UK pensions

mrmazinkle

3 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

If "they" get in the frozen pensions will be a thing of the past according to their last manifesto.

My greatest fear is that these Tory muppets get in again.

Have you got a link to Labours manifesto stating that frozen pensions in Thailand will be a thing of the past?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

When the DWP become aware that an over payment has taken place they start by reducing the payment the correct level then write to the pensioner seeking recovery of the past over payments. If the OAP agrees and pays back the money that is normally the end of the matter. If the OAP can't repay the overpaid amount the DWP have provisions to agree a planned recovery of the overpayment with the OAP.  If a recovery plan is agreed that is normally the end of the matter as the OAP is unable to default in payments that he has agreed to and which are in any event, taken automatically. If he is crazy enough to resist through court proceedings then he is funding his own legal expenses, say £25000 for 5 days.  He would have no prospect of success as the DWP could prove irrefutably that the money was theirs and had been overpaid. The only possible case that could win would be where the OAP had told the DWP that he was moving to a "frozen" country and the DWP had paid the unfrozen pension despite being told this. 

One small point here ,if you are on a pension and have no money you get legal aid ,no way would you have to pay 25k for lawyers fees , and a case like that would never last 5 days anyway ,

12 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

One small point here ,if you are on a pension and have no money you get legal aid ,no way would you have to pay 25k for lawyers fees , and a case like that would never last 5 days anyway ,

But you may have to appear in court which means air fares, accommodation and "UK" living expenses. It maybe adjourned and you have to appear again at a later date..Yes a lot of guess work but if one knowing knows they are fiddling then that is the risk one takes..

A small but related point I would like to make, a friend of mine over here in receipt of his pension received a request from the DWP to present himself at an office close to his registered UK address, ostensibly to prove that he was alive and still entitled to receive his pension. That ruffled a few feathers I can tell you, he was about 80 at the time.

It could also have been a covert attempt to see if he was in the UK. 

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

A small but related point I would like to make, a friend of mine over here in receipt of his pension received a request from the DWP to present himself at an office close to his registered UK address, ostensibly to prove that he was alive and still entitled to receive his pension. That ruffled a few feathers I can tell you, he was about 80 at the time.

It could also have been a covert attempt to see if he was in the UK. 

The guy I was told paid the 1000 quid fine was in his 80's..I know the guy too but not cricket to ask and clarify..

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

260 pages, and nobody to say it happened to them.

Unbelievable (literally)!

I know many farangs where I live but I only personally know ONE who is a member of this forum

I would suggest that a bloke on the fiddle will not let his chums know he is fiddling a few quid...

But I do know a bloke who openly told me he was fiddling but didn't care, he will face it if it happened, plus he had a property in the UK he rented out he could sell IF stuff became "big time"....

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Well alright, drop the figures down to one day and £5000; its still sufficient to be a deterrent.  You would have to apply for legal aid which you might get if they were suing you, which of course is not what we are discussing here; you certainly wouldn't get it if you were suing them. You would also have to fly back and fund your travel, subsistence and costs of temporary residence in the UK so you would need to be a brave men to bring a case of this kind.

1 minute ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

You would also have to fly back and fund your travel, subsistence and costs of temporary residence in the UK so you would need to be a brave men to bring a case of this kind.

I don't have to fly back anywhere, as I have never left the UK.

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You are wrong,

The DWP would need to prove he was "permanently resident abroad" and in which country.

And IMHO that would be impossible for a person without some sort of permanent residency or citizenship in another country, or their own admission/declaration.

At the moment in the UK, you need to prove guilt, before you can claim anything.

As far as I know, the UK government couldn't even prove I had ever left the UK (let alone where I went).

(The police certainly don't know I am out of the country, 'cos they keep calling round my UK address to try and arrest/question me)

(Same for debt collectors)

The DWP allowed me to open a gateway account last year (has to be done in the UK).

The only foreign transactions on my bank accounts, were a few Philippines ATM withdrawals.

And my passport was lost in London yesterday (if anyone asks).

Wrong, I don't think so. You are still thinking about this in terms of the DWP bringing a claim against the OAP. They don't need to so they don't have to prove anything. They first recover the money without court proceedings the you are the one who has to prove things.

See below taken from the DWP website:

"DWP benefits that we can recover overpayments of under social security legislation
(S71 of the Social Security Administration Act) and that we can take compulsory
deductions from.
 Attendance Allowance
 Bereavement Benefit
 Carer’s Allowance
 Disability Living Allowance
 Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
 Incapacity Benefit
 Income Support
 Industrial Death Benefit
 Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
 Jobseeker’s Allowance
 Maternity Allowance
 *New style Jobseeker’s Allowance
 **New style ESA
 Pension Credit
 Personal Independence Payment
 Pneumoconiosis, Byssinosis & Miscellaneous Disease Benefit
 Reduced Earnings Allowance
 Retirement Pension
 Severe Disablement Allowance
 State Pension
 Universal Credit
 Widows Benefit
 Widowed Mothers Allowance
 Workers Compensation (Supplementation) Benefit

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Have you got a link to Labours manifesto stating that frozen pensions in Thailand will be a thing of the past?

As soon as a Labour MP or councilor etc's lips move, you know he is lying, working mans party?? Aye right, never in my lifetime.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As soon as a Labour MP or councilor etc's lips move, you know he is lying, working mans party?? Aye right, never in my lifetime.

Are you saying that you don't think that the country would be in safe hands with McDonnell and Abbott at the side of Corbyn. What could possibly go wrong. ???

Are you saying that you don't think that the country would be in safe hands with McDonnell and Abbott at the side of Corbyn. What could possibly go wrong. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Having Abbott by the side of Corbyn running the country would be like me doing a heart transplant at a bar in soi 6 [emoji41][emoji41][emoji16]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

58 minutes ago, vogie said:

Are you saying that you don't think that the country would be in safe hands with McDonnell and Abbott at the side of Corbyn. What could possibly go wrong. ???

Everything has went wrong with every Labour government in my lifetime, they are bigger liars and hypocrites than all the other political parties put together.

13 hours ago, transam said:

One things for sure when it comes to UK tax payers money, they don't let it drop.

In the UK if your tax return is sent in late they slap you with a 100 quid fine..:sad:

nearly 10 months to get it in without being hit with a fine.

Okay, so a general consensus of opinion please then from our esteemed members, my new passport has my Thai address on it, gleaned from my Thai driving licence, the fact that I no longer live at that address is immaterial.

I can apply for my state pension around about June, do I use my daughters address or come clean and tell them I am living in a country where it will be frozen from day 1.

All responses welcome as I believe the trolls have been silenced. TIA

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Okay, so a general consensus of opinion please then from our esteemed members, my new passport has my Thai address on it, gleaned from my Thai driving licence, the fact that I no longer live at that address is immaterial.

I can apply for my state pension around about June, do I use my daughters address or come clean and tell them I am living in a country where it will be frozen from day 1.

Many on this thread have faced the same dilemma. Should I engage in a deception and receive the future increases or tell the truth and receive no increases ?

I believe in democracy and the rule of law so if I had to make this decision I think I would reluctantly come down on the side of telling the truth. Notwithstanding this I have the utmost sympathy and understanding for those who try to overcome this problem by deception.

Use a UK address.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

My thought is that we are now in the hi-tech digital age, doesn't matter where you turn tech is taking over, so l reckon it won't be long before all the dots will join up to reveal fraudsters not following the rules regarding pension payout..As it is now ones passport tells all if there was a tech link, which l think will happen in the future..

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

It's really up to you. If you believe there is no moral objection to failing to observe the regulations (I won't put it as strongly as 'breaking the law') then go ahead and use your daughter's address. But you must also believe that the deception is unlikely to be discovered and that there would be no penalty if it is. There is scant evidence that this is happening - yet.

Frankly I couldn't care less what you do. For me the easy way out is to tell the truth and take the consequences.

Archived