want to take part in elections that can affect them like any other citizen. To many, this has been a terrible injustice.

As well as removing the time limit on the right to vote for UK citizens living abroad, we intend to enfranchise any British expats who were previously resident or registered to vote in the UK. Currently, only British citizens who were registered to vote before leaving the UK may apply to become overseas electors. The bill is seeking to change this. These changes are part of the Government’s wider ambition to strengthen the foundation of democracy and continually increase voter registration by ensuring every voter’s voice is heard.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/chloe-smith-writes-about-votes-for-life-for-british-expats

24 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Benefits that can’t be reduced or stopped

The following benefits can’t be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:

• Christmas Bonus
  •  

• State Pension
  •  

• 5 hours ago, transam said:

I would suggest "knowingly" fiddling the UK benefit system is a rational fear regardless of age..

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Sorry to upset the party but I know of 2 Brits in Pattaya who 'were found out' and had to replay

25 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

They don't need to instigate court proceedings to get their money back. They simply treat it as an over payment and recover the overpaid amount from future pension payments

Its horrible, truly horrible  Farmer Giles commented before on a subject he knows naff all about....The party pooper has not re-appeared    and thirdly another ancient veteran who for years has stated (all) he thinks and it reeks of bad odor, something from the cow shed

14 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

Its horrible, truly horrible  Farmer Giles commented before on a subject he knows naff all about....The party pooper has not re-appeared    and thirdly another ancient veteran who for years has stated (all) he thinks and it reeks of bad odor, something from the cow shed

Another advantage of following the consortium is that you can expect less drivel as they're less likely to be anonymous.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

That's a fair comment but how long had you been away from the UK ? if it's a number of years I can understand it. :smile:

I have a mate living here, up North, he's been living here for about 10 years, he has been getting his pension paid into his UK bank but never had an increase because he told DWP that he was living here, I can imagine that if he went back and got it up rated it might be similar to your uplift.

I received my state pension during the year before the pension system changed to its present format so receive a lower rate the new retirees receive. This April I will receive my third annual increase and the total increase I've received over those three years is £48.24 a month. I'd certainly expect to reach that £127 quoted in a lot less than ten years.

My 2p re the last few pages:

- Passports: HMG (HMPO & DWP) do not have the resources to scrutinize each application to the extent implied in some posts. Whether they will eventually have that ability remains to be seen but IMO this fiasco (frozen pensions) will likely be thrown out before we ever find out.

- Benefits-v-Entitlement: State Pensions are an entitlement for which we (the workforce/taxpayers) have paid.

- ICBP & BPiA ("The Consortium"): Contributors to this thread should at the very least follow the activities of Both via FB etc. There is a great deal going on but they need support from everyone, inc by subscribing or donating as you'll see.

- Transfering funds from UK a/c: Halifax charge GBP 9.50 to do it online. I chose to move mine in STERLING. My most recent move a few days ago arrived overnight.

HTH

Is that a certain amount or any amount 'say some take percentage 'but you say hali take 9'50 'for any amount sent

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

They don't need to instigate court proceedings to get their money back. They simply treat it as an over payment and recover the overpaid amount from future pension payments

I’m not too sure about that. I would have thought that they would have to be very carefully, in reducing a persons pension. As it might take them below a level to sustain themselves.

Further more see the first part of post 3792 from “ alterbob”

Details will be on their website. The figure is either 5k or 10k but I usually move less than that.
Thanks its about 20 thou im iether going to put in my bag as thats the limit'but no body has told me if you can bring say 50 thou in english travels cheques in as much safer' the 20 thou is for my visa when i get sorted out '

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

I’m not too sure about that. I would have thought that they would have to be very carefully, in reducing a persons pension. As it might take them below a level to sustain themselves.

Further more see the first part of post 3792 from “ alterbob”

The recovery of a past over payment from future payments does not reduce the "correct " payment of the pension at all.

14 hours ago, altcar bob said:

• Christmas Bonus
  •  

• State Pension
  •  

•  

Oh sorry I went out but am back this morning.

Yes and once again your childish nature comes to the fore, but if that's your best input then just be careful not to cross a line..:stoner:

Was happy to read a few guys come forward with info that they know of folk who have been collared for pension fraud which has shown a few here that it does happen and l haven't been making the story up, as one particular bloke, who seems to be on the fiddle, has insinuated...

Just now, transam said:

Was happy to read a few guys come forward with info that they know of folk who have been collared for pension fraud which has shown a few here that it does happen and l haven't been making the story up, as one particular bloke, who seems to be on the fiddle, has insinuated...

No links to any believable news organization or court reports.

Most of these stories (if true), turn out to be benefit fraud, not pension increase problems.

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

No links to any believable news organization or court reports.

Most of these stories (if true), turn out to be benefit fraud, not pension increase problems.

Read carefully, my chum was done for pension stuff, if you don't believe me then that's up to you .....:sad:

23 hours ago, transam said:

Think the UK is moving to close gaps. Been watching UK real life police work via youtube on my wifi tele. They now have in car cameras that constantly scan number plates of rides, when it spots a ride with no tax, insurance, banned driver owner or no MOT it tells the officers on board. But the biggy is they also have a wee laptop that is linked to a data base with the history of anyone they maybe interested in. Plus now a roadside  test for "drug drivers"..

The net is closing in...:stoner:

Now this is interesting, especially as the thread is regarding pensions,in a pensions thread,but I have not quite worked out what the inner by-pass road in Basingstoke or the first major round-a-bout in .johno'Groats has to do with anything concerning pension ,tax nah, insurance nah,number plates ,again nah     a clue RSVP

1 minute ago, altcar bob said:

Now this is interesting, especially as the thread is regarding pensions,in a pensions thread,but I have not quite worked out what the inner by-pass road in Basingstoke or the first major round-a-bout in .johno'Groats has to do with anything concerning pension ,tax nah, insurance nah,number plates ,again nah     a clue RSVP

Well I thought "you" may not see the "hi-tech" connection...:saai:

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh sorry I went out but am back this morning.

Yes and once again your childish nature comes to the fore, but if that's your best input then just be careful not to cross a line..:stoner:

Again you attempt to (sorry big word) instinuate.  Now I am sure, yes I am, you will agree with me, that fake news is worse than no news   wot u say?.   But here I am reading fake news    Now I am sure Farmer Giles would abide with me and dispel all and every origin of fake news

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I don't believe your chum.

He is 75 years old, had a brain hemorrhage which has left him in a bit of a mess. His sister in the UK handled his paperwork, he did nothing because he can't. She just used her a address for all his correspondence and did not know about locked pensions.. He escaped any fine/problem because all was explained to the authorities but he had to pay back the over payments..

Just now, transam said:

He is 75 years old, had a brain hemorrhage which has left him in a bit of a mess. His sister in the UK handled his paperwork, he did nothing because he can't. She just used her a address for all his correspondence and did not know about locked pensions.. He escaped any fine/problem because all was explained to the authorities but he had to pay back the over payments..

...of what, his Old Age Pension?

From the GOV.UK website:

Search

Benefit fraud

You commit benefit fraud by claiming benefits you’re not entitled to on purpose. For example by:

• not reporting a change in your circumstances
  • providing false information

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

What happens if you’re suspected of benefit fraud

You’ll be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the Service and Personnel and Veterans Agency or your local authority if you’re suspected of fraud.

Your benefit may be stopped while you’re investigated. You’ll get a letter telling you about this if it happens.

You may be visited by Fraud Investigation Officers (FIOs) or asked to attend an interview to talk about your claim - this is called an ‘interview under caution’.

FIOs will gather facts about your case and decide whether to take further action.

If you’re asked to attend an interview

An ‘interview under caution’ is a formal interview that is often recorded. It could become part of a criminal investigation against you.

Get advice on your case (for example from a legal adviser or solicitor).

You can also get help and information about ‘interviews under caution’ from:

What happens after a benefit fraud investigation

If you’ve committed or attempted fraud, one or more of the following may also happen:

• you’ll be told to pay back the overpaid money
  • you may be taken to court or asked to pay a penalty (between £350 and £5,000)
  • your benefits may be reduced or stopped

Losing benefits if you’re convicted of benefit fraud

Your benefits can be reduced or stopped for up to 3 years if you’re convicted of benefit fraud. The amount of time they’re stopped for depends on how many times you’ve committed fraud.

Only certain benefits can be reduced or stopped. These are called ‘sanctionable benefits’. But if you commit fraud on a benefit that can’t be reduced or stopped, your other benefits can be reduced instead.

Sanctionable benefits

The following benefits can be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:

• Carer’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Reduced Earnings Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Retirement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Unemployability Supplement
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • War Disablement Pension
  • War Widow’s Pension 

• War Pension Unemployability Supplement 

• War Pension Allowance for Lower Standard of Occupation 

• Widowed Mother’s/Parent’s Allowance
  • Widow’s Pension/Bereavement Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit

• Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Payment
  • Bereavement Support Payment
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Christmas Bonus
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Graduated Retirement Benefit
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Constant Attendance Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable) 

• Industrial Injuries Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable)
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • State Pension
  • Social Fund Payments
  • War Pension Constant Attendance Allowance 

• War Pension Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance 

• War Pension Mobility Supplement

Exceptions

If you commit benefit fraud and you get any of the following, none of your payments can be stopped or reduced:

• Maternity Allowance
  • Statutory Adoption Pay
  • Statutory Maternity Pay
  • Statutory Paternity Pay
  • Statutory Sick Pay
17 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Then you would need to define 'permanent principal home' which would be 'a place you have the permanent right to reside'

Only one such place fits that definition for me ... the UK.

I have no permission to live in any other country for longer than 90 days. 

I am not trying to advocate one way or the other, if you want to try and justify your personal circumstances that's up to you.

To a certain extent it would depend on who you are trying to justify the position to. The Inland Revenue for example would determine if you were UK domiciled on the number of days spent in the UK in a particular tax year, other institutions may well take a different view.

One of the big problems is the ambiguous language used. The DWP uses the term "permanently resident abroad"but we are all aware that very few that live in Thailand are permanent residents. The opposite would be "permanently resident in the UK" so how much time would need to be spent in the UK for the DWP to consider you were a permanent resident. At the end of the day it would require a legal ruling to determine a definitive interpretation, until then the debate will continue.

3813   Not re-hashing your posting.  Now I hope you read your own posting inwardly digesting it, and look further into the ruling punishment available re OAP  ...nothing, excepting ' any other benefits attached to your OAP   MAY be reduced'.  Thank you for spending time researching the ever so long memo   have a nice day and enjoy your (reduced) pension  lol

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

That's a fair comment but how long had you been away from the UK ? if it's a number of years I can understand it. :smile:

I have a mate living here, up North, he's been living here for about 10 years, he has been getting his pension paid into his UK bank but never had an increase because he told DWP that he was living here, I can imagine that if he went back and got it up rated it might be similar to your uplift.

My pension started in Aug 2012 and when I went back last August I got £21.01/week difference.

The rise each year varies so it is not a straightforward calculation.

6 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

3813   Not re-hashing your posting.  Now I hope you read your own posting inwardly digesting it, and look further into the ruling punishment available re OAP  ...nothing, excepting ' any other benefits attached to your OAP   MAY be reduced'.  Thank you for spending time researching the ever so long memo   have a nice day and enjoy your (reduced) pension  lol

As you know nothing of my circumstances I would kindly ask you to wind your rather supercilious neck in, I am already in receipt of 2 pensions, the State old age Pension is just the icing on the cake. I have just used the pension credit calculator (available by following the " Explore the topic" link at the bottom of the page) unfortunately I am ineligible for pension credits as my net worth in cash alone exceeds the parameters to claim, so I will not receive a lower pension I will have the full pension due to having 45 years NIC contributions, I just won't have to rely on taxpayers to top it up as I have more than enough dosh thanks :wai:  

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

As you know nothing of my circumstances I would kindly ask you to wind your rather supercilious neck in, I am already in receipt of 2 pensions, the State old age Pension is just the icing on the cake. I have just used the pension credit calculator (available by following the " Explore the topic" link at the bottom of the page) unfortunately I am ineligible for pension credits as my net worth in cash alone exceeds the parameters to claim, so I will not receive a lower pension I will have the full pension due to having 45 years NIC contributions, I just won't have to rely on taxpayers to top it up as I have more than enough dosh thanks :wai:  

I am wondering here as you mention Pension Credits that you could ever consider ever living in Thailand, as for that matter anywhere outside GB for more than 2 xs 4 weeks annually, and as you state your 'net worth in cash' makes ineligibility to take up Pension Credit to date)   Now that is most definitely a criminal  act

23 hours ago, transam said:

One I know got a fine of 1000 quid plus pay back cash he should not have received, one did not get fined because he had a medical problem that was proven, bit of a story to that. The third ended back in the UK and l don't know the outcome, we think perhaps grassed up..

the difference to a result of a court case is that if the accused pleads guilty then the case doesn't need to be proved . A different ball game is if the accused pleads not guilty, then the Gov have to prove the offence, i have never seen any reports of a conviction, regarding the pension increase after a not guilty plea. in my opinion  if there were some convictions in this way the Government would make sure this was published somewhere in the nationals. I am not saying you are incorrect, but maybe the guy pleaded guilty.

Archived