UK pensions

mrmazinkle

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

This is nonsense

Tax allowance entitlement is determined by nationality and tax residency status

instead of thinking what the rules are just apply, if it does not apply to you then it doesn't matter, the wife has to apply and she will need to prove her identity.   https://www.gov.uk/apply-marriage-allowance

''You will also need to prove your identity.this can be one of the following:

• the last 4 digits of the account that your child benefit, tax credits or pension is paid into
  • the last 4 digits of an account that pays you interest
  • details from your P60
  • details from any of your 3 most recent payslips
  • your passport number and expiry date''
39 minutes ago, steve187 said:

for a non UK citizen this could cause a problem. a way around this would be to generate some UK income.

'' If you’re not a UK resident, you have to claim the Personal Allowance at the end of each tax year in which you have UK income.''

Is this for EEA citizens.

Generating UK income would not automatically gain a tax allowance if non resident.

52 minutes ago, steve187 said:

for a non UK citizen this could cause a problem. a way around this would be to generate some UK income.

'' If you’re not a UK resident, you have to claim the Personal Allowance at the end of each tax year in which you have UK income.''

The relevant statute is the 2007 income tax act

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/3/contents

Part 3, chapters 35,36,37, and 56

Follow on from previous post (equally applies to Brits in Thailand):

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/australia/expat-british-retirees-call-on-malcolm-turnbull-to-end-pensions-freeze-ng-b88745482z

Key Phrase:

“Of the 53 Commonwealth countries, 48 have their pensions frozen, so for me this is a Commonwealth issue,” Mr Tilley said. “What the Brits are doing to us is blatant discrimination. It is absolutely unfair.”

& here's one from Canada...

I'm hoping someone can answer my query: I am due to receive my state pension later this year, I have checked the pension website and notice that they can & will pay into a foreign bank account, what caught my eye was the wording " Will be paid in local currency" does that mean that they will pay me in Thai Baht at whatever the going rate is ? Which would probably be a bad move.

I can have it paid into my UK bank account and then every couple of months transfer it here along with my small but handy Military pension in GBP at the exchange rate over here which is probably better than the rate used by government departments, my UK bank will charge me 20 quid for the pleasure but better than losing a shed load on a paltry exchange rate.

I was going to claim that I was still in the UK but unfortunately my new passport which only arrived last month has my Thai address attached to it so better be honest with them :wai:   

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm hoping someone can answer my query: I am due to receive my state pension later this year, I have checked the pension website and notice that they can & will pay into a foreign bank account, what caught my eye was the wording " Will be paid in local currency" does that mean that they will pay me in Thai Baht at whatever the going rate is ? Which would probably be a bad move.

I can have it paid into my UK bank account and then every couple of months transfer it here along with my small but handy Military pension in GBP at the exchange rate over here which is probably better than the rate used by government departments, my UK bank will charge me 20 quid for the pleasure but better than losing a shed load on a paltry exchange rate.

I was going to claim that I was still in the UK but unfortunately my new passport which only arrived last month has my Thai address attached to it so better be honest with them :wai:   

I used to get my pension paid into my UK bank account and took it out by ATM.

I then got it transferred directly and it costs about £3 a month and I specified transfer FROM the UK in GBP and KBank does the exchange at a slightly higher Forex than the TT exchange rate.

The drawback is that the UK pays my pension on a Wednesday but I don't normally see it until the following Tuesday. That does not include any Thai bank holidays which extend the payment date.

Other than that it is simple and easy.

This subject has been discussed many times and everybody seems to have a different opinion.

My pension day is on a Friday and the money usually arrives directly in my Thai account on the following  Tuesday. The payment is direct from the UK pension office and there are no transfer charges.

Eays Peasy has been doing this for years never a problem.

As for exchange rates, what is the exchange rate on a given day? Exchange rates fluctuate on a daily or even hourly basies so how do you know what rate they were using on what day in the 5 days that the transfer takes place.

I used to check the amount that arrived in my Thai bank against the the money sent and found it to be comparable to any of the exchange rates given for those days. After a while I stopped bothering to check and just enjoy the hassle free arrival of my pension every 4 weeks.

:smile:

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Wise move cos when you renew your PP the UK requires a copy of every page of your old PP which tells them of your movements during it's usage..:sad:

I know folk in LOS on retirement visa's that "live" in the UK claiming stuff and don't realise the PP tells all...

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps but they do it for a reason, a reason I can't fathom out other than ammunition in case of an event....

That's like saying Thai immigration want all the photocopies for your marriage extension 'for a reason'.

Anyway, as long as I go to the Philippines every year, that's where I live, evidence in my passport.

7 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That's like saying Thai immigration want all the photocopies for your marriage extension 'for a reason'.

Anyway, as long as I go to the Philippines every year, that's where I live, evidence in my passport.

Think the UK is moving to close gaps. Been watching UK real life police work via youtube on my wifi tele. They now have in car cameras that constantly scan number plates of rides, when it spots a ride with no tax, insurance, banned driver owner or no MOT it tells the officers on board. But the biggy is they also have a wee laptop that is linked to a data base with the history of anyone they maybe interested in. Plus now a roadside  test for "drug drivers"..

The net is closing in...:stoner:

22 minutes ago, transam said:

The net is closing in...:stoner:

It's an interesting discussion    ....... "where you live" ..... but I can find no legal definition for the term.

I certainly don't live in Thailand, (according to the Thai government) as I'm forced to leave the country every 90 days and own or rent no property.

I would define "where I live" as the address my British driving license, bank accounts and credit cards are registered.

Which is in the UK.

And suspect, unless you voluntarily declare differently, or have a legal right to live in another country, that's legally "where you live". It would be interesting to see them try and win a court case, as far as I know, there have been none.

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

It's an interesting discussion    ....... "where you live" ..... but I can find no legal definition for the term.

I certainly don't live in Thailand, (according to the Thai government) as I'm forced to leave the country every 90 days and own or rent no property.

I would define "where I live" as the address my British driving license, bank accounts and credit cards are registered.

Which is in the UK.

And suspect, unless you voluntarily declare differently, or have a legal right to live in another country, that's legally "where you live". It would be interesting to see them try and win a court case, as far as I know, there have been none.

My bank account is in the UK, I have a UK address - my daughters, the tax man, my ex employer - Civil service, the MoD from my Army days and National savings - ERNIE, my credit cards, all have that address, so I could say I live in the UK , but I am not resident there, and as my old passport would show I have been out of the UK for 7 years and being resident in the UK is the main requirement I would believe. I don't know how much the State Pension increases by annually but I really don't think it's worth the risk just for a couple of quid a week.  

6 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

My bank account is in the UK, I have a UK address - my daughters, the tax man, my ex employer - Civil service, the MoD from my Army days and National savings - ERNIE, my credit cards, all have that address, so I could say I live in the UK , but I am not resident there, and as my old passport would show I have been out of the UK for 7 years and being resident in the UK is the main requirement I would believe. I don't know how much the State Pension increases by annually but I really don't think it's worth the risk just for a couple of quid a week.  

Which is a voluntary decision and legal declaration you have chosen to make.

And I have no problem with that.

And as I said, I would like to  see a court case against a person who has made no such declaration, owns no property in another country, and has no legal right to live in another country. (I suspect it will never happen)

2 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps but they do it for a reason, a reason I can't fathom out other than ammunition in case of an event....

They don't do it at the call and collect passport office in London.

When I went there, they were processing around 250 passports/hour, turn around 2 hours (20-25 booths, appointments every 5 minutes).

Unless they have a magic machine photocopying a passport in 1 second ..... no way they had time for copies.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

When I went there, they were processing around 250 passports/hour, turn around 2 hours (20-25 booths, appointments every 5 minutes).

Unless they have a magic machine photocopying a passport in 1 second ..... no way they had time for copies.

Yes when i got my new passport in the uk ,she actually mentioned it"oh changed it in Bangkok last time is see' that was two and a half years ago .

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Renewing in LOS, folk who are NOT in the UK..

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

How much were they fined ,did they get imprisoned ,how were they dealt with in court if they are here in Thailand , can you give us all the details , of course you do not need to name them ,but it would be interesting to find all this out ,as of yet no one has ever said , and were their pensiones stopped etc etc , nice to know the details .

One I know got a fine of 1000 quid plus pay back cash he should not have received, one did not get fined because he had a medical problem that was proven, bit of a story to that. The third ended back in the UK and l don't know the outcome, we think perhaps grassed up..

1 hour ago, transam said:

One I know got a fine of 1000 quid plus pay back cash he should not have received, one did not get fined because he had a medical problem that was proven, bit of a story to that. The third ended back in the UK and l don't know the outcome, we think perhaps grassed up..

So were they all prosecuted in a court in Britain ,?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Any such court record would be published and reported, I've never seen one, so it didn't happen, or it wasn't a pension increase offense.

Archived