UK pensions

mrmazinkle

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It's called the 'Adult Dependency Increase'. I don't know about anyone else, but it has been worth about £200 a month to me. It's certainly going to hurt when it's discontinued.

However if you are paying tax your tax bill will be reduced as well.

6 hours ago, i claudius said:

Oh come on us pensioners have loads of money.dont you see it in the papers.pictures of us lazing on beaches sipping martinies and living the high life .anyone can live an exotic life like us on about 10 grand a year.or so we are constantly being told while most freeze away in their unheated homes .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A bit tricky for me as I live 500km from the seaside and the beach and I don't drink Martoonies. I am a Sang Dom rum, soda and ice man.

21 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I Just missed out on that then, it's a lot of money to get snatched away. They do need it though for all those poor 'asylum seekers' :sad:

I do not think you 'missed' out on anything. It's at what point the frozen/unfrozen bit came into play. do not think the dependency allowance was subject to increase, did consider it initially but ran into too many problems. Its the compounded amount that will add to OAP,(unf), just in the coming year of 3% increase will add roughly 22 a month, that is just one month, then compounding increase it considerably, over the years obv at what point a start is made.,  and then full circle  at the point you started at. Think it was the husband's income  so taxed

Might have confused a few, did put the piece up a while ago and stated CC ... not the crown court but county court sorry for conf.  DWP trying to impose frozen pension on a woman she resisted, thus ending up in court.  The story did carry the young journalist's pic  small box photo alongside it and his (journalist )stomping ground was South Lakes,N Lancs...anyway, DWP threw their hat in, gave up

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I had a trip to the UK so I wrote to the DWP and claimed the pension increase for the time in the UK but there was no acknowledgement, which was consistent with the year before but this time there was no addition to my pension. A few weeks later I wrote again with exactly the same results, or lack of them.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to have another go but this time wrote to the DWP complaints department. last week I got a form through saying that £84.04 would be paid to my bank within days, and it was.

The last claim just showed up as a sum added to my pension without any breakdown. From the form last week it would appear that additional benefit is dealt with on a weekly basis. I was paid 4 weeks from 6th July until 4th Aug but was actually in the UK from 11th July until 8th Aug. Also the difference shown was £21.04 per week which would make the current basic pension £128.46 under the old system as my pension is frozen at £107.45.

Yesterday I got a letter from the complaints department saying that I hadn't received the level of service that I was entitled to and would receive £25 for the inconvenience. That could take up to 6 weeks to be processed.

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Last year I had a trip to the UK so I wrote to the DWP and claimed the pension increase for the time in the UK but there was no acknowledgement, which was consistent with the year before but this time there was no addition to my pension. A few weeks later I wrote again with exactly the same results, or lack of them.

I call them shortly after I arrive in the UK, when we visited over Christmas I called them giving them the dates I was going to be in the UK, adding any time spent in the EU enroute, the lady asked for my NI number, a postcode of an address I would be staying during my stay and a telephone number, I was on the phone for less than five minutes and the lady was friendly and helpful.
Sixty pounds hit my account three weeks later with the balance being added to my regular pension payment on the 20th January, like you I didn't get a breakdown, maybe I will due course.
By using the quick phone call route I know my claim has been received and it's always paid promptly.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, billd766 said:

However if you are paying tax your tax bill will be reduced as well.

just while on paying tax in the UK, are people claiming the 'marriage allowance' , worth  this year £230 to a tax payer.    - https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance  and here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It looks to me that to claim it both of you have to be in the UK and working also.

The government website itself says the following. My interpretation of the words I've underlined is that it makes no difference if you're not working or living in the UK, but maybe there's somebody who has claimed and can share their experience.

It won’t affect your application for Marriage Allowance if you or your partner:

• are currently receiving a pension
  • live abroad - as long as you get a Personal Allowance.

Edit:- looking further on, it says this:-

To benefit as a couple, you need to earn less than your partner and have an income of £11,500 or less.

Whether that extends to someone like my missis, who has no income, is not clear. 

24 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The government website itself says the following. My interpretation of the words I've underlined is that it makes no difference if you're not working or living in the UK, but maybe there's somebody who has claimed and can share their experience.

It won’t affect your application for Marriage Allowance if you or your partner:

• are currently receiving a pension
  • live abroad - as long as you get a Personal Allowance.

Edit:- looking further on, it says this:-

To benefit as a couple, you need to earn less than your partner and have an income of £11,500 or less.

Whether that extends to someone like my missis, who has no income, is not clear. 

My apologies as I misunderstood it. :sorry:

As I see it you need to earn less than your partner, so you partner must be in work and earn more than you.

Again my interpretation is that to transfer the Marriage allowance to your partner, your partner must be in the UK taxation system and paying UK income tax.

I am not sure if your partner is working for example in an EU country (unless they were employed by a UK company) whether income tax paid in an offshore company would be counted as UK income for tax purposes.

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As I see it you need to earn less than your partner, so you partner must be in work and earn more than you.

Again my interpretation is that to transfer the Marriage allowance to your partner, your partner must be in the UK taxation system and paying UK income tax.

I think that's how it works. My wife is in the UK system, but now has no taxable income - so I doubt whether I can use any of her tax allowance. But if anyone knows different, I'd be glad to know.

7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I think that's how it works. My wife is in the UK system, but now has no taxable income - so I doubt whether I can use any of her tax allowance. But if anyone knows different, I'd be glad to know.

as long as the lower earner in your case the wife, has a NI number and you are paying UK tax, then you can claim the 10%  marriage allowance, i know of a few people that claim it, one wife has worked in the UK previously, but doesn't work now, another where the wife only receives a UK state pension, and the 3rd both parties work. claim submitted on line. - https://www.gov.uk/apply-marriage-allowance

edit claim back dated to 2015

On 01/02/2018 at 1:16 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, I think that's how it works as well.

I was trying to ascertain if my wife would be taxed on all of her widows pension in due course, or would she benefit from the personal tax allowance meaning that the first £11,500 would be tax free with the rest being taxed at the appropriate rate.

It was virtually impossible to get a definitive answer from HMRC as all they supply is links in response for advice.
The links imply that the personal allowance can only be claimed for those resident in the UK, giving her a tax liability of £2,300 on the allowance she wouldn't be able to claim.

That leads me to think that I couldn't transfer any tax allowance at this stage.  

3 hours ago, pontious said:

You do not have to be resident in the UK to claim.

Your wife does not need to be in work, or ever worked.  She must have a National Insurance no.

You apply online.

I'm a British Citizen and my wife is Thai. We moved to the UK a several years ago for about two years but then returned to Thailand to live about eight years ago. Whilst in the UK my wife worked full time, paid income tax and has a National Insurance number. She no longer has a UK income but I pay UK taxes on my pensions. Are you suggesting I can claim some of my wife's tax allowance even though she doesn't live in the UK?.

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

I'm a British Citizen and my wife is Thai. We moved to the UK a several years ago for about two years but then returned to Thailand to live about eight years ago. Whilst in the UK my wife worked full time, paid income tax and has a National Insurance number. She no longer has a UK income but I pay UK taxes on my pensions. Are you suggesting I can claim some of my wife's tax allowance even though she doesn't live in the UK?.

Assuming you are a Basic Rate taxpayer - yes.

You apply here - https://www.gov.uk / apply - marriage - allowance (Just type that in ]

The personal allowance for 2018-2019 is 11850 so you will get an extra 10 percent { 1185 so your allowance will be 13035- you may be able to claim back to 2015.

You will get an email back.

33 minutes ago, pontious said:

Assuming you are a Basic Rate taxpayer - yes.

You apply here - https://www.gov.uk / apply - marriage - allowance (Just type that in ]

The personal allowance for 2018-2019 is 11850 so you will get an extra 10 percent { 1185 so your allowance will be 13035- you may be able to claim back to 2015.

You will get an email back.

How does his Thai wife who is not resident in the UK qualify for a personal tax allowance.?

8 hours ago, pontious said:

You do not have to be resident in the UK to claim.

Your wife does not need to be in work, or ever worked.  She must have a National Insurance no.

You apply online.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

However,

quote "

If you’re moving to the UK

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

Working without a National Insurance number

You can start work before your National Insurance number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK. You should tell your employer that you’ve applied for one, and give it to them when you have it.

National Insurance number interview

Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number.

The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, such as:

passport or identity card

residence permit

birth or adoption certificate

marriage or civil partnership certificate

driving licence

You’ll be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.

29 minutes ago, billd766 said:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

However,

quote "

If you’re moving to the UK

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

Working without a National Insurance number

You can start work before your National Insurance number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK. You should tell your employer that you’ve applied for one, and give it to them when you have it.

National Insurance number interview

Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number.

The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, such as:

passport or identity card

residence permit

birth or adoption certificate

marriage or civil partnership certificate

driving licence

You’ll be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.

It is my understanding that the lower earner is transferring a portion of their tax allowance to the higher earner. To be able to do this the lower earner would have to be entitled to a tax allowance

7 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

It is my understanding that the lower earner is transferring a portion of their tax allowance to the higher earner. To be able to do this the lower earner would have to be entitled to a tax allowance

Can you have a tax allowance in the UK if you are not working or paying tax? What about if you are unemployed and living in another country?

I honestly have no idea.

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

How does his Thai wife who is not resident in the UK qualify for a personal tax allowance.?

She must have a National Insurance number to transfer a portion of her allowance If  she does not have one she would have to be resident in the UK to apply for one.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Can you have a tax allowance in the UK if you are not working or paying tax? What about if you are unemployed and living in another country?

I honestly have no idea.

Yes - in 2017-2018 you could earn 11500 pounds before you pay tax. If you are unemployed and live  abroad you obviously will not pay tax anyway.

3 minutes ago, pontious said:

She must have a National Insurance number to transfer a portion of her allowance If  she does not have one she would have to be resident in the UK to apply for one.

No, you are missing the point.

It is possible to have an NI number but not entitled to a tax allowance. NI do not cancel when a person's right to work in the UK ceases.

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I honestly have no idea.

I am going to say yes and no. It depends on the individuals' circumstances. A British national will be entitled to a tax allowance regardless of their tax residency status. A non British national ( for EEA unsure), it is determined by their tax residency status

1 minute ago, rockingrobin said:

No, you are missing the point.

It is possible to have an NI number but not entitled to a tax allowance. NI do not cancel when a person's right to work in the UK ceases.

If you have  a NI Number you are entitled to a personal allowance..Moving abroad does not cancel it.

Archived