UK pensions

mrmazinkle

A digression  from the current  input.

But isn't it amazing that  Vince Cable  happily  puts his oar in the water  on the situation shown in he link below very quickly,  yet when it comes to the outright theft, fraudulent and blatant discrimination practices concerning one section of U K pensioners he is mute. 

Vince Cable, yet another born again  political opportunist rectum

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/university-strike-lecturers-pensions-government-vince-cable-a8225801.html

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, altcar bob said:

From the past master of the most descriptive bizarre punishments available to the  (yes I admit) miscreants of the most heinous of crimes that could possibly befall these rogue elements that infect the entire Thai society, yes truly a punishment that entirely fits the crime, make it 'correct'

Years ago you must have put the fear of God amonst the dithering few, you know, the ones wafting between good and bad ie frozen /unfrozen, well there must be a few wanting to kick your arse....heres one or two of your misquotes   'met at the airport by police on return from frozen country'  lol    'fight to get your pension re-installed' another lol   as I said later your only saving grace was your posted quotes are  rountinely cleared out to make room for more, yours unfortunetly amongst them,there were more ,but laughter put paid to them ( I pissed myself)

Banter and humour are perfectly acceptable but you are going way OTT as you did when posting as loppylugs & earlier incarnations in which you plagued the thread. Instead of torpedoing & scattering posters as seems your intent we should in fact be uniting behind the consortium & pushing their agenda as that is the only way this fiasco will come to an end. Are you even a member?

http://pensionjustice.org/

40 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

I am wondering here as you mention Pension Credits that you could ever consider ever living in Thailand, as for that matter anywhere outside GB for more than 2 xs 4 weeks annually, and as you state your 'net worth in cash' makes ineligibility to take up Pension Credit to date)   Now that is most definitely a criminal  act

Do you actually read what people write or do you just scan the page and apply your interpretation of what you think it said ?

Go back and read my first post #3738, you will see from that that I am not actually in receipt of my state pension yet, I can claim in a couple of months time so I am exploring my options as to best way to have it paid (UK or here) also if I would be entitled to any additional benefits which as I have already said I am not.

I currently get my Military pension and my Civil Service pension that has been moved to a QUROPS for tax reasons, all perfectly legal, and have sufficient savings and investments to keep me more than comfortable. Sheesh you are hard work.

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The Consortium should start knocking these out with their details on the back :smile:

Image result for wind your neck in

If you ever think the status quo will ever change, more fool you, wasting time, energy effort. Stated already any change to uplift pensions, small beer at first, rapidly rising into a billion plus, again waste of time, energy, money, hoping against hope, put that neck of yours in a noose, you'll need it in time     ..and I might add the specific intentions of yours when time comes up, yes have seen them, but taken down ever so quickly

21 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

If you ever think the status quo will ever change, more fool you, wasting time, energy effort. Stated already any change to uplift pensions, small beer at first, rapidly rising into a billion plus, again waste of time, energy, money, hoping against hope, put that neck of yours in a noose, you'll need it in time

It will be over before I achieve state pension age. If more of your generation had got off their arrses at the age I am now Jim Tilley & 600k others worldwide would already be enjoying the benefits (or should that be Entitlements!) instead of spending all day lobbying & getting slagged off in the comments section of the DM, Sun etc by half-wits who think non-resident OAPs are trying to plunder "My (ie their) taxes":shock1:

3 hours ago, transam said:

He is 75 years old, had a brain hemorrhage which has left him in a bit of a mess. His sister in the UK handled his paperwork, he did nothing because he can't. She just used her a address for all his correspondence and did not know about locked pensions.. He escaped any fine/problem because all was explained to the authorities but he had to pay back the over payments..

A 75 year old with a brain hemorrhage probably doesn't know his own name or the day of the week, let alone where he lives.

As I said, your chum isn't a credible source, not through any fault of his own.

Just now, evadgib said:

It will be over before I achieve state pension age. If more of your generation had got off their arrses at the age I am now Jim Tilley & 600k others worldwide would already be enjoying the benefits (or should that be Entitlements!) instead of spending all day lobbying & getting slagged off in the comments section of the DM, Sun etc by half-wits who think we're trying to plunder "My" (ie their!) taxes!

Told you,it will never change.too entrenched in homeland thinking,could not give a hoot for expats'if more of my age'  well not many left then, its only the half-wits who constantly droll out the inevitable crap, that are already are in the net,  see it here in these threads.,all the likers, shared cold comfort let them stay there instead of dire warnings of  imminent pain /suffering  Nothing has ever happened, re 'getting caught' nothing ever will, way to go

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

One of the big problems is the ambiguous language used. The DWP uses the term "permanently resident abroad"but we are all aware that very few that live in Thailand are permanent residents. The opposite would be "permanently resident in the UK" so how much time would need to be spent in the UK for the DWP to consider you were a permanent resident. At the end of the day it would require a legal ruling to determine a definitive interpretation, until then the debate will continue.

Permanently resident abroad .........  I don't believe you can define an opposite to be "permanently resident in the UK"

9 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

A 75 year old with a brain hemorrhage probably doesn't know his own name or the day of the week, let alone where he lives.

As I said, your chum isn't a credible source, not through any fault of his own.

The guy is OK in mind, he told me his story, we have a couple of beers together every week, even though he has been left an epileptic, had a stroke and heart attack, just hanging in...

4 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

Told you,it will never change.too entrenched in homeland thinking,could not give a hoot for expats'if more of my age'  well not many left then, its only the half-wits who constantly droll out the inevitable crap, that are already are in the net,  see it here in these threads.,all the likers, shared cold comfort let them stay there instead of dire warnings of  imminent pain /suffering  Nothing has ever happened, re 'getting caught' nothing ever will, way to go

Yet when the inevitable U turn occurs it'll be...

Related image

I have read this thread along with others for years and like others i am sure i checked it out on the internet and the govt websites .some on here know someone or someone who knows someone who was caught. And had their pension stopped or were fined etc
But the govt website says you pension can NOT be stopped no ifs no buts thats what it says. And while there is quite a bit about benifit fraud there is NOTHING on anyone on google,yahoo etc being prosecuted for claiming increases while living in any country.
Thats it just my little bit to add to the discusion. If i am wrong sorry please enlighten me

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, transam said:

He is 75 years old, had a brain hemorrhage which has left him in a bit of a mess. His sister in the UK handled his paperwork, he did nothing because he can't. She just used her a address for all his correspondence and did not know about locked pensions.. He escaped any fine/problem because all was explained to the authorities but he had to pay back the over payments..

If this is correct, then I suspect he voluntarily paid back the so called over payment, probably after being harassed by the bullying authority.

If on the other hand, he had told them to screw themselves,then no further action would have taken place,except that any Future payments would have reverted to his frozen rate.

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

From the GOV.UK website:

Search

Benefit fraud

You commit benefit fraud by claiming benefits you’re not entitled to on purpose. For example by:

• not reporting a change in your circumstances
  • providing false information

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

What happens if you’re suspected of benefit fraud

You’ll be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the Service and Personnel and Veterans Agency or your local authority if you’re suspected of fraud.

Your benefit may be stopped while you’re investigated. You’ll get a letter telling you about this if it happens.

You may be visited by Fraud Investigation Officers (FIOs) or asked to attend an interview to talk about your claim - this is called an ‘interview under caution’.

FIOs will gather facts about your case and decide whether to take further action.

If you’re asked to attend an interview

An ‘interview under caution’ is a formal interview that is often recorded. It could become part of a criminal investigation against you.

Get advice on your case (for example from a legal adviser or solicitor).

You can also get help and information about ‘interviews under caution’ from:

What happens after a benefit fraud investigation

If you’ve committed or attempted fraud, one or more of the following may also happen:

• you’ll be told to pay back the overpaid money
  • you may be taken to court or asked to pay a penalty (between £350 and £5,000)
  • your benefits may be reduced or stopped

Losing benefits if you’re convicted of benefit fraud

Your benefits can be reduced or stopped for up to 3 years if you’re convicted of benefit fraud. The amount of time they’re stopped for depends on how many times you’ve committed fraud.

Only certain benefits can be reduced or stopped. These are called ‘sanctionable benefits’. But if you commit fraud on a benefit that can’t be reduced or stopped, your other benefits can be reduced instead.

Sanctionable benefits

The following benefits can be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:

• Carer’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Reduced Earnings Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Retirement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Unemployability Supplement
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • War Disablement Pension
  • War Widow’s Pension 

• War Pension Unemployability Supplement 

• War Pension Allowance for Lower Standard of Occupation 

• Widowed Mother’s/Parent’s Allowance
  • Widow’s Pension/Bereavement Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit

Benefits that can’t be reduced or stopped

The following benefits can’t be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:

• Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Payment
  • Bereavement Support Payment
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Christmas Bonus
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Graduated Retirement Benefit
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Constant Attendance Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable) 

• Industrial Injuries Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable)
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • State Pension
  • Social Fund Payments
  • War Pension Constant Attendance Allowance 

• War Pension Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance 

• War Pension Mobility Supplement

Exceptions

If you commit benefit fraud and you get any of the following, none of your payments can be stopped or reduced:

• Maternity Allowance
  • Statutory Adoption Pay
  • Statutory Maternity Pay
  • Statutory Paternity Pay
  • Statutory Sick Pay

As the pension is not a benefit,you could not be done for benefit fraud  if you claimed the rises abroad  could you?

35 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

As the pension is not a benefit,you could not be done for benefit fraud  if you claimed the rises abroad  could you?

You don't claim raises, they send them.

They would have to accuse you of 'failing to refuse raises'

Which in itself would be unlikely to have any penalty attached.

Earlier today I accessed the DWP website. I detail below the relevant extract for the perusal of contributors to this thread:   

DWP benefits that we can recover overpayments of under social security legislation
(S71 of the Social Security Administration Act) and that we can take compulsory
deductions from.
 Attendance Allowance
 Bereavement Benefit
 Carer’s Allowance
 Disability Living Allowance
 Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
 Incapacity Benefit
 Income Support
 Industrial Death Benefit
 Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
 Jobseeker’s Allowance
 Maternity Allowance
 *New style Jobseeker’s Allowance
 **New style ESA
 Pension Credit
 Personal Independence Payment
 Pneumoconiosis, Byssinosis & Miscellaneous Disease Benefit
 Reduced Earnings Allowance
 Retirement Pension
 Severe Disablement Allowance
 State Pension
 Universal Credit
 Widows Benefit
 Widowed Mothers Allowance
 Workers Compensation (Supplementation) Benefit

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I think you will have proven your point, when you can provide solid proof that the DWP has actually taken someone to court, in order to recoup any over payment of their frozen pension.

Then you have not understood the essence of my point which is; they don't need to take anyone to court, they just recover any past over payments from future payments. If you don't like it then you would have to take them to court and that's why you can't find any court cases when you do an internet search.

16 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Then you have not understood the essence of my point which is; they don't need to take anyone to court, they just recover any past over payments from future payments. If you don't like it then you would have to take them to court and that's why you can't find any court cases when you do an internet search.

Yes, I see your point, though I think, correctly or not, that the DWP would not take that action, as it could leave a pensioner in a very vulnerable position.

I have heard of pensioners being caught out,in claiming the yearly increase, to which they were not ‘legally” entitled. What happened then,was they were sent a strong letter,with notification that their state pension would revert to the frozen figure, however there was no insistence that they Must make a payment back, or that the DWP would deduct those overpayments from their future pension payments.

They then continued to receive their FUll frozen pension.

23 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Yes, I see your point, though I think, correctly or not, that the DWP would not take that action, as it could leave a pensioner in a very vulnerable position.

I have heard of pensioners being caught out,in claiming the yearly increase, to which they were not ‘legally” entitled. What happened then,was they were sent a strong letter,with notification that their state pension would revert to the frozen figure, however there was no insistence that they Must make a payment back, or that the DWP would deduct those overpayments from their future pension payments.

They then continued to receive their FUll frozen pension.

When the DWP become aware that an over payment has taken place they start by reducing the payment the correct level then write to the pensioner seeking recovery of the past over payments. If the OAP agrees and pays back the money that is normally the end of the matter. If the OAP can't repay the overpaid amount the DWP have provisions to agree a planned recovery of the overpayment with the OAP.  If a recovery plan is agreed that is normally the end of the matter as the OAP is unable to default in payments that he has agreed to and which are in any event, taken automatically. If he is crazy enough to resist through court proceedings then he is funding his own legal expenses, say £25000 for 5 days.  He would have no prospect of success as the DWP could prove irrefutably that the money was theirs and had been overpaid. The only possible case that could win would be where the OAP had told the DWP that he was moving to a "frozen" country and the DWP had paid the unfrozen pension despite being told this. 

Well-in all of this my biggest fear is that Jeremy Corbyn and his bunch of clowns get in at the next election and trash the economy.Then, when as usual, they run out of money things like pensions could be “ means tested”etc...and as for the GBP if they get in-god help us all.
I am 62....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

He would have no prospect of success as the DWP could prove irrefutably that the money was theirs and had been overpaid.

You are wrong,

The DWP would need to prove he was "permanently resident abroad" and in which country.

And IMHO that would be impossible for a person without some sort of permanent residency or citizenship in another country, or their own admission/declaration.

At the moment in the UK, you need to prove guilt, before you can claim anything.

As far as I know, the UK government couldn't even prove I had ever left the UK (let alone where I went).

(The police certainly don't know I am out of the country, 'cos they keep calling round my UK address to try and arrest/question me)

(Same for debt collectors)

The DWP allowed me to open a gateway account last year (has to be done in the UK).

The only foreign transactions on my bank accounts, were a few Philippines ATM withdrawals.

And my passport was lost in London yesterday (if anyone asks).

If "they" get in the frozen pensions will be a thing of the past according to their last manifesto.

My greatest fear is that these Tory muppets get in again.

You must be joking.if for no other reason than wanting a better exchange rate.if Corbyn gets in 43 baht to the pound will be a great figure to get .once Brexit is done and dusted the rate should at least go back up to 52 to the pound. As for frozen pensiones being a thing of the past dont hold your breath he ssid university fees would be .backtracked on that one already.never believe what a politician says

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived