UK pensions

mrmazinkle

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:04 AM, evadgib said:

Seen on BPiA FB:

One in 20 British expat pensioners are fiddling their state pensions by claiming inflation-linked rises to which they are not entitled, according to the government.

The British pensioners claim the annual pension increase and the £200 winter fuel allowance by telling the Department of Work and Pensions they live in the UK when they really live overseas.

By giving a friend or relative’s address in the UK as their home, expat pensioners can claim the same benefits as a pensioner who genuinely lives in Britain.

One expat pensioner who has lived for years in tropical Pattaya in Thailand was recently hauled before the courts after his scam was discovered when his mother died in Britain.

http://www.iexpats.com/cheating-expats-try-fiddle-pension-claims/

A while ago I suggested that the HMG and Data Protection did not fit well together, in other words the Data Protection act does not apply to the HMG, this article seems to confirm that I might be right.

HMRC can access your bank details if it suspects money laundering or fraud, whilst another agency might suspect terrorism, whether they have to get a judge to agree to gain access I really don't know.

But here is another heads up for everyone and especially anyone who is hoping their mother lives forever as above.

Last year a new act slipped through Parliament unnoticed "The Digital Economy Act of 2017, under this act The Office of National Statistics can gain access to your all your financial details, salary, income, benefits, investments, tax paid from HMRC etc. Vodafone will provide your location from its masts.

You will see this in full swing for the next Census in 2021 it is expected to take til 2023 to collate all the information but it looks like it might be very difficult to hide anything from HMG after that date, you might like to consider your position in the mean time and take any steps to mitigate the situation.

Further reading is available in todays "This is money.co.uk."

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Can you provide the link to this as I cannot seem to find a relevant article?

Thanks

The article seems to have been taken down rather quickly, I went back to try and find it yesterday and could not and today tried searching for it but nothing. There is one more place I can look let you know if I am successful.

A point of information Germany did a very similar think 5 years ago.

If you have a VPN you can look at Mailonline.co.uk today scroll down and look for the Richard Littlejohn article he has commented on it and in the related articles you will find what disappeared from this is money.co.uk yesterday.

22 hours ago, evadgib said:

The article; it smacks of "bloke-in-a-pub" rather than anything genuine & seems to serve as clickbait for the publication it was in.

click-bait.jpg

Its crap start to finish,headline-grabbing stunt to draw in advertisers, awaiting especially for instalment number two, when Stan or Pete whatever the <deleted> name is, reveals all (if at all), and as stated he is still hiding out in Pattaya, obviously keeping his head down along with his unfrozen pension  LOL.  again we get the briefest of details from his court appearance, not exactly what it was about (if any) my bet is disability benefit or housing benefit, or both   Now if actually was crime of the century  ie stuffing one pocket with illicit gains by not living in PH ,ok  But if it was I would elect for crown court, if that would be possible,not only would the DWP wither on the vine ,but the jury itself would be having a whip round for the defendant.

Next time the Confederation of Whatever get together to launch an action against the UK govt re. frozen pensions, make sure its someone still paying tax in the UK, no taxation without representation  blah blah blah    anyway another 3 or 4 years of luvverly  pension rises ahead  Luvvly Jubbly                   I would go further ,all of these 'fake'  publications seem to have a base around the Liverpool/Birkenhead region  ,  would not be surprised if the origins of this load of crap sprang from around there either                                                   

1 hour ago, altcar bob said:

But if it was I would elect for crown court, if that would be possible,not only would the DWP wither on the vine ,but the jury itself would be having a whip round for the defendant.

I'm not so sure about that. There is a strong streak of envy, shared by many, about those of us who choose to make our lives abroad, and they are quite ready to believe that we're not entitled to anything. And when you point out that we're still paying our whack of income tax, they'll say, "Ah but you're not supporting the economy by buying things and paying VAT, or council tax." That may be illogical, but it has been said to me.

Don't expect any sympathy, especially if you've been bending the rules. 

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

If you have a VPN you can look at Mailonline.co.uk today scroll down and look for the Richard Littlejohn article he has commented on it and in the related articles you will find what disappeared from this is money.co.uk yesterday.

- and if you don't have a VPN, just download the Daily Mail app, it's all on there.

Only certain benefits can be reduced or stopped. These are called ‘sanctionable benefits’. But if you commit fraud on a benefit that can’t be reduced or stopped, your other benefits can be reduced instead.                                                                          Ok I will forego my spectacles/hearing aid grant,there just remains one punishment on the statute book ,that may just may browbeat the utter filth in receipt of ill-gotten gains, that has indeed not been applied for a number of years and of course that is death penalty, IM sure there is more than a few here that would haul up the orange box

49 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I'm not so sure about that. There is a strong streak of envy, shared by many, about those of us who choose to make our lives abroad, and they are quite ready to believe that we're not entitled to anything. And when you point out that we're still paying our whack of income tax, they'll say, "Ah but you're not supporting the economy by buying things and paying VAT, or council tax." That may be illogical, but it has been said to me.

Don't expect any sympathy, especially if you've been bending the rules. 

What you say is true but then the you forgot to mention the other side of the coin, the ex pats in Europe who get the benefits  and increases but  do not contribute to the UK economy and there are more of them than there are of us, then there is the NHS factor which we don't use but they still can benefit whether at home or abroad. In court case all the facts should be brought into play by the defence, if the DWP bothered to turn up.

2 hours ago, altcar bob said:

Only certain benefits can be reduced or stopped. These are called ‘sanctionable benefits’. But if you commit fraud on a benefit that can’t be reduced or stopped, your other benefits can be reduced instead.                                                                          Ok I will forego my spectacles/hearing aid grant,there just remains one punishment on the statute book ,that may just may browbeat the utter filth in receipt of ill-gotten gains, that has indeed not been applied for a number of years and of course that is death penalty, IM sure there is more than a few here that would haul up the orange box

"Et Tu Brute?"

(Loppylugs!)

'The DWP has a team of investigators tracking down benefit and state pension fraudsters in Spain, the most popular overseas destination for expats.'

Small wonder the ex-pats in Spain are flocking to Thailand en-mass, escape the dreaded clutches of the DWP, this surely is wonderful news for one and all, a heaven based sanctuary, free from worry and want

2 hours ago, altcar bob said:

'The DWP has a team of investigators tracking down benefit and state pension fraudsters in Spain, the most popular overseas destination for expats.'

Small wonder the ex-pats in Spain are flocking to Thailand en-mass, escape the dreaded clutches of the DWP, this surely is wonderful news for one and all, a heaven based sanctuary, free from worry and want

Would depend what they are trying to claim for I guess, but would be a difficult job, a job for diligent people.

The next 'dash to the door'  UKs door that is will commence in just over two years time when the allowance for the wife ends, forget the name of it, but yes it finishes in two years time April 2020. Carefully crafted it was too,   claim Thai wife about 60 a week, but it meant compulsory frozen pension which did take the shine off it a bit, probably why so many 'likers' ganged up together when discussing the frozen bit.  anyway, all you losing the allowance and claiming a move back to the UK will undoubtedly raise suspicions there at DWP HQ

6 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

The next 'dash to the door'  UKs door that is will commence in just over two years time when the allowance for the wife ends, forget the name of it, but yes it finishes in two years time April 2020. Carefully crafted it was too,   claim Thai wife about 60 a week, but it meant compulsory frozen pension which did take the shine off it a bit, probably why so many 'likers' ganged up together when discussing the frozen bit.  anyway, all you losing the allowance and claiming a move back to the UK will undoubtedly raise suspicions there at DWP HQ

yes will be a few glum faces that day

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

can somebody explain what claiming extra pension for a Thai wife is? I never heard of it

It's called the 'Adult Dependency Increase'. I don't know about anyone else, but it has been worth about £200 a month to me. It's certainly going to hurt when it's discontinued.

I Just missed out on that then, it's a lot of money to get snatched away. They do need it though for all those poor 'asylum seekers' :sad:
Oh come on us pensioners have loads of money.dont you see it in the papers.pictures of us lazing on beaches sipping martinies and living the high life .anyone can live an exotic life like us on about 10 grand a year.or so we are constantly being told while most freeze away in their unheated homes .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived